Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP: A New Generation: Brony (MLP Forums) Reviews/Reactions/Discussion

Dark Qiviut

MLP: A New Generation (MLP G5 premiere!)  

110 users have voted

1. 1. Like or Dislike?

• Pipp Petals *nearing tears*: "It's supposed to be my best show ever. Now it's all over." (I HATE IT! >__<)
    • Hitch Trailblazer: "No, thank you. I got it." *grumbles back at his campfire* (I dislike it!)
    • Zipp Storm: *back to Sunny and Izzy* "Don't tell them you saw me." *glides away* (…meh…)
    • Sunny Starscout: *sings "Gonna Be My Day"* (I like it!)
    • Izzy Moonbow: "Hi, new friend!" (I LOVE IT! :D)
  2. 2. Following this movie, who's your favorite of the Mane 5?

• Izzy Moonbow
    • Sunny Starscout
    • Pipp Petals
    • Zipp Storm
    • Hitch Trailblazer

My Little Pony: A New Generation is a light-hearted, simplistic and serviceable new step into the franchise. Very fast paced, going through scene after scene without feeling rushed. It wants to tell the story while clearly keeping in mind its true target audience.

And there's nothing wrong with that. For tone and interest, it does its job.

The characters possess the spirit of the old Mane Six, albeit still with their own personalities to define them. The main protagonist, Sunny, inhabits traits of Twilight, Hitch shows traces of Applejack, Izzy exuding the bubbly nature of Pinkie, Zipp with Rainbow, and Pipp in Rarity.

I will not delve into spoilers, but I will say this, those worried about the future of franchise we all know and love: There's nothing to fear. The movie flawlessly captures the heart and soul of its predessecor while taking it into a new era. I look forward to where that path goes!

• Brohoof 2

Already said what needed to be said. I loved it, and I look forward to where they go on it. And regarding the big plot twist at the end...

Spoiler

I don't mind at all they made Sunny an alicorn so soon, so quick. We can't compare this new gen to the standards and rules of the old. That Twilight took three seasons to become an alicorn by comparison is completely immaterial.

• Brohoof 1

I need to watch it few more times to form a full opinion, but for now, it's aright, didn't really care for the songs but it may be I just need to listen them through few times. I'm also not fan of the modernity of it, but that was to be expected, that's what kids nowadays find relatable, and I'll have to live with that :twi: so right now 6-7/10, as stated, need some time to watch it again few times.

Vanessa Hudgens did a wonderful job as Sunny that I completely forgot she once did Gabriella Montez from High School Musical. I can completely separate the character from the actor.

6 hours ago, Kujamih said:

aaahhhhh it was almost perfect!!!! the ending took a miss there..... I was like..... WAIT!!! ..... THATS IT!?:Cozy:....:yeahno:.....

and sunny looks incomplete in her form....

Well it's only the start of the series

• Brohoof 2

My expectations were low, so I was pleasantly surprised. It's far from perfect, but it's a pretty solid start of a new generation. Good characters, a nice and simple story, decent songs and jokes (I even chuckled 2 or 3 times). I'll have to get used to cutie marks only on one flank though. 

Spoiler

About some fo the controversial topics. The transformation that happened in the end didn't actually bother me, because I was expecting something like that. What bothered me a little was the out of nowhere crystals thing. But I'll let the theorists deal with it.

• Brohoof 1

For Sunny, the Mane Six weren't simply her representations of Equestrian harmony. Outside of Argyle, they were her role models; she wanted to adopt their best qualities and become a spiritual successor. Throughout her entire arc, she had to learn to trust those qualities and use them to make herself and those around her better people. Each of her friends grew because they believed in her philosophy and adopted it.

• Brohoof 5

So far half way done with the movie,  I'm so a Zipp fan!  Sunny is a good grounder with a good balance to Izzy's high energy but it works well for the unicorn!  Hitch is the all around hero type boy but also, I can see how he will act as a balance in the group!   :orly:

• Brohoof 2

10 hours ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

The 'villain' who looks like Big Macintosh (I've forgotten his name already) was weak

I hardly call him a villain. Just a misguided pony who let childhood beliefs that the other races are dangerous get to him. 

• Brohoof 5

Finally watched it, and I enjoyed. The first half was awesome but the 2nd part felt rushed and could have been handled much better.

So, as some suspected sunnys dad is dead, I would like to see some flashbacks with him and sunny in the series. We also did not hear anything about the pegasi king so perhaps he is not around anymore as well. We are yet to hear about Izzys and Hitchs parents so maybe we will have more parents drama in the show. For the majority of the movie it looked like the true villain will be starlights plant Phyllis but eventually sprout ended up as the big bad but we really did not got to see what happened to him, did he not get punished at all?

My favorite scene was during Pipps song, with sunny and Izzy trying to escape and Zipp helping them. :yay:

I really hope we will get more royal sisters interactions in the future, I loved their arguments. Also, its interesting to note that Zipp is going to be the queen but Pipp is the more popular sister, perhaps it will come into play in the series, personally I would love to see some sibling rivalry between them.

My favorite songs are "fit right in" and "angry mob" which is REALLY similar to smells like teen spirit by nirvana, like seriously similar.  I also like "looking out for you" and "glowing up". The rest were mediocre.

I loved Hitchs development and his relationship with sunny throughout the movie, how he went from wanting to arrest her to helping her out. I also kinda ship Sunny and Izzy, they are adorable. I did not like the queen, which surprised me because I thought she will end up as one of my favorites but I ended up not caring about her. I loved all the main characters, if I had to choose a fav its still Pipp by a bit.

• Brohoof 3

7 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

I hardly call him a villain. Just a misguided pony who let childhood beliefs that the other races are dangerous get to him. 

That’s why I had villain in quotation marks because I wasn’t sure what to call him.

• Brohoof 1

I liked it. It reminds me of the FIM pilot a little bit. I thought the pacing was a little too fast, it should have been about thirty minutes longer.

Spoiler

I was actually surprised when Sunny became an alicorn at the end, I should have seen that coming.

But, overall, it was a pretty cute movie.

• Brohoof 1

@Dark Qiviut 

Spoiler

When Izzy showed her new friends Sunny's letter.

Thanks for reminding me. This part almost broke me, I'm not gonna lie. :(/:rarity:

@TomDaBombMLP I found Spike. :BornAgainBrony: 

Spoiler

He's a plush on the floor of Sunny Starscout's bedroom that you can see when they do an overhead shot. 

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 5

Although isn't me or did they steal the character design of the father from Pixar's Onward along with his belief that the Magic would return and have him killed off early on to make Sunny's father? Lol.

1434C0B3-D62A-4591-ABC2-6BEEC822C202.jpg.3db846471f64056b17489fa3781aa6f8.jpg

medium.jpg.98cac231d806c73cce398b54cd72536e.jpg

Seriously they look like they could be each other's counterpart

EDIT: just so we're clear I'm not saying this like a bad thing. I'm just saying it's quite the coincidence

• Brohoof 5

6 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

@Dark Qiviut 

Hide contents

When Izzy showed her new friends Sunny's letter.

Thanks for reminding me. This part almost broke me, I'm not gonna lie. :(/:rarity:

Spoiler

That was the most pivotal point of the entire film in a whole lot of ways.

1. During most of their trek, the Mane Five didn’t see eye to eye. Once she revealed Sunny’s letter, this was the first time they got along with each other and truly saw each other as part of a team.
  2. Throughout their entire lives, they lived with the insane propaganda that the other pony tribes are bad news and treated each other like they’re their own separate lands. As it turns out, their own cities are more intertwined than they previously thought. Sunny’s letter connects each and every one of them, and Izzy keeps that momento.
  3. At this time, Hitch was also at his most vulnerable. He made his quest alone to rescue and arrest Sunny, and continued to believe in what was taught to him, even after he was shown he was wrong. For the first time, he really understood that his lifelong friend and her father were right the whole time. What he was taught all this time was a lie. However, rather than mope about it, he wanted to help rectify it. Joining them was the best he can do.
  4. Yesterday evening, Pipp and Zipp were at the top of Zephyr Heights, then crashed and burned when their ability to fly was a ruse. Like Hitch, they too were vulnerable, something they never experienced before. Yes, they began to show comfort being around Sunny and Izzy, but that note was when they finally understood that every pony, no matter who are they are or what status they are, is equal, and they have more in common with the common pony than they once thought.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 6

That was a pretty nice movie, but a simple plot. Enjoyable characters. Was going in and expecting it to be boring but it was well executed. Visuals were amazing, I loved all of the characters. I can't complain about anything in this movie honestly.

• Brohoof 8

1 hour ago, Will Guide said:

Although isn't me or did they steal the character design of the father from Pixar's Onward along with his belief that the Magic would return and have him killed off early on to make Sunny's father? Lol.

Spoiler

If that's the case we could say Sunny's bedhead makes her look a bit like Anna from Frozen. 

d8k52hi-3d1fc009-c016-40cc-9c46-13446a35eaac-down.thumb.png.b1f35a70820a2cd2517fd91db72d2fa5.png

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 1

Ok so... brief thoughts, after a third watch, first and foremost the only criticism worth really voicing is the fairly generic plot, really the same thing the 2017 movie suffered from but in neither case did it really harm the movie that much. Most kids' movies follow a simple formula anyway. The pacing is also a bit off at times, but hard to say how it could be improved significantly.

Beyond that, excellent. A breath of fresh air and what a way to start a new generation! The visuals are stunning; the colors, lighting, scenery, attention to detail, animation, backgrounds, all a treat. It looks really good. The voice acting is quite good, nothing overly wacky and immersion breaking, and the music is totally fitting for the mood and choice of voice cast. There are some real earworms; they managed to override the Centaurworld and Galavant soundtracks in my head and that's no small feat.

Primarily though, I love the characters. All of 'em, exciting fresh new well rounded and interesting characters that should be fleshed out very well by the upcoming show. Found myself liking Hitch and Zipp a lot more than I thought, only Pipp really got the short straw with not really getting to be in the spotlight. With luck the show changes that. It's very exciting to be introduced to so many great new characters and eagerly await their antics in the future.

The little bit of G4 sprinkled throughout is ok to give a background to the world's lore, but I really hope there is as little of it as possible in future episodes because that'll just lead to G5 being compared endlessly to G4 instead of standing on its own merit. Being a continuation in the same world is alright I suppose but a clean break would've probably been better for its own success potential. I'm quire satisfied with G4 ending in 2019 and G5 starting in 2021, and meshing the two more than necessary feels weird.

• Brohoof 6

32 minutes ago, Starforce said:

I can't complain about anything in this movie honestly.

Same here.

It was a pretty well balanced story... I enjoyed it more while watching the full movie, and not some clips here and there. The 70s music style was a nice surprise (since the 80s has been done to death the last decade), with some R'n'B, and sadly a little RAP number that was short (thankfully). The characters were cool, and the voice actors were supreme as expected.

But where do we go from here? Is there really anything to explore? It kinda ended after the movie. not really much you can do, without the expensive voice actors.

The 3D didn't bother me at all. The whole playful thing between Sunny and Hitch were no where to be found!? What was the all about then? And the big song number was not showing the pony singing during the more "grown up" vocals (the sexy sounding bit), as the camera switched away to the comedy during that time. Simply, the movie felt safe. They rather waned it to please everyone, old and new, without upsetting anyone. They did a good job. But still, where do G5 go from here?

Lastly, I think the the link between G4 and G5 was weak, except for reminding us about all the G4 ponies and their toys! Was this a promotion for G4, or for G5?

Boulder Media has never been my favorite. They did a good job with this one though!

• Brohoof 5

There's a mid-credits scene for anyone who missed it that adds some intrigue on where we go from here. Not sure what the plan is beyond that but guess we'll find out when Netflix dumps the whole season online whenever they plan on doing so.

• Brohoof 3

• The topic was pinned
32 minutes ago, Splashee said:

Lastly, I think the the link between G4 and G5 was weak, except for reminding us about all the G4 ponies and their toys!

I found myself relieved by that; the film made the best effort not to be tied down to lore and references to its predeseccor in order to be successful. It stood on its own four feet, at least to me anyway.

• Brohoof 2