Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Something that would likely never exist in Equestria...

PoisonClaw

...is leather. I don't know, am I the only one disturbed by the fact that this keeps popping up in fan fiction?

For those unaware, leather is tanned animal skin or hide, commonly taken from cows. And while that may be fine and dandy on earth, not only are cows sentiment enough for the capability of speech in Equestria (along with several other animals that leather is commonly made up) but it seems more like something an ancient barbaric tribe would do than anyone from modern day Equestria. And yes, I am aware that faux-leather does exist, but it still just seems wrong.

In fact, I've only seen two fics in total that have pointed this fact out. One was a Doctor Whooves fic that had the Doctor asking if an outfit was made of leather before very quickly realizing the negative connotations of that and the other had a leather bound book that was outright said to be the equivalent of the Necronomicon.  

• Brohoof 1

To be perfectly honest the only way I could possibly see leather occurring in Equestria is by a pony seeing that either Griffons, Minotaurs(?) or Dragons have made leather and as such wanting to replicate it. But, as you have said, animals that usually make up leather are sentient in Equestria, thus faux-leather was created using various substitute materials and plastics.

Something along those lines is the only way I can see any form of leather popping up in Equestria. But as you stated, no fanfics that include leather actually go into such detail.

Does it disturb me though? No, it doesn't. Having a human mindset, I am used to the idea of leather. I can understand why it would be wrong for a sentient being to be murdered and cut up for their skin. But the thought of it doesn't disturb be as much as having a human harvested for their skin would.

A bit off topic, but I'd say "eating eggs"  Yurs, they use them in baked goods, (try making a cake without them) I mean visibly egg.  Fried, scrambled, deviled eggs, etc.  This would probably have a huge "yuck" factor.  Vegan ponies no doubt avoid these baked goods.

Also, lard (The sales department changed the name to "shortening" but it's still lard & it's still bad for you)  Back in the day, they had to use animal fat (a dark chapter in pony history, skimped over by text books.  Sort of like we don't stress the fact that many of the founding fathers kept slaves).  The ponies have doubtless advanced to all vegetable shortenings & non animal fat soap (early soap, lye + fat).  Still, there are Dark & Horrible Rumors about what goes on in some evil sinks of depravity

In one of the episodes, AJ had a pig on their farm.  There only to hunt truffles or are Sinister Forces at work here? 

As to pets, predators (dogs especially) seem a lot less popular.  Again, AJ has 1.  Looks sort of like a border collie & they are a big help herding, especially sheep

A bit off topic, but I'd say "eating eggs" Yurs, they use them in baked goods, (try making a cake without them) I mean visibly egg. Fried, scrambled, deviled eggs, etc. This would probably have a huge "yuck" factor. Vegan ponies no doubt avoid these baked goods.

Hate to burst your bubble, but it's canon that ponies eat eggs. It's shown near the beginning of Sisterhooves Social that at least Rarity and Sweetie Belle are open to eating eggs.

post-14040-0-60685900-1415262074_thumb.jpg

If it weren't canon, I would agree with you.

In one of the episodes, AJ had a pig on their farm. There only to hunt truffles or are Sinister Forces at work here?

As to pets, predators (dogs especially) seem a lot less popular. Again, AJ has 1. Looks sort of like a border collie & they are a big help herding, especially sheep

In a culture like Equestria's, I'd actually be surprised to see many predators as pets. I mean, feeding it would likely be an issue.

My personal opinion on the pig? I think it's a possibility the Apple Family could be raising pigs for competitions like the one briefly showcased in, again, Sisterhooves Social :3

...Wow... I bet I sound like that's like my favourite episode now, huh? xP

Anyway, just my thoughts for the latter part of my comments. Could be wrong, could be right. I don't really care which one I am. x3

post-14040-0-60685900-1415262074_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mint Drop
  • Brohoof 1

Mint Drop  Well, when you're right, you're right & you're right.  Going by Rarity's face, though, I'd say there is some doubt about ALL ponies eating eggs.  I'd also guess Vegans are more common in Equestria than on Earth & that there is some version of PETA

Here's my list:

- Petrol: Honestly, they wouldn't need more than animal propulsion and even less change it for such contaminating resource.

- Telecommunications: Telegraph and mail are the only ones used and just when they're too far, this is about friendship and close contact is more important.

- Fireguns: No technology, no war, no weapons! And Pinkie Cannon is just for entertaining purposes.

Edited by RainbowMau

Here's my list:

- Petrol: Honestly, they wouldn't need more than animal propulsion and even less change it for such contaminating resource.

- Telecommunications: Telegraph and mail are the only ones used and just when they're too far, this is about friendship and close contact is more important.

- Fireguns: No technology, no war, no weapons! And Pinkie Canyon is just for entertaining purposes.

no technology? All of Twi's sciency-stuff, Vinyl's....everything, all the lightbulbs (yes, lighbulbs are shown) and steam-powered stuff isn't technology?

Firearms? Actually.....In Dashie's pet episode, she sings a line....."I need something real fast, like A BULLET to keep up with me"

Then there's Pinkie's party CANNON

And Dash's pet turtle's name is TANK

so.....yeah.....explain that

no technology? All of Twi's sciency-stuff, Vinyl's....everything, all the lightbulbs (yes, lighbulbs are shown) and steam-powered stuff isn't technology?

Firearms? Actually.....In Dashie's pet episode, she sings a line....."I need something real fast, like A BULLET to keep up with me"

Then there's Pinkie's party CANNON

And Dash's pet turtle's name is TANK

so.....yeah.....explain that

It's the same reason why there's a foal called SILVER SPOON when ponies eat directly from the plate.

It's the same reason why there's a foal called SILVER SPOON when ponies eat directly from the plate.

They don't appear to eat with spoons but they use them for other things.

Here's Pinkie Pie measuring out some vanilla to make cupcakes...

640px-Pinkie_with_spinning_teaspoon_of_v

And this looks like a spoon she's using to stir the mixture...

640px-Pinkie_Pie_stirring_S01E12.png

And what's that being used to serve the punch?

640px-Berryshine_licks_her_lips_S1E12.pn

Mint Drop  Well, when you're right, you're right & you're right.  Going by Rarity's face, though, I'd say there is some doubt about ALL ponies eating eggs.  I'd also guess Vegans are more common in Equestria than on Earth & that there is some version of PETA

You're probably right about there being more vegans, and we do know that ponies in general are at least vegetarian.

But your comment on Rarity's face... I'm assuming you haven't seen the episode, or at least haven't in a long time. The eggs weren't the subject of the scene exactly... Ah... It would be best if I just showed you.

For full context, you could watch from the beginning, but for minimal context, all that's needed is to watch from 3:13 to about 3:30.

Here is the video:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xwprpj_mlp-fim-s2-e5-sisterhooves-social-hd-no-watermarks_shortfilms

Nuclear Weapons; they've got the Elements of Harmony AND the Tree they came from. Not to mention FOUR powerful Princesses.

Fighter Aircraft; The Wonderbolts pretty much have Air Superiority and rule the skies all the time anyway.

• Brohoof 2

Guns and drugs. I think those would never exist unless they began to trade with the human world.

Guns yes!

Drugs No!

Drugs may never be spoken of per say because it is a kids show, but there is plenty of very slight hinty hinty nudge wink about alcohol existing. 

Drugs are taken because they make you feel really really good!

Drugs are also another name for medicine. 

If ponies could cure anything with magic, disability and sickness and injury would not exist because magic would just be an instant cure for everything. Thus we have hospitals and bandages and most likely I.V lines and drugs and other stuff. If those all exist, then drugs do too. 

They are vegetarians, how do we know that some of the green plants they eat isn't pot? Some of them might. 

Also, on the eggs thing.

Baking anyone?

Things that dont exist in the world. "most likely".

1. computers - Even with their magic hooves. Keyboards require FAR too manipulative motions for them to use keyboards and there is no evidence of desktop computers or Internet anywhere.

2. Atomic Bombs

3. Glue......ok, I know its not really made from horses but its still funny.

4. bleached flour - Its made that way from horses and cows bones. 

Here's something that will never show up in FiM.  Spaceships.

Think about it.  There would have to be a lot of technological advances for them to show up.  You'd have to have a kingdom or empire that's at least 1000 years more advanced than what we've seen in Canterlot or Ponyville. 

Then you'd have to figure out how they have spaceships.  Do they just build them?  Or do they have one already that's disguised as a building or castle? 

Actually, the latter's probably even less likely.  You'd have to have something that resembles a spaceship, and it would have to have some kind of laser-based weaponry.  We haven't seen anything like that on the show.

• Helicopters

Helicopters have appeared twice in the series (that I can think of off the top of my head), although they were pony-powered rather than gas engine powered. First one was Pinkie Pies in Griffon the Brush Off, second was in Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3 when Rainbow Dash pushes Twilight Sparkle out of one's path.

• Brohoof 1

Helicopters have appeared twice in the series

Of course. How could I forget?

There would have to be a lot of technological advances for them to show up.  You'd have to have a kingdom or empire that's at least 1000 years more advanced than what we've seen in Canterlot or Ponyville.

1000? Really? Russia launched its first manned space ship in 1961. So you're saying that Canterlot/Ponyville is technically on par with European society of (roughly) the year 961 AD?

Really?

310px-DJ_Pon-3_about_to_start_the_music_

Really?

320px-Main_cast_walking_on_the_streets_o

I'd say that in most regards it resembles late 19th century, early 20th century Western society. In some areas they seem behind that, but in others further forward. This can mostly be explained by unicorns and pegasi. Unicorns have magic, so less incentive to develop, say, electrical items. Pegasi can fly, so they don't need to develop jet engines.

I would say that if they set their goal on space exploration, they ought to be able to develop the technology in well under a century.

Perhaps the leather brought up in fanfics are faux leather? I don't think real leather is too far-fetched considering that the CMC used glue in Hearts And Hooves Day.

• Thimbles
  • Helicopters
  • Mattel toys (e.g. Barbie)
  • Cigarettes
No helicopters you say?

post-24988-0-06638100-1415360220_thumb.jpg

At this point, I'm convinced there's no limit to their technology. They just prefer to live old-fashioned.

• Brohoof 1