Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Daring Do Adventure Collection - Reviews & General Discussion

MagicalWingLT

Seems like a great deal, however I'm not much of a reader, BUT I admit I'm curious about it. It'd be nice to find out why Dashie loves these books so much :P

I preordered it months ago; same time at the Journal of the Two Sisters. Eagerly awaiting these. :D

I have to wait for payday on Wednesday to try to get a pre-order in.  Someone better have it for sale still by then or I will be a sad pony :(

I like the "Meet the Author" section on the B&N page. :D

I'm thinking of it, however isn't it like $70? I'd much rather spend that money on something that I can use again instead of knowing exactly what will happen, like some video games. Maybe when it's on a large ass sale.

B&N is selling the preorder for $43.  I would agree that $70 is too much, but for $43 I'm gonna try to get a copy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just finished reading all three. I still find GM Berrow to be one of the best writers of pony stories and am glad to know she's writing teleplays for the show now.

It definitely provides a lot of cool world-building, and for places far from Ponyville. (I now know where dragons live.)

It was also a treat having such a large volume of stories about a character other than the Mane 6 or the CMC, allowing me to have a different perspective of the same fictional world with a pulp action-adventure style to it to boot.

I find it amusing how GM Berrow seems to not be afraid to pepper in some big words. So while it was a young adult book, it didn't feel like the book was talking down to me at all. Plus it will be good for the kids to have to look up some stuff and expand their vocabulary. I even had to look up a word at one point. (Did you know that "Numismatics" means coin collecting? Well I know now.)

The books also each have a glossary which is especially handy because it tells you how to pronounce some of the crazy unpronounceable names in the books. Such as "Tiara of Teotlale", "Doomed Diadem of Xilati" or my personal favorite "Empress Ketztwctl". Make sure you don't read the full entries till after you've read the book though, because they're a little spoiler heavy.

My only complaints are with the third book (Forbidden City of Clouds), because it seems very much like a big chunk of the story was edited out at some point.

From looking at the cover and from some clues inside the book it seemed like Dr. Cabelleron was supposed to have shown up at some point.

and it seems to just come to an end very abruptly.

The books aren't numbered, but they go in a specific order and will reference things from the previous book. The stories are fairly self contained for the most part, but there is still stuff worth reading them in order for. The trick to figuring out which order they go in is a list of other books "written" by AK Yearling at the beginning of each book. The list has ten books in it, but the last three are the actual books you get in the treasure chest. The order is: Marked Thief of Marapone, Eternal Flower, Forbidden City of Clouds.

The ending of the third book, while abrupt, seems to tease a longer story arc involving Daring Do. It might just be a joke to give authenticity to an ongoing series of books from a fictional world, but it would definitely be cool to see the series continued with more real world books. Though hopefully not without the expensive treasure chest.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

I don't suppose the collection includes the book / story Rainbow Dash was a part of, does it? xD I'd still like to own them.

No. The three included books have nothing to do with Rainbow Dash.

However, that doesn't mean we will never see it. :)

Hey @MagicalWingLT, and @Treble Bolt!

I'm letting you know that considering the amount of threads we have relating to the Daring Do Collection, I've merged a number of those threads (yours specifically) and edited the topic title to create a general review & discussion thread for the collection. The thread has also been moved from the Merchandise forum to the Comics & Books forum where it will get better attention.

In the future, let's keep in mind to use the search function so we can avoid these duplicate threads. :)

Thank you, and discuss away! :)

Hey guys,

Recently I ordered the Daring Do book set for about $45. They should be here by next week. I just wanted to ask anyone who actually has the set, How are the stories themselves? I don't read much honestly. I understand the stories are about almost 200 pages each. To some that may be little but it is a lot for me cause I don't read as much. But how are the stories? Are they good? Are they fun?

• Brohoof 1

Hey guys,

Recently I ordered the Daring Do book set for about $45. They should be here by next week. I just wanted to ask anyone who actually has the set, How are the stories themselves? I don't read much honestly. I understand the stories are about almost 200 pages each. To some that may be little but it is a lot for me cause I don't read as much. But how are the stories? Are they good? Are they fun?

Well I'm reading one right now,the story is pretty great :)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Thanks PathfinderCS lol I didn't realize I had made two topics. One from months ago and one more recently lol.

I still haven't had a chance to read the books yet. I've either kept forgetting about it or busy doing other stuff. I might start reading them tomorrow. There has been a lot of good reviews for it. So I hope that they will make more books for this and become a series of books.

Edited by MagicalWingLT
  • Brohoof 1

I got the collection for Christmas and I've read the first story. I liked it, but felt it was too short. Wish these novels were a little longer since the story was captivating. And for some reason I didnt get the figurine. Is it hidden or something?

Edited by Derplight Sperkle

I got the collection for Christmas and I've read the first story. I liked it, but felt it was too short. Wish these novels were a little longer since the story was captivating. And for some reason I didnt get the figurine. Is it hidden or something?

It should be be in that fourth thing that's packaged with the books. It's not big at all, but the thing looks like a book and the figuring is stashed inside.

Photo on 10-12-14 at 9.34 PM #2.jpg

That's what it should look like.

(also, I took that a couple of months ago, at work now. XD )

It should be be in that fourth thing that's packaged with the books. It's not big at all, but the thing looks like a book and the figuring is stashed inside.

That's what it should look like.

(also, I took that a couple of months ago, at work now. XD )

Yea, it wasn't in there....very weird

@@Derplight Sperkle

That is very disconcerting. If the figurine was not in that book like box in the chest, then you may have a mussed up unit then. :/

I started reading the Marked Thief of Mareapore(on Chapter 6 at the moment.) I'm enjoying it. The stories are not just a fun read all around and I can picture everything the author describes in my head quite easily. One kinda funny thing I noticed, is that there seems to be some chapters that because they end on the left page, they leave the next page completely blank and all chapters start on the right side. Just a funny little detail I noticed. 

• Brohoof 1