Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Things you hate about fashion?

RainbowMau

(edited)

No, I don't. 

While I can't say I relate to your frustration, it's obvious that you're writing off a whole lifestyle and hating it just because of a couple people. That'd be like me saying I hate all Rainbow Dash fans because of a bad experience I had with a couple of them on FimFic a while back. Would that be very fair?

Well, I don't limit it to three people and I already told who are the others, if you saw shows on TV like What not to Wear, How do I Look or Fashion Police you should know what I mean.

Fashion is now full of stereotypes in our society (and I say OUR cause you don't see that in countries like Japan for instance) and my mother and sisters and fashion experts are deadly defenders of them, and I tell it to you as a guy whose wardrobe has been limiting more and more through the time, it makes me feel that I can't choose the clothes I want to wear in peace because someone will tell me that I look weird, or out of fashion, gay, sexual perv or sexually confused (again, people tells it to me cause I'm a guy) and will do the impossible to prevent me from wearing it (it has happened to me)

Last year I secretly bought a shirt with a shark bite when I went to Miami with my family and when my little sister knew it she sad: "Eeew! That bares your midriff!"

Edited by RainbowMau
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Tight Fit
For me, I really like shirts that fit well to my body, not the square-ish shirts. However, when I go shopping, it is sometimes impossible to find a tight-fit shirt that isn't overtly sexual. You know what I mean? Like, I like those that fit comfortably, not the ones that show everything I got, if you catch my drift.

Short Shorts
Been said before in this topic, but whatever. I can't stand shorts that are super-duper short. It's like, okay, I might as well walk out of my house wearing my underwear!

Tight Jeans
So freaking uncomfortable.

Color Schemes
It's funny, cause while guys have the problem of not being able to wear brightly colored clothes, sometimes, girls are looked down upon for wearing darker clothes. I personally prefer wearing black and gray over many colors, though you can't go wrong with purple or blue. It's just, people think you're goth, when really, you just don't want to think about matching colors together.

And by the way, some companies need to learn how to match colors together! Orange does not go good with brown! Or dark green! Then again, I just don't want to wear the color orange period, but those colors just don't work.

i think the ladies can all agree on one thing:

fake pockets.

like, is it so hard to make real pockets? I have no where to put my phone!!

OHMYGOSH YES. It's sooooo annoying! :angry:  :okiedokielokie:

Edited by TheSupremeLeaderOfChaos

skinny jeans seems like every girl wears them. And some of the guys I know.

And the just over flashy stuff. Like the oh so necessary huge hats and feathers and stuff they have on run ways.

Also the jeans that have holes in them....I am not sure why but it bugs me xD.

• 8 years later...

Simply - why are clothes sizes all over the place? They should be more standardized, especially as a lot of shopping happens online now.

Crop tops, too. I would never wear something that short. They're very common nowadays. I hate it when I find something that is otherwise very cute and then it's a crop top. D: lol

Can't really say much about this topic. 

I just look for what's comfortable to me to wear. 

I'm honestly convinced most if not all of the fashion industry is more or less a scam to sell overpriced clothing to people wanting to flex how much they can spend. 

Now, on the flip side to be fair you don't have to grab your clothing from the bargain bin and can spend a little bit on yourself to look nice.

All I'm saying is make sure what you pay for is worth more than a brand or artist name.

SO yeah, overall I would say I don't like that spending more doesn't usually mean a higher return of investment for your money which seems unique to the fashion industry.

I tend to wear clothes that are more for my personal style. So I don't really follow any sort of fashion trends.

I guess the only thing that I can really say that I "hate" in regards to the concept of fashion is probably any social confomity aspect of it where you're expected to wear certain things because everybody else is. I used to come across a lot of snobbery towards me when I was in my teens because I wasn't wearing the right "brands". So yeah, that's the side of fashion I don't really like. Anyone can follow fashion trends and wear the next must have "brands" but I think it's worth more to be stylish. And style comes down to indiviual taste. What works for some may not work for others. So I'm definitely big on people expressing their individuality with their clothing. :proud:

10 hours ago, Treeglow Flicker said:

I tend to wear clothes that are more for my personal style. So I don't really follow any sort of fashion trends.

I guess the only thing that I can really say that I "hate" in regards to the concept of fashion is probably any social confomity aspect of it where you're expected to wear certain things because everybody else is. I used to come across a lot of snobbery towards me when I was in my teens because I wasn't wearing the right "brands". So yeah, that's the side of fashion I don't really like. Anyone can follow fashion trends and wear the next must have "brands" but I think it's worth more to be stylish. And style comes down to indiviual taste. What works for some may not work for others. So I'm definitely big on people expressing their individuality with their clothing. :proud:

honestly I'm the same

yeah, I remember when I was at school, i used to get that at times,
but i always laughed because for spending so much money they looked like they came to school from a skip (plus many loving the north face, which the brand has a negative connotation for me)

l prefer just going for what you prefer too

I hate the limited appeal and imagination of modern fashions. Clothing designers are so obsessed with making ladies’ clothes less feminine, and men’s clothes less masculine. Everything is homogenized down until there’s nothing but a generic one-style-fits-all mess that pleases no one. I like clothing that delineates the sexes and accents each to their best advantage. Dresses look great on ladies and suits look great on men. When people say ‘nice’ clothes are universally uncomfortable I wonder where they’re buying their clothes, because I wear dresses and upscale fashions every chance I get and they feel great. I think there’s just a prejudice against elegant clothes because this is a world that embraces the lowest common denominator, which seems to be jeans with holes all the way from thigh to ankle and skin tight (which is NOT comfortable btw!) just because that’s what others wear. And don’t get me started on ‘boyfriend jeans’ which are cut in a way that makes a girl look like a boy, and that is unacceptable. Girls like to look like girls, last I checked, and I imagine it’s the same with the majority of men. Those who differ can customize their own wardrobe if they feel the fashions of the populace at large is lacking. I don’t choose my clothing based on the popular fashions. If I did, I’d look like shit warmed over. I prefer to be out-of-date if that means looking great and feeling great. That’s why I do a lot of shopping at thrift stores and tweaking old clothes to make them my own.

1 minute ago, Dreambiscuit said:

I hate the limited appeal and imagination of modern fashions. Clothing designers are so obsessed with making ladies’ clothes less feminine, and men’s clothes less masculine. Everything is homogenized down until there’s nothing but a generic one-style-fits-all mess that pleases no one. I like clothing that delineates the sexes and accents each to their best advantage. Dresses look great on ladies and suits look great on men. When people say ‘nice’ clothes are universally uncomfortable I wonder where they’re buying their clothes, because I wear dresses and upscale fashions every chance I get and they feel great. I think there’s just a prejudice against elegant clothes because this is a world that embraces the lowest common denominator, which seems to be jeans with holes all the way from thigh to ankle and skin tight (which is NOT comfortable btw!) just because that’s what others wear. And don’t get me started on ‘boyfriend jeans’ which are cut in a way that makes a girl look like a boy, and that is unacceptable. Girls like to look like girls, last I checked, and I imagine it’s the same with the majority of men. Those who differ can customize their own wardrobe if they feel the fashions of the populace at large is lacking. I don’t choose my clothing based on the popular fashions. If I did, I’d look like shit warmed over. I prefer to be out-of-date if that means looking great and feeling great. That’s why I do a lot of shopping at thrift stores and tweaking old clothes to make them my own.

This is your song, Dreamy. :D

Where I live, there is a decreasing number of clothes made for big people. I don't even consider myself that big, yet I can't help but notice the drop off in production/options after Large and X-Large. So if you're a medium or a small, congrats! The world of clothing is your oyster. (And it's especially odd because I live in a town where tons of people, especially men, tend to have big and tall body types.)

I hate that stores that specialize in selling clothes are now telling people to just shop on their website for more options. NO! Going to the store is the whole point. Being able to try stuff on before purchasing is the whole point. Supporting local economy is the whole point. Not having to deal with return shipping is the whole point! Stock your store better or just be an online store only. I'd rather go to a store that actually has stuff rather than one that has the appearance of having stuff.

There is a lack of creatively expressive clothing, but I hate that it's the more expensive brands that might have whatever I am looking for. I can remember a time when clothing was a bit more diverse. Now I may be remembering things wrong, I might even be thinking of my childhood (at times, the children's clothing section has more options than adult clothing, and I don't think that's fair). However, every once in a while, I'll see an awesome piece of fashion that someone else is wearing, and it makes me wonder where they got it. Because I didn't see it in any other stores! Unless more people are shopping online than I realize, I often feel like people are getting their clothes from some lesser-known store or retailer that I don't know about.

A lot of other thing I could say have all ready been said, so I'll leave it at that. 

• 3 months later...

I hate that nobody wears shoes these days. I don't want to have to see everybody's feet. :Cozy: People claim it's "easier" to put on these flip-flop(such a F-ing stupid name) things. It takes me about ten seconds to put on my shoes! I can't believe more people don't fall and break their necks in those things. Especially since they walk along playing with cell phones.

On 2023-04-22 at 10:36 PM, Envy said:

Simply - why are clothes sizes all over the place? They should be more standardized, especially as a lot of shopping happens online now.

Agreed with that. Sizes should just be in inches or centimeters so you can just measure and buy things.

On 2023-04-22 at 10:36 PM, Envy said:

Crop tops, too. I would never wear something that short. They're very common nowadays. I hate it when I find something that is otherwise very cute and then it's a crop top. D: lol

I have noticed the increase in crop tops. Can't say I mind. :mlp_smug:

• 4 weeks later...

Trends for one thing. I’ve always worn what I want to whether it’s in or not. One minute I’m getting praised for looking badass the next it’s hearing how boots and skinny jeans are out of style. People in general around here either really like how I dress or are offended because I look “satanic”. Either way people stare and it doesn’t really bother me. I mention this because I live nearby a university. I like to get food from the town the university is in because it’s really good. 

When I describe what I wear it doesn’t sound that out there. Fake leather jacket, boots, skinny jeans, black cowboy hat and shirt. Bare minimum makeup. I don’t do anything crazy makeup wise. Now place me in an area with girls wearing the same crop top and baggy jeans. I get stared at A LOT. How I look isn’t in and sometimes people like to make me aware of that. I’ve been wearing faux leather boots since middle school and I’m still wearing them nearing 30. I don’t care if it’s “in” or not. I like how I look and I’m not gonna stop because it’s not “in”. I wasn’t trendy as a kid and I’m not trendy as an adult. I’m not doing the crop top and baggy jeans look just because it’s in. If I liked the look,yeah sure. But because it’s “in”? No. 

As I said though I’m self aware that I stand out and it doesn’t bother me that people stare and give me looks. It’s just people have made comments and it’s like I’m not gonna dress like you just because it’s in. Especially not at my age.