Do people hate Nyx that much?

Tom Snyder

(edited)

I think that the problem is that she is not very well known. Most fans don't really read fanfictions.

I rather enjoyed it, seeing her suffer through that torture placed on her. It felt more like a trial for her.

Edited by Rosemary

sig-30638.sig-30638.sig-30638.sig-30638.

//// My persona and OC: Candy Star //// Ask me anything: Ask Candy Star //// My Music ////

//// My DA: (OC requests available) ////

I think that the problem is that she is not very well known. Most fans don't really read fanfictions.

Even among non-fanfic readers, Nyx is well known (She is possibly the most famous OC ever made) but since Past Sins has a bit of a bad reputation (I often hear it referred to as "The Twilight of My Little Pony) not many people have read her story and therefore can't call themselves fans (I have to admit I too have not read Past Sins and am not too interested).

• Brohoof 2

I SHIP FLUTTERSHY X BULK BICEPS SO HARD

Also, I really like Cloudchaser's mane!

My main issue is that she is an interesting idea that fell victim to an author's self indulgence. Why would she be placed in such a prominent role over others without an organic narrative need to do so?

You are going to hear me say something I've never said on MLP Forums:

Past Sins and Nyx are a Mona Lisa idea ... but needed more time to develop in the writer's nursery. If there are any authors on here, they will understand why that is a harsh condemnation.

:(

Nyx was not ready yet.

• Brohoof 8

Even among non-fanfic readers, Nyx is well known (She is possibly the most famous OC ever made) but since Past Sins has a bit of a bad reputation (I often hear it referred to as "The Twilight of My Little Pony) not many people have read her story and therefore can't call themselves fans (I have to admit I too have not read Past Sins and am not too interested).

Well, you can't appreciate what you don't know. And I didn't know that Past Sins had this bad reputation.

Hum... I think I should read it again. It's not that bad. I think it kinda goes downhill after

Nyx turns to Nightmare Moon

because it was waaaaaay too rushed.

I rather enjoyed it, seeing her suffer through that torture placed on her. It felt more like a trial for her.

True.

https://www.fimfiction.net/user/32864/Metemponychosis

For dumb, self-important fics about mythology, ponies and fascist griffons that can't figure friendship out.

And I'm just getting started.

My main issue is that she is an interesting idea that fell victim to an author's self indulgence. Why would she be placed in such a prominent role over others without an organic narrative need to do so?

You are going to hear me say something I've never said on MLP Forums:

Past Sins and Nyx are a Mona Lisa idea ... but needed more time to develop in the writer's nursery. If there are any authors on here, they will understand why that is a harsh condemnation.

:(

Nyx was not ready yet.

I get that, but i like her personality the most.

I don't think the character is the problem, mainly the story. But yes, there are some questionable details that were never answered.

//// My persona and OC: Candy Star //// Ask me anything: Ask Candy Star //// My Music ////

I made a fan club for her, but nopony ever shows up.

Yeah, because alicorn OCs are normally so popular! Especially black or red ones!</sarcasm>

Apart from Snowdrop and Fluffle Puff, there aren't really any especially active OC fan clubs. There's not even fan clubs for any Fallout: Equestria characters, despite that being arguably the most important MLP fan fiction work of all.

Also, you only started it yesterday. Give it time.

• Brohoof 4

~VitalSpark~ [fimfiction] [deviantart]

She's underrated? :blink:

I suppose this is because of the fanfic more than the character itself as some parts seemed rushed or skipped which could be considered "bad writing"

another reason would very would likely that she is considered a "Mary Sue" or close to one at least which may put people off of her character

but personally I love Nyx, her personality is great and she could not be any cuter :squee: so though she has one or two flaws I cannot come to hating her!

The deepest of the Everfree!

There's a Nyx Fan Club?!

She's all over Fimfiction sometimes, I've seen loads of people use her. I liked Past Sins, though it did feel a LITTLE melodramatic, but Nyx was a cutesy character before it all went down. More cutesy amusement and it would have been amazing, her school parts were brilliant, just the endgame killed it all. Maybe if she'd shown some of her real colours a bit earlier it might have saved it a bit.

Nyx, as the filly, deserves love! What happened after that however..

Nyx is my favorite frame! 

Funny way to spell Rhino...

Edited by Shardikku
  • Brohoof 1

There's a Nyx Fan Club?!

She's all over Fimfiction sometimes, I've seen loads of people use her. I liked Past Sins, though it did feel a LITTLE melodramatic, but Nyx was a cutesy character before it all went down. More cutesy amusement and it would have been amazing, her school parts were brilliant, just the endgame killed it all. Maybe if she'd shown some of her real colours a bit earlier it might have saved it a bit.

Yeah, i created it that fan club.

There's a Nyx Fan Club?!

Can anyone explain just how bad Nyx was when she became something else other than a Filly?

(edited)

well, i don't think she was a bad pony, but i guess it did get melodramatic near the end.

Can anyone explain just how bad Nyx was when she became something else other than a Filly?

here's one example: 

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon

Of all the enemies Nyx makes, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon (mostly the former) are the worst. In Past Sins, they cruelly ridicule her and send her in the Everfree Forest in revenge for asking questions before recess. Their hostile relationship intensifies after Nyx's Nightmare Moon experience.

She was an innocent victim, but acted completely like NM, turning against Twilight and sending her to the dungeon instead of death. But i don't realy see anything bad she ever did intentionally.

Edited by Rosemary
  • Brohoof 1

*Shudders* Well, if I must:

She became Nightmare Moon after Celestia messed up, and thus, all of her, admittedly shaky, development was thrown out the window and she became generic villain, eventually plagued by thoughts of her time as a good kid#154

That was what I felt one of her main issues was.

Edited by Shardikku
  • Brohoof 1

well, i don't think she was a bad pony, but i guess it did get melodramatic near the end.

here's one example: 

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon

Of all the enemies Nyx makes, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon (mostly the former) are the worst. In Past Sins, they cruelly ridicule her and send her in the Everfree Forest in revenge for asking questions before recess. Their hostile relationship intensifies after Nyx's Nightmare Moon experience.

Why would they send her to a place noted to be dangerous just for asking questions? They're not that cruel to essentially place someone's life in jeopardy.

If anyone can compile a list of reasons for Nyx not being well liked when she turns to Nightmare Moon would be greatly appreciated by me. 

• Brohoof 1

My main experience tends to tell me that she was hated because she's a fanmade OC who became really popular. Before I became a member here I saw on places like FurAffinity & others where the prevailing belief seemed to be that if a fan character became popular it should be hated & all.

Of course that's just ONE side of the dice. I'm sure there are more compelling reasons out there.

• Brohoof 1

0C974976-AEAC-473F-A904-E17FE9F80486.png
Pathfinder I Sojourner I CorsairZu'hra I Autumn | Scarlet Willow | Gypsy | Silverthorn | Crystal Whisper | Radiant Historia | And many other OCs~
Matching signatures with mah Bestie MOONLIGHT <3

Reception

Nyx's reception within the fandom has been mixed, but notably with more nuance and positivity than that of alicorn OCs in general. Fans of Past Sins adore Nyx and find her to be cute and lovable, whereas the story's detractors call her a Mary Sue and criticize the perceived derailing effect she has on Twilight's personality throughout Past Sins.

• Brohoof 1

I for one love the relationship between Twilight and Nyx, who is insanely adorable in her own right. The thing with Nyx though, is that her story could have been fleshed out a little more, especially around the Nightmare Moon bits. I'm not saying it shouldn't have happened how it did, but I personally feel that the events leading up to NMM could use a bit of expansion; the fic could've easily been at least twice as long, maybe more. Anyway, I'm rambling; Nyx is cutest OC in my opinion!

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't call it a derailing effect, since Twilight doesn't seem to change. Her love for Nyx is genuine and not forced, something Shining Armor fails to notice; but i wouldn't Blame him for what he did, being under her control as NMM was a forced on him.

I get that, but i like her personality the most.

I don't think the character is the problem, mainly the story. But yes, there are some questionable details that were never answered.

Nyx has a personality? To me, she seemed like a generic kid cookie-cutter character.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was akin to a slow death. If I must live as I did before then... -Lelouch, Code Geass - My NEW DeviantART: http://SilverStarApple.deviantart.com/Want to make money for being an AWESOME PONY? https://www.tsu.co/Epsilon725

My fanfic, starring Silver Star Apple: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/224996/the-shining-silver-star-of-the-apple-family