Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Death in MLP. Is it really as sensitive a subject as some make it?

ManaMinori

Did not king zombra, or whatever was his name, die when being deafeted by the crystal impire...star thingy(you probarly know what I'm talking about). or do I rememmber it wrong?

• Brohoof 2

Actually, I think it's a good idea, if they show the death of Apple's parents, i mean death is something normal and natural, and a episode like this can teach the kids about how to confront the death of a beloved one

• Brohoof 1

Well, if they imply someone died before, not show someone dying on screen, I don't think it would be that bad, but as others have said, the writers most likely aren't going to do an episode on death.

No matter whether or not the fans want it or the writers want to do it doesn't matter. In the end, the decision's on Hasbro's desk, and they have proven that they don't want to do it. It's always been considered as simply "too sad" for the target audience, even if its predecessors have done it. What we have to remember is that it's an incredible storytelling risk, and as you can see here not everyone's for it. Some may even be traumatized or reminded of a past experience by it, and that could end up ruining the show for them. No one knows for sure how many would be for it or against it, and Hasbro's main aim here is selling toys, not delivering wholesome entertainment (that's the job of the writers and DHX). At the end of the day, Hasbro's not going to go out and try something that could potentially cost them some numbers.

Did not king zombra, or whatever was his name, die when being deafeted by the crystal impire...star thingy(you probarly know what I'm talking about). or do I rememmber it wrong?

he did indeed die, the topic of death has been handled a few times in this show...

They should do an episode about Apple Jack's parents, but no. Not death, that's the complete opposite about what the show is about.

Yes. I've said it before and I'll say it again, AJ's Parents are really the only gateway in doing a story that touches on death and it's impact on the main characters. This could be done so many ways - but most effectively would be a subtle "Do you think mom would be proud?", Question from AJ to Big Mac (or Applebloom to AJ)?

That is how you do it with Pony. Subtle and with care and love.

• Brohoof 3

When has the topic of death been handled on the show?

King Sombra died on-screen, there's the funeral in Hearts And Hooves Day (Which Sweetie Belle interrupted), Queen Chrysalis is speculated to be dead (Unless you count the IDW comics as canon), Celestia appeared to have been killed by her own sister in Princess Twilight Sparkle - Part 2, Applejack's parents are implied to be dead and

many people speculate if Tirek was either banished or killed.

Edited by ShadowPirateX

King Sombra died on-screen, there's the funeral in Hearts And Hooves Day, Celestia appeared to have been killed by her own sister in Princess Twilight Sparkle - Part 2, Applejack's parents are implied to be dead and

many people speculate if Tirek was either banished or killed.

So what you are saying the show has never directly tackled the issue of death and how one handles and coupes with it.

So what you are saying the show has never directly tackled the issue of death and how one handles and coupes with it.

Pretty much. The only direct death was King Sombra, but he's a villain and no one cares about the villains (Except me). The others are either implied or subtle.

Many people seem to forget that Equestria very similar to our world. History and culture are pretty much the same except portrayed a little differently. Sweetie Belle running through a funeral would be the same as some random kid doing the same thing IRL. Death is never an easy subject to deal with, but it really depends on the person. There are reasons why death is necessary, even in little kid's shows, and that is to learn the values of life. 

• 4 weeks later...

It's mainly that Hasbro doesn't want to go there in a girls' cartoon meant to advertise girls' toys.

Me, I'd be okay with death in Equestria as long as it was well handled.

(Sure, Sombra blown to bucking bits, but no one mourns the wicked)

mlp comic spoiler

img-3230120-1-etgrcw.jpg

death is definetly a very touchy subject..

Thing is, comic books have more freedom when it comes to violence & death (and other things) because they're read by individuals instead of watched by an audience.

(Just ask Wolverine and Batman)

Also, if they're do something on death, don't pull a Seth MacFarlane and kill of a major character to get attention only to bring him back a few weeks later.

Or worse, pull a Dragon Ball Z... <_< 

Also, and this is a Season Five Spoiler

It has been confirmed that we will have an episode regarding the emotional fallout of Twilight losing her home. This is likely the sad story MA Larson said he hated having to write

There is your death story. Symbolism is great for adults and so much deeper and emotional in this artists opinion.

I will miss that weird library tree thingy. :maud:

img-3192244-1-624405.jpeg

if that's what its actually about. :maud:

I feel a disturbance...as if hundreds of bees cried out at once...and then were silenced :(

(not that they ever even came close to mattering, but still)

Edited by Jangobadass

Well it depends on how well it's used in a story. Death could be used in an episode of say, AJ being sad over her parents' deaths and her friends helping her cope. Though, it would seem out of place to just kill a pony randomly in this light hearted show. So the question is not if they can do it, but if they can do it in the the context of the story.

Oh please, one of the shows I watched as a kid had death as the main character. Also, doesn't The Lion King, which could qualify as a children's movie have a major death scene in it? I thought so. Oh, and if you wanna see worse than simple death, watch any episode of Courage the Cowardly Dog.

yes, death will not ruin the target audience's minds, if anything, hiding death from them would be the bad thing to do.

every kid goes through a time in their lives where they lose someone, whether it be a grandparent, an aunt or uncle, and sometimes a parent.

life happens, and MLP could do a lot on the subject to help grieving, showing a character find the strenghth to move on from the death of a loved one can be a powerful thing.

I'm not trying to put too much on their shoulders or anything, but a lot of people already use MLP to help with depression, my self included. 

I have faith in their writing skill, they managed to make 'us' fall in love with the show, didn't they?

if they do they an Applejack episode  about her parents, it'll be the best day of my life! :D

Don't underestimate kids.

Edited by Lucky Star

It's have been hinted that AJ's parent's deaths will be touched upon, I just don't expect any character, apart of Sombra (he was mostly a disaster with a face and name anyway  :P ), to die, even offscreen 

I dunno.  You see stuff dying all the time in Adventure Time, a children's cartoon.  MLP was originally meant for an audience of little girls, but obviously, it is now more known as a show for the whole family.  In my opinion, MLP has more in common with shows like Adventure Time and Avatar the Last Airbender than Dora the Explorer and Sesame Street.  Anyway, getting back to the point, I doubt the creators will hesitate to portray death in any way on the show.

I don't think it's a matter of "sensitive subject", it's just not necessary to have any pony died, what for?  (Only two ponies I don't give a feather about their death, are Flim and flam)

Death and violence are overrated and overused, there's no need to have them to have deep meaning or something.

If I wanna watch something with people dying I'd go watch anime (like Claymore, or something newer like Parasyte). 

I can't see them ever tackling death in the show ever. Modern children's television is much more controlled and censored than it was years ago. Also, I don't know about you guys but I don't watch FiM to be upset. It's supposed to be a happy and carefree show!

If the writers handled it the right way, they could pull off a death episode.

Without gore, obviosuly.

• 1 month later...

When topics of death arise in MLP, it's mostly to talk about the possibilities of AJ, Apple Bloom, and Big mac's (supposedly dead) parents being given mention in an episode, or killing off Celestia or Luna so Twilight can rule all of Equestria. And many replies to such are that the topic of death in a kid's show is too sensitive a subject for the kiddies.

Well, to that, let me just bring up exhibit A. Disney did it first, and they do it well in their kid's shows. Ok, ok, That's not really my evidence. Let's look at the episode "Princess twilight Sparkle", shall we? In this episode, Twilight gets to see into the past where Luna turns into Nightmare moon, and she alicorn beams down her sister, Celestia, and before coming to the conclusion that it's all a view of the past, Twilight seems to believe that Celestia is dead, and the situation is entirely set up for the viewers, as well, to believe such. Dramatic lighting, unmoving princess, Twilight crying over her beloved mentor's 'dead body', you all get the hint.

img-3191310-1-1_zps17bbf0f4.png

I don't think Hasbro's afraid to touch on the topic of a character's death, else this scene- where everyone, I assume had actually thought Celestia was as good as dead, would've never made out of storyboard mode.

And in "Hearts and Hooves Day", Sweetie Belle outright interrupts a funeral during her musical number. LOOK! There's a coffin, RIGHT THERE! Sooooo.....yeaaaaahhhhh.....that reeks of death.

img-3191310-2-2_zps1a6943ce.png

Is it really a topic Hasbro/ DHX considers too sensitive, or is it really us, the viewers?

My younger sisters reaction to the uppermost scene was priceless. "Is she dead? she's not dead is she?" bless her i hadn't had feels like that since mufasa in the lion king which looks suspiciously like this scene..

When topics of death arise in MLP, it's mostly to talk about the possibilities of AJ, Apple Bloom, and Big mac's (supposedly dead) parents being given mention in an episode, or killing off Celestia or Luna so Twilight can rule all of Equestria. And many replies to such are that the topic of death in a kid's show is too sensitive a subject for the kiddies.

Well, to that, let me just bring up exhibit A. Disney did it first, and they do it well in their kid's shows. Ok, ok, That's not really my evidence. Let's look at the episode "Princess twilight Sparkle", shall we? In this episode, Twilight gets to see into the past where Luna turns into Nightmare moon, and she alicorn beams down her sister, Celestia, and before coming to the conclusion that it's all a view of the past, Twilight seems to believe that Celestia is dead, and the situation is entirely set up for the viewers, as well, to believe such. Dramatic lighting, unmoving princess, Twilight crying over her beloved mentor's 'dead body', you all get the hint.

I don't think Hasbro's afraid to touch on the topic of a character's death, else this scene- where everyone, I assume had actually thought Celestia was as good as dead, would've never made out of storyboard mode.

And in "Hearts and Hooves Day", Sweetie Belle outright interrupts a funeral during her musical number. LOOK! There's a coffin, RIGHT THERE! Sooooo.....yeaaaaahhhhh.....that reeks of death.

Is it really a topic Hasbro/ DHX considers too sensitive, or is it really us, the viewers?

My younger sisters reaction to the uppermost scene was priceless. "Is she dead? she's not dead is she?" bless her i hadn't had feels like that since mufasa in the lion king which looks suspiciously like this scene..

I just assumed that was a hint on religion or what not. Wait what? i swear the religion in equestria missed this screenshot out 

Death is a very touchy subject. Remember that this show is also a children's show, and children can get scared/traumatized by things that we adults could just shrug off.  Yes, death has been portrayed before in Disney films and others, but it's very tricky to pull off. Maybe the writers don't really want to take that risk.

What happened to Sombra if he didn't die? did he just get banished somewhere that will be revealed when he returns that's the general way of doing things in mlp :S

Slightly off-topic, but slightly related:

Why do people think that children are so fragile mentally? This is something I've just never quite understood. In my experience, children are actually quite resilient. They have an open mind, and are able to deal with loss and acceptance better than many adults.

Seeing a character's death on TV when I was a kid wouldn't have been traumatic in the slightest. I'd react more strongly now than I would back then, simply because I have a greater capacity to empathize and understand the implications of death. My younger self would have just accepted the death as fact and moved on quickly. Oooh, look! Ice cream!

Edited by Admiral Regulus
  • Brohoof 1

Talking about death with any matter is a sensitive subject. Losing someone you love would be drastic. But, it happens. I think something such as death us too much for MLP as of right now, now for future seasons, maybe it can be considered, but thats about it for now. 

I dont want a death, i want all characters to remain breathing.

Death in general is a sensitive topic and if the writers don't feel comfortable about tackling it, then they shouldn't have to until they feel they're ready, that's my take on it

As for the coffin, it was just quick enough that people pretty much let it go. That's a different beast all together

let it goooooooo!!!! let it gooooooo!!!! can't hold it back anymooooooorrrre

• Brohoof 1