How Much Time Did The 1st 3 Seasons Cover?

sweetolebob18

How long were the 1st 3 Seasons?  

37 users have voted

1. 1. How may years did the 1st 3 seasons cover?

• 1 year
    • 2 years
    • 3 years
    • Don't know, Don't care
    • Other

(edited)

In my headcannon; FiM episodes are a mashup of different non-parallel timelines "bouncing" between events that work like "atractor points of convergence", before diverging again with minimal (but different) internal cannon events.

This way the total ammount of days passed "in a single year" of the show could be greater than 365 (it is more important for the non-winter seasons days, since there is little room to accomodate all episodes happening without snow/cold).

Some of the common events that unfolded (almost) the same way in every timeline (from the past to the future):

"Princess Twilight Sparkle: Part 2" (flashbacks) [s4E02]

"Cutie Mark Chronicles" (flashbacks) [s1E23]

"Friendship is Magic" [s1E01]

"Sonic Rainboom" (for relevant episodes involving Rainbow Dash & The Wonderbolts in all timelines [s1E16]

"The Return of Harmony" [s2E01&02]

"Its About Time" [3 different timelines] ; the actual atractor point of convergence is the "Opening of Tartarus" [s2E20]

"The Crystal Empire" (the Canterlot Wedding happened, but the "changeling invasion" is optional) [s3E01&02]

"Magical Mystery Cure" [2 timelines]; (the "Keep Calm and Flutter On" not always ends with Discord´s "conditional freedom") [s3E13]

"Equestria Girls" [two different timelines shown in the movie, one for each side of the mirror (Equestria & C.H.S.)]

"Princess Twilight Sparkle" (Discord is/not stone is irrelevant, relinquish of the Elements is constant)[s4E01&02]

"Trade Ya!" [not an attractor point] Has examples of FiM having more than one single linear continuity.

"Twilight's Kingdom" (the other "key episodes" may involve other ponies, different days or key objects; but Twilight´s missing key must come from a released, betrayed, powerless Discord) [s4E25&26].

"Rainbow Rocks : Prelude Shorts" (some videos from the prequel book timeline, others are just imaginary spots)

"Rainbow Rocks" (both Equestria & C.H.S. in a single timeline, but different from the other two of the first movie).

"Rainbow Rocks: Encore Shorts" (aditional imaginary spots)

"The Cutie Map" (only the coldstart with the creation of the map; the "Cutie Markless Quest" is optional) [s5E01]

(not enough data to consider any other S5 episode as an "unavoidable" event for the main six)

["Slice of Life" is just a single timeline]

Edited by SilverComet
  • Brohoof 1

I think that it was over the course of one year due to the fact that in S4E1 Celestia announced that the summer sun celebration has occured. But in Season 4 we did not see the 1 year celebration of the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

Everytime I see people debating this, I find it amusing that they often forget the strongest evidence it's been longer than 1 year: pinkie pie's birthday. Let me explain. Season 1 episode 25, party of one, and season 2 episode 18, a friend in deed both bring this up. Party of one, pretty self explanatory. Now, in a friend in deed, she clearly says her birthday isn't for another 75 days. You can argue that the episode would have to take place before party of one, but if we're going by that logic, 2 more episodes would have to as well: lesson zero and baby cakes. You can argue that it could still be one year without rearranging, but there is a small problem with that as well. That'd mean the amount of time between the series premiere and party of one, added to the time between a friend in deed and the season 4 premiere is about 75 days. I'd say that makes even LESS sense than the whole thing being 1 year. I'm far from being an expert on the series, but from my analysis, 2 years would make the most sense. Hopefully after reading this, it'll make sense to others too.

The season 4 premiere pretty clearly states that it had been one year from the first episode.

So I have to say the first 3 seasons took place in the span of one year.

• Brohoof 1

16 hours ago, mysticalnight said:

Everytime I see people debating this, I find it amusing that they often forget the strongest evidence it's been longer than 1 year: pinkie pie's birthday. Let me explain. Season 1 episode 25, party of one, and season 2 episode 18, a friend in deed both bring this up. Party of one, pretty self explanatory. Now, in a friend in deed, she clearly says her birthday isn't for another 75 days. You can argue that the episode would have to take place before party of one, but if we're going by that logic, 2 more episodes would have to as well: lesson zero and baby cakes. You can argue that it could still be one year without rearranging, but there is a small problem with that as well. That'd mean the amount of time between the series premiere and party of one, added to the time between a friend in deed and the season 4 premiere is about 75 days. I'd say that makes even LESS sense than the whole thing being 1 year. I'm far from being an expert on the series, but from my analysis, 2 years would make the most sense. Hopefully after reading this, it'll make sense to others too.

Sometimes, the writing on the show doesn't take into account details like that. Basically, they don't care about those sorts of details unless it makes sense to make them a story element, like they did in Princess Twilight Sparkle. It's why seasons are all over the place. A whole missing winter possibly took place this season if you over think it. 

As some former staff liked to say when fans tried to corner them on this, "It's been a year. You guys are creative and will figure it out on your own." 

;)