Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Death in MLP. Is it really as sensitive a subject as some make it?

ManaMinori

Fluttershy has to struggle with her lessons of overcoming shyness and being in public, ect repeatedly, across multiple episodes. Because it's BABY STEPS. She's not going to get over her issues in a day (or the course of a 22 minute episode). Same as Rainbow Dash, because it's not a 1 step process. Her getting over her issues are on repeat, because that's how life works. You have to overcome the same problem multiple times, or over a longer period of time, for it to start taking effect. It's a process. The same could be said for the topic of death, if and when the MLP staff decide to handle it with AJ. Or Scootaloo. Or Twilight (if they kill off Celestia). It's NOT going to be covered and done and dealt with in JUST ONE episode.

Ahh, so lets drag out something far more sensitive than just "overcoming shyness" ect across a entire season, yes?  :maud:

Let's remember the show has a larger, younger audience, and i doubt the writers are willing to present to said audience something as serious as death/coping with death, because it might be something that goes right over the heads of the younger audience, and may even somewhat scare/confuse them. Im sure you'll say 'but other shows do it', but those are other shows, not FiM, so let other shows deal with the topic of death in the way that will be required for it to be properly done for a target audience as young as FiM's, if they do it at all.  :maud:

Again, if the writers wish to tackle it, fine, but im personally not sure they are willing to go there, atleast not yet, and i don't blame them if that's their decision on the matter.   :maud:

• Brohoof 2

Ahh, so lets drag out something far more sensitive than just "overcoming shyness" ect across a entire season, yes?  :maud:

Let's remember the show has a larger, younger audience, and i doubt the writers are willing to present to said audience something as serious as death/coping with death, because it might be something that goes right over the heads of the younger audience, and may even somewhat scare/confuse them. Im sure you'll say 'but other shows do it', but those are other shows, not FiM, so let other shows deal with the topic of death in the way that will be required for it to be properly done for a target audience as young as FiM's, if they do it at all.  :maud:

Again, if the writers wish to tackle it, fine, but im personally not sure they are willing to go there, atleast not yet, and i don't blame them if that's their decision on the matter.   :maud:

Sesame Street did it when the guy who played Mr. Hooper died in real life, so a fictional depiction of death should be okay too.

Edited by Grumpy Enchantress
  • Brohoof 1

Sesame Street did it when the guy who played Mr. Hooper died in real life, so a fictional depiction of death should be okay too.

Ugh. If some are assuming im saying 'the writers should never tackle death!', know that, that isn't what im ultimately saying, and i apologize if i came off as such.  :maud:

Sasame Street is Sesame Street, not My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Fairly same target audience age wise, but two different shows, and two different types of shows, as if i recall, Sesame Street is more of a 'educational childrens show', FiM is not within that category per say.  :maud:

Again, for the 3rd time: If the show staff in the future wishes to tackle the subject of death in a cognitive, not so half-assed fashion, that their target audience can understand, then fine, okay, alright, okie dokie lokie. However, if they feel that they do not wish to tackle the subject of death in a well written, not so lame fashion, then i do not blame them for their decision on the matter.  :maud: 

Edited by Pinkamena-Pills

Well I think like many "issues" in media aimed at children, it's best when it's treated as a non-issue. For instance, in Hey Arnold they have a pretty diverse cast of characters from different ethnic, religious, and economic backgrounds. However, it's better at teaching diversity than say Captain Planet.

Why? Because Hey Arnold treated all of it's characters like people! They weren't a quota to be met, they weren't stereotypes of their surface level backgrounds, they were depicted as characters that just happen to be X.

So, even if the show doesn't overtly draw attention to death, the implication and presence of it is well established. They just do what really should be done, establish it happens, and move on.

Now, could this show address specific character death, such as AJ's parents? I really don't know. Children's media has done such successfully before. Hey Arnold, Static Shock, Steven Universe, The Iron Giant, and countless Disney movies, all handled death in very powerful ways. However, as much as I love this show, I'm not sure if it has the right tone to handle the concept of the death of loved ones. It's different when you establish death happens in your universe as opposed to making it the focus.

You know what? Yeah. I stand by what I said, and don't have any regrets. Know why? BECAUSE PARENTS AREN'T WILLING TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY AND TALK TO THEIR KIDS ABOUT WHAT THEY NEED TO KNOW. Sex, death, whatever. if they did, outside sources wouldn't need to step in and teach the children, themselves. (and fuck, if Sesame Street could tackle it, then there really is no excuse, now is there?) It's exactly BECAUSE people refuse to talk about it that it's so "Taboo", and people aren't ready to deal with real shit when it happens, because no one's ever been willing to talk about it o-r how to deal with it, when it hits them out of the blue. So people need to start educating people- especially the younger generation. If it's over their heads. GOOD! That will make them start asking questions.To their Parents. Who will then TALK to them about it, like they NEED to! Beautiful thing!

I honestly don't get the whole 'it's a kid show' argument. Technically, that could discredit them doing a bunch of stuff in the show. Death is a very touchy subject, I am a sensitive person to depressing stuff like that too. If done right they could easily make me cry. The way I see it, if they wanted to make one episode where something like that happens, it could potentially be a good moral subject, because regardless, death is a real thing. It is tragic and incredibly sad, but still real. So if they did make it a subject in an episode, I think it should be handled in this way: Show the effects and the support of friends. That could be the most happy of outcomes and we all know, friends can help so much in dark times like that. They cannot bring your loved ones back, but they can be there for you when you are at a low. That message has been shown, but with a subject like that, it could be even more powerful. This also would be a far less depressing way to handle it.

Do I think it is necessary? Ehhhh, not really 'necessary' but I actually would be interested if they took a route like I mentioned. It is something that I would respect if handled right and I am sure they would handle it just fine. This show is incredibly happy and positive, and in my opinion, what better of a show could there be to shed light on such a dark topic for kids? That's how I see it anyways.

You know what? Yeah. I stand by what I said, and don't have any regrets. Know why? BECAUSE PARENTS AREN'T WILLING TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY AND TALK TO THEIR KIDS ABOUT WHAT THEY NEED TO KNOW. Sex, death, whatever. if they did, outside sources wouldn't need to step in and teach the children, themselves. (and fuck, if Sesame Street could tackle it, then there really is no excuse, now is there?) It's exactly BECAUSE people refuse to talk about it that it's so "Taboo", and people aren't ready to deal with real shit when it happens, because no one's ever been willing to talk about it o-r how to deal with it, when it hits them out of the blue. So people need to start educating people- especially the younger generation. If it's over their heads. GOOD! That will make them start asking questions.To their Parents. Who will then TALK to them about it, like they NEED to! Beautiful thing!

I see, so you want MLP:FiM to become the surrogate parent to children possibly, interesting(?).  :maud:

Yes, lets make MLP:FiM take the role of "parent" and talk & teach kids under 12 about sex, death and whatnot, such as rape, or racism.That will totally go over well, because at that age, children can totally understand the complexities of those subjects. And if it goes over their heads i doubt it will be "GOOD!", because how do you know they will basically 'talk to their parents' and instead just take the wrong message from it possibly, and form their own understanding outside of conventional moral boundaries? What if they don't ask questions at all, and instead become confused or possibly scared?  :maud:

Again for the bloody 4th time: If MLP:FiM wishes to tackle the discussion of death, fine. But i personally don't expect them too anytime soon. Could that change? Maybe, maybe not. Im okie dokie lokie with it either way.  :maud:

Edited by Pinkamena-Pills
  • Brohoof 1

While I definitely don't think they'll ever have Celestia or any long-term character of the show die, I definitely could see the show handling the topic of AJ's parents.  Many cartoons at one point have handled the subject of death in one way or another, and I think it's something that could definitely be done in FiM.  At it's core, one of FIM's main goals has always appeared to be teaching its audience how to overcome obstacles, and death of a loved one is certainly an obstacle a lot of people have to face.

I do think if they do it, it will be something much more focused on coping and emotions than talking about the death itself.  I don't think we're going to get some flashback scene of AJ's parents being brutally murdered... we're probably going to get something more along the lines of how Rugrats talked about Chuckie's mom... through Chuckie talking about how he missed his parents. I imagine it'll either be something like Applebloom asking about their parents and AJ having a hard time with it, or AJ having trouble taking care of Applebloom and talking about how she wishes she had her parents there.

Regardless of how they handle it, I definitely think AJ's parents are a topic we probably will see addressed to some degree in a later season of FIM.

As for the death of a character like Celestia... it's just not going to happen.  The goal of a death episode is not to traumatize the children watching, it's to teach them and talk about people who went through a similar incident to what they might be experiencing.  They just aren't going to kill off a long term character in the show... that's something even adult shows are very hesitant to do, so it just isn't going to happen in a show like this.

• Brohoof 2

It's NOT going to be covered and done and dealt with in JUST ONE episode.

More than likely, it will be one episode. Even more likely it will not even be the central plot of an episode. And it will be the best approach to this topic to be honest since a characterization and personality trait is meant to be developed over time, while an event is dependent on the nature of the event. Take into account the oft discussion Apple Family. The event occurred sometime in the past when the siblings were all young. Addressing death could be as simply as Granny looking on AJ and all and saying that their parents would have been proud, or connect it to the moment we all know is coming ... Applebloom getting her cutie mark. In this likely outcome, you do not have to traumatize children with witnessing the the event or the emotional immediacy and fallout. The characters can show sadness and nostalgia, but would have obviously already handled the tragedy. No baby steps needed. 

Also, I am in full agreement with the Munkhead Mod on this. Interesting as we both love a specific episode of another cartoon that directly tackled death head on. :(

• Brohoof 1

While I definitely don't think they'll ever have Celestia or any long-term character of the show die, I definitely could see the show handling the topic of AJ's parents.  Many cartoons at one point have handled the subject of death in one way or another, and I think it's something that could definitely be done in FiM.  At it's core, one of FIM's main goals has always appeared to be teaching its audience how to overcome obstacles, and death of a loved one is certainly an obstacle a lot of people have to face.

I do think if they do it, it will be something much more focused on coping and emotions than talking about the death itself.  I don't think we're going to get some flashback scene of AJ's parents being brutally murdered... we're probably going to get something more along the lines of how Rugrats talked about Chuckie's mom... through Chuckie talking about how he missed his parents. I imagine it'll either be something like Applebloom asking about their parents and AJ having a hard time with it, or AJ having trouble taking care of Applebloom and talking about how she wishes she had her parents there.

Regardless of how they handle it, I definitely think AJ's parents are a topic we probably will see addressed to some degree in a later season of FIM.

As for the death of a character like Celestia... it's just not going to happen.  The goal of a death episode is not to traumatize the children watching, it's to teach them and talk about people who went through a similar incident to what they might be experiencing.  They just aren't going to kill off a long term character in the show... that's something even adult shows are very hesitant to do, so it just isn't going to happen in a show like this.

well yeah, traumatizing would be bad. But if DHX wanted to kill off a character for whatever reason (likely, the elder alicorns, so Twilight (and her friends, if they become alicornified) could rule over everything), there are ways to go about it without being traumatizing. Not like they handled Philomena's death. Celestia (or some other pony) could explain - when it's her and Luna's (or some other pony's time to go) that everything has a beginning and an end, and that grieving when somepony's time comes to the end of that cycle is natural, healthy even, and that while things may seem dark for a short while, there will be a new beginning of somepony else's cycle to look forward to, soon enough, and that memories of the old never fade, and will continue to live on, far longer than what came to the end of its natural cycle ever will. Or something to that effect.

Also, and this is a Season Five Spoiler

It has been confirmed that we will have an episode regarding the emotional fallout of Twilight losing her home. This is likely the sad story MA Larson said he hated having to write

There is your death story. Symbolism is great for adults and so much deeper and emotional in this artists opinion. 

• Brohoof 2

It has been confirmed that we will have an episode regarding the emotional fallout of Twilight losing her home. This is likely the sad story MA Larson said he hated having to write

There is your death story. Symbolism is great for adults and so much deeper and emotional in this artists opinion. 

I will miss that weird library tree thingy.  :maud:

624405.jpeg

if that's what its actually about.  :maud:

• Brohoof 1

No, because it's too much of a mood-breaker for mlp's lighthearted, comedy theme. Why do people keep pushing for a darker MLP? Why does anyone think that would be a good idea?

Kinda impossible for it to be sad when she already has a replacement home (a bigger and better one, too), before the episode even begins. Unless it's supposed to be sad because of the memories she had from living there, but eh. Not really sad enough to even bother with, and they shouldn't be trying to have that that kind of stuff in the series anyway, because mood-breaker.

Edited by Wulfgar Von Heltzer

It really just depends on how its tackled. Like I said in another thread, FiM shouldn't be necessarily compared to some shows as FiM just can't relate to them. Two different shows, two different styles, etc.

However, some examples can be brought up, like how in Static Shock they dealt with the death of his mother. Easily one of the most powerful & fulfilling episodes I ever saw in an animated series.

I won't say that FiM SHOULD cover such a sensitive issue, but I think it can be handled well enough. There is potential there.

• Brohoof 1

Depends on how they portray death in mlp. Me personally, I would think it would make the show alot more interesting. Besides, I doubt kids would understand what's going on. For example: I didn't realize how horrifying Claton's death from tarzan was until I was much older.

No, because it's too much of a mood-breaker for mlp's lighthearted, comedy theme. Why do people keep pushing for a darker MLP? Why does anyone think that would be a good idea?

Kinda impossible for it to be sad when she already has a replacement home (a bigger and better one, too), before the episode even begins. Unless it's supposed to be sad because of the memories she had from living there, but eh. Not really sad enough to even bother with, and they shouldn't be trying to have that that kind of stuff in the series anyway, because mood-breaker.

That would only be an issue for a poor writer. Humans are a nostalgic bunch, we associate feelings with objects - especially when sentimental memories come into play. Many are suckers for that kind of storytelling (I know I am if it's done right). The sales of YA novels, Chicken Soup for the Soul add credence to my view, even if yours may be an outlier.

Anyway it's already confirmed so we'll just have to wait and see how it works on screen.

• Brohoof 1

So do you guys think their should be an MLP episode that covers the topic of death of a loved one or friend and how to deal with it? If so who do you think should die and who should it affect?

Personal I would like to send an episode showing the death of AJ, Big Mac and Applebloom's parents.

It would be a daring episode to do to be sure. Sesame Street did it, but I'm not sure that Hasbro has the stomach for such a heavy episode. From a story perspective it would be nice to flesh out AJ's backstory, but I'm not sure Hasbro wants to open themselves up to the issue that could come from parents. Parents don't necessarily want a cartoon teaching their children about such a weighty subject that has a lot of emotional and religious baggage.