Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is anypony else around here into shooting?

M14Brony

Is anypony around here into shooting, whether it be for skeet, hunting, target, competition, etc.?

I enjoy collecting and shooting firearms, and while I have done most of my shooting with rifles and pistols, I finally got around to getting a shotgun later last year (12 gauge Mossberg 500). I plan on getting started with handloading and reloading cartridges rather soon, and I hope to eventually get into hunting.

My favorite rifle is my Springfield Armory M1A (civilian M14 variant):

Posted Image

Edited by M14Brony
  • Brohoof 2

The only thing I've ever shot in real life is an arrow.

Guns are very illegal in Australia, and they are hard to get.

But I've always wanted to go gunning!

For me, merely holding a real gun, despite it being broken beyond working repair, is a great honor and feeling of some power I love to expierence.

The idea of having such a great power bearing tool under your practically complete control is something you don't get from anything else for me.

So yes, I'm into the idea of firing randomly into the air with just about any gun X3

BTW, that picture with all your ponys is so awesome /)^3^(

Ah, I still remember the first time I shot a rifle up in the mountains, man those were the days. Even than this baby was practically an antique.

Posted Image

Edited by SrFrog

I've found a sudden interest in archery of late but the only person I know for it I don't get to hang out with much. He said he wanted to start up an archery club to introduce archery to younger people and I told him I'd be all for it cuz I took immediate interest in it when he showed me his hand-crafted bow. He made the whole thing himself and it looked really high-tech.

Archer here. Would love to try a sniper rifle. I have a "one shot one kill" mentality.

Though, I have never shot an animal and I do not have any desire to do so. I probably would if it was a threat or if it looked particularly tasty, but for now it is just the range for me.

I used to do a lot of archery in middle school through my outdoor trails class I was in. We also got to go to this place to shoot all these kinds of guns, bows, and crossbows. I enjoyed myself a lot! I was pretty good with the crossbow and the bow and arrows and would love to pick it up again. Maybe even go shoot some guns at the shooting range sometime.

I would never go hunting though. Not because I think it's wrong, but because I personally couldn't shoot an animal myself. I love fishing though. But bless those who do hunt (granted you don't make the animal suffer or shoot endangered species). You guys are helping preserve the environment and animals much, much more than people who just sit around signing online petitions all day and do nothing else.

• Brohoof 1

I love to shoot. Matter of fact, I was at the gun show today. Bought 100 rounds of Egyptian 7.62x39 surplus for my Yugo SKS. Unrelated, but I also bought a machete made of 1075 carbon steel.

In addition, I came across a Japanese Arisaka Type 44 cavalry carbine that had been sporterized beyond ALL recognition. I had to go by the serial number, arsenal and series stamp just to identify it. Even had the 'mum intact and everything, but otherwise it was ruined.

Ah, I still remember the first time I shot a rifle up in the mountains, man those were the days. Even than this baby was practically an antique.

Why exactly did you get rid of a Mondragon rifle again? Do you realize how much they're worth these days at market?

Edited by Man-Erg

I own both a rifle and a machine gun. My rifle is blue and orange, pump-action, has a firing range of about thirty feet, and fires orange foam bullets which are about two inches long and have a little black rubber cap on the end of them. My machine gun is yellow and orange, runs off of six D-Cell batteries, has a range of about forty feet, and fires the same foam bullets that the rifle uses.

Nerf guns do count, right? :)

I like air soft guns becuase you can have fight and shoot each other and it dosn't hurt that much :)) i don't have any my self but my friend have one M15 auto, one Sniper rifle, a G36C auto, Dessert Eagle, two M9, one with gas and one without :P

Why exactly did you get rid of a Mondragon rifle again? Do you realize how much they're worth these days at market?

Oh, I still got the rifle. It's just that I don't have it with at the moment, plus guns aren't even technically legal where I stashed it. Still, to be fair the authorities don't care either way.

(edited)

The only thing I've ever shot in real life is an arrow.

Guns are very illegal in Australia, and they are hard to get.

But I've always wanted to go gunning!

Are guns actually illegal in Australia? I have not done a lot of research about this, but I was under the impression that they are restricted, but not illegal. I have heard that bolt-action rifles and the like are legal over there.

@Chigens

I am unfamiliar with that carbine, but there are plenty of expensive guns I wish I had the money to purchase as well. :P

I've found a sudden interest in archery of late but the only person I know for it I don't get to hang out with much. He said he wanted to start up an archery club to introduce archery to younger people and I told him I'd be all for it cuz I took immediate interest in it when he showed me his hand-crafted bow. He made the whole thing himself and it looked really high-tech.

I have not done much archery myself, but perhaps I can try that sometime as well (I only tried it briefly when I was a kid).

I love to shoot. Matter of fact, I was at the gun show today. Bought 100 rounds of Egyptian 7.62x39 surplus for my Yugo SKS. Unrelated, but I also bought a machete made of 1075 carbon steel.

I have a couple of Yugoslavian SKS's (M59/66, M59/66A1), in addition to a Russian one (1954 Izhevsk) and these rifles are affordable and well-built.

I have not tried using Egyptian surplus 7.62X39mm ammunition (I use current production Russian ammunition and Yugoslavian M67 surplus). How well does Egyptian 7.62X39mm work?

In addition, I came across a Japanese Arisaka Type 44 cavalry carbine that had been sporterized beyond ALL recognition. I had to go by the serial number, arsenal and series stamp just to identify it. Even had the 'mum intact and everything, but otherwise it was ruined.

Ugh. I am not a fan of such "sporterized" rifles myself, and I cringe when I see "sporterized" Mosin-Nagants, Mausers, etc.

I own both a rifle and a machine gun. My rifle is blue and orange, pump-action, has a firing range of about thirty feet, and fires orange foam bullets which are about two inches long and have a little black rubber cap on the end of them. My machine gun is yellow and orange, runs off of six D-Cell batteries, has a range of about forty feet, and fires the same foam bullets that the rifle uses.

Nerf guns do count, right? :)

Such things should be fine, as this is a general shooting thread and responses are destined to vary (some countries have extremely tight gun regulations, others have not gotten around to buying real firearms, some prefer archery, some are into paintball and/or airsoft, etc.). :)

I picked up a Chilean 1912 Mauser, thinking that it was rechambered for 7.62X51mm (the tag said ".308" on it), but after doing some research, it seems that this Mauser is in fact chambered for 7X57mm Mauser ammunition. I was hoping to use this rifle to fire my first .308 handloads (I am a beginner, and I want to start basic before I start reloading and handloading for my M14/M1A and M1 Garand), but it does not look like I will be doing that with this rifle (I am going to have to track down some 7X57mm Mauser reloading dies, brass, and bullets). Fortunately, I only paid $239.00 for the rifle.

Edited by M14Brony

Are guns actually illegal in Australia? I have not done a lot of research about this, but I was under the impression that they are restricted, but not illegal. I have heard that bolt-action rifles and the like are legal over there.

Restricted is probably a better word, I'm not 100% sure though, like we had a police man come to our school and talk about weapons and stuff and said some types are illegal, but I forgot what. but yeah, In my whole life living in Australia, I have never seen a gun in real life, maybe on TV or on a police persons belt, but no where else.

Oh, I still got the rifle. It's just that I don't have it with at the moment, plus guns aren't even technically legal where I stashed it. Still, to be fair the authorities don't care either way.

Illegal or no, bottom dollar on a rifle like that is in the ballpark of the 4 or 5 grand range, with the highs in the 10k+. Glad you at least still possess it.

Bolt-action rifles fall into Category B of the restrictions that Australia puts on their firearms. For that, like most anything else, a permit to acquire as well as a 'genuine need' is mandatory to buy one. The Lee-Enfield rifles came back into popularity when the restrictions started outlawing semi-automatics; before that I believe the SKS was the weapon of choice for a lot of Australian citizens.

I have a couple of Yugoslavian SKS's (M59/66, M59/66A1), in addition to a Russian one (1954 Izhevsk) and these rifles are affordable and well-built.

Agreed. They're finicky, but when they work, they work. I unfortunately missed the boat on acquiring a Russian SKS back when they were $100 a pop. Worth noting is that my brother has a Sino-Soviet Type 56, one of I believe only 1500 imported into this country. He paid $340, it's worth at least twice that.

I have not tried using Egyptian surplus 7.62X39mm ammunition (I use current production Russian ammunition and Yugoslavian M67 surplus). How well does Egyptian 7.62X39mm work?

Haven't touched it yet, but it's all brass cased ammunition. It needs desperately to be cleaned, but I'm confident it'll shoot fine.

I picked up a Chilean 1912 Mauser, thinking that it was rechambered for 7.62X51mm (the tag said ".308" on it), but after doing some research, it seems that this Mauser is in fact chambered for 7X57mm Mauser ammunition. I was hoping to use this rifle to fire my first .308 handloads (I am a beginner, and I want to start basic before I start reloading and handloading for my M14/M1A and M1 Garand), but it does not look like I will be doing that with this rifle (I am going to have to track down some 7X57mm Mauser reloading dies, brass, and bullets). Fortunately, I only paid $239.00 for the rifle.

That's quite the steal. Is yours the long rifle or the carbine? I paid about that price for my old Japanese Type 38. Now that I'm starting to collect the old Japanese rifles, I'm considering loading for the 6.5x50 and the 7.7x58, simply because there will come a time when $25 for a box of ammo will become $40, and reloading for those will give me a good head start on reloading for other oddball calibers, like the 8x56mm Rimmed Hungarian, for the Steyr M95. Then there are those odd Mausers like the one you purchased, plus the Swedish one in 6.5x55, or the Argentine 7.65x53.

I'm a lot more into old bolt rifles than I am into much else. I am determined, however, to get my hands on an SVT-40 for a decent price, however hard that'll be.

Edited by Man-Erg

I live in that part of Ohio where the houses are too damn close to each other; but when I travel out to any other part of this blessed state, guns be blazin'.

I'm mostly into percision/target shooting, but I have went hunting once or twice; I was never lucky enough to bag anything worth cooking up.

Edited by moosefullaeggs

I am much more of a traditional archer(Longbow, scythian & mongolian horsebow), but I also have guns. Webley .38 and a browning 9mm hi power(german marked model, ). Also have a old mauser(former norwegian homeguard model k98k f1), mauser made the best rifle ever friggin built.

I dont hunt as I dont kill animals(except out of mercy), but I like target shooting.

However, the gun of my dreams is the C96 Mauser, absolutely beautiful weapon!

But, I still think its more fun using my bows. I just refuse to use those modern compound high tech bows, have nothing to do with archery whatsoever.

Edited by Magnus