Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP: A New Generation: Brony (MLP Forums) Reviews/Reactions/Discussion

Dark Qiviut

MLP: A New Generation (MLP G5 premiere!)  

111 users have voted

1. 1. Like or Dislike?

• Pipp Petals *nearing tears*: "It's supposed to be my best show ever. Now it's all over." (I HATE IT! >__<)
    • Hitch Trailblazer: "No, thank you. I got it." *grumbles back at his campfire* (I dislike it!)
    • Zipp Storm: *back to Sunny and Izzy* "Don't tell them you saw me." *glides away* (…meh…)
    • Sunny Starscout: *sings "Gonna Be My Day"* (I like it!)
    • Izzy Moonbow: "Hi, new friend!" (I LOVE IT! :D)
  2. 2. Following this movie, who's your favorite of the Mane 5?

• Izzy Moonbow
    • Sunny Starscout
    • Pipp Petals
    • Zipp Storm
    • Hitch Trailblazer

Spoiler

I actually watched it with moderately high expectations from the trailer and clips and the movie didn't disappoint. The Mane Five nailed it and I think that they have potential in their character arcs. The songs were decent. The pacing was a bit fast, but I suppose they wanted to keep it at the 90 minutes standard. However, the ending felt really rough and sent mixed messages. That is like the only "issue" I had with it.

I think because I'm so astonished that we have a new generation it was SOO amazing for me. Having grown up with G4, I honestly was a little bit emotional seeing a new cast.

I can't wait for what the future has in store~! :Rara:

Happy.gif.63fc1d2cf5dcd06721a1f9dcaadda1f8.gif

• Brohoof 1

I loved it!  Only hope it keeps going just as good.  And i'm not afraid to admit that two scenes brought a few drops to my eye..... first, when [WARNING: SPOILERS] Izzy revealed that it was Sunny's childhood letter that brought her to Maretime bay.     And second, when Sunny became an alicorn (i didn't know that was going to happen!).  

#MLPForever

The movie was... Average imo.

Spoiler

It also raises far more questions than it answers; how were the pegasi, unicorns and earth ponies even divided in the first place? What happened to the other creatures? What happened to the mane six and why is everything in 3d now if this is still in the same universe as G4?

I found the characters unremarkable but not that annoying; non of them particularly stood out to me as they were about as deep as a puddle and somewhat unrelatable.

The plot was simple and its message was one I've heard a thousand times before. The first "twist" that the gems wouldn't work was rather obvious as a piece was evidently missing. The second was kinda lame and as predictable as the first :P

Sprout was an awful villain and wasn't really that threatening at all. Nor was that robot truck thing. 

The jokes were pretty hit and miss. 

The backgrounds were pretty good and the character animation was decent, but nothing particularly ground breaking.

The intro scene with the mane six was good.

The music was pretty meh overall.

The voice acting was OK.

Overall, this movie didn't make me feel anything. It was neither good nor bad imo... I give it a 5/10.

• Brohoof 2

Really enjoyed it. I probably need to watch it again, but I loved this movie. I'm a big fan of the new characters and the animation style has really grown on me. The jokes were also really good, so I'm pretty impressed with the writing. Of course, there were a few issues here and there, but aside from that I had a great time.

EDIT: For the record, I didn't double post. Two topics got merged together.

Edited by Cash_In
  • Brohoof 2

I loved it. I mean, I was expecting to like it, but this went beyond that. I was a bit iffy on the animation style at first, but it grew on me a lot and I think the environments and characters look beautiful. I like the Mane 5 a lot. Izzy is my favourite, but Sunny and Hitch are great too. The writing was really good. So many of the jokes hit home runs and I thought the overall story was solid. A bit different from the status quo, but I still think it was fun. The songs were alright. I liked a few, but the others were just okay. Maybe they haven't grown on me yet.

I think the opening in particular sets the stage well. They managed to show us somewhat of a passing of a torch from the Mane 6 to Sunny. They didn't forget about the legacy of the old characters, all while keeping the focus on the new ones. I love that.

In terms of issues, I like the sisters, but I feel that they weren't nearly as fleshed out as the others. They had their moments, but I think they could've done more with them. I also think we should've had some more context to how and why the ponies got divided. It's not a huge deal breaker, but I think it would've been good for world building.

So yeah, loved it. Now that we've seen what these writers are capable of, I'm not too concerned on the future of G5. I think we're in good hands.

• Brohoof 3

16 hours ago, Jeric said:

Also someone please do me a huge favor and find me a animated gif of 

Hide contents

“Evil Sprout Rarity” 

I must have that for personal amusement 

@Jeric This took forever to make. :stressed: I hope you like it! :-D

anigif-min.gif.a4c537d7571268c321daa0ffdcb35d36.gif

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 1

Watched it once so far, and my initial impression was pretty positive on the whole.  That being said, It's easy to overlook failings the first time you watch something, they tend to become more apparent on subsequent viewings so it remains to be seen how well it will hold up in the longer term.

The story was fairly simplistic, and more than a little predictable but it was serviceable enough and one must take into account who the target audience is.  The simplicity of the plot was quite well compensated for by the characters who were generally pretty good, and Izzy and Sunny in particular were absolutely adorable.

6 hours ago, Kujamih said:

nice find! I'm not sure yet either if it has anything to do with the plot and what not. or just a Easter egg...hmmmm... what do you think @Valeska?

Thanks! Honestly, I think it is hard to tell at this time what kind of significance it holds. It could pertain to a future plot but most likely it is probably just an easter egg. I mean, they have already incorporated Grogar back in fim, even though it wasn't truly him. I guess we'll have to wait and see. 

5 hours ago, JMTV99 said:
  Hide contents

It might that footprint of Spike.

I thought the same thing after posting that image!

Spoiler

Watched My Little Pony A New Generation and really enjoyed it, loved it. Sunny and Izzy are my Special ponies, still like Pipp and glow to like Zipp. Looking forward to series. I know this much reviews. But just say I love it.

Pipp seem to be Applejack of MLP G5 as least favourite, sadly, poll here Hitch become popular than Sunny. 

Edited by Derpy Man

The movie is very good but there few points that I have. The movie could been 2 hours because there are still room for more scenes and story. There are questions unanswered left out of the movie. Hopefully they add the rest of them in the series that was left out. Zipp and Pipp had less screen time.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Derpy Man said:
  Hide contents

Pipp seem to be Applejack of MLP G5 as least favourite, sadly, poll here Hitch become popular than Sunny. 

Not really a surprise; she had the least amount of development and screentime among the crew. I'm sure the series will fix that.

I just completed my first viewing of A New Generation and I have to say it's pretty by the books with no real stakes. The plot is very contrived; there is no real explainition as to why the pony races are no longer friends other than the fact they're evil and we don't like them anymore, movies like Zootopia or How To Train Your Dragon handles themes like prejudice and overcoming your differences and working together for a common goal so much better than this film. Everything that happens in this film happens because the script calls for it not because it happens organically. I feel like Hasbro and Boulder Media spent all their money on the animation side of things (which looks great btw), along with music and voice talent (which are also pretty solid), I just wish they put more effort into the script side of things but oh well. Overall it an alright film if you're a fan of My Little Pony or have young kids.

Also Izzy is adorable she is a prefect blend of Pinkie Pie and Rarity without the overbearing annoyance of Pinkie Pie!

Edited by Live Spark
  • Brohoof 3

Overall, the movie was better than I was expecting. It was a pretty fun and light movie. It was pretty predictable, but entertaining still.

The pacing was a little fast, but the first MLP movie had that issue also.

I really found it amusing that Ken Jeong is Sprout. I still always think of him as crazy Mr. Chow from The Hangover.^_^ I also think it's great that he's also an actual doctor, and is from Michigan too. That made the Offspring-esque angry mob song even more amusing. For sure I definitely was NOT expecting a song like that in the movie at all! The song Self Esteem that it's heavily based on came out when I was like 6.:blink:

As for the 3D, it turned out nicer than I was expecting overall. By far I think Izzy looks and moves the best. A lot of the other characters' eyes are too far apart and something with the jawline just isn't right. I can't really explain it exactly. There is also quite a few times that movement looked off, which is still common in a lot of 3D stuff still sadly.

I REALLY didn't like the abominable rabbits for some reason.:mlp_laugh: They're disturbing, not cute. If poor Fluttershy had to see Angel in such a sorry state...:(

Angelsquash.png.59a4d3246e9ee87d9c8b43ce04c242ea.png

Opposite the rabbits' "widening" problem in G5, I'm hoping that the G5 world isn't shrunken down in scope/scale, and that the new cast isn't reduced in age/mentality. G4 kept a nice balance, hopefully they keep it going in this iteration. G4 did pretty darn good for being a "kids show." I really hope this generation didn't start at the top of the hill, getting "dumbed down" as time goes on.

Overall it looks like G5 has a good foundation to start with, and I'm hoping they can keep it interesting and entertaining.

A side note that I can't get over is that Argyle's VA was in Breaking Bad's prequel "Better call Saul" (John De Lancie - Discord- was in Breaking Bad)

In his final scene there he was "destroying" a lantern...:sealed: That's all I'll say about that...

Screenshot_20210925-202239_YouTube-01.jpeg.48d57d6e07847e9703eda8dacf76c3a1.jpeg

And in his very first scene in the MLP movie he was making a new lantern.:umad:

20210925_204237-01.thumb.jpeg.ff932e9dac7949e881f145eceb459c2f.jpeg

My inner Discord thinks this may be more than a grim coincidence. His name in the credits is with a lantern too.:discord_balloon:

529539022_MichaelMcKeanlantern..png.a43f248e16ab81e453e50a3812d52ade.png

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 1

I liked the movie. I think there were a couple of good songs, the animation seems OK (though the characters still look a bit weird to me) and the story was also OK. I didn't like the fact that the "magic" depends on three pieces of crystal being together. 

Also, I did not notice any overt political propaganda (I also was not looking for it as I don't want it), the one thing that I could consider to be political, applied to multiple sides, so that was OK.

So... for those of y'all into tying the lore of G4 into things... a thought. Seems to me the magic being tied to the crystals, and only working when together, was a peacekeeping failsafe that was implemented long ago for the future. Seeing how easy it was for the tribes to start warring again before the final battle of FiM and knowing how short societal memories were - and eventually, lessons learned would be forgot and harmony would start to decline - a powerful being (an alicorn perhaps?) tied the world's magic to the set, with the dire warning that warring and tribes distrusting each other again would lead to magic vanishing for ALL when the set breaks up. Obviously it didn't work, but that sort of deterrent would certainly be an effective way of at least attempting to keep the peace long after you're gone.

After all, if you threaten to take away ALL the toys if kids don't share, with luck they will get very good at self-enforcing sharing...

Edited by Equus

I heard some people compare to G5 movie to the FiM 2 part pilot, and I don't think that's a fair comparison, IMO.

G4 is in it own little world, while G5 is in it own little world. You can't really compared the two.

• Brohoof 1

18 minutes ago, JMTV99 said:

I heard some people compare to G5 movie to the FiM 2 part pilot, and I don't think that's a fair comparison, IMO.

G4 is in it own little world, while G5 is in it own little world. You can't really compared the two.

I have a good one. What do you think? 

The way Sunny and the others tried combining the crystals only to realize that 'it' wasn't about the crystals, but about the pony races, is a beautiful rethread of Twilight realizing something similar about the Elements of Harmony and her new friends.

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Metemponychosis said:

I have a good one. What do you think? 

The way Sunny and the others tried combining the crystals only to realize that 'it' wasn't about the crystals, but about the pony races, is a beautiful rethread of Twilight realizing something similar about the Elements of Harmony and her new friends.

I think G5 handled it much better(despite being rushed). Season 9 premiere of G4 makes no goddamn sense.

Over the past couple of days, I've grown to really like I'm Looking Out for You. That song is the Pinkie/Twilight duet missing from FIM. Their incredible chemistry together was the best part of A New Generation, and it was here where their friendship was born. Like the rest of the Mane Five, Izzy grew up surrounded by anti-other-pony propaganda, Earth ponies for a rep of being below them, pegasi for being cannibalistic terrors. Sunny was the first to challenge her line of think and successfully persuade her that pegasi are supposed to be her friends. However, for years, Sunny felt like she was on an island; she believed for years that al three races are friends. For the first time since Argyle was alive, somepony believed her. More importantly, Izzy wasn't just okay with someone challenging the propaganda she lived with all her life. She willingly helps Sunny on her quest to bring everyone back together.

• Brohoof 3