Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Something that would likely never exist in Equestria...

PoisonClaw

This also supports my theory that Equestria is a far smaller world than Earth, with a much weaker gravitational field. Muscle power could not operate a helicopter on Earth, nor would a Pegasus have enough wingspan to get off of the ground.

Ah, but. Pinkie Pie is an earth pony, and it's established that they are exceptionally strong.

Also, the fact that pegaus ponies can fly with such small wings can be explained by magic. Unicorns' magic is expressed in the most obvious fashions, but pegasus ponies and earth ponies are also magical beings. (See also the Tinker Bell films. Faries need pixie dust to fly because their wings are inadequate.)

As to booze  Check out Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000.  I grew up in the sticks, in Amish country.  Sure, you can drink cider out of beer mugs.  They're big, hard to break & have a handle.  What cider doesn't have is a head.  No, not even "hard" (fermented) cider.  To me, that looked a lot like Oktoberfest (minus the dumb clothes & polka bands, of course)

Over the decades, I've known some druggies & a lot of recreational drug users.  If ponies are anything like people, they've got some too.  But, you've got a point.  In a TVY cartoon they ain't even going to hint at that.

As to "Dash is a flyer, she wouldn't drink"  Never knew a pilot, so I couldn't say.  Tom Wolfe's book "The Right Stuff" says pilots mix drinking & flying more than you'd think.

Edited by sweetolebob18

The fact that steam locomotive engines exist in Equestria, pretty much proves that they have welding and machining capabilities. 

img-3274288-3-steampowered.jpg

img-3274288-4-stokingfirebox.jpg

Quite a lot of sophisticated machining goes into building a steam engine. Just look at the speed, temperature, pressure, water level, and oil level gauges over the firebox. It takes a lot of delicate machine work to produce accurate instrumentation for a steam engine.  The coal also implies a rather high level of mining technology in Equestria.

(I am so glad they dropped that really stupid sight gag of ponies pulling a steam engine!)

Actually before welding, everything was either forge welded (technically yet not technically considered a modern form of welding; it is an ancient blacksmithing art, but when it comes to the politics of this stuff, it's not considered "welding" and yet classified under AWS as welding :huh: )

OR riveted.... modern welding did not exist for the greater part of the industrial revolution....everything was riveted. Machining does not require welding, and the machines to do the machining also do not require welding to be put together.  You are talking to a steam enthusiast, a blacksmith, a welder, and a foundrywoman...I actually hope to build a steam engine from scratch. As far as modern tequniques go, I would not need to weld at all, however, the ASME codes requires it in MN (for safety's sake) for major components of the engine to help prevent boiler explosions...

With all that aside, I still stand by my statement, because so far, any and all machines thus far presented in MLP do not need welding, and in fact, with the technology presented, riveting is cheaper and easier...

• Brohoof 1

Actually before welding, everything was either forge welded (technically yet not technically considered a modern form of welding; it is an ancient blacksmithing art, but when it comes to the politics of this stuff, it's not considered "welding" and yet classified under AWS as welding :huh: )

OR riveted.... modern welding did not exist for the greater part of the industrial revolution....everything was riveted. Machining does not require welding, and the machines to do the machining also do not require welding to be put together.  You are talking to a steam enthusiast, a blacksmith, a welder, and a foundrywoman...I actually hope to build a steam engine from scratch. As far as modern tequniques go, I would not need to weld at all, however, the ASME codes requires it in MN (for safety's sake) for major components of the engine to help prevent boiler explosions...

With all that aside, I still stand by my statement, because so far, any and all machines thus far presented in MLP do not need welding, and in fact, with the technology presented, riveting is cheaper and easier...

I bow to your obvious expertize. I am glad you agree on machining though.

Slightly off topic. Have you ever read any Terry Pratchett? His latest Discworld novel "Raising Steam" may interest you. Steam locomotives make their premier on the Disc! 

• Brohoof 1