Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Shouldn't there be another dragon running around?

ManaMinori

Looking back on the episode “Cutie Mark Chronicles”, it's shown that Twilight- upon enrolling into Celestia's school for gifted Unicorns (which Celestia had opened to hunt for an apprentice that has the strongest magic, and who she could guide to become a princess) had a test that involved her having to hatch a dragon egg, as a requirement. The admissions ponies were there, taking note of which spells the young unicorns used, as methods to open the egg. Twilight, herself, was unable to hatch the egg until after RD's sonic rainboom triggered her magical reaction and all these different spells were activated at once, from filly Twilight, which showed just how powerful she was, without proper training.

However, what about Sunset Shimmer? It had been shown that Sunny was Celestia's apprentice before Twilight, and before the sonic rainboom had occurred. So wouldn't that mean that Sunny had to have been given the same dragon egg test, and hatched it, to have become Celestia's apprentice? If so, then shouldn't there be another- older dragon than Spike running around, who was supposed to have been Sunny's dragon partner, to act as her conscience- as Spike initially served for Twilight? (Since spike is a purple dragon for a purple pony, I can see sunset Shimmer likely having Whimsey, after she hatched the egg, as she's an orange/ yellow dragon; if she were to appear in G4) http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Whimsey_Weatherbe

180px-Whimsey_Weatherbe.png

How did Celestia acquire the dragon egg, to begin with?

Who's to say that Sunset Shimmer had the same test as Twilight?

why wouldn't she, though, if the test with the egg was to find the range/ use of magic to groom to become the bearer of the most important EoH, and Sunny's on equal footing, magically, with Twilight, so she had to have also hatched an egg, as it was shown that dragon eggs are difficult/ near impossible to open with magic....

Word of God is that the Dragon Egg was supposed to be an impossible test and that the real test is how well the student responds to their apparent failure. Which is why when Filly Twilight sadly said, "I'm sorry to have wasted your time", then and only then did the examiners took notes and wrote down the results. Twilight hatching Spike's egg was either a sign that she's very powerful and that Baby Spike was meant to be looked after by Twilight! Most likely both!

As for Sunset Shimmer, her test was revealed in the 2013 MLP Annual Comic feat. The Equestria Girls. It showed Sunset's backstory. Her test was making a potted plant grow. She made it grow so huge so fast, the onlookers were impressed. And so, Celestia took Sunset on as her student, but soon saw that Sunset was too impatient and ambitious that eventually Sunset bitterly ran away into the portal mirror and ended up in the world of Canterlot High.

So anyway, the entrance exam test must have been different for each applicant! Twilight has gotten the "responding to failure" egg test, Sunset has gotten the growing plant test, and every other unicorn, who knows?

Edited by WiiGuy2014
  • Brohoof 4

why wouldn't she, though, if the test with the egg was to find the range/ use of magic to groom to become the bearer of the most important EoH, and Sunny's on equal footing, magically, with Twilight, so she had to have also hatched an egg, as it was shown that dragon eggs are difficult/ near impossible to open with magic....

It's equally possible that SS had a different test, whatever that might be. Since her test has never been mentioned, we can't say for sure what it may or may not have been.

There's also the fact that given we have heard nothing of SS outside of the EQ movies, and I imagine that when SS stopped being Celestia's pupil she would have removed any ties that would hold back her plan, so there's no reason her dragon would appear, assuming she had the same test and assuming she succeeded.

Given Twilight needed the Sonic Rainboom to succeed, it's possible that if SS had the same test that she would not have passed, and that other factors were involved.

Word of God is that the Dragon Egg was supposed to be an impossible test and that the real test is how well the student responds to their apparent failure. Which is why when Filly Twilight sadly said, "I'm sorry to have wasted your time", then and only then did the examiners took notes and wrote down the results. Twilight hatching Spike's egg was either a sign that she's very powerful and that Baby Spike was meant to be looked after by Twilight! Most likely both!

As for Sunset Shimmer, her test was revealed in the 2013 MLP Annual Comic feat. The Equestria Girls. It showed Sunset's backstory. Her test was making a potted plant grow. She made it grow so huge so fast, the onlookers were impressed. And so, Celestia took Sunset on as her student, but soon saw that Sunset was too impatient and ambitious that eventually Sunset bitterly ran away into the portal mirror and ended up in the world of Canterlot High.

So anyway, the entrance exam test must have been different for each applicant! Twilight has gotten the "responding to failure" egg test, Sunset has gotten the growing plant test, and every other unicorn, who knows?

Having not seen that, I wouldn't have known about SS's test, but it does make perfect sense.

Who knows how long Celestia has had the egg for?

Who knows how long Celestia has had the egg for?

You know what? Spike said in the very first episode that he "started out as a purple and green egg" and yet viewers complained that when his egg was brought out for Twilight's entrance exam, it was completely purple with no green to be seen. Well,  we don't how long Spike's egg has been around. Maybe it started out as a green and purple egg and as time passed, it changed to pure purple.

Actually I like the take they had in a recent fic where Twilight was taking the test and she had perfects all the way across and the proctors ran out of things to give her so they did THAT.

• Brohoof 1

You know what? Spike said in the very first episode that he "started out as a purple and green egg" and yet viewers complained that when his egg was brought out for Twilight's entrance exam, it was completely purple with no green to be seen. Well,  we don't how long Spike's egg has been around. Maybe it started out as a green and purple egg and as time passed, it changed to pure purple.

that's another good topic for questioning, actually. Why is that information relevant to Spike? If he started out as a purple and green egg, then how was it completely purple, when Twi received it? Where'd he get the purple and green egg info from, if his egg was purple? Were somepony/ dragons' memories altered? If so, then why?

that's another good topic for questioning, actually. Why is that information relevant to Spike? If he started out as a purple and green egg, then how was it completely purple, when Twi received it? Where'd he get the purple and green egg info from, if his egg was purple? Were somepony/ dragons' memories altered? If so, then why?

Maybe when Celestia got it, it was green and purple and then by the time Twilight's exam happened, it had completely turned purple. Simple as that!

Looks like Will finished the thread title.

I'm going to guess the egg color was just writing inconsistencies, like how the artists are obviously lazy to draw Guards different from each other. I'd say it's a writer's issue.

Edited by bronislav84
  • Brohoof 1

Holy Crap, the Dragon Egg test is the Kobayashi Maru from Star Trek.  I had no idea.  

• Brohoof 2

It looks like Spike is the only dragon in Ponyville/Canterlot. I guess Twilight's exam was unique, and other unicorns had other kind of exams.

Or that's a big continuity error...

Edited by Blobulle

It makes sense that the tests were not standardized and they would have come up with unique ones over time. So no, there are probably no other dragons just walking around. The idea of a dragon living among ponies is simply an oddity in their world.

It makes sense that the tests were not standardized and they would have come up with unique ones over time. So no, there are probably no other dragons just walking around. The idea of a dragon living among ponies is simply an oddity in their world.

I change my opinion to this.

That's an interesting theory. I never thought about it that way, and always figured Twilight was supposed to be able to hatch the egg, but now that you mention it, it may very well be true that she wasn't supposed to be able to hatch it. It would make sense, because if every applicant who passed the entrance exam got a pet dragon, Canterlot would be overrun by them.

TBH, though, if that was the entrance exam to the ACADEMY, wouldn't there be a bunch of dragons running around because they were all hatched? (Since there's no evidence to suggest that Celestia only did that test with Twilight in order to see if she should be her personal pupil.)

So honestly, they probably picked different tests, because there'd be a ton of dragons if the majority passed.

Edited by Sage
  • Brohoof 1

It's also entirely possible that after Sunset Shimmer was banished, the egg test replaced the plant test. They might have thought it would be smart to test the emotional side as well as the magical side after she left; it would be best to know your prized pupil can't handle failure before she becomes your right hand. They seemed to have missed Twilight, though.

I find it odd that Spike is the only dragon with green fire breath, not a single other dragon in the dragon migration episode is shown to have this and in the episode where Spike greed grows out of control he becomes the biggest dragon ever seen in the show, he even drawfs the red dragon Flutters stared into submission.

It wouldn't surprise me if Spike turns out to be the son of the biggest dragons ever. Probably be even funnier if said dragon is huge, apocalyptic and evil. XD

I find it odd that Spike is the only dragon with green fire breath, not a single other dragon in the dragon migration episode is shown to have this and in the episode where Spike greed grows out of control he becomes the biggest dragon ever seen in the show, he even drawfs the red dragon Flutters stared into submission.

It wouldn't surprise me if Spike turns out to be the son of the biggest dragons ever. Probably be even funnier if said dragon is huge, apocalyptic and evil. XD

what I find even more interesting than that is how Spike seems to be the only dragon in the entire show without wings

• 2 weeks later...

Looking back on the episode “Cutie Mark Chronicles”, it's shown that Twilight- upon enrolling into Celestia's school for gifted Unicorns (which Celestia had opened to hunt for an apprentice that has the strongest magic, and who she could guide to become a princess) had a test that involved her having to hatch a dragon egg, as a requirement. The admissions ponies were there, taking note of which spells the young unicorns used, as methods to open the egg. Twilight, herself, was unable to hatch the egg until after RD's sonic rainboom triggered her magical reaction and all these different spells were activated at once, from filly Twilight, which showed just how powerful she was, without proper training.

However, what about Sunset Shimmer? It had been shown that Sunny was Celestia's apprentice before Twilight, and before the sonic rainboom had occurred. So wouldn't that mean that Sunny had to have been given the same dragon egg test, and hatched it, to have become Celestia's apprentice? If so, then shouldn't there be another- older dragon than Spike running around, who was supposed to have been Sunny's dragon partner, to act as her conscience- as Spike initially served for Twilight? (Since spike is a purple dragon for a purple pony, I can see sunset Shimmer likely having Whimsey, after she hatched the egg, as she's an orange/ yellow dragon; if she were to appear in G4) http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Whimsey_Weatherbe

img-3391252-1-180px-Whimsey_Weatherbe.pn

How did Celestia acquire the dragon egg, to begin with?

i'd sure like to see another baby dragon :D

I've actually heard an interesting headcanon about this. The entrance exam was one of Celestia's signature hidden tests of character. Like the Kobayashi Maru test, no one is supposed to actually succeed at hatching the egg, but the point is to see what the potential student tries, and how they respond when it doesn't work. Those who resort to trying to break it open, or give up too easily, fail the test and are turned away. Those who think of clever ideas and show persistence are allowed in. Twilight of course blew everyone away by actually hatching the egg, among other things.

• Brohoof 1

I'm going to do something inconceivable and reference the comic books, namely the Equestria Girls Holiday Special, where Sunset says the following line:

"Back home, the closest thing we had to cell phones was magic burping dragons!"

Whether or not one can put the comic books in the same row as the show is a separate question (to which I answer negatively, personally).

Edited by Zejgar

• 5 years later...

This thread is very old, but I'll still say what I think.
The Magic School for Gifted Unicorns is very exclusive, suppose they accept 10 to 20 students every year, but there are dozens of unicorns trying to enter every yearm, and only half pass the entrance exam, what happens here is that nothing it tells us if the dragon egg exam was the only entrance exam, so the other unicorns would have had to do other different exams but they require the same skill as the dragon egg exam, and few others would have had that exam Twilight included, now suppose 4 foals have that test, two fail, two pass, they have no obligation to stay and take care of this dragon, and it would be easily returned to Dragonlands, but Twilight, agreeing to be a personal student of Celestia, was forced to keep this dragon and take care of him with her family.

In short, not everyone gets the same test, not everyone passes, and not everyone who passes this test is required to keep this dragon. If Rainbow hadn't done the Sonic Rainboom, Twilight would have failed the exam because she simply didn't have the ability to hatch the egg on her own, and she probably would have waited until the next year and tried again.

Regarding Sunset, what is shown in the comic is not her entrance exam, it's only a semester exam to see how much she has improved, and she probably had an entrance exam that she eventually passed and that caught the attention of Princess Celestia, But I don't rule out that that test was hatching a dragon egg, and that Sunset simply did not want to stay with the dragon and was returned to the Dragon Lands, and that would be another reason why Celestia ordered Twilight to stay with Spike.

[Excuse me if there is a misspelling, the Google translator is not always the best translator :ButtercupLaugh:]