Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general questions Can someone take my old username if I change it?

Starlight Fan
Go to solution Solved by SilverComet,

I want to change my username, but if I do, will some other member be able to take the name I'm currently using of Sonata Dusk? It would be a nightmare if people started mixing the both of us up... so I just wanted to clarify before I change.

• Brohoof 2

If Sonata Dusk is your original username here, no. Last time I checked, MLPF has a feature turned on in its ACP that protects original usernames from being used if you change your display name.

• Brohoof 3

If Sonata Dusk is your original username here, no. Last time I checked, MLPF has a feature turned on in its ACP that protects original usernames from being used if you change your display name.

Yep, I signed up with that username. Thanks for the help!

• Brohoof 2

Is this so? This is either a new feature, or it's a switch that wasn't turned on in the past, because about a year ago someone took my old name when I changed it to something else. I let them do so but it makes me wonder.

• Brohoof 3

Is this so? This is either a new feature, or it's a switch that wasn't turned on in the past, because about a year ago someone took my old name when I changed it to something else. I let them do so but it makes me wonder.

I'm not sure about original usernames but I know many times where someone has taken the old display name from others, I can't speak for usernames though.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

[TL;DR] Even if two users had the same "display name", you can always set them appart by their USER_ID.

-  -  -  -  - 

In the "IP Board" system, to access a profile the url must be:

[name_of_the_forum].com/user/[uSER_ID]-[current_name_display]

Things in bold can not be changed without main administrative access; but the part in italics can be changed by users and moderators.

After you registered your account,  you got a USER_ID based on the current "ticket number" available (counted from the first to the last account ever created, included the banned ones); and set the original email of registration needed for confirmation (you can add another email as "primary means of contact" later, but the original always remains in case of a dispute).

On every profile (overview) there is a section at the right (between the number of "likes/brohofs" and "contacts/friends"); were anyone can see all name changes for that user plus the dates in between each of them [Display name history].

The USER_ID never changes, so it is posible to locate any user in order to editing links with the current new display name for statics links outside the enviroment of the forum (were they should update by default).

Since anyone can know what was the "first" display name choosed by an user (selected in the moment of creation of the account), you can always ask a moderator to rollback to it (even if ir requires editing any other user who may have "taking" such name), in order to restore yours.

Edited by SilverComet
  • Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

Since the question is answered, and the OP has not requested clarification, or further information, I'm going to close this thread.

If you have any further questions, feel free to start a new thread!

• Brohoof 1