Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Done with console gaming, possibly forever.

TheMarkz0ne

Well that's sure a lot of opinion you're throwing around, @@TheMarkz0ne. Personally I love the PS4 controller, it's the best controller I've held in years, and Hyrule Warriors + Smash Bros. + Bayonetta + Whatever the new Zelda is going to be has made me a happy Wii U owner :D

That being said, PC gaming is becoming more and more accessible and supported so it's perfectly fine to make the switch over to that as-well. I just don't think I personally could miss out on the various exclusives. Bloodborne and Zelda! Aaaahhh!

• Brohoof 1

I strongly disagree with that.

It's received the best reviews ever for a new controller.

I agree with this. While it's not the perfect controller, DS1 through DS3 were virtually identical and I'm glad that DS4 evolves it into something that is overall far more comfortable to hold in general.

• Brohoof 1

img-3169079-1-Nintendo-NES_360.jpg

Agreed. Old School gaming FTW

Regarding the topic at hand:

Console maturity takes several years (as much as 3) well into the 3rd generation of games for said console. I felt the same about PS, PS2 and PS3. However what happened? Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy X, and Uncharted 2 happened. All three were some time after initial launch. It's been less than a year for the current consoles and so it may be unfair to ignore the dev cycle and history and call the XB1 and PS4 failures.

I'm still amazed at the difference in quality between old games and new on my 360. I play something like GTA V or LA Noire on 360 and then I look at early 360 games and it blows my mind. Especially since the 360 has had the same specs since the beginning.

• Brohoof 1

Handhelds are cooler than consoles anyway

Hehe anyway, aside from Nintendo stuff the more I think about it the more I am also considering leaning toward personal computer gaming, Sony & Microsoft's exclusives don't interest me all that much and any third party game I can't get on a Nintendo system I'd just be able to get on the computer... before I was considering a Playstation but I gotta say just jumping into PC gaming sometime is a bit more enticing atm. :wacko:

still dunno tho, we'll see.

Moved over to the PC fully in 2012 after joining Steam in 2009, haven't really looked back. The freedom, flexibility and expansion the PC as a gaming platform provides helps me realize my love of video games more than a console ever would.

Join us, brother. You won't regret it.

Console maturity takes several years (as much as 3) well into the 3rd generation of games for said console. I felt the same about PS, PS2 and PS3. However what happened? Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy X, and Uncharted 2 happened. All three were some time after initial launch. It's been less than a year for the current consoles and so it may be unfair to ignore the dev cycle and history and call the XB1 and PS4 failures.

One problem with that. The PS4 and Xbox One are based on x86 processors and the hardware as a whole is very similar to what you'd find in a low-mid-end PC, like one you can build for $500, but with significantly weaker processors. There are no more unknowns to learn, no secret programming techniques to uncover, unlike previous generations, so what we're seeing now is what we're gonna get on these consoles in a few years as we're now working with hardware every game developer out there is familiar with out of the gate.

I think that controller is the WORST controller for a game console in the 2000s. A controller like this would have bombed a decade ago. How can you go from one of the best controllers on the 360.. to something like the XB1? It's such a downgrade from a console that came out in 2005.

468px-Img6866jpg-5ea6bc_610w.jpg

So much different...

Honestly, I think this whole "Console vs. PC" thing is really subjective. When I look back at my favorite games, I see that they're scattered across console, PC, and even handheld exclusives. Gaming is all about entertaining yourself. What really matters is that you play, not what you play it on.  

• Brohoof 5

Honestly, I'll say it like this: Gaming is gaming; be it console, handheld, pc, modern, or retro.

I'll admit it, I'm more of a console gamer. I grew up with the NES, Genesis, & PS1 as my primary consoles from my childhood into my teen years. The Genesis especially grew on me as my favorite console of all. Now-a-days I enjoy gaming on the PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One, & Wii U; alongside my older systems.

While I was never a PC gamer, I did enjoy a few games back in the day. Indiana Jones & the Infernal Machine, Age of Empire, and, especially, Star Wars: TIE Fighter. All three of these games stole plenty of hours from me. However, for the limited time & finances I have, as well as the more enjoyable exclusives (subjective, of course), PC gaming is never my route. Now, the Steam Box MAY change that, but it has its own limitations.

So yeah, I prefer consoles by a large margin, but PC gaming is good in its own right.

• Brohoof 2

Agreed Pathfinder! Regardless of your choice, you should have decent options available. Tribalism does have it's place in society, but it's just plain silly in gaming.

Eclecticgamingmasterrace

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, agreed.

I lost interest in the Wii U. Because... Do I NEED TO SAY IT AGAIN?

NO. METROID.

The XBONE had no hopes in the first place.

The PS4, is just a sports game machine.

I prefer PC it's a lot more open-source, it has backwards compatability, and it has emulators. ("The XBONE can TV." "But my PC can TV too, and make it's own video.") 

I don't need Windows 95 to play DOOM, just use Zandronum. (Psst... Brutal DOOM makes it better, which you can only get on PC because it's a mod.)

Edited by Kilobyte The Pony

Agreed Pathfinder! Regardless of your choice, you should have decent options available. Tribalism does have it's place in society, but it's just plain silly in gaming.

Eclecticgamingmasterrace

But we can all be reasonable people and acknowledge that the PS1 is better than the PC ever was and ever will be, right?*

*Is specifically acting like an ass

Edited by Ayaze

Eclecticgamingmasterrace

So basically... what you're saying is...

post-26071-0-77638500-1413335925_thumb.jpg

I hear ya. ;)

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, agreed.

I lost interest in the Wii U. Because... Do I NEED TO SAY IT AGAIN?

NO. METROID.

The XBONE had no hopes in the first place.

The PS4, is just a sports game machine.

I prefer PC it's a lot more open-source, it has backwards compatability, and it has emulators. ("The XBONE can TV." "But my PC can TV too, and make it's own video.") 

I don't need Windows 95 to play DOOM, just use Zandronum. (Psst... Brutal DOOM makes it better, which you can only get on PC because it's a mod.)

Zelda U, dude.

Zelda U. (I seriously think this may be one of the best games EVAR)

Join the club.  I largely abandoned consoles a decade ago.  I own a PS2 and a Nintendo DS, both of which I rarely use and probably haven't touched in a year.  My PC is able to meet all my gaming needs and there aren't really any console exclusives I have any real interest in.  Most of my favorite consoles exclusives were produced in the SNES era or the N64 era at the latest and I haven't had any real interest in any of them since then.

Join the club.  I largely abandoned consoles a decade ago.  I own a PS2 and a Nintendo DS, both of which I rarely use and probably haven't touched in a year.  My PC is able to meet all my gaming needs and there aren't really any console exclusives I have any real interest in.  Most of my favorite consoles exclusives were produced in the SNES era or the N64 era at the latest and I haven't had any real interest in any of them since then.

No thank you.

Wild Arms.

Legend of Mana.

Chrono Cross.

Wind Waker.

Chrono Trigger.

Oh sorry, listing some great games YOU CANT HAVE

Aren't most of those SNES era?  Chrono trigger was good as was Secret of Mana (not certain if that is the same as Legend of Mana) but I got bored of them two decades ago.  Wind Waker is probably one of the better 3D Zeldas but I still prefer go old fashion Link to the Past.  Chrono Cross never impressed me and I have never heard of Wild Arms.

Well, okay, you can do that, but honestly, did you really need to say this while also trying to say how horrible consoles are?

The Xbox One is nowhere the system many want it to be. That being the horrible atrocity on mankind. I own the system and I have loved it, it does many things so well. You can say, 'well a PC can do that' or whatever but here is the thing:

Consoles are easy to use, quick, and ready to go. No hassle with new parts or upgrading or whatever. They are here and read to use the moment you buy it. That's one of many reasons to why I prefer them.

Trust me, consoles aren't going away anytime soon. They work in a different way for people. PC gaming doesn't interest me at all. Consoles do everything I want.

Why can't some PC gamers enjoy their PC without resorting to demeaning everything else? That really isn't cool. If you are done with it, then that's fine, but let us who enjoy them enjoy them.

• Brohoof 4

Well, okay, you can do that, but honestly, did you really need to say this while also trying to say how horrible consoles are?

The problem is all that stuff is old and none of the newer systems are backwards compatible, which means if I wanted to run this stuff I would either still need one of the old systems in my possession, or I need to run an emulator on my PC.  Which makes my PC more backward compatible with the consoles I actually liked then the last two generations of consoles. 

The problem is all that stuff is old and none of the newer systems are backwards compatible, which means if I wanted to run this stuff I would either still need one of the old systems in my possession, or I need to run an emulator on my PC. Which makes my PC more backward compatible with the consoles I actually liked then the last two generations of consoles.

Okay, that's perfectly fine, you can enjoy that, but why not just leave it at that and let the ones that enjoy them do so? That's all I am saying. Not trying to start trouble, I just really don't like the atmosphere of this thread overall.

Honestly, I've given up on all but Nintendo right now(May get hte Playstation TV.  But other than that, I'm done with Sony).  Sticking with the Wii U and 3DS this season, all while dedicating the rest of my time to PC Gaming(Mostly Steam and GoG).  Alot of the games that are on the PS4 and XBone are also on the 360 and PS3.  And some of these titles, regardless if they're also on the 360/PS3 or not, are available on the PC as well(Already bought and enjoyed Wolfenstein: The New order and Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor).  I actually sold some of my 360 titles because they were made available on the PC(Ex: Transformers: War for Cybertron, Mortal Kombat, Castlevania: Lord of Shadows, Street Fighter IV).  At this rate, it might as well be "PC or Bust for me."

The problem is all that stuff is old and none of the newer systems are backwards compatible, which means if I wanted to run this stuff I would either still need one of the old systems in my possession, or I need to run an emulator on my PC.  Which makes my PC more backward compatible with the consoles I actually liked then the last two generations of consoles.

That's actually one of the main reasons why I'm sticking it out on the PC.  The XBone and PS4 switched from PowerPC to x86 and that removed the element of Backwards compatibility.  That sucks, especially for those who bought digital downloads from XBLA and/or PSN.  Steam, GoG, hell even Origins are guaranteed to be Forwards compatible with future systems.

Ironically, it's the Wii U that's still Backwards compatible with the Wii and its Virtual Console/WiiWare collection.

Edited by SaburoDaimando

Honestly; that's a fair complaint. For people who'd rather not deal with multiple pieces of hardware and are more interested in keeping it to their singular PC, it makes sense. I won't argue that point as it's a subjective.

For a console guy like me, owning the older hardware is part of the fun. While it's more convenient to...say, download older games to run on emulators or what not, it's more fulfilling to finally own a Sega Dreamcast or Nintendo 64 and actually play the original software as it was originally released while playing it with the original controller.

As I said, it's subjective. It doesn't really make one side of the argument better than the other; it just shows that there are two sides to any one card. :)

• Brohoof 1

post-7306-0-60199300-1413339751_thumb.jpg

See for me i love consoles bc i mean for me how could u turn down this 3ds xl (im getting it for Christmas) with ssb 3ds, but I love Consoles and soon also for Christmas I shall own a NES. I don't know how zi could live my life without consoles.

• Brohoof 2