Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

web Why do the most popular YouTube channels suck so much?

Alex Z

A lot of popular Youtubers like Pewdiepie, Markiplier or Jacksepticeye, focus way to much on over reacting and stupid meme based jokes.

Many Videos feel fake or just incredible stupid.

That might be the point, because its supposed to be ironicly stupid, but i still dislike most popular Youtubers now.

Which is sad, since i was a big Markiplier and Jacksepticeye fan, but...i lost interest a bit.

Im still watching Markiplier and Jacksepticeye a little though.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...

This might sound very narcissistic of me to say, but I feel the main reason is because the general masses is made up of people that aren't very smart. People who are easily entertained by some of the most asinine drivel. The biggest let's players out there, for example, are a perfect showing of that. They make millions of dollars and have an army of rabid fans, all because they act like morons while playing video games. The days for true appreciation of good media by the general public are numbered.  

(edited)
On 1/11/2015 at 6:31 PM, Darkness Nightmare said:

Hahaha, I love DashieXP he's awesome

On 1/11/2015 at 6:32 PM, OG Blaze said:

Yeah I really enjoy DashieGames

Dashie's the one who introduced me to this song:

P.S.: I'm also a fan of Chuggaaconroy.

Edited by A.V.

Because your average YouTube viewer is vapid and shallow, devoid of culture, and would rather watch the same kinds of content over and over again rather than try to seek out new and more engaging content. Or maybe I'm being cynical, honestly @ this point in my life either, neither, or both could be true.

• Brohoof 3

One of the main reasons is that they often go for quantity over quality often. This is because more content results in more ad revenue. There are many channels that upload things that are not very interesting, but people watch them since if's from a popular channel. This can be annoying since these videos get more attention that videos from unpopular users who put in much more effort.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Because they focus more on maintaining their views no matter what instead of making actual quality content

Edited by Rawzy

I dont particularly hate any "channel" but its always the LP'er or host that will rub me the wrong way that will make me avoid their channel. A simple example would be Game Grumps. During the first few years we know it was Arin and Jon. Thats how I watched it and thats how I liked it. I felt their personalities meshed really well since they were obviously already long time friends. When Jon left and Dan came on I couldnt watch it. At the time Dan felt so...out of place for me and I wasnt digging his straight man persona to Arin's outbursts after seeing how Jon played off of Arin and vice versa basically taking jokes father and farther.

So for about a year and a half I just stopped watching Game Grumps and sorta moved on to discovering other LP'er. Over time I did start watching again and got in the mindset to start enjoying Dan playing innocent to Arin's shenanigans. It was just a thing I wasnt enjoying at the time but there are other LP'ers I never got used to. Basically the same thing happened when I first started watching Steam Train and couldnt stand Ross screwing everything up. It was funny at first but then the more it happened the less I liked it and basically almost never watched another episode again.

For other channels if I dont like the content even if others do thats fine. I cant expect to like everything popular, i mean look at Justin Beiber :orly: If I dont like the content or LP'er I just dont click the channel but there are rarely any channels I "hate" or think "suck". There's often alot of talent going on in front and behind the camera and I can recognize it. I just cant get into it.

• 3 years later...

I think it's mostly because they try to appeal to as many people as possible and they also abuse the algorithm by posting dumb pointless videos. Literally saw a 1 second video of a cat meowing with over a million views. :dry:

• Brohoof 1

On 2017-05-21 at 9:20 PM, SONICchaos said:

I dont particularly hate any "channel" but its always the LP'er or host that will rub me the wrong way that will make me avoid their channel. A simple example would be Game Grumps. During the first few years we know it was Arin and Jon. Thats how I watched it and thats how I liked it. I felt their personalities meshed really well since they were obviously already long time friends. When Jon left and Dan came on I couldnt watch it. At the time Dan felt so...out of place for me and I wasnt digging his straight man persona to Arin's outbursts after seeing how Jon played off of Arin and vice versa basically taking jokes father and farther.

So for about a year and a half I just stopped watching Game Grumps and sorta moved on to discovering other LP'er. Over time I did start watching again and got in the mindset to start enjoying Dan playing innocent to Arin's shenanigans. It was just a thing I wasnt enjoying at the time but there are other LP'ers I never got used to. Basically the same thing happened when I first started watching Steam Train and couldnt stand Ross screwing everything up. It was funny at first but then the more it happened the less I liked it and basically almost never watched another episode again.

For other channels if I dont like the content even if others do thats fine. I cant expect to like everything popular, i mean look at Justin Beiber :orly: If I dont like the content or LP'er I just dont click the channel but there are rarely any channels I "hate" or think "suck". There's often alot of talent going on in front and behind the camera and I can recognize it. I just cant get into it.

Same. But on the Game Grumps, those guys are hilarious. I've read so much about them, but never got around to watching them until I saw their run of Super Mario Maker. The first one I saw with Arin and Jon was their Goldeneye playthrough, which got funny when Jon (or was it Arin?) started losing it, but their run of Super Mario Maker with Dan was what made me start watching them more. 

I like a few popular YouTubers, Markiplier being one thanks to his Try Not To Laugh series, DashieGames for his freakouts, and FaZe Jev because he reminds me of Jim Carrey's Liar Liar. But other than that, I don't watch a lot of popular channels, just people trolling kids on Fortnite, music, and cooking videos.

Edited by Sasoriman