Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Any Pro-Wrestling Fans Around?

Denim&Venöm

16 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Team USA: Kurt Angle, AJ Styles, John Cena, Samoa Joe, Shawn Michaels, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin

World: Cesaro, Kenny Omega, Kushida, William Regal, Bruno Sammartino, Alex Kozlov, Rusev

I hope I did this right. :P

You're short one on the US side. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
51 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

You're short one on the US side. 

Whoops, thanks for telling me. :please:

The 7th spot on the US side would go to The Rock. 

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
11 hours ago, TheRockARooster said:

34sj9zr.thumb.jpg.1e39acde11b5f3695e7a2316e0c5e623.jpg

Sting: "And they were willing to pay us such a truckload just so we'd let them unnecessarily bury us one last time!"

Also, of course, this:

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Okay, so I just got through Night 1 of the NJPW U.S. special. Short version: Tournament matches were the highlight. Okada/Rhodes was okay. Dragged out int he middle too much for my tastes, but got rather good towards the end. War Machine/G.O.D. was a decent spot fest hardcore match, if not a bit by the numbers. 

So for a more indepth look, be wary of spoilers. 

Spoiler

Show had 3 throwaway 8 man tags, which was one of the more accurate brought over from Japan. B PPVs and co-promotion main events are bottom loaded with multi-man tag matches. You can skip half a PPV and not miss much as far as developments go, as it'll all be filler tag matches. Get's even more predictable if it involves a faction. Then it'll be the same group of guys. Anyways, you all saw the first. Next was Los Ignorbernobles De Japon (LIJ) def. Team CMLL & Jushin Liger. While Tanahashi, Kushida, Dave Finlay Jr & Jay White def. The Tempura Boys, Yohsitatsu & Billy Gunn. Can't believe Billy is in a main event title match in 2017. 

First round IWGP US title tournament match: Jay Lethal vs. Hangman Paige (Bullet Club). Decent enough match. Though it'd be more at home on an ROH broadcast than an NJPW one. Even on it's own solo show, NJPW kinda has to piggy back off of ROH & CMLL during overseas tours. Anyways fair match. Scary moment involving Paige and the barricade (more on that later). I don't think anyone was really expecting Paige to win. Lethal advances to the semis.

First round IWGP US title tournament match #2: Juice Robinson vs. Zack Sabre Jr. (Suzuki-Gun) The ways Zack can bend people like pretzels is scary. But Juice has come a long way since his days in NXT as CJ Parker. Solid all around guy. He was my pick to win it. Keyword was, as Zack tapped him out to what I can only describe as a double arm trap octopus stretch. Shame. Crowd were really behind him. 

So with two  matches, we're now down to one american. In the IWGP U.S. title tournament. Everyone else is either Japanese, British or Canadian. 

Next tournament match: Tomohiro Ishii (Chaos) vs. Tetsuya Naito (LIJ). Nice stiff match here. Ishii looking dominant, and over a main eventer like Naito. Wish we could've seen more antics from Naito. he acted a bit subdued in this match. 

IWGP world heavyweight tag title match: Hanson & Ray Rowe (War Machine) vs. Tamma Tonga & Tonga Rowa (Guerrillas Of Destiny/ Bullet Club). Impromptu street fight. As mentioned, kinda a by the numbers match. Chase Owens came out to aid his bullet club buddies. Briefly turned the tide, but War Machine powered through the odds and won their second IWGP tag reign. Even though it was no DQ, it felt pretty meh compared to their last match. 

Final first round match: Micheal Elgin vs. Kenny Omega (Bullet Club) w/ The Young Bucks. Easily MOTN. Elgin showing his stiff power game, but Kenny got everyone in the crowd to wince with all those stiff knee strikes of his. Put Nakamura to shame. Kenny advances after the One Winged Angel. 

IWGP world title match: Okada vs. ROH world champ Cody. I mean, it was alright for a title match. Wasn't expecting much. Didn't get too much. It started well. Then slowed down in the middle. Picked back up near the end when Kenny came out in a bit of a role reversal from Dominion last month, where he was gonna throw in the towel for Cody. Though Cody took the towel, wiped his sweat, and his ass with it, and threw it back into Kenny's face. 

Strong trading of finishers. Cody hitting the rainmaker. Okada hitting cross Rhodes. In a move of descension, Cody tried to hit the one winged angel in front of Kenny, but got countered, tombstoned, and then rainmakered, giving the win to Okada. 

Afterwords, we got our English introduction by Okada's manager, Gedo. And most surprisingly of all, we got an English promo from Okada! And a pretty good one! Asking if the fans enjoyed themselves, saying he was gonna make it rain in long beach, and how he was gonna bring strong style to the world. He cuts better promo's than a good chunk of native English speakers. 

So with night one down, I've got a few gripes to get out of the way. While the matches for the most part were solid, if not average, the production around the match I'm questioning. First of all, the crowd barricades were not secured. They were toppling over easily, as Hangman Paige found out the hard way. Lethal hits a suicide dive. Hangman hits the barricade. Barricade topples over. Paige lands back first on said barricade in a painful looking spot. Sloppy set up job by security.

Second were the audio issues in the arena. Sounded like half the speakers were kicking in and out during entrance music. The ring announcers could barley be heard. One wrestlers music would continue playing while another was staring to make his entrance. Name graphics were coming up at wrong times. Some would have faction logos next to their name, that would be hard to make out over certain back grounds.  And while I may get some flack for this, I was not digging Jim Ross & Josh Barnett on commentary. They talked over the announcers, which made listening a jumbled mess. They kept getting their facts wrong. Mixing up Mark and Jay Briscoe. Saying War Machine were 7x ROH tag champs, when they've held the belts once. Confusing a German suplex for a back suplex. Getting the members of LIJ mixed up. He keeps saying Jay Lethal is a 2x ROH world champ. Nope. Held that belt once.  Confusing a neck breaker for a cutter. Look I get JR enjoys what he does now, but I think he's out of his element here. 

Overall, while I'm glad NJPW are finally making moves on U.S. shores, I'm a bit disappointed at the effort they've put in.  Production wise, night one was rather bush league compared to their regular set up or even ROH's set up. Bad timing with name graphics, a bit of off camera work popping up, bad sound in the building, bad timing with music, a lack of symmetry between commentators and announcers and no one fact checking w/ JR & Barnett first. 

In short, while we got some good matches on night one, it did not feel like an authentic NJPW experience. At times, it even felt sub par to an ROH event. 

Here's to the kinks getting worked out on Night 2. 

Edited by Denim&Venom
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

@Denim&Venom @A.V. @Unicorncob @BrawnyCharger @TheRockARooster

If you could be in a tag team with any wrestler who would they be?

I would be in a tag team with Edge since he's won Tag Team Championships with every partner that he's teamed with.*

*I could be wrong on that though. :unsure:

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Lord Giant Albert Train himself, Matt Bloom. Sure, he's only been a 2x IWGP world tag champ and NOAH GHC world tag champ. But those latter two reigns are key. For Giant Berny was IWGP tag champ for 564 days. Not 264. Not 364. Not 464. 564 days. As in, over 18 months as tag champ. Not only that, but he also won the GHC world tag title, while still the IWGP tag team champion. And he and his tag partner, a certain Karl Anderson, were undefeated as a team for over a year. 

On top of that, he managed to fight to the finals of the G1 climax, and won the inaugural New Japan cup. Dude knows how to get s:mellow:t done. 

Either that or guys like James Storm or Hiroyoshi Tenzan. One has the most reigns as the NWA world tag champ and TNA world tag champ. The other has the most IWGP world heavyweight tag title reigns at 12.

Edited by Denim&Venom
  • Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I would be in a tag team with Edge since he's won Tag Team Championships with every partner that he's teamed with.*

I'm not answering since I've cut wrestling from my life and Iwant nothing to do with it and I never want my name mentioned in associationwith wrestling again.

Take care.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I'd team with those such as Owen Hart, British Bulldog, Brian Pillman, Ricky Steamboat, Mr. Perfect, Chris Jericho, Edge, Daniel Bryan, etc.

Because I like good workers. Plus they're some of my favorites. RIP those who are gone. I wish they weren't.

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Zack Ryder

He might actually get a push

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Well, out of those that are currently on the roster, I think that I'd like to tag team with Shinsuke Nakamura or Finn Balor. Both guys have lots of charisma, and great move sets. PLUS, i'd like to be in the ring next to the Demon King Balor.

now for wrestlers that are no longer in the business, I'd would have like to tag team with Mankind or any of Mick Foley's personas. Another one that i would have loved to team with is Rikishi.

• Brohoof 1

33 minutes ago, Penguinbrony24 said:

Well, out of those that are currently on the roster, I think that I'd like to tag team with Shinsuke Nakamura or Finn Balor. Both guys have lots of charisma, and great move sets. PLUS, i'd like to be in the ring next to the Demon King Balor.

For current WWE roster members my pick would definitely be, AJ Styles. 

He has an exciting moveset & is popular with the crowd whether he's a face or a heel.

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

You don't like Mojo Rawley either, huh? 

The hype thing is... a pretty bad gimmick if I'm honest. He's a big guy who moves fast and that's cool, but c'mon you can do much better with him.

Plus... Mojo Rawley. That's what a main eventer sounds like.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
5 hours ago, Unicorncob said:

The hype thing is... a pretty bad gimmick if I'm honest. He's a big guy who moves fast and that's cool, but c'mon you can do much better with him.

Plus... Mojo Rawley. That's what a main eventer sounds like.

Aside from his name, Mojo Rawley also has a look that screams "JOBBER!", IMO.

I know he's a big guy but, he doesn't seem intimidating to me in the slightest. 

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 1

12 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Aside from his name, Mojo Rawley also has a look that screams "JOBBER!", IMO.

I know he's a big guy but, he doesn't seem intimidating to me in the slightest. 

You'd think such a big guy who can move so fast and screams a lot would be a great monster heel

• Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, Unicorncob said:

You'd think such a big guy who can move so fast and screams a lot would be a great monster heel

I don't really know how well Mojo could work as a heel he seems like too much of a doofus, IMO.

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I don't really know how well Mojo could work as a heel he seems like too much of a doofus, IMO.

Yeah, but then again that would make turning him into a monster heel all the more surprising and, arguably, enjoyable

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

So spoilers inbound, but we've just had a title change at a WWE house show. 

Spoiler

Which also means (spoilers for G1 U.S. special. Review of night two coming soon)

Spoiler

Both untied states champions for the world s biggest wrestling companies have been leaders of Bullet Club

Image result for aj styles us champion

Image result for kenny omega us champion

In related news, you're not gonna believe which New Japan star was backstage at last weeks Raw & Smackdown shows. 

Spoiler

Image result for okada at smackdown

Edited by Denim&Venom
  • Brohoof 2