Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Death in MLP. Is it really as sensitive a subject as some make it?

ManaMinori

Personally, I see nothing wrong with showing death in MLP. Sesame Street did it, so why can't this show? 

However, MLP can only do this the way Sesame did: doing it in a way that shows that death may be a sad event, but you will always have your memories to keep the person alive.

I don't think a death episode would be a bad thing. I know enough about death to be able to say that friendship is a very strong part of coping with it. When my mom died four years ago the first thing I did was call a friend. We just walked around the lake making morbid jokes because that makes it easier to deal with.

My point is that a show about friendship is almost obligated to have an episode where death is touched upon, because at times like that you need your friends most of all. I needed them then, anyway, and I think many others would as well.

I agree however, that it has to be touched upon sensitively. I'm also not in favor of killing off a main character because that would break me. (As in I'd be in tears for the rest of the episode, not suffer deep psychological trauma)

Death is always a sensitive topic, especially if you have to explain it to children, because children mostly don't understand the concept of death..

But, considering i grew up in the 90s, where i have been exposed to so many death scenes in childrens media, most famously this one:

406223_1340761031692_500_281.jpg

1316078_1386966633939_full.jpg

I think, if you do it the right way, you can make it work.

The problem though, is not the show itself, it's the fact that times have changed in the last 20 years. People have become alot more sensible and usually  freak out about every single bad thing that happens and also have a louder voice, through the internet. If the show does it, they run into risk of being bombarded by Soccermoms, who scream:

3rnvk6.jpg

Would i wish for it? Totally. But at the same time, i fear for the backlash.

• Brohoof 1

I can't see them ever tackling death in the show ever. Modern children's television is much more controlled and censored than it was years ago. Also, I don't know about you guys but I don't watch FiM to be upset. It's supposed to be a happy and carefree show!

Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, Korra, Transformers: Prime, Regular Show, and Steven Universe have shown to be capable of referencing and tackling death. 

• Brohoof 1

True death is sensitive, but you need to show kids that this is life. Don't do it harshly, but teach them regarding death and where they go after.

• Brohoof 1

• 5 years later...

Well, they kinda killed Sombra and Granny Smith was dead in the last episode. But yeah, no episode dedicated for death and how to deal with it. And it would be interesting storywise considering action-adventure direction in the last seasons (like Fern's death in Adventure Time)

• Brohoof 1

On 1/27/2015 at 8:54 AM, Mesme Rize said:

Death is always a sensitive topic, especially if you have to explain it to children, because children mostly don't understand the concept of death..

But, considering i grew up in the 90s, where i have been exposed to so many death scenes in childrens media, most famously this one:

406223_1340761031692_500_281.jpg

I can't imagine what would 90s and later kids would do with something like this if Mufasa and Bambi's mom was what broke them compared to were you have to not only see the mom die but go through the process of Littlefoot grieving her for 10 minutes afterwards without any happy song immediately after to forget the pain as quickly as possible like the Lion King or Bambi that a psychologist had to advice the directors to include a new scene to not make it too traumatic. and well... how'd chu know, I'm still here and watched those movies as a kid a ton because they are very powerful and grand. I still... cry a bit on those scenes... but it's part of what makes them unique, and with the passing years they become ever more important and get more meaning.

Land Before Time's death scene

or this

Artax Sinking into The Swamp of Sadness in "The Neverending Story" Might be  the Saddest Movie Scene Ever

Still, you should include death in kid's cartoons and media though because hiding it under the carpet won't make it go away and it's way better that they get closer to the theme of death when they are young because it will make it less scary and less unnatural (of course depending on how you depict it). Death is the only sure thing. If you don't address it it would be like never telling your kid that they have to eat to keep functioning. 

That's partially why day of the dead exists here in Mexico and why kids are given chocolate and sugar skulls. It's to literally train them into the idea of death as a thing that exists and will happen to everyone. That's why you paint your face like a skull, is not to scare like halloween but the complete opposite, to accept death as normal and that one day we ourselves will look like skeletons too.

The Children: Day of the Dead in Oaxaca, Mexico | Oaxaca Cultural Navigator  : Norma Schafer

There's a lot of psychological studies that will tell you that speaking about death to children is much better to start when they are younger than later. So I do think that MLP could have done a better more up front work in that regard. It doesn't even have to be tremendously sad or impactful but they could have made Applejack's parents officially dead or Tank could actually have died. As it is is only confusing and unclear, or even worse could have gone through kids heads entirely like it's nothing.

Edited by Ittoni

• 3 years later...