Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Monster Hunter Club

Panne

So, I've been on a little journey with the Insect Glaive lately (quite OP on Kushula) and what took me from trying desperately to break the back of the Garuga, led me to looking into the most powerful Kinsect and glaives you can get your hands on. 

That thing is an ultimate pain to upgrade. Not only do you need to use the correct nectars at the correct order, but actually obtaining them is near impossible unless you have over 10,000 caravan points.

However. There is a light to the end of this tunnel. That being the Effect Duration x2 kinsect, which doubles your power surges.

So, Fatalis looks to be the best with a hefty Blast status and decent Raw damage. I'm thinking of upgrading that one for now.

Anywho, I'm still a novice at these, does anyone know how to fill up that bonus bar?

It's got me stumped, and I find myself shooting stuff like crazy and twirling my stick more than a cotton candy vendor! :blink:

Just made gunner armor, and made a bow for each element.

I really want to be good with a bow.

Anyone have any tips for me?

No idea when it comes to the bow, since I primarily use the bowgun, but @FortyTwo42 is pretty experienced with them if I'm not mistaken!

• Brohoof 1

Just made gunner armor, and made a bow for each element.

I really want to be good with a bow.

Anyone have any tips for me?

Welcome to the Bow! I, as a fellow Bow lover, am happy to help you learn it! :grin2:

The biggest thing is to make sure you're aware of is critical distance. Not paying attention to it I think is the biggest reason those new to the Bow feel like it just takes far longer to kill things with the Bow than other weapons. Pay close attention to whether the screen shakes or not when you hit the monster with an arrow. If it shakes, you're at critical distance and your arrows are doing the maximum damage. If it doesn't shake, you're either too close or too far and your arrows are doing far less damage. To understand how important critical distance is, when you're at the right distance, your arrows do 150% damage. If you're too close or too far, it's 100% damage. Get extremely far and it goes down to 80%, then 50%. So ultimately, your arrows are only doing 0.67 times the damage they could be doing if you aren't firing from critical distance, and even less if you're firing from way too far.

I think the Bow isn't exactly a hard weapon to use right, but it's very easy to use wrong. There are a lot of potential pitfalls for new players. When you get good at the Bow, you should be able to get kill times similar to those with any other weapon. If you take longer to kill with the Bow than other weapons, there's probably an issue somewhere. I'm happy to help you more if it comes to that, but for now, here's a quick list of things that could be causing it:

Are you hitting from critical distance?

Are you using 70 power coatings? (50 + 20 more from combining)

Are you charging your shots completely?

Are you using the skill Focus?

Are you actually hitting the monster with most of your shots?

Are you shooting as soon as your arrows are charged?

Do you begin charging again immediately after shooting?

Are you walking around monster attacks instead of evading to keep your charge?

Lastly, I strongly recommend watching this video. It's an extremely good and comprehensive guide on the Bow that covers many more things I missed here.

• Brohoof 2

So, I've been on a little journey with the Insect Glaive lately (quite OP on Kushula) and what took me from trying desperately to break the back of the Garuga, led me to looking into the most powerful Kinsect and glaives you can get your hands on. 

That thing is an ultimate pain to upgrade. Not only do you need to use the correct nectars at the correct order, but actually obtaining them is near impossible unless you have over 10,000 caravan points.

However. There is a light to the end of this tunnel. That being the Effect Duration x2 kinsect, which doubles your power surges.

So, Fatalis looks to be the best with a hefty Blast status and decent Raw damage. I'm thinking of upgrading that one for now.

Anywho, I'm still a novice at these, does anyone know how to fill up that bonus bar?

It's got me stumped, and I find myself shooting stuff like crazy and twirling my stick more than a cotton candy vendor! :blink:

No idea when it comes to the bow, since I primarily use the bowgun, but @FortyTwo42 is pretty experienced with them if I'm not mistaken!

Are you talking about that bar that requires 1 red, 1 orange and 1 white essence?

Are you talking about that bar that requires 1 red, 1 orange and 1 white essence?

Yep. I've been asking around the MH halls (Low/High rank, since I'm kind of noob-ish at it still) Some people have been telling me it's random, but I've got a feeling it's more situational! :wacko:

If so, how do you charge those essences? :huh:

R+X shoots the Kinsect out in a straight line, or towards a spot you've previously marked with the R attack (although it's generally agreed upon that you should learn to just aim with R+X and almost never use the R attack to mark the monster) and R+A recalls the Kinsect and gives you any buffs it collected. The buff you get depends on what part of the monster your Kinsect hit. Typically, the head gives red (attack), the feet gives white (mobility) and the back/tail give orange (defence), although some monsters mix these up. Small monsters like Jaggi instead only give you a single buff no matter where you hit the monster, the colour depending on the monster.

• Brohoof 2

R+X shoots the Kinsect out in a straight line, or towards a spot you've previously marked with the R attack (although it's generally agreed upon that you should learn to just aim with R+X and almost never use the R attack to mark the monster) and R+A recalls the Kinsect and gives you any buffs it collected. The buff you get depends on what part of the monster your Kinsect hit. Typically, the head gives red (attack), the feet gives white (mobility) and the back/tail give orange (defence), although some monsters mix these up. Small monsters like Jaggi instead only give you a single buff no matter where you hit the monster, the colour depending on the monster.

Hm. Yeah, that makes sense. I've noticed the effects of these buffs which are nothing to scoff at. Alright. So it's not random just as I thought. R+A sends the Kinsect back with the essence? Alright. That's good to know. I've just been pressing buttons wildly hoping for the essence somehow, and even trying to hit where I've marked. If that's the case, marking monsters is going to be incredibly simple! Yep. Thanks for the info. With this I'll try out on some more innocent Rathian and see how I go! 

Welcome to the Bow! I, as a fellow Bow lover, am happy to help you learn it! :grin2:

The biggest thing is to make sure you're aware of is critical distance. Not paying attention to it I think is the biggest reason those new to the Bow feel like it just takes far longer to kill things with the Bow than other weapons. Pay close attention to whether the screen shakes or not when you hit the monster with an arrow. If it shakes, you're at critical distance and your arrows are doing the maximum damage. If it doesn't shake, you're either too close or too far and your arrows are doing far less damage. To understand how important critical distance is, when you're at the right distance, your arrows do 150% damage. If you're too close or too far, it's 100% damage. Get extremely far and it goes down to 80%, then 50%. So ultimately, your arrows are only doing 0.67 times the damage they could be doing if you aren't firing from critical distance, and even less if you're firing from way too far.

I think the Bow isn't exactly a hard weapon to use right, but it's very easy to use wrong. There are a lot of potential pitfalls for new players. When you get good at the Bow, you should be able to get kill times similar to those with any other weapon. If you take longer to kill with the Bow than other weapons, there's probably an issue somewhere. I'm happy to help you more if it comes to that, but for now, here's a quick list of things that could be causing it:

Are you hitting from critical distance?

Are you using 70 power coatings? (50 + 20 more from combining)

Are you charging your shots completely?

Are you using the skill Focus?

Are you actually hitting the monster with most of your shots?

Are you shooting as soon as your arrows are charged?

Do you begin charging again immediately after shooting?

Are you walking around monster attacks instead of evading to keep your charge?

Lastly, I strongly recommend watching this video. It's an extremely good and comprehensive guide on the Bow that covers many more things I missed here.

Thank you so much!

My armor skills are;

Attack up L

Weakness exploit

Focus

Divine blessing

Awaken

Sometimes I was able to squeeze in *element* atk +1 on some equipment sets.

I do use power coatings, right now I'm multiplying nitroshrooms and might seeds.

I do always charge them up and shoot exactly once they are finished charging, and then charge again asap, while walking around avoiding the monster to keep charging and shooting, I try not to be too far from them, I will pay attention next match for this 'screen shake'.

Also all my bows are spread shot on 3rd charge, was that a good choice to make? I figured it would probably be the easiest with spreadshot...

Hm. Yeah, that makes sense. I've noticed the effects of these buffs which are nothing to scoff at. Alright. So it's not random just as I thought. R+A sends the Kinsect back with the essence? Alright. That's good to know. I've just been pressing buttons wildly hoping for the essence somehow, and even trying to hit where I've marked. If that's the case, marking monsters is going to be incredibly simple! Yep. Thanks for the info. With this I'll try out on some more innocent Rathian and see how I go! 

On the bar, the far right of the bar (looks like a face of a bug), if that is glowing a color, that means the insect has an essence on him, so just call him back to receive that color.

I don't know if you knew that already though :P

• Brohoof 1

Thank you so much!

My armor skills are;

Attack up L

Weakness exploit

Focus

Divine blessing

Awaken

Sometimes I was able to squeeze in *element* atk +1 on some equipment sets.

I do use power coatings, right now I'm multiplying nitroshrooms and might seeds.

I do always charge them up and shoot exactly once they are finished charging, and then charge again asap, while walking around avoiding the monster to keep charging and shooting, I try not to be too far from them, I will pay attention next match for this 'screen shake'.

Also all my bows are spread shot on 3rd charge, was that a good choice to make? I figured it would probably be the easiest with spreadshot...

Those skills look nice! If you have Weakness exploit, you probably want to make sure you're hitting the head as much as possible, but aiming for the head can be difficult since it's a much smaller target than the rest of the monster. Try aiming for the head if you can, but don't worry if you're having trouble, you're still new to the Bow and aiming accurately and quickly takes a lot of practice.

It sounds like what you're doing will work nicely! Just one quick thing: Check to see whether your Bow has a Power Shot. If it does, then then you can press A immediately after a shot to quickly shoot again! It consumes a bit of stamina and leaves you in place longer, but if you get the opportunity, it's great damage!

A set of skills called Normal Up, Pierce Up and Pellet Up are also huge considerations for the Bow. They increase the damage of Rapid, Pierce and Spread shots respectively (the different names are because they use Bowgun ammo names). I've heard some recommend they should be your second priority after Focus, but they're not almost essential like Focus is. If you can get the skill that matches your shot type, it's a very good skill for increasing damage. Normal Up and Pierce up make your shots do 1.1 times damage and Pellet Up makes your shots do 1.3 times damage. Since all your Bows are Spread Bows and Pellet Up gives the highest attack bonus, I highly recommend Pellet Up if you can get it. But don't worry too much if you can't get it yet; it's pretty difficult since you have to put a lot of effort into getting two skills, one of which that only works for a third of the Bows anyway so you'd need to make three sets of armor at least to cover everything.

Spread, Rapid and Pierce shots are all very balanced in power, and the one you use is more of a personal preference than anything else. Spread is close range and good for inflicting status since it shoots lots of arrows and each arrow adds to the status, Rapid is mid range and good for breaking parts since all the arrows hit the same spot. Pierce is long range and good for just doing lots of damage since the arrow goes through and hits the monster many times. I personally prefer Pierce, but that's just my own preference, you should use whatever shot type you like the most.

Edit: I just realized I messed up the name of one the Bow skills. It's not called Rapid Up, it's called Normal Up. I've hopefully got all the right names for the skills now, but it's really confusing when the skill names are based on Bowgun ammo instead of Bow shot types.

Edited by FortyTwo42
  • Brohoof 1

Yep. I've been asking around the MH halls (Low/High rank, since I'm kind of noob-ish at it still) Some people have been telling me it's random, but I've got a feeling it's more situational! :wacko:

If so, how do you charge those essences? :huh:

Just thought Id hop inwith some IG advice.

Try not to spam the R+X or R+A combos, it can confuse the kinsect.

Before you attempt to do manual aim, try with the pheramones on the R shot to learn what monsters you need to hit where for each buff, be it attack (red) defense (orange) attack speed (white) or health recovery (green).

As for nectars, expiditions, lots of them, they are filled with gathering points from where you can get nectar, and the expiditions themselves can also get you that much needed CP for multiplication or purchases.

I personally like to go with speed nectars for the kinsect upgrades so I can do my best to get the triple-up (or what I like to call, spectrum charge) as many times as I can during the fight, the attack plus attack speed upgrades can be deadly on a knocked over monster, and in desperate need of a mount, it can increase the amount of hits you can get in after a pole vault.

• Brohoof 1

Before you attempt to do manual aim, try with the pheramones on the R shot to learn what monsters you need to hit where for each buff, be it attack (red) defense (orange) attack speed (white) or health recovery (green).

As for nectars, expiditions, lots of them, they are filled with gathering points from where you can get nectar, and the expiditions themselves can also get you that much needed CP for multiplication or purchases.

I personally like to go with speed nectars for the kinsect upgrades so I can do my best to get the triple-up (or what I like to call, spectrum charge) as many times as I can during the fight, the attack plus attack speed upgrades can be deadly on a knocked over monster, and in desperate need of a mount, it can increase the amount of hits you can get in after a pole vault.

Do the pheramones from the R shot glow with the same colour as the buff you get from hitting that spot? I didn't know that!

And about R+X and R+A spamming confusing the Kinsect, is this related to the Kinsect's Stamina? My understanding of Stamina is that it increases the number of times you can send out the Kinsect in a row without it getting tired, which sounds like what you're describing.

I still have barely used an Insect Glaive in the game, I've just researched them a ton for when I finally do start using them. I'm waiting because I want to make all my Glaives in one shot, so if I make a mistake feeding the Kinsect I can just reset and not waste all those resources. So I'll only be using maxed out Insect Glaives, which means I won't be using them until some point into G-rank. And on that note, I believe I've found a good Insect Glaive I can max early on to aim for first: The Najarala one. The only parts it needs beyond G1 is Azure Rathalos parts (just 6 A.Rathalos Shards, not exactly a rare part), which can be gotten in G2; all other parts come from G-rank Najarala or are high rank parts I can get really easily now. In addition, status weapons can be used well against a much larger variety of monsters than element weapons, so I can just use this paralysis Insect Glaive against most monsters until I get better Insect Glaives against specific monsters.

In fact, most of my Najarala weapons can easily be upgraded to G-rank, so I might just want to farm a bunch of G-rank Najarala now.

Ah, Thanks! The advice is much appreciated! I've got a tremendous amount of Caravan points, so it shouldnt be an issue!

And yeah, I noticed the red power allows a double mount strike which I just found incredibly fascinating!

As for the charges, would I begin attacking on the red combo, or should I wait for all 3 colours?

Also, if I connect another colour, does it enhance the duration time?

Do the pheramones from the R shot glow with the same colour as the buff you get from hitting that spot? I didn't know that!

And about R+X and R+A spamming confusing the Kinsect, is this related to the Kinsect's Stamina? My understanding of Stamina is that it increases the number of times you can send out the Kinsect in a row without it getting tired, which sounds like what you're describing.

I still have barely used an Insect Glaive in the game, I've just researched them a ton for when I finally do start using them. I'm waiting because I want to make all my Glaives in one shot, so if I make a mistake feeding the Kinsect I can just reset and not waste all those resources. So I'll only be using maxed out Insect Glaives, which means I won't be using them until some point into G-rank. And on that note, I believe I've found a good Insect Glaive I can max early on to aim for first: The Najarala one. The only parts it needs beyond G1 is Azure Rathalos parts (just 6 A.Rathalos Shards, not exactly a rare part), which can be gotten in G2; all other parts come from G-rank Najarala or are high rank parts I can get really easily now. In addition, status weapons can be used well against a much larger variety of monsters than element weapons, so I can just use this paralysis Insect Glaive against most monsters until I get better Insect Glaives against specific monsters.

In fact, most of my Najarala weapons can easily be upgraded to G-rank, so I might just want to farm a bunch of G-rank Najarala now.

Yeah, the pheramones colors kn the monster lure the kinsect as well as show what boost the kinsect will grab should it hit the proper point.

As for the confusion, based on my experiences and research, overusing the command to try and get the kinsect to grab the proper boost from the monster can cause it to be confused and eventually return to you at a slow pace, I do believe stamina determines how long the kinsect can be away from you, with more stamina equating to how long it can be away from you befor eit has to come back and rest, while speed is speed and power I believe deteining the amount of damage the kinsect inflicts upon grabbing the boost (as that does deal a small amount of damage)

Ah, Thanks! The advice is much appreciated! I've got a tremendous amount of Caravan points, so it shouldnt be an issue!

And yeah, I noticed the red power allows a double mount strike which I just found incredibly fascinating!

As for the charges, would I begin attacking on the red combo, or should I wait for all 3 colours?

Also, if I connect another colour, does it enhance the duration time?

What I usually do, is I try to go for the tripple-up, but if my kinsect is having an issue hitting the proper part of the monster, then I settle with a double-up of whatever I can get. I does all hinge on the white boost however. The individual boosts do a small amount, but chaining them with the white boost gives your hunter the appropriate aura, as well as giving I believe a higher boost to their capabilities.

Adding another boost when already upped, i believe does increase/restore the time you have for the boost.

I forgot to mention upgrading of the kinsect. it has the few initial upgrades, but it does get to the point where it has the branch of obvious choise of power, speed, stamina, or balance, but later on in the path, after that choise, it does also have you choose another branch which appears to be a sub focus, of only a branch of two. for me that is only confirmed for the focus branch, as I always go speed focus as I want the kinsec to get in and out as fast as possible. the balance path leads to a destination unkown to me however, so it is important to keep in mind what you want to do with the kinsect and how the feel of things works for you.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I've been trying to keep the kinsect balanced somewhat to get the upgrade that doubles the duration bonus of that spectrum charge thing. I've aligned my nectars to get the most out of the bug possible, though with an obvious focus in speed! ^_^

If you're looking to get the Extract Extender Kinsect, I've found this video that goes into how to do it in great depth:

The Extract Extender Kinsect is actually a Power and Stamina focused bug, so if you're focusing on Speed, you might be hurting your chances to make it...

Edited by FortyTwo42
  • Brohoof 1

If you're looking to get the Extract Extender Kinsect, I've found this video that goes into how to do it in great depth:

The Extract Extender Kinsect is actually a Power and Stamina focused bug, so if you're focusing on Speed, you might be hurting your chances to make it...

Ah thanks!

So far, I've actually taken the right steps which is very surprising..:blink:

But Yeah, I'm at lvl 9 kinsect and have been putting in the power upgrades due to mere curiosity.

This might be still possible with my Nectar ++ from all those expeditions!!

Aha!

I figured out the critical distance thing with the bow!

I'm practising with low rank monsters, but also farming for low rank materials I need, and I'm killing the monster just as fast, maybe even faster than when I was using my IG, and with spread shot I'm destroying the parts really easily, IG I was having a hard time breaking his wings, he was jumping around too much and then I'd kill him too fast.

I love the bow so far, I'm just scared to play online if I get hit with a G monster I don't want to be that person who carts twice...

• Brohoof 1

Aha!

I'm practising with low rank monsters, but also farming for low rank materials I need, and I'm killing the monster just as fast, maybe even faster than when I was using my IG, and with spread shot I'm destroying the parts really easily, IG I was having a hard time breaking his wings, he was jumping around too much and then I'd kill him too fast.

I love the bow so far, I'm just scared to play online if I get hit with a G monster I don't want to be that person who carts twice...

Yeah, I had the same problem when it was time to beat Gogmazios. Pretty much a 1HKO each hit. And I've learned to switch to Blademaster for some fights.

Luckily, ideally for tough fights, Eating Drinks/Vegetables on "Fry" will give you the Moxie food ability landing you an extra chance at survival!

• Brohoof 1

Aha!

Yeah, I haven't used the Bow in G-rank so far. Mainly because I haven't gotten around to making a G-rank Gunner armor set, but also because it's scary thinking about just how much damage you'll take if you get hit. But then again, you aren't standing right next to the monster, so it should be easier to avoid being hit.

Are you easily breaking parts with spread shots? I'm finding that a bit surprising, since I thought spread shots would be worse since they spread out across the monster and don't focus on a particular point. Then again, maybe this means you're just hitting every part and destroying them all at the same time.

A little trick with spread shot bows: If you want all your arrows to hit the same spot and aren't afraid to get right up to the monster, equip Close Range coatings and fire at the part at point blank. Close Range coatings eliminate the penalty for firing too close to the monster, so you continue to do the full 150% damage, and if you fire at point blank all the arrows will hit the same spot on the monster before they can spread out.

Yeah, I haven't used the Bow in G-rank so far. Mainly because I haven't gotten around to making a G-rank Gunner armor set, but also because it's scary thinking about just how much damage you'll take if you get hit. But then again, you aren't standing right next to the monster, so it should be easier to avoid being hit.

Are you easily breaking parts with spread shots? I'm finding that a bit surprising, since I thought spread shots would be worse since they spread out across the monster and don't focus on a particular point. Then again, maybe this means you're just hitting every part and destroying them all at the same time.

A little trick with spread shot bows: If you want all your arrows to hit the same spot and aren't afraid to get right up to the monster, equip Close Range coatings and fire at the part at point blank. Close Range coatings eliminate the penalty for firing too close to the monster, so you continue to do the full 150% damage, and if you fire at point blank all the arrows will hit the same spot on the monster before they can spread out.

Well like I said it's only low rank I'm doing right now and my bow is G, and with spread shot I'm just hitting everything so everything is breaking.

It probably will be a different story when I fight G monsters.

Also can close range coating cut tails? Is there any way to cut tails with bow?

Well like I said it's only low rank I'm doing right now and my bow is G, and with spread shot I'm just hitting everything so everything is breaking.

It probably will be a different story when I fight G monsters.

Also can close range coating cut tails? Is there any way to cut tails with bow?

The Bow's melee attack (A button) does cutting damage, so it can cut tails. The damage and 'sharpness' of the melee attack is also increased when you equip close range coatings (normally it's considered to have green sharpness to determine whether it bounces, with close range coating it's considered to have white sharpness instead).

That said, the melee attack is weak and pretty much useless, so it's going to be very hard to cut a tail with it. It can be done, but unless you want to do it as a personal challenge, you should probably just switch to a cutting weapon if you want tails, since that will be far easier.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I had the same problem when it was time to beat Gogmazios. Pretty much a 1HKO each hit. And I've learned to switch to Blademaster for some fights.

Luckily, ideally for tough fights, Eating Drinks/Vegetables on "Fry" will give you the Moxie food ability landing you an extra chance at survival!

Moxie is how i survived the brachy grind in 3U. I started as a bowman back in 3U all the way to brachydios, where I promptly began getting my anus served to me on a platter made of gold rathian scales. So I decided it was time to learn blademaster, and this a hunting horn and eventual greatsword user was born.

Anyway, yeah, my buddy and I had to grind brachy for a week because desire sensor and 1% chance for brachy gem. Rassum Frassum. I dont even know how many times me and my crimson quropeco armor got carted during that week.

Though I do have some fond memories of being a bowman. My buddy's noise of confusion and surprise every time a lagiacrus fell asleep out of nowhere (winksleepphialswink) and also the time where my buddy was setting up a trap, was seen by a lagiacrus, who went to shoot a lightning ball at him that I jumped in fron of ao he could finish the trap, only for it to fail and we ended up killing the sandwich dragon.

(Sandwich dragon because I once flubbed his name and called him lagiacrust and crust is on a sandwich)

• Brohoof 2

I'm honestly stuck on a tough choice. I've just hunted a Gore Magala during a 5* caravan quest, but I'm pretty sure I'm not even remotely close to leaping into online. I don't know if I should keep trying to catch up, or just give up and play at my own leisure. 

I'm honestly stuck on a tough choice. I've just hunted a Gore Magala during a 5* caravan quest, but I'm pretty sure I'm not even remotely close to leaping into online. I don't know if I should keep trying to catch up, or just give up and play at my own leisure. 

There's are usually a lot of people that  are low rank online just go at your own pace, I soloed most of the online low rank quests they are very easy.

• Brohoof 1

I don't know if I should keep trying to catch up, or just give up and play at my own leisure.

Play at your own leisure, definitely.

I've seen plenty of people rush into high rank (and even G-rank) still with their low Tetsucabra armour. I'd say you're going to get way more enjoyment playing at your own pace than rushing ahead!

Besides, there are great materials and meal upgrades along the way!

If you're ever having trouble finding people to do your low rank key quests (due to lack of activity in low rank), I'm sure if you shout out, one of us will lend a hand when the time comes! ;)

There's are usually a lot of people that are low rank online.

Really?! Every time i search for a low rathian room, there is absolutely nothing. And I've searched quite a few times! ^_^
  • Brohoof 1