Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP: A New Generation: Brony (MLP Forums) Reviews/Reactions/Discussion

Dark Qiviut

MLP: A New Generation (MLP G5 premiere!)  

111 users have voted

1. 1. Like or Dislike?

• Pipp Petals *nearing tears*: "It's supposed to be my best show ever. Now it's all over." (I HATE IT! >__<)
    • Hitch Trailblazer: "No, thank you. I got it." *grumbles back at his campfire* (I dislike it!)
    • Zipp Storm: *back to Sunny and Izzy* "Don't tell them you saw me." *glides away* (…meh…)
    • Sunny Starscout: *sings "Gonna Be My Day"* (I like it!)
    • Izzy Moonbow: "Hi, new friend!" (I LOVE IT! :D)
  2. 2. Following this movie, who's your favorite of the Mane 5?

• Izzy Moonbow
    • Sunny Starscout
    • Pipp Petals
    • Zipp Storm
    • Hitch Trailblazer

22 hours ago, Metemponychosis said:

Can you link? I'm curious. Do they mean it "woke" in a good or bad way?

Some think "woke" as in good as in the New York Times review, but I can't link from there since it redirects trying to get me to subscribe and the person who thought it was woke as in bad was on TV so I can't find the exact clip. So sorry. Basically I think G5 can be interpreted any way people want. I don't see overt messages besides unity whereas others seem to see "antiracism" in a politics sense. 

• Brohoof 2

22 hours ago, Music Chart Fan said:

Maybe realism isn't quite the right word. I guess I was thinking that this movie is more detailed than the relatively simpler style of G4, and thus, phenomena that defy the typical laws of physics are more easily identifiable; there's less leeway in the style of the movie to assume or imagine a solution to the "magnetic hooves" dilemma that we just can't see because of the drawing style or lack of detail or whatnot. In the movie, we can clearly see that characters' hooves are flat and essentially smooth, and so, for example, when Sprout waves his aviator sunglasses around and points them at Sunny and Hitch, while the sunglasses are only "stuck" to his hoof by the rim around the edge, that's more noticeable to me as defying the typical laws of physics.

Yes. I understand what you mean. It would be much more jarring to see a visual joke such as a mailmare dropping a piano on a character in G5's style.

I can imagine they tried brainstorming about how to deal with that problem of the hooves holding stuff and they realized that it was an unsolvable problem and decided to ignore it.

Argyle says to Phyllis that his (and Sunny's) "nonsense" is "called research". So it seems we're meant to believe that Argyle has historical sources for at least the factual claims that they believe. But yeah, there is a value judgement in jumping from "this is the way things used to be (according to historical sources)" to "the way things used to be was better, and we should do that now". You make a good point that the movie could have used more tangible demonstration or evidence that the status quo is bad, and restoring magic and/or connections between the pony races would be better (and worth the risk).

Unless he got the same thing from his parents and just calls it research for reasons. Unlikely... I could imagine Argyle exploring ruins and that sort of Daring Do stuff.

Maybe they would have explored this if they had more time? I would like to think so. It's the sort of thing I believe the series could pick up the slack on. Flashbacks of Argyle doing his stuff might be worth it.

I suppose I was going by the jokey newscast that stated "This just in – Queen Haven has been arrested for being a phony pony full of baloney". There's no further explanation given, but you're right that there's probably more to it than just that. Queen Haven says to Zipp that "we have a duty to protect our citizens. Pegasi are happy enough knowing that we royals can fly" and "It makes them feel safe". So is that the basis of the royal family's political authority - that their ability to fly enables them to protect their citizens and make them feel safe? And therefore, the revelation that the royal family lied about their ability to fly invalidates their political authority because they no longer have the unique capability of protecting their citizens?

I guess it depends on what the citizens of Zephyr Heights believe is the basis of the royal family's right to rule, and therefore, whether the citizens believe that the royal family's lying about their ability to fly makes their previous actions criminal and punishable by imprisonment.

I'm not entirely sure how the royals being able to fly would make them safe. It felt similar to stuff like Aztec priests that pretended they could control sunrise through their deities. But yeah, whatever reason that made pegasi think that flying royals was important. Maybe it related to magic. Pegasi saw that they had that magic that was lost and that made them special. I figure pegasi also supposed, based on that, that the royals had other capacities that they lacked. Which is a rather good analogy for the whole divine mandate of kings.

Honestly, I'm very interested in seeing if Haven, Pipp and Zipp will regain their royal status or not. I don't even know how I feel about that. But I doubt that the series will ever elaborate if the queen ever had any sort of political power.

• Brohoof 3

13 hours ago, chirox the pony said:

And Hitch is just.... confusing. His motivations throughout the film are unclear. At first showing empathy to Sunny, then hating her, then siding with her later in the story.

I found Hitch pretty understandable actually.

He’s a realist and he respects authority. He is shown to agree that all the ponies living in Harmony is a lovely thought, and hesitates to take that from Sunny. Especially since it was from her dad.

But he was taught different from teachers in his school. He became a sheriff to help others, and he sincerely believes that if Sunny’s happy “fantasies” are wrong, then the result could be the injury or death of someone innocent. And he doesn’t want to take that risk.

He likes Sunny, but he can’t be biased in her favor towards her from his position of power. Up till now she was just disruptive and isolated. But she released and is harboring a “dangerous unicorn”, and he feels he can’t just let her do what she wants anymore.

• Brohoof 5

16 hours ago, chirox the pony said:

But I think the main problem with this film is the characters themselves. Sunny Starscout particuarly. My main gripe with her being that she's a Mary Sue. I know saying that will get people's backs up but that is unfortunately all I can see in the character. A Mary Sue is at its' core a character who is not challenged by the narrative of whatever story they are in. As far as I;m concerned this matches Sunny to a T. She starts out a borderline messianic child who is in effect the the exact same person as an adult. She is immediately loved by all the main characters in the film. The only ones who don't like her are all villains. When she is imprisoned she is given a seven star hotel style set up and is near immediately released due to how much Zipp instantly likes her. And to top it off, she does not develop as a character. The only time she is remotely challenged during the story is when the crystal fails to bring back magic, and even then the reason behind that is due to the lack of friendship among the other ponies. In other words she is an already perfect character and remains so throughout the film.  And Hitch is just.... confusing. His motivations throughout the film are unclear. At first showing empathy to Sunny, then hating her, then siding with her later in the story. Hitch's motivations are shown as pure and yet he seems to take an almost pleasure in the thought of arresting what you think is his friend. He's a very underdeveloped character. 

There are other problems such as the blatant cop out of Hitch saying Mayonnaise in order to get out of a fight with the unicorns but I'll leave it there for now. These are the major problems with G5 as it stands and my hopes have certainly been diminished. That being said I won't close the book on this yet. I will give the actual series a chance and decide a final opinion of it from there.

Sunny is not a Mary Sue at all, I discussed this in my review. You are overlooking the fact that she actually is not liked by any of the ponies in town except Hitch, gets publicly humiliated every year, lost her father, and would've lost to Alphabittle if he didn't take it easy on her. Zipp didn't release Sunny because she liked her, it was because she was a secret rebel who saw the opportunity Sunny could give her. Hitch's motivations are also not confusing at all. He doesn't hate Sunny at any point of the movie, it's just that you'd be upset too if your friend released what you thought was a threat to the peace after repeated warning. It's his duty as a cop to arrest her after reasoning failed as a friend. 

That "cop-out" wasn't a cop-out either, it was explained earlier that the unicorns believed in cursed words. They foreshadowed a set-up for them to get out of a fight against a mob in a movie that's not even in the action genre? What's the problem there? :mustache: I'm glad you'll at least give the show a chance though, and hope that by then you'll reconsider some of these gripes with the movie. 

Edited by CloudMistDragon
Forgot to write "hope that".
  • Brohoof 6

9 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Sunny is not a Mary Sue at all, I discussed this in my review. You are overlooking the fact that she actually is not liked by any of the ponies in town except Hitch, gets publicly humiliated every year, lost her father, and would've lost to Alphabittle if he didn't take it easy on her. Zipp didn't release Sunny because she liked her, it was because she was a secret rebel who saw the opportunity Sunny could give her. Hitch's motivations are also not confusing at all. He doesn't hate Sunny at any point of the movie, it's just that you'd be upset too if your friend released what you thought was a threat to the peace after repeated warning. It's his duty as a cop to arrest her after reasoning failed as a friend. 

That "cop-out" wasn't a cop-out either, it was explained earlier that the unicorns believed in cursed words. They foreshadowed a set-up for them to get out of a fight against a mob in a movie that's not even in the action genre? What's the problem there? :mustache: I'm glad you'll at least give the show a chance though, and hope that by then you'll reconsider some of these gripes with the movie. 

I completely agree Sunny is not a Mary Sue. I would add, Sunny's big flaw is her naive overly optimistic nature, she doesn't think of any consequences or back up plans should her big ideas go wrong like when she's thrown in prison in Zepher Heights or when the crystals don't work. She has a terrible habit of preaching her message without showing concrete reasons as to why ponies should listen to her until later in the movie which even Hitch points out. Sunny still believes unicorns shoot lasers at Earth Ponies for no reason because she was still subject to propaganda. 

• Brohoof 6

Sunny is about as far from a mary sue as any main character I can think of imo; if we're gonna consider her a mary sue then Twilight was the worst mary sue in the history of fiction in comparison. Somewhat socially outcast nearly friendless idealistic smoothie-delivering earth pony desperately trying to bring back magic and friendship to the world just by throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks VS extraordinarily powerful unicorn born to high end family, trained by world-goddess herself, solving problems with magic blasts and rainbow friendship beams and being elevated to goddess simply for fixing a spell she screwed up are quite different characters lol

I disgress though, I don't like comparing the gens more than necessary, I just hope the show keeps up the quality of the movie

• Brohoof 3

On 2021-10-01 at 5:34 PM, chirox the pony said:

But I think the main problem with this film is the characters themselves. Sunny Starscout particuarly. My main gripe with her being that she's a Mary Sue. I know saying that will get people's backs up but that is unfortunately all I can see in the character.

If she was a mary sue, she would've been loved by everyone off the bat.

A Mary Sue is at its' core a character who is not challenged by the narrative of whatever story they are in.

Sunny does get challenged numerous time; by the townsfolk, the other races, her own doubts after the first attempt with the crystals failed.

She starts out a borderline messianic child who is in effect the the exact same person as an adult.

And many people as adults have the same personality as they were a child.

She is immediately loved by all the main characters in the film.

It took a bit for Hipp, Pipp and even Hitch to learn to trust and join her; Izzy is just a loving character at heart.

When she is imprisoned she is given a seven star hotel style set up and is near immediately released due to how much Zipp instantly likes her. And to top it off, she does not develop as a character.

The royal pegasi family are essentially a group of divas, and it's unlikely they get many prisoners regardless. It makes sense narrative-wise why the prison would be more luxurious than stone-cold cliche dungeon.

And to top it off, she does not develop as a character. The only time she is remotely challenged during the story is when the crystal fails to bring back magic, and even then the reason behind that is due to the lack of friendship among the other ponies.

How is that not development? Her flaws were being presumpteous and completely certain of her thoughts without thinking clearly. Sounds like a certain lavender alicorn. Sunny learns it's not the crystals that what unites friendships, but the individuals. That sounds like development to me.

In other words she is an already perfect character and remains so throughout the film. Compare that to Twilight Sparkle who is at first a highly dismissive and anti-social character who is very much challenged throughout the first episode of FIM and throughout the next few seasons. She was a real character with real flaws. Sunny on the other hand is pure perfection from the get go. 

I repeat my above statement: Sunny does have flaws in that she's overconfident in her beliefs and completely certain everything will go her way without any second-guessing to the holes in her ideas and how she goes about them. The defence presentation, the crystals, the dance-off. She gets shown otherwise numerous times and it helps her learn everything is not as clear-cut as she expects it to be.

• Brohoof 3

Headcanon idea!

Spoiler

Argyle homeschooled Sunny. He knew what they were teaching about Unicorns and Pegasi in school at Maretime Bay.

And I have an idea for an AU. Not sharing just yet. Secret… shhhhhh…

• Brohoof 3

18 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

Headcanon idea!

Hide contents

Argyle homeschooled Sunny. He knew what they were teaching about Unicorns and Pegasi in school at Maretime Bay.

And I have an idea for an AU. Not sharing just yet. Secret… shhhhhh…

That's a cool idea to me as someone who was homeschooled for 4 years. (I went to public for the rest of my schooling). Sunny's father is a very engaged parent so it makes sense for him to home school. I just wonder where Sunny's mother is and if she has influence over Sunny's character journey in the upcoming series. 

• Brohoof 1

On 2021-10-02 at 6:18 PM, Stardust Balance said:

If she was a mary sue, she would've been loved by everyone off the bat.

Sunny does get challenged numerous time; by the townsfolk, the other races, her own doubts after the first attempt with the crystals failed.

And many people as adults have the same personality as they were a child.

It took a bit for Hipp, Pipp and even Hitch to learn to trust and join her; Izzy is just a loving character at heart.

The royal pegasi family are essentially a group of divas, and it's unlikely they get many prisoners regardless. It makes sense narrative-wise why the prison would be more luxurious than stone-cold cliche dungeon.

How is that not development? Her flaws were being presumpteous and completely certain of her thoughts without thinking clearly. Sounds like a certain lavender alicorn. Sunny learns it's not the crystals that what unites friendships, but the individuals. That sounds like development to me.

I repeat my above statement: Sunny does have flaws in that she's overconfident in her beliefs and completely certain everything will go her way without any second-guessing to the holes in her ideas and how she goes about them. The defence presentation, the crystals, the dance-off. She gets shown otherwise numerous times and it helps her learn everything is not as clear-cut as she expects it to be.

I agree, Sunny is too sure of her beliefs and she had to learn her pony world was more complicated than in her mind and that she's not always right. 

On 2021-09-24 at 10:45 PM, Sparklefan1234 said:

@Dark Qiviut  I saw a pony that looked a lot like @Jonny Music’s OC in this movie. Like A LOT.

On 2021-09-24 at 10:49 PM, Starforce said:

Not the only one who thought so.

LOL! :laugh: I've recent got the chance to watch the movie, and I was pretty surprised that the "Unicorn Father" character resembles my OC "Silver Whistle" very closely (with some minor differences, of course)! Something tells me someone in the studios who worked on it, must have somehow bumped into my OC and used him as an inspiration. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it was coincidental, lol. :D

• Brohoof 1

Since it's release I've seen this movie multiple times and I'm not get tired of it actually I could watch it again right now and would still enjoy it. This is quite an achievement for this movie who has a huge tradition and expectation to hold up. Really this movie earns a lot of respect for doing so many things just right and has only little short comings.  It's greatest issue is that the last third of this movie feels rushed for me. But no too much that it really hurts anything for me, so even if noticeable it's nothing I would criticize too much here. It could have been just better.

Visually this movie gorgeous, they put so many details every where you don't know where to look first. Even after watching this movie six times already I still find new things. The music is also really really great. Some songs from MLP FiM I like much more but still they are on the same level. The plot is incredible interesting, charming, funny. 

The characters are also great and I already love them. Here you could maybe point out that Pipp and Zip do not get as much screen time as Sunny, Hitch and Izzy but I'm not criticizing this. For it's run length there are just some limitations and we have  a full series in front of us. 

The character designs are also really great. Pony bodies have undergone some changes and I have to get used to it, but this will be no problem at all.

So in short: I love this movie.

How much I love it? I love MLP FiM more but it's also unfair to compare these two too much for many reasons like we have only a 90 minutes movie for G5 and 9 season, 1 Movies and Specials for MLP FiM

But I also have admit and this most likely very unpopular, but I love Gen5 Movie more than MLP movie from 2017. I really loved this MLP:FiM 2017 too especially its visual style but, I never liked the story plot and especially the storm king too much and even with the awesome Tempest in this Movie for me the Gen 5 movie is better. The Gen5 Movie made me smile almost it's full way through it, I cannot say the same for the MLP:FiM 2017 even if I loved that one too.

And all of this is coming from someone who was really sceptical about Gen5. And I'm also still quite sceptical and wondering how good the show can get. Especially when it comes to the animation. For a movie this gorgeous animation is less than a problem as for a series. So will be animation from the same quality? Will the change maybe back to a 2d format? Who knows. But I think Gen5 has a lot of potential at least and this movie is one which any fan of mlp should have seen.

The movie let quite a few open question but for me this also some positive not negative. We gonna have a show to answer these question with time :>

I would rate this movie with 9/10  - not perfect but wow it was really awesome and had an impact on me

• Brohoof 3

6 minutes ago, Astral Soul said:

But I also have admit and this most likely very unpopular, but I love Gen5 Movie more than MLP movie from 2017. I really loved this MLP:FiM 2017 too especially its visual style but, I never liked the story plot and especially the storm king too much and even with the awesome Tempest in this Movie for me the Gen 5 movie is better. The Gen5 Movie made me smile almost it's full way through it, I cannot say the same for the MLP:FiM 2017 even if I loved that one too.

As I understand it, the 2017 film wasn't even that loved. I found it just plain average.

• Brohoof 1

Initially, I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into with the new generation movie but decided to give it a chance a few days ago. I was actually pretty aggravated (unrelated to the movie) the evening I watched it but noticed how relaxed I was at the end. A good indicator that the movie was enjoyable  :twi:

The intro with G4 was great in my opinion, especially the ridiculous expressions from Rarity at the "fry brains" part. lol. I'm usually not into movie songs much, but found these to be good, actually, especially "Gonna Be My Day, Fit Right In, and Danger Danger. The latter actually sounded familiar and yep, it's definitely inspired by Self Esteem by The Offspring. Great song, btw. I found the antics and stereotypes presented to be funny. The unicorns being superstitious with certain words and chanting "bing bong" was a good example.

The movie did raise some questions tho, mainly with how the ponies forgot about friendship. Also, what happened to Sunny's father? It appears that he had passed away at some point. In the beginning when Sunny was a foal her father didn't look that old or anything. Not sure if it's me or not but the last 3rd or so of the movie seemed to move pretty fast

Overall, I really like the movie and look forward to the series.

• Brohoof 2

7 hours ago, Phosphor said:

Initially, I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into with the new generation movie but decided to give it a chance a few days ago. I was actually pretty aggravated (unrelated to the movie) the evening I watched it but noticed how relaxed I was at the end. A good indicator that the movie was enjoyable  :twi:

The intro with G4 was great in my opinion, especially the ridiculous expressions from Rarity at the "fry brains" part. lol. I'm usually not into movie songs much, but found these to be good, actually, especially "Gonna Be My Day, Fit Right In, and Danger Danger. The latter actually sounded familiar and yep, it's definitely inspired by Self Esteem by The Offspring. Great song, btw. I found the antics and stereotypes presented to be funny. The unicorns being superstitious with certain words and chanting "bing bong" was a good example.

The movie did raise some questions tho, mainly with how the ponies forgot about friendship. Also, what happened to Sunny's father? It appears that he had passed away at some point. In the beginning when Sunny was a foal her father didn't look that old or anything.

Ha ha, I also pointed out The Offspring inspiration in my review. ^_^ Our explanation for now on how the ponies forgot friendship is that it's been a long time since the events of FiM. As for Sunny's father, do note that this is not the first time it's appeared that an MLP character has had relatives pass away without explanation. Applejack's parents could not have been that old either. 

• Brohoof 2

Well, it was not bad.
Like many people I guess I expected worse, but I actually got a bit hooked while watching it. Ponies, their voice and visual acting and expression were pretty adorable which had its part in my positive impression, as well as their behaviour not being too childish. Though of course it wasn't really adult as well, as in what Sunny did in the beginning - breaking in the show and trying to tell a crowd things it wouldn't believe in (like Hitch said, did she think they would suddenly believe her?).
There were a few worse things, which were significantly bad for me, first of which is how Sunny's father actually died. We only saw him for about three minutes of screen time, and then, just in a couple seconds of screen getting dark and making a time skip, he suddenly dies. In the background. With the film suddenly kicking us out in front of his pictures and Sunny talking to one. I get it was supposed to be a beautiful dramatic gesture, but to me such a sudden quick loss of a character I just started to like was not dramatic, it was horrific, you do not do that with your characters! :p It would be better if we'd see an additional, smaller time skip of Sunny growing and Argyle getting somewhat ill, or just older, which would push us a bit softer to realization his time is about to end soon. Or if the film started with Sunny being grown up, with pictures if her father telling us he's not around anymore. But not like how the film did it, bleh
Second, and most important bad thing, was the ending. Like I said, the film was mostly enjoyable, and in the ending I felt like the tension was grown pretty nicely: Sunny was about to lose her home, the one she grew up in with her father, and which is everything she has left from her family (her mother is nowhere to see from the beginning), so it was the final moment when she finally joined the crystals, and...
when her home is destroyed, she just goes ":<". I'm not sure I'm supposed to demand a lot from her, but I kind of expected her to be more heartbroken about losing her home than she was.

...was it bad that they didn't work until she came to a rather adult realization about needing to unite and overcome conflicts? No, this idea on its own is pretty nice, and it can be greater then just having to simply connect the crystals together.
However. When she says those wise words, and the unicorn and pegasus pones seem to realize what they have to do, it's the moment of overcoming the conflict. It was a difficult moment, but now they made a big progress. So we don't feel any tension anymore, and that' why when the crystals suddenly fly up and give out their magic, I realized.. I don't feel relieved by that.
Because, look, I remember that their goal was to bring the magic back, but as of this moment, it felt like they realized more important thing, as in needing to overcome their misunderstandings and conflicts, not get the magic itself. When the tension was in the air, when everyone was at stress and physcially it was about Sunny's home almost getting destroyed, it was the moment when I really wanted crystals to work and magic to happen - that would give the satisfaction from the expectations, however when they really start to work, the pressure is no more, it feels just like a bonus gift.
To complete this with an example, this could work in my opinion way better if there were two problems: some big threat which is about to harm everyone, AND confrontation risen between the races, which doesn't let them unite together. This way, it would still be dramatic and meaningful when Sunny realizes what's the real problem between them, and they would listen to her, but also they would still have a big threat they have to overcome somehow, which would feel pretty bittersweet - they finally found a way to solve their differences, but now they're about to lose a lot due to not being able to fix their previous mistakes, And then, crystals would rise, letting Sunny and others fight/overcome that threat, in case of which magic given out would feel really meaningful as well, not just as a gift making everyone happier after ponies already realized the biggest problem they should solve.
Also, the ending itself. Y'know, maybe I don't get somethin, but I feel like, um, giving some sort of an epilogue where happy protagonists do something and we see their story continuing with bright future is something which every family movie should usually do to leave happy impression and mood for viewers when they end watching the film. I dunno. maybe it's not what people actually think unlike me. But I feel like it's pretty clear the ending was somewhat cut, because after the culmination happens - the magic is given out to everyone, everyone is cheering - they're just saying "we did it" and it ends. Like.. shouldn't there have been some sort of denouement to it? It felt kind of disappointing cause seeing them moving on with their lives in some happy attitude compilation would feel really right. Like seeing them hanging out together, seeing how they help Sunny to rebuild her house (which was. um. still broken when they were smiling during the ending??) and etc. Without that, the ending felt kinda sour to me. which is shame, cause properly written ending would make it a film I would rewatch again, but without it my general impression got lowered.

I'm also kind of afraid to build expectations for the upcoming series, because I feel like the general rule of most series is being less serious and immersive than their pilot movies, which was also true with EG series - I didn't enjoy any of their series, but the first four movies were actually nice, I enjoyed them all and they also had awesome songs which really hit my tastes (btw MLP:NG didn't hit my tastes with its songs as well, though they weren't too bad). But I can't know, so time will show

Not a bad movie, still. At least I somewhat liked it, which I didn't expect to

• Brohoof 1

This movie from a purely visual and aural perspective is an absolute joy to watch - so much so it's ridiculously addictive. Ask me how many times all five of the featured songs have popped into my head and stuck there since September? (The answer? Too many! lol) At first I didn't care for "Angry Mob" or "Looking Out for You," but then "AM" grew on me followed soon after by "LOfY." So there isn't a single song featured in the movie that I don't like. They're all really good. I don't have much of an opinion on "Together" since I've only heard it once on the full soundtrack release since it's not one of the songs the characters sing during the movie.

Izzy's my favorite, mainly because she received the most development of the Mane 5 and was the biggest standout personality-wise. All of them are great, however. I even like Pipp a lot even though she had the least amount of time on-screen. Her funniest moment is her getting hoisted into frame like a ragdoll when Haven exclaims the show needs to start. XD

There's isn't any direct correlations between the Mane 5 and Mane 6. Instead, bits of each of the Mane 6 seem to be reassembled into each of the Mane 5. For example, I seem to recall Izzy originally being compared to Rarity because of her sewing cutie mark. It wasn't until after the animations started appearing did she get compared to Pinkie. But in some ways she still has some Rarity in her - her mastery of "Talkin' in fancy" as AJ would put it reminds me of Rarity - and she has shown herself to be really good at design . As another example, Zipp seems to have parts of both Rainbow Dash and Twilight. It will be interesting to learn how these traits play out once the first season of the series is finished.

The inclusion of the G1 movie and series being part of the pop culture in G5 creates a strange twist in the meta: Some G4 characters were based on (or taken outright) from G1. But now in this universe G1 is just another MLP series on TV. (BTW, kudos to the animators for including the "-20%" on those TVs showing G1 - yet another Easter Egg referencing Rainbow Dash's famous line, lol.) So now suddenly G4 paying homage to G1 is turned on its head - in-universe G1 is based on the historical characters from G4. Talk about going full circle!

As others have said, all we got were the rough outlines of the character personalities. I still learned more from Hasbro marketing's bios on the Mane 5 than I did from watching the actual movie. And the ending is rushed. And it raises more questions than it answers. I guess I'm willing to sit tight for now - if this was all there is to G5 it would be much more of a negative. Hopefully the series and specials will fully explore the personalities of them.

I think it's Zipp who gave the shoutout to "butts" in "Fit Right In," but I'm not 100% sure. Hasbro censored that response to Izzy's verse of "Watch us shake our unicorn butts!" in the in-movie version of the song, but it's still present in the extended soundtrack version. Also when taken out-of-context without the visuals, the verse about "hoops" and then the "oops" almost sounds like the ReMane 4 were worried Izzy was about to sing a verse about how a unicorn poops. XD

I feel the story should have hinted that working together would allow magic to return. During the jewel heist, something (besides Cloudpuff) should have gone wrong and at that moment Izzy inadvertently levitates the crown jewel to safety. But both Sunny and Izzy would be dismissive of what happened since they both believe magic can't return until the tribal jewels are reunited. Then during the dance-off, Pipp's supportiveness should have activated Sunny's Earth pony magic and there would have been glowing hoofprints during the final round (that would have been more satisfying than Sunny doing well due to being simply told to do as such). As for the Earth pony jewel, the climax already did this since it activated when the ponies all came together to help Sunny.

Also, the jewels weren't really the MacGuffins the pre-release storybook made them out to be. It wasn't the ponies coming together that released all their magic - it was the jewels coming together that did that. The detail is the jewels wouldn't work until ponies first were again united.

And again Argyle didn't need to die. Admittedly, some of those sour grapes are just selfishness on my part that I didn't like seeing the only G4 Brony in the movie bite it at 6 minutes in. But also I feel the narrative would still have been better served if he were there to be supportive after her returning from her adventure on the lamb with Izzy. Plus, I've come to appreciate movies like "Zootopia" that allow the main characters like Judy a full set of parents to talk to as the story progresses. (I'm assuming Nick's parents are still around somewhere, too.) It would have been much better to just have Argyle turn the lighthouse over to his daughter while he moved into the city proper for age, health reasons and convenience. Sunny wouldn't want to involve her father if she knew that harboring a unicorn was criminal, so there would be no mystery as to why he wouldn't come along.

The tribes putting Sunny and Argyle's photo frame back together was reminiscent of the delegates rebuilding the statue in "Princess Spike." That's the proper note that episode should have ended on. :|

On 2021-09-30 at 9:14 PM, Music Chart Fan said:

So why don't the balloons - or, more specifically, the lighter-than-air gas inside them - lift the pony off the ground even before the flaps are opened?

I guess it could work like a ballast system in a sub, except the displacer is helium and the environment is air instead of water. So pack the balloons in the box very tightly and when they are released they expand to displace the necessary volume of air to create lift. Granted, the amount of friction and pressure present would likely tear latex (or even pop the box outright) so this is still unrealistic but in theory that would be one way to create such a device.

Edited by Truffles
grammar
  • Brohoof 1