Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Unable to 'express' creativity

Veritum

I am generally a really creative person, and have many ideas and such, but I never really had the skills to pull anything off. I would like to sing, record myself and stuff but I can't because there are always people in my house. I would like to learn flash animation but it's kind of overwhelming, and I'd also like to learn how to create music. 

It is kind of overwhelming to try to learn them all, so I am almost wondering if it would just be better to focus directly on one, but then I would have no idea which one to work on. I have a really strong feeling for contributing to the fandom and such, but I just can't find a proper medium to express all of the ideas I have. For instance, I have several ideas for PMVs (Rainbow factory, awoken and pegasus device to name a select few), I have a few ideas for songs, and I have a few ideas for remixes, but as said I don't know where to start or where to focus. 

Anyone have advice? Any would be appreciated, such as what to pick, how to learn them, if I should take them on one at a time, or stuff like that. Thanks :)

• Brohoof 3

Ok, take it from someone who self taught himself more than a handful of platforms and programming languages, tried to write a novel when I was 16 before I even wrote a proper short story, etc ... don't take on too much at first. Seriously. You will get overwhelmed (like you are now) and give up. There is no shortage of Flash tutorial video's online, go slow, take your time. This is with any skill you learn. One thing at a time.

I have no talent for creating music. None. So to me it would be the hardest. Flash can be learned in a few dedicated weeks/months ... but it takes years to feel like you are an expert. If you are talking about animating Ponies and not web elements, you are likely going to need to study a lot of animation fundamentals at you go, and you should start at simpler animations first.  I would suggest starting with baby steps. Create a simple PMV with show animation and fan art set to a non Pony song. Video editing practice is a must and you will likely see quicker results and thus build your confidence.

Also, you seem to be an idea guy. Ever thought of writing/producing a collaboration project. Start small. 

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Ok, take it from someone who self taught himself more than a handful of platforms and programming languages, tried to write a novel when I was 16 before I even wrote a proper short story, etc ... don't take on too much at first. Seriously. You will get overwhelmed (like you are now) and give up. There is no shortage of Flash tutorial video's online, go slow, take your time. This is with any skill you learn. One thing at a time.

I have no talent for creating music. None. So to me it would be the hardest. Flash can be learned in a few dedicated weeks/months ... but it takes years to feel like you are an expert. If you are talking about animating Ponies and not web elements, you are likely going to need to study a lot of animation fundamentals at you go, and you should start at simpler animations first.  I would suggest starting with baby steps. Create a simple PMV with show animation and fan art set to a non Pony song. Video editing practice is a must and you will likely see quicker results and thus build your confidence.

Also, you seem to be an idea guy. Ever thought of writing/producing a collaboration project. Start small. 

Alright. Thanks for the advice, I should probably just take my time to learn everything as I go, like maybe watch an actual full series and learn all the tricks to flash. Seriously though, thanks :)

Also possibly, I may try writing something some time, though I was never really a fan of language arts or writing papers, but perhaps writing about stuff I like would work out better?

Edited by Vectify

So you want to learn music? Go to your local community college and register for classes in their music department. I would suggest starting with classes like "Music Fundamentals", "College Choir", and perhaps "Music and Computers". I don't know what they would be called at your college but that's what they're called at the community college I'll be attending starting September.

Being a good musician/singer/songwriter isn't something you can just suddenly do without training unless you have a special talent for it. Community colleges are a relatively low-cost way to get the knowledge and skills you need to make music.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I understand what you mean. It's very frustrating to have ideas and not be able to express them.

I tend to have this feeling quite often, not being able to draw/animate/compose what I have in my head.

You are right, you should learn all this one at a time.

However, don't forget your ideas for other things : I tend to keep a notebook on me at all times.

For recording and singing : well, just close the door and tell whoever is with you not to enter ! If the problem is that you don't like people hearing you when you sing/act, then I don't really know.

Animation :

Yup, Flash is very overwhelming at first.

Personally, I switched to Synfig as it's free and seems easier to use.

You should look up tutorials on various sites, and there are a lot of books about animating in general that are very useful.

Music :

If there's a conservatory where you live, I'd suggest taking some lessons there. You'll learn very important stuff that will really help you.

Or you can also search books and sites on the subject. Usually what you find on the net is more intuitive than musical theory lessons (trust me, I've been in a conservatory for seven years :))

Try to learn an instrument, that helps a lot.