Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Spike's role and purpose in future seasons?

ManaMinori

Kind of depends on how you define "needing" him.

Does he still serve a practical purpose? Sure. Whether or not Twilight and her friends will continue to write letters to Princess Celestia about friendship or anything else, Twilight has her own castle now with a library all its own. The place will need to be cleaned and organized. Spike's got plenty of work to do at the new place. Considering the Mane 6's propensity for traipsing of without him for some grand adventures, he'll find himself alone in the castle most of the time, I'd guess, possibly serving as an emissary of sorts for Twilight as well as keeping the place orderly.

More than that, he's her friend. She's made that clear. Even if there's nothing he can do for her anymore, that doesn't mean she no longer needs him in the capacity of a faithful, trusted companion. Her being a princess or often absent doesn't have to change that, and I don't believe it should.

• Brohoof 2

Spike has existed since the beginning of My Little Pony. He worked with Grogar before living with Ponies in Pony Land. He didn't show up in generation 1.5, but he appeared again in generation 3. I don't think he was in generation 3.5. Generation 4 Spike was more than just Twilight's servant. He's his own character. Twilight would never get rid of Spike. That was Spike's greatest fear, and Twilight told him that it was a fear that would never come to pass. Spike should have more character growth, though. Maybe he will get that in season 5. 

• Brohoof 1

Yes there is there is use for Spike in the future seasons.

As long as Twilight continues being Twilight she will always need someone to bring her down to reality and be her anchor when she freaks out such as exampled in Lesson Zero.  And heck even the Crystal Empire and Equestria Girls have exampled that level of relationship that Spike has with Twilight so as long as she stays herself then there will always be at least one use for him.

Spike wasn't necessary in previous seasons, either, besides I suppose to make the scenes when Twilight isn't with the other ponies more interesting to watch. I don't think they will get rid of him, if that's what you're trying to suggest.

Of course there's a need for spike. If anything, the show needs more dragons not less. Dragons are often represented in a negative light, so much so that even Spike himself seems to dislike them. He's not a pony, and he never will be. He should embrace his dragon heritage, and be proud of it. You pretentious ponies, always trying to put the dragon beneath yourselves. Check your Pony Privilege. 

(This entire post is just a joke.)

Since the Mane 6 will be traveling, there could be an episode where Spike has to deal with that negative light directly. A town of ponies that despise dragons because of bad history with them. Then when the Mane 6 try to defend Spike saying he's a good dragon, it falls apart some because of some bad things/mistakes he's done.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 1

Spike wasn't necessary in previous seasons, either, besides I suppose to make the scenes when Twilight isn't with the other ponies more interesting to watch. I don't think they will get rid of him, if that's what you're trying to suggest.

ok, I'm sorry, but you're 100% wrong on that. Spike was absolutely necessary in previous seasons. Hell, in the very first episode, Twilight wanted to disregard Celestia's advice on making friends- and she would've, had Spike not been there. In Twilight's own words "the fate of Equestria does not rest on me making friends" SPIKE convinced her otherwise.

Spike was also the one to not only snap Twilight out of her mad state of mind in "Lesson Zero", but the only one of her friends who took her concerns seriously. Seriously enough, in fact, to go get Celestia, afterwards. Had he not done that, who knows how much worse "Lesson Zero" could've become, if Celestia- thanks to Spike- didn't get there to clean up Twilight's mess.

He saves the crystal empire, when no one else had the means to. Even Sombra- with all of his traps and foresight and planning- hadn't taken SPIKE into consideration.

He saved the ponies from Timberwolves

Twilight wouldn't even know what to check up on, in Winter Wrap up, without Spike there, literally TELLING her where to go.

and much more.

Don't sit there and tell me Spike wasn't necessary in previous seasons.

• Brohoof 1

For me, there is.

Spike is an entertaining enough character for me, and as he gets older, I would like to see his relationship with Twilight and Rarity develop. The original children who watched the show from the first two seasons are growing older now, and seeing Spike grow can help them relate to him a lot.

• Brohoof 1

I think improving his character is the key to solving the problem, not getting rid of it.

I think they just need to get rid of Spike centric episodes. With the exception of Inspiration Manifestation, all of his episodes have been awful.

Edited by DarkSwap7701
  • Brohoof 2

No that would be a horrible idea!

That is almost as bad as an idea as turning Twilight back into a unicorn!  Both would be terrible moves that would showcase a lack  of trust in the writers. From retconing a major change in status quo and character development or removing a major character in the entire series for no good reason both would be evident of crappy writing.

He still has a purpose in the show (being the token male) and his character dynamic with Twilight is actually pretty fun and cute.

I don't know why anyone would think that this would be a good idea in the slightest.

• Brohoof 2

Bad writing, perceived or otherwise, should not be the basis for eliminating a character. Arguably, Celestia has had little to no impact and her writing by many is considered bad. Should she be written out as well? 

The answer is no. Spike, like Celestia has a unique and important role to play in the story, even if the show at times poorly conveys that message.

Twilight may have a lot of close friends, but Spike is the only close family she had growing up. With the Golden Oaks Library, and all physical traces of Twilight's home gone, Spike is the 1 remaining part of that home she has. Home is where the heart is and the heart is where the family is. Take Spike away and Twilight has none of that left to support her character.

More to the point, all of the Mane 6 have a place and someone that they can call home,

Fluttershy has Angel Bunny and now Discord along with her animal friends

Rainbow Dash has Scootaloo 

Applejack has her family and Sweet Apple Acres

Pinkie Pie has the Cakes and Sugarcube Corner

Rarity has Sweetie Belle and Carousel Boutique

Take Spike away and Twilight has nothing. Princess, protagonist or not, Twilight needs her family and roots. The writers themselves made it clear that Twilight would not be the type of leader that forgets who she is and those who she cares for.

• Brohoof 5

With the Golden Oaks Library, and all physical traces of Twilight's home gone, Spike is the 1 remaining part of that home she has.

AHEM

300px-Owllicious_by_blackm3sh-d3elqww.pn 

(But really I do get what you're saying. Spike's family! He can't just go away)

• Brohoof 3