Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anti-ethic things about ponykind

Lemon Slices

In some episodes, we all can see that Applejack deals with farm animals, which are intelligent beings[cows, sheeps...]. Wouldn't be anti-ethic to control intelligent creatures to produce to another --superior-- civilization, that turn its products to money that is used for only theirs purposes?

The cartoon doesn't mention nothing about their conditions, but I can tell you guys that what ponykind does about farm animals are slavery. We, humanity, knows how bad it is.

My opinion is that. I wanna read yours.

The only thing I can think of, is that somehow the other animals, while intelligent, are somehow less capable physically of creating a comfortable lifestyle in the same manner that ponies have created entire cities of dwellings, and that ponies like Applejack have taken it upon themselves keep them from suffering as a result, in return for things like wool for clothing, milk for ice cream and... uhm... whatever the pigs can do that has nothing to do with bacon.

The only thing I can think of, is that somehow the other animals, while intelligent, are somehow less capable physically of creating a comfortable lifestyle in the same manner that ponies have created entire cities of dwellings, and that ponies like Applejack have taken it upon themselves keep them from suffering as a result, in return for things like wool for clothing, milk for ice cream and... uhm... whatever the pigs can do that has nothing to do with bacon.

Like feudal age? Kinda "I will keep you in my farm, protecting from evil creatures, but you have to pay with biological products?"

• Brohoof 1

Like feudal age? Kinda "I will keep you in my farm, protecting from evil creatures, but you have to pay with biological products?"

Kind of, though I imagine ponies being a little more altruistic about it than thinking of them as serfs.

• Brohoof 1

It looks a little feudal to me for the intelligent animals.  The less intelligent ones are kept as pets so that squares with human culture there. As for the pigs, they will eat anything so they are great for using as a garbage disposal, and they turn that garbage into fertilizer, even if you don't eat them.

Overall the writers were probably not thinking about it.  They just replaced humans with ponies and set up a town/farm area.

other than a few choice cases, the farm animals have never been shown to be "owned" by the apple family, or any other farmers. So it could simply be that they are semi-sapient and simply live there for an ease of livelihood.

When you do not have the capability to understand even basic currency, the working as labor on a farm to earn a space to live and food sounds like the better of the choices when compared to trying to make it on one's one, when one cannot grasp basic verbal language.

and besides, death to the pigs farm war now.

Kind of, though I imagine ponies being a little more altruistic about it than thinking of them as serfs.

Exactly my thoughts. The social structure and economy in general is very reminiscent of Medieval times and its not like the farm animals are rioting for freedom. They seem to provide services for land, and they want nothing else.

According to the episode "Trade Ya", friends are considered property and are legally allowed to be traded, so that is something else.

Applejack has a lot of animals probably for manure. Besides, a farmer without any animals would be strange in a cartoon. 

Thanks for all the answers, guys, but I have another question on this forum:

I saw some answers that shows something kinda "Sheeps and pigs are less intelligent and need to be kept to produce". Really, this is not for me a good mindline. Saying that "Farm animals are less intelligent and need to be stuck on farm for the rest of their lives producing" is the same of the European Conquerors that said "Indians are lazy and unable to make progresses, so they have to work for us, because we are superior." And ponies are farm animals too! Even donkeys is part of the Equestrian society!

I would continue, but I think I am imposing myself too much on my topics...