Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can you be too old to dress goth?

Member Berry

I'm 24 and will be 25 in April. When I was a teenager I would dress "goth" and "emo" I kind of stopped dressing like it when I hit my 20's. A few weeks ago I was looking at old photos of myself, I think I looked a lot better then than now. I have gained some weight over the past couple of years (I'm trying to lose weight now) but I looked better dressed like that in my opinion. I still really like that look but I feel like I'm too old to dress like that now :/ Am I?

Right now I'm wearing "gothic" clothes. I have a black lace dress, black leggings and black buckle boots on. I think I look good :P I just kind of feel like I'm getting too old for it all.

Edited by Conspiracy.
  • Brohoof 1

At 25? Nah. There does come a point though where certain clothing isn't flattering on your body, but 25 is no where near that age.

As long as you are not in a professional setting there is no problem dressing like this. Clothing is one of the first things that people look at when making a first impression so make sure you are aware of what message your clothing sends. My clothing for example tailors to my occupation, and let's people know that I am professional, creative, and able to execute any given assignment.

• Brohoof 1

If I was going to a job interview or something then I wouldn't dress like this. I'm used to that as we had uniforms in my high school, we weren't allowed jewellery either. Depending on the job I would dress more "normal"

You can still dress in the spirit of goth (or any other style) at any age, but not to the extremes when you get older.  I don't think I've ever met an overt goth over thirty.

Certain types of dress are strictly for the young, a look that might be completely unremarkable in university may look ridiculous in other environments.  If you're thirty five years old and you turn up to work wearing massive steampunk boots covered in spikes, nobody is going to take you seriously. 

That doesn't mean that it's nothing but shirts and trousers as soon as you hit thirty, it's more about learning to moderate the look.

• Brohoof 1

If you want, sure. There's some places it won't be considered appropriate, and some people will judge you, but if you enjoy wearing that kind of style there's nothing really stopping you except yourself. You can't get too old for something like that, not really. Though if you want it to keep looking good you might have to change it up in some ways as you get older.

People judge a strange amount of things based off clothes though, so yeah. Be wary of that.

I'm 24 and will be 25 in April. When I was a teenager I would dress "goth" and "emo" I kind of stopped dressing like it when I hit my 20's. A few weeks ago I was looking at old photos of myself, I think I looked a lot better then than now. I have gained some weight over the past couple of years (I'm trying to lose weight now) but I looked better dressed like that in my opinion. I still really like that look but I feel like I'm too old to dress like that now :/ Am I?

Right now I'm wearing "gothic" clothes. I have a black lace dress, black leggings and black buckle boots on. I think I look good :P I just kind of feel like I'm getting too old for it all.

I'm 27 and still dress goth, I think I've matured the style somewhat from 'goth' to 'goth chic' which is a bit of a sleeker approach I think, along the lines of brands such as Heavy Red, the Rogue and the Wolf,Punk Rave and Crazyinlove. Wear what you want and as you long as you feel comfortable in it you will always look awesome. ;) Your style example sounds awesome btw ^_^

I think you should be able to dress however you want. And really, you're not that old, so I don't think you have to worry. :)

However, I think any style can be incorporated into the look of any age... you just have to be creative. :P

• Brohoof 1

Wearing what you want to wear shouldn't be something you're not afraid of showing, as your clothes represent yourself. At any age, it's completely fine to wear "goth" clothes, as long as you feel like that's who you are and not worry what other people think or say :)

• Brohoof 1

* odd, you sound just like me. i grew out of my goth/emo phase at around the same age, yet i do still look back on the clothes sometimes and think they look lovely, but i know i'd never go back to wearing them. it's probably been a good 6 years now since i ever wore anything of that nature.

* just wear whatever makes you feel comfortable!

• 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I would say it doesn't matter and that you should do you, however, the public may see it otherwise.