Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Spike's role and purpose in future seasons?

ManaMinori

(edited)

Let's think about it. Spike's sole purpose is to serve as an assistant to Twilight. Literally from the time he was hatched by her, he's been with Twilight, and assigned his role, by Celestia, to assist. He's a natural born helper- not just to Twilight, but to other ponies. This is best seen, in my opinion- in “Lesson Zero”, keeping Twilight on track when she starts to lose it and panic about her report to Celestia, and being the only one of Twilight's friends who takes her concerns seriously enough that he goes to Canterlot to fetch Celestia, who intervenes when she cracks and causes the whole town to to ballistic over a doll, just so she could write her friendship report. Spike knows Twilight better than her friends seem to, because he's the one that's been with her the longest- even longer than Celestia herself has been mentoring Twilight, since they've been together first. In “The crystal Empire”, Spike's greatest fear is shown as he's looking through Sombra's magic door- and that's of Twilight leaving him, telling him that she no longer needed him, and ultimately sending him away.

Now that Celestia has groomed Twlight to her role as a princess, after Twi created a new type of magic and transformed herself into an alicorn, could Spike's fears be coming to pass? Twilight's no longer the unicorn she once was in the beginning; she's left behind her dismissive attitude toward friendship, her sarcasm, and many other aspects of her personality that she once had, and she's matured significantly since the beginning. Sadly, as she continues along the path of further maturity, I can't see her really needing Spike as an assistant, as he was meant to be- especially if she keeps seeing him as a “baby” dragon. Even still, as she continues to leave him behind when her and her friends go on their adventures.

It seems like the distance between them is growing, and I'm worried whether the writers will ignore this, rather than attempt to address it. What role does Spike really have, now that Twilight's a princess, and will he ever be included on more adventures, in attempt to make use of his character, and his supporting role, again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KslNsxsFrnk

Edited by Nightmare Muffin

one thing real quick... Twilight didn't turn herself into an Alicorn Celestia turned her into an Alicorn

and I don't think their going to leave Spike out of anything... Spike can still assist Twilight in other ways... he also can assist Rarity.... if the writers were able to keep our attention for this long I'm pretty sure they wont overlook something like this..... who knows..... only time can tell

(if this doesn't make any sense its because I'm writing while half asleep so I can't English right... if it does then good...)

• Brohoof 1

As a ruler, you would need assistants. Celestia has atleast one, I assume Luna and Candence have a few, so why not Twilight? Plus, Twilight is a slob, someone has to clean up after her ;)

• Brohoof 2

I highly doubt that.Twilight would never leave a friend behind,and Spike is the closest friend she's got.For her to abandon him would be very...well,un-Twilight of her.I'm sure just because of that alone,Spike will keep appearing in future episodes.

'sides,like Spartan said,she's a slob and she needs a janitor to clean up after her anyhow.

I highly doubt that.Twilight would never leave a friend behind,and Spike is the closest friend she's got.For her to abandon him would be very...well,un-Twilight of her.I'm sure just because of that alone,Spike will keep appearing in future episodes.

'sides,like Spartan said,she's a slob and she needs a janitor to clean up after her anyhow.

so essentially, Spike's just there to be a janitor. Granted, he's pretty much always been, (and I guess it's better than being a buttmionkey), but at least before, Twilight needed him to keep her together and act like her voice of reason when she was under pressure. Now she doesn't even need him for that. So by your (and Spartan's) own words, he's just there, and will continue to be there- only to clean up after Twilight.

I'm currently questioning if there's any need for RD in future seasons I mean the show doesn't portray her like they use to an instead make it seem as if she's not the element of loyalty not even an element at all so is there actually any use for her other then just episodes reminding us she exists

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I've never understood why some people question themselves about "the need of a character".

Some characters have no utility in the show (every background pony for example), but they're still characters of the show that fans like and I don't see why they should remove them.

Spike is Twilight (and the other mane 6)'s friend, even if he wasn't Twilight's assistant anymore, he's still very important to the show.

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 12

I'm not sure, actually. What bothers me is that Spike's character is not well written, and that's probably the real reason we're talking about this. Plenty of other side characters are no more essential to the plot than he is, but they are usually well done so we don't need to question them. But Spike stands out as a weakness. Is he Twilight's well-qualified assistant who helps keep her grounded, a bungler nopony really respects, or just a punching bag we're supposed to actively dislike? The writers can't decide. He just gets thrown into each of these roles off and on, if he's not being left out entirely.

I want him to be essential and even a surrogate little brother to Twilight, but we don't see that. She doesn't have many meaningful discussions with him or talk about him very much with her friends. He's mostly just there.  -_-

• Brohoof 4

I am surprised that a question like this even has to be brought up.  :mustache:

Spike is a little brother to Twilight as Shining Armor is a big brother to her. The OP said it better than anyone could - Spike has been with Twilight the longest of anyone. Why on Earth would Twilight just abandon Spike? Spike doesn't help Twilight because he needs to, but rather because he cares for her. Likewise Twilight doesn't care for Spike because she has to, but because she cares for Spike.

Think of it this way: do you just view your parents as financial assets and your personal bank or maids? Of course not! Even after you've moved on and made a successful career and family for yourself you still return to visit and love your family. They still play a key role in your life.

Its the same here, but I don't reckon that Spike will leave Twilight. Where would he move? Canterlot? The 2 characters are bound together because the love they share for each other as brothers and sisters. Even with the consistently bad writing in the show against Spike, time and again we see that Twilight does indeed care for Spike. Why else would she risk her life chasing him in Dragon Quest? Why would she entrust him of all people to save the Crystal Empire?

Bad writing aside, the writers have consistently shown that Twilight and Spike have a special and strong relationship. Besides that, what kind of princess would Twilight be if she forsook the 1 family she has had all her life? We shouldn't underestimate Twilight or Spike's capacity for  friendship and love.

• Brohoof 10

I am surprised that a question like this even has to be brought up.  :mustache:

Spike is a little brother to Twilight as Shining Armor is a big brother to her. The OP said it better than anyone could - Spike has been with Twilight the longest of anyone. Why on Earth would Twilight just abandon Spike? Spike doesn't help Twilight because he needs to, but rather because he cares for her. Likewise Twilight doesn't care for Spike because she has to, but because she cares for Spike.

Think of it this way: do you just view your parents as financial assets and your personal bank or maids? Of course not! Even after you've moved on and made a successful career and family for yourself you still return to visit and love your family. They still play a key role in your life.

Its the same here, but I don't reckon that Spike will leave Twilight. Where would he move? Canterlot? The 2 characters are bound together because the love they share for each other as brothers and sisters. Even with the consistently bad writing in the show against Spike, time and again we see that Twilight does indeed care for Spike. Why else would she risk her life chasing him in Dragon Quest? Why would she entrust him of all people to save the Crystal Empire?

Bad writing aside, the writers have consistently shown that Twilight and Spike have a special and strong relationship. Besides that, what kind of princess would Twilight be if she forsook the 1 family she has had all her life? We shouldn't underestimate Twilight or Spike's capacity for  friendship and love.

there's no doubt that Twi and Spike love each other, but the point still stands that he's being left out on adventures. Twi spends more time with her friends than she does with Spike- and now that she's become a princess and is taking care of herself more, what is there going to be for her #1 assistant to do for her? That's the issue I'm trying to raise here. The more Twilight grows, the less need she'll have for Spike's help, and eventually, he'll just be there. Doing nothing, and still wanting to help; to have a sense of purpose. Just like Sunset Shimmer.

• Brohoof 1

Spike is an important part of life Twilight. You could even say a more important part than her brother and parents. If Spike disappear from the show, it will be extremely negative event. Although I do not see how this can happen as he too important characters to disappear.

Twi said her self right after Spike looked into King Sombra's door "I would never send you away". She didn't say that not being her assistant wasn't an option.

And remember, Spike is just a baby dragon, he wouldn't do great on many questse Twi goes on with her friends. And anything requireng the elements he'd serve no use anyway.

Spike still has his own story to tell; I believe. While a number of Spike-centric episodes felt rather weak, I think he still has something to contribute when given the time.

• Brohoof 4

That's a huge stretch from the hidden truth you're attempting to question.

Spike would be needed for Twilight and her friends, Twilight made it clear that she still needs him in her life and the lives of her friends but they just haven't been able to appreciate his support and his efforts to do them some justice.

The writers seemed to be building on the very moment coming up when it comes to Spike finally being able to officially prove himself to be a crucial part of the gang and make Twilight and the others realize that they've been taking him for granted for too long since they focused on themselves and they would need him in huge moments when they get themselves into huge jams they can't get themselves out of.

If not, then the writers are being oblivious to and are missing out on the huge potential Spike has for real character development.

• Brohoof 1

They could do an episode where Spike feels like he's being unfairly treated by Twilight and the Mane 6, then goes on strike. I just don't see Spike beyond being a pony pleasing dragon.

Spike is not functionally obsolete. He serves a purpose, it's just bad writing that does a terrible job of acknowledging it. He is still there to write Twilight's letters, he is still there to organize for her and clean up for her, and he is still there for emotional support. The only way he could become factually obsolete is if the show replaced him with another character, which was not the case when Owlowiscious came on back in Season 1.

Pretty much everything @TailsIsNotAlone said;

I'm not sure, actually. What bothers me is that Spike's character is not well written, and that's probably the real reason we're talking about this. Plenty of other side characters are no more essential to the plot than he is, but they are usually well done so we don't need to question them. But Spike stands out as a weakness. Is he Twilight's well-qualified assistant who helps keep her grounded, a bungler nopony really respects, or just a punching bag we're supposed to actively dislike? The writers can't decide. He just gets thrown into each of these roles off and on, if he's not being left out entirely.

I want him to be essential and even a surrogate little brother to Twilight, but we don't see that. She doesn't have many meaningful discussions with him or talk about him very much with her friends. He's mostly just there.  -_-

• Brohoof 1

Spike taking care of Twilight Sparkle's day to day chores seems rather :derp: when she has the capable magic to do the work herself.

Edited by Singe

one thing real quick... Twilight didn't turn herself into an Alicorn Celestia turned her into an Alicorn

and I don't think their going to leave Spike out of anything... Spike can still assist Twilight in other ways... he also can assist Rarity.... if the writers were able to keep our attention for this long I'm pretty sure they wont overlook something like this..... who knows..... only time can tell

(if this doesn't make any sense its because I'm writing while half asleep so I can't English right... if it does then good...)

I bed to differ. She most certainly DID change herself into an alicorn. Contrary to popular beliefe, t wasn't Celestia.

see here: http://mlpforums.com/topic/50078-the-purpose-of-starswirls-spell-and-the-nature-of-twilights-transformation/

Most notably, this piece of observation:

Twilight's transformation

Some seem to think Celestia herself is solely responsible for this transformation. I don't think this is the case and I think this is indicated in the episode. When twilight changes the magic that changes her doesn't come from Celestia, it comes from Twilight herself. The color of the magic also seems to match up to Twilight. What does this mean? Well to sum it up in one sentence... Alicorns aren't created they are realized.

As for Spike, you could list some ways that he'd continue to help Twilight, to back your argument. What could he offer, aside from his services of basically maid duty, and offer Twilight as a character, as her number one assistant, as she continues to grow and not need him for the things she once used to- like as a voice of reason and moral compass, like he once was? What can he offer more than the companionship that Twilight seems to have a stronger tie with, than the other ponies?

There is still plenty of need for Spike.

There's this thing called a parliament, at least in the UK and countries that have monarchs (like Equestria, is a country pretty much). The UK Parliament has 650 members.

But this is just my way of saying (YES HE STILL HAS A ROLE HERE!).

Plus, I don't like these discussions. Rather gloomy, don't you think so?

Of course there's a need for spike. If anything, the show needs more dragons not less. Dragons are often represented in a negative light, so much so that even Spike himself seems to dislike them. He's not a pony, and he never will be. He should embrace his dragon heritage, and be proud of it. You pretentious ponies, always trying to put the dragon beneath yourselves. Check your Pony Privilege. 

(This entire post is just a joke.)

Ironically, these later seasons seem to have incorperated Spike into the group more, not less. Season 1 mostly treated him like the slightly annoying little brother who mostly just helped Twilight. Season 2 treated him like the black sheep/odd man out who looked up to the rest of the group, needing them more than they needed him. It wasn't until Just For Sidekicks that his episodes started exploring his own unique dynamic as an actual member of the group. He's the only guy, he's a little bit younger, and his job is usually a little different, which sometimes seems to make the others want to play supportive roles and other times seems to make them more at ease talking to him (namely Rarity and Twilight). His record 3 episodes in Season 4 all explored how he supports them as much as vice-versa.

Personally, I think there's a lot of potential for him to continue down that route and maybe also serve as a bridge between the main group and some of the side characters. (The fact that he doesn't seem much older than the Cutie Mark Crusaders has allowed him to fit in well enough with them so far.) In fact, if the "next generation" team that some people keep suggesting ever becomes a thing (which it won't), I wouldn't mind him beeing on it, as the veteran who also had adventures with the original one.

Edited by The Second Opinion
  • Brohoof 1

I couldn't see Twilight without Spike or see the show without Spike's occasional jokes.