Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The fandom in 20 years

Plonkett

I'm sure the fandom will still exist, but it would be weaker than today of course.

However, it also depends on when the show ends, and on whether they do a G5 or not.

Edited by Blobulle

Star Wars, Invader Zim, and Harry Potter all ended and are old, yet their titles and fandoms still live on today (ironically I'm just getting into Invader Zim and I've always been a Potterhead. I dislike Star Wars though.) So I'm sure a lot of the fandom will still remain alive. As for the show, (WHICH WILL END OFFICALY IN 2018 DUE TO A CONTRACT HASBRO SIGNED,)

I'm sure it'll not remain for long. As for sites like this, Equestira Daily, Derpibooru, FIMFiction.Net, and other such as well as groups on DeviantART and such, may still remain. I hope they'll last like Star Wars, Invader Zim, and Harry Potter if they could. Although we'll no longer be in the fandom's bright era. When the show near it's end in 2018 we'll set ourselves in it's Dark Ages. Unless a rebirth of a new gen 5 show that's similar to G4 shows up of course.

Star Wars, Invader Zim, and Harry Potter all ended and are old, yet their titles and fandoms still live on today (ironically I'm just getting into Invader Zim and I've always been a Potterhead. I dislike Star Wars though.) So I'm sure a lot of the fandom will still remain alive. As for the show, (WHICH WILL END OFFICALY IN 2018 DUE TO A CONTRACT HASBRO SIGNED,)

I'm sure it'll not remain for long. As for sites like this, Equestira Daily, Derpibooru, FIMFiction.Net, and other such as well as groups on DeviantART and such, may still remain. I hope they'll last like Star Wars, Invader Zim, and Harry Potter if they could. Although we'll no longer be in the fandom's bright era. When the show near it's end in 2018 we'll set ourselves in it's Dark Ages. Unless a rebirth of a new gen 5 show that's similar to G4 shows up of course.

That's a HUGE misconception, the investor said that G4 was planned up until 2018 not that it was ending in 2018, with toy companies they schedule their lines until a set year then when that year comes they look at the sales and decide what to do with said toy line. So no there are no plans whatsoever to end G4, and if it does end in 2018 I can assure you it's a coincidence.

Edited by chirox the pony
  • Brohoof 3

I think over time it can survive, but probably will not be as strong as now. I also think that many sites dedicated to MLP that exist now, in the future will close their doors. I think it will survive only a small number of websites and forums with large populations of users (from now) and have always been a point of reference for the fandom.

Bach received only moderate recognition throughout his lifetime. Hundreds of years later, we still play Bach. :)

... Only fads fade. MLP has existed for more than 30 years, so we can be sure it's not a fad.

But it's not MLP in general that takes up most of the brony fandom. No, it's MLP G4. G4 is what started the boom of this whole thing, for anyone could've cared any less with the others generations. I believe G4 will be nothing but a fad.
  • Brohoof 1

Dead. As much as I wish this couldn't happen, while you guys see the fandom getting stronger, in my eyes, it's getting weaker. By the time the show ends people are going to flock to other things. I have a feeling that's going to be the same fate for lots of shows on air right now, as sad as it is.

But it's not MLP in general that takes up most of the brony fandom. No, it's MLP G4. G4 is what started the boom of this whole thing, for anyone could've cared any less with the others generations. I believe G4 will be nothing but a fad.

I agree that fandom does not exist for MLP in general.

However, It is quality (not G4) that attracts the fandom. If G4 was stylistically similar but poorly made, the size of the fandom would be decimated.

MLP has existed for decades, which is strong evidence that it isn't a fad. Combining this with the lucrative nature of G4 and Hasbro's need earn money, we can expect similar levels of quality in the future. This doesn't mean every generation will be of equal value, but it does mean the fandom will exist far into the future.

My prediction is the show will definitely be over, but the fandom will continue to organize conventions and make their own comics, animations, art, games, music, etc. Forums will still exist for bronies more as a safe haven and a place where they can express themselves with pony avatars, site themes, etc, mostly for the atmosphere it provides. Actual discussion of the show is going to decline considerably or stop altogether by then. At least bronies will still be able to hang out and do their own thing on their own terms, which qualifies to me as a thriving fandom.

A misconception some bronies seem to have though is that when a brony develops other interests and starts watching/doing other things, that he's not a brony anymore or is losing interest in MLP, which is not the case. A variety of interests and allocating time to multiple hobbies is a healthy thing.

• Brohoof 1

I think the fandom will still be around, pretty strong. They will still be contributing art and music  :squee:

Honestly, I think the fandom will stay forever. I mean, yeah, it will probably be "nerfed" when the show ends, but the original episodes and all of the fan content will still be there, so there will be always a smaller group of bronies who love this generation, and possibly creating new fan content.

I'm not leaving the fandom anytime soon, by the way.

• Brohoof 2

That's a HUGE misconception, the investor said that G4 was planned up until 2018 not that it was ending in 2018, with toy companies they schedule their lines until a set year then when that year comes they look at the sales and decide what to do with said toy line. So no there are no plans whatsoever to end G4, and if it does end in 2018 I can assure you it's a coincidence.

Oh, last time I checked it said it would end at the end of 2018. I guess I was having fuzzy memory last night.

Well, I made a fool of myself. :lol:

Edited by GoldenGlintingPurple
  • Brohoof 1

It sure would be funny if bronies 20 years from now (if there are any) reacted to G4 the way we do to G3/3.5,

Like "Oh my god, is that pony supposed to be Twilight? What's with her hair?" or "Why are their eyes so big?".

I don't think that they will react that way, but I just thought that would be funny.

• Brohoof 3