Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Any Pro-Wrestling Fans Around?

Denim&Venöm

Summerslam 90

The first Summerslam not in the New York Area, but not too far away. It's at the old Philadelphia Spectrum, Still within the old WWWF Territory. This time Vince is doing the commentary, for some reason Gorilla Monsoon only did the first 2 MSG Summerslams, but we'll get to that next time. The Rockers/Power & Glory was basically a handicap match due to Shawn Michaels' injury. This would have been a better match if Shawn wasn't hurt.The Mr. Perfect/Texas Tornado Intercontinental Championship was decent, although it was supposed to have been Brutus Beefcake. Kerry Von Erich had a lot under his resume by this point, so why not an IC championship as well. Warlord/Tito was essentially a squash match. It should have been Rick Martel vs Tito Santana. I read somewhere that Martel was hurt during that time. Had he been healthy, this would have probably been one of the better matches on the card with Martel going over. Best match of the night was clearly the Hart Foundation/Demolition 2 out of 3 falls match. Third time was the charm for the Hart Foundation to regain the WWF Tag Team Titles. The Jake/Bad News match was pretty bad. I'm not fond of DQ finishes on PPV unless absolutely necessary. After seeing the Brother Love show segment, I can say that Vince shouldn't have made Sgt. Slaughter heel. Slaughter also talked about declaring war on Nikolai Volkoff. That would have made more sense a few years prior. Speaking of Volkoff, his and Hacksaw Jim Duggan's singing of God Bless America should remind Hacksaw not to take up a singing career. The match against the Orient Express was not much better. Plus it's a little odd seeing Volkoff as a babyface. The Dusty Rhodes/Macho King match was just a humiliation squash but it served it's purpose of the transition between the Dusty/Macho feud to a Dusty/DiBiase feud, while Macho moves on to challenge the Warrior. TBH, I think that Dusty Rhodes' best days were already behind him at this point in his career. The 1st half of the Double Main Event. Earthquake was your typical giant Hogan opponent, though I am a bit of a fan of his from his association with the Wrestlecrap site which I used to follow. The match itself was decent from what you'd expect. I read somewhere that the reason for the countout was to continue the Hogan/Earthquake feud. Good reason enough. Though towards the end. Hogan bodyslammed Earthquake on a table. Unfortunately the table didn't break. It would have been ahead of it's time though if it did. For the 2nd have of the Double Main Event. First off, Have you noticed that when Rude cut his perm, he also changed his persona somewhat, he developed a more serious, hard lined, mean streak in his persona. This would be the first of many cage matches held at Summerslam. The match itself was solid, yet short.

I'd have to say this was perhaps the worst Summerslam. Yet even it has it's high moments. Somehow I feel it could have been better if done differently. Could it have been done better at this time?

What are your thoughts on this Summerslam?

Tomorrow, I discuss Summerslam 91.

• Brohoof 1

I've gotta get something off of my chest.

I think Finn Balor, Shinsuke Nakamura, Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn are some of the most overrated wrestlers ever.

IMO, no charisma, boring and make me sleepy.

Sorry (not really) but I've gotta get it out there, some have been saying stuff about wrestlers from my era, so I'm sort of retaliating.

Edited by TheRockARooster

Just now, TheRockARooster said:

I think Finn Balor, Shinsuke Nakamura, Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn are some of the most overrated wrestlers ever.

I agree with you on Finn Balor & Sami Zayn but, I think Kevin Owens can be entertaining, sometimes.

Summerslam 91

Summerslam returns to Madison Square Garden. This is the second of only two times that Gorilla Monsoon has called Summerslam, Both at MSG. Not sure why, but that's just how it is sometimes. The 6 man opener was fun. Steamboat, Kerry, and Bulldog were legends and great workers. The Bret/Perfect Intercontinental Championship was a classic. What else can I say. The Disasters/Bushwhackers was what you'd expect, basically a Natural Disasters squash. The segment with Bobby Heenan backstage was pretty funny, but what really stood out for me was that he was carrying the WCW World Heavyweight Championship Belt (The Big Gold Belt) When I rented this back in 1998, I was shocked. The DiBiase/Virgil match, first off the DiBiase/Sherri alliance makes sense, she was depicted as a gold digger. Yet at the same time why not have DiBiase go solo without a corner person? just to experiment. The match itself was good. Piper's commentary really wanted us to see Virgil win it all. To be honest, one wonders how Virgil's career would have panned out had he not been jobbed out a few months later. Suppose they just let Virgil keep the Million Dollar Belt until Money Inc. wins the Tag Titles. Nevertheless this was Virgil's shining moment. The Big Boss Man/Mountie was a solid match, but the antics in the NYC jail were pretty funny. I wonder if the Mountie's mugshot was published in the WWF Magazine. The LOD/Nastys match was a fun brawl though quite modest compared to other No DQ matches in the future, plus the LOD's historic winning of the WWF Tag Belts along with those of the NWA and AWA. The IRS/Greg Valentine match, although was filler, was actually decent. The Match Made in Hell was pretty boring. This would be Warrior's last match in his first run, but he'll return in time for the next Summerslam, Although I agree that the Triangle of Terror and the Slaughter Iraqi sympathizer gimmick was already stale by this point. Would replacing them with Jake Roberts and the Undertaker taking on Hogan and Warrior (which was suggested by other commenters) have meant not having any impact on next storyline which I'll talk about in a bit. The Macho/Elizabeth wedding was beautiful. Although what could have been nice was having various WWF babyfaces in tuxedos as groomsmen. The The Summerslam Anthology DVD didn't have the Reception but Coliseum Video did. It went with the usual sort of routine, toast, dance, cake, bouquet, the presents was the major highlight with the cobra attacking and Taker and Jake crashing. This may have made Jake perhaps the new most hated heel in the WWF. 

Overall Summerslam 91 was fun. I enjoyed it a lot.

What did you think of it?

Tomorrow, I review another favorite, Summerslam 92.

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, TheRockARooster said:

I hear Asuka's streak is coming to an end, THANK FREAKING GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so sick and tired of hearing about Asuka.

Odds are that if her streak is ending, that means she's gonna get called up to either Raw or Smackdown.

• Brohoof 1

Summerslam 92

I've been looking forward to reviewing this one. This Summerslam is the first and only time any major PPV was held overseas for it was held at the Old Wembley Stadium in London in front of over 80,000 fans. The WWF although losing it's popularity in the US was still relatively hot in the UK and Europe. What's also noteworthy is that it's the only Summerslam held outdoors. I think they should hold Summerslams outside more often to coincide with the summer feeling. It starts off with some royal trumpeters, which I thought was a nice little segment. First off let me say that the Bushwhackers/Duggan VS Nastys/Mountie, Papa Shango/El Matador and Berzerker/Tatanka matches were only broadcast to the UK audience and were dark matches to the US. But essentially they were just filler matches and served their purpose.  The LOD/Money Inc. opener, First let me just get it out of the way that the whole Rocco dummy thing was dumb. That being said I think it was cool to see the Legion of Doom team up with Paul Ellering again from their old AWA, NWA, and New Japan runs. I also really enjoyed the motorcycle entrance. Pretty badass. The match itself was a decent opener. Nailz/Virgil rather not discuss. The Rick Martel/Shawn Michaels match was rather interesting. The match itself was solid. The fact that it was heel VS heel made it more fun. Michaels and Martel fighting over Sherri makes me wonder if instead of fighting over her maybe they could be allies both managed by Sherri. Somehow I can imagine Sherri managing "The Model" Rick Martel. Plus the double countout made sense. If either had won, this would have resulted in a possible heel-face turn for one of them. I guess Vince didn't want either to loose their heel heat, though the Model dumping water on the "unconscious" Sherri got a babyface pop of some kind I thought. The Natural Disasters/Beverly Brothers Tag Title Match was surprisingly decent. Proving that larger wrestlers can be good workers. The Crush/Repo Man was essentially the battle of the former Demoliton members. Crush pretty much dominated the majority of the match, and although it was meant to be filler, it wasn't too bad, it served it's purpose. The World Wrestling Federation Championship match between Macho Man Randy Savage and Ultimate Warrior was exciting though admittedly not as good as their Wrestlemania VII encounter. But the storyline behind it was better. The whole "Who's Corner will Mr. Perfect be in?" storyline was very intriguing. Personally I think it would have made more sense to have the Warrior sell out to Mr. Perfect and Ric Flair, thus turning him heel. That actually was the plan. But Warrior decided against it for some reason. Though I think heel Warrior would have been something fresh and interesting. There are also some other alternatives they could have done such as a Macho/Flair Steel Cage match for the title. For Undertaker's first ever Summerslam Match against Kamala. He makes a FANTASTIC entrance riding to the ring on a hearse. The first of several noteworthy entrances throughout his career. The match itself wasn't that good though. The segment with Roddy Piper and the Balmoral Highlanders playing "Scotland the Brave" on the bagpipes was a fun little moment. Now! The Main Event! Perhaps my all time favorite Summerslam match ever! The Intercontinental Championship between Bret "Hit Man" Hart and The British Bulldog, Davey Boy Smith. Bulldog's entrance received a HUGE pop. He was led down the isle by British boxer Lennox Lewis. One wonders if he'll be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame Celebrity Wing one day. The match itself. One word. "Masterpiece!" The crowd was hot throughout and the workrate was just classic. The ending with Davey Boy getting the victory and the Intercontinental Championship, the British crowd just exploded with perhaps the loudest pop in professional wrestling. The ending with Bret, Bulldog and Diana celebrating in the ring is just as wonderful. and to cap it all off fireworks and pyro going off in celebration. I think it was one of the few times before 1994 or 95 or whenever that they used pyrotechnics in the WWF.

This is one of my absolute favorite Summerslams ever! Perhaps the greatest Summerslam up to this point! I LOVED IT! :D

What are your thoughts on Summerslam 92?

Tomorrow, Summerslam 93

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, BrawnyCharger said:

For Undertaker's first ever Summerslam Match against Kamala. He makes a FANTASTIC entrance riding to the ring on a hearse. The first of several noteworthy entrances throughout his career. The match itself wasn't that good though.

And they botched the ending...

You don't pin anyone in a Casket match, guys!

• Brohoof 1

On 8/3/2017 at 10:32 PM, Unicorncob said:

Kevin Owens and The Miz are two of the most charismatic heels right now, at least in WWE anyway

Kevin Owens is always entertaining when he loses. The Miz is probably my favorite heel though. I love MizTV.

I'm honestly really excited for this year's Summerslam, even if Cena isnt going for the title as I'd hoped.

• Brohoof 1

Summerslam 93

A.V. Here's what you've been waiting for. For the first Summerslam of the "New Generation Era". Summerslam returns to America, and to celebrate, they go all out with the patriotic theme in this one. Stars and Stripes set and red, white and blue all around. It takes place at the Palace of Auburn Hills in Suburban Detroit. First Summerslam in the Midwest, and one of two arenas that hosted Summerslam that for some reason the WWE had stopped using. Why not use both the Joe Louis Arena for Downtown Detroit fans and the Palace for those who live in the Suburban outskirts of Detroit. For the Razor/DiBiase opener it should be noted that this is perhaps the only match that I know of that DiBiase, goes in without anyone in his corner. First he had bodyguard Virgil, then Sensational Sherri, then Jimmy Hart when teaming with IRS. Now he's going in solo. The match was a solid opener, with Razor Ramon getting the win. It was very "changing of the guard" like. Phasing out the Hulkamania era star in DiBiase and establishing Razor as one of the new stars of the New Generation era. The Steiners/Heavenly Bodies Tag Title match was a good match. Fantastic hometown victory. perhaps the Steiners' best WWF match. Plus doesn't it also seem hard to believe that Scott Steiner here would eventually turn into the crazed Big Poppa Pump. I also liked the WWF debut of Jim Cornette. Then the show takes a dip from here. The Intercontinental Championship match was more than a disappointment. I thought it was a result of Shawn Michaels' backstage politics (or do you think it was a little early for that). If it were up to me, I would have had it be a clean cut pinfall Perfect getting a 3rd IC championship, even if it would have been a relatively short reign. If I was in Vince's shoes, I wouldn't have put up with any of HBK's crap. The 123 Kid/IRS match should have had the 123 Kid going over instead for the sake of keeping his momentum going. The Bret/Doink and Bret/Lawler matches although good still should not be taking place here at Summerslam. I'll explain why in a bit. The Ludvig Borga/Marty Jannetty was mostly a Borga squash. Personally I think Borga complaining about pollution in this country should have made him a face. Next. Oh Celestia please help me. The Rest in Peace match. All Giant Gonzalez is capable of doing is striking, clothesline, body slam, chokeslam. Admittedly this is only by a small percentage better than the Wrestlemania 9 match, but still. The six man tag with Tatanka/Gunns VS Bam Bam Bigelow/Headshrinkers was shockingly the best match of the night. And now unfortunately, The Main Event. Do I even need to explain how much of overkill and a choke and a disappointment it was. Lex Luger VS Yokozuna SHOULD HAVE BEEN Hulk Hogan VS Bret Hart for the WWF Championship. 

Although a lot of the wrestling was solid. Overall I feel that Summerslam 1993 needs to be re-done in fantasy booking. of course with the aforementioned Hogan/Bret match in place of the Luger/Yoko. As far as what to do with Luger, Yoko, Lawler, Doink, etc. I'm not quite sure right now as It may require an overhaul of the card and the booking leading up to the card. Anypony have any ideas?

What did you think of Summerslam 93

Tomorrow, I'll do Summerslam 94.

Edited by BrawnyCharger
  • Brohoof 1

22 minutes ago, BrawnyCharger said:

The Rest in Peace match. All Giant Gonzalez is capable of doing is striking, clothesline, body slam, chokeslam. Admittedly this is only by a small percentage better than the Wrestlemania 9 match, but still.

To quote one wrestling-reviewer -- well, I forgot exactly how he said it, but...

"TFW the managers fighting at ringside > the actual wrestling in the ring."

22 minutes ago, BrawnyCharger said:

And now unfortunately, The Main Event. Do I even need to explain how much of overkill and a choke and a disappointment it was. Lex Luger VS Yokozuna SHOULD HAVE BEEN Hulk Hogan VS Bret Hart for the WWF Championship.

1. Yeah, crowd, boo the neutral singer who's just paying respect to his homeland and isn't actually affiliated with Yoko.

2. Aaron Neville + The Star-Spangled Banner = win.

3. Um, why are you all celebrating? Yoko lost, yeah, but he's still Champion; if anything, he's the real winner.

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

Summerslam 94

This Summerslam continues in the Midwest in it's largest city. at the brand new United Center in Chicago. I find it rather odd that the WWF opened the United Center yet they hardly EVER used it afterwards. Instead they chose to go back to the smaller Rosemont Horizon/Allstate Arena. Maybe they could use both. the UC for the bigger events like PPVs and the Allstate Arena for the Raws/Smackdowns etc. I imagine if CM Punk were to headline a PPV here it would have sold out easily. Does the WWE have any official reasons? Anyway, it starts with Macho Man in his final WWF appearance. I had wished that he and Vince had patched things up so he could have made at least one cameo return during his lifetime. First off what let me talk about what bugs me. The Headshrinkers VS Bigelow/IRS SHOULD HAVE BEEN for the Tag Titles. But I believe that this is another example of the Kliq using their backstage power, just so Diesel and Shawn Michaels could have more gold when they wanted it. If I were in charge I would have shut Michaels and Nash up and go with the book, OR ELSE! The match itself was a solid opener. The Alundra Blayze/Bull Nakano Women's title match was a good match. The Razor/Diesel match for the Intercontinental Championship was a fun match as well. I think 1994 was perhaps Razor Ramon's best year. Diesel wasn't too shabby either. Shows he can have a good match given the right circumstances. The Luger/Tatanka match was just okay. I don't know what to say about the heel turn of Tatanka but if Lex HAD sold out to Ted DiBiase, It might have helped his WWF run. Lex is better as a heel anyway. The Jarrett/Mabel match was dull. Basically a match between two men who nobody really cares for. RIP Mabel, but still.  Now the Steel Cage match between Bret and Owen. First off, what's noteworthy is that The British Bulldog makes his official WWF return. Bret and Owen make a steel cage technical masterpiece. I consider their WM X encounter only a tiny bit better. This was technically Owen's only WWF title shot and he made the most of it. Bret leaves with the title, and Owen continues to cement himself as a top player in the WWF. The final spot where Owen gets his foot caught in the bars and hangs upside down like on a jungle gym is one of the reasons why I miss the classic blue bar cage. Plus it's easier to climb than chain link. The postmatch beatdown that Anvil and Owen give Bret felt very Four Horsemen like. Hats off to both Hart Brothers. Now unfortunately we come to the Main Event. Undertaker VS Underfaker. Now this is one of the only times we have 2 of the Taker's theme songs on the same show. The Brian Lee fake one had the old pipe organ theme and the Mark Calaway real deal had a new symphonic theme. The part where Paul Bearer opened the urn and the flashlight shining throughout the United Center with the real one in new black and purple was a very cool entrance. Unfortunately the match was just a DUD. The crowd was quiet throughout. Wasn't there a better way to do the Taker's return than this. The stuff with Leslie Nielsen and George Kennedy was silly but it's what you'd expect from a Naked Gun movie.

This wasn't the best Summerslam but it was far from the worst I thought.

What did you think of Summerslam 94

Tomorrow I review Summerslam 95

Edited by BrawnyCharger
  • Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, BrawnyCharger said:

Now unfortunately we come to the Main Event. Undertaker VS Underfaker. Now this is one of the only times we have 2 of the Taker's theme songs on the same show. The Brian Lee fake one had the old pipe organ theme and the Mark Calaway real deal had a new symphonic theme. The part where Paul Bearer opened the urn and the flashlight shining throughout the United Center with the real one in new black and purple was a very cool entrance. Unfortunately the match was just a DUD. The crowd was quiet throughout. Wasn't there a better way to do the Taker's return than this. The stuff with Leslie Nielsen and George Kennedy was silly but it's what you'd expect from a Naked Gun movie.

Other than being slightly smaller, Lee really did look almost-exactly like Calaway. (Fun fact: Bollywood actually got Lee to be 'Taker in a so-bad-it's-good movie.)

P.S.: Too bad the Naked Gun people couldn't be at the actual event; might've made it less boring.