Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Spike Scrappy?

CastletonSnob

I've heard a few people compare Spike to Scrappy-Doo. If you know about Scrappy-Doo, that's not a good thing, as Scrappy-Doo is pretty much universally disliked.

What do you think? Is he as bad as Scrappy?

I do completely agree, he's not hated. It's just when the episode's focus on him, he tends to be written poorly. I feel that his potential as a character could be better utilised besides making him a millstone.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Nope. Spike has a personality, he's liked by corners of the fandom, and has stolen the spotlight as a secondary character; but his episodes are bogged down by really bad writing. Scrappy is two-dimensional, annoying, constantly repeating his mistakes, and thoroughly pointless.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 2

• 2 months later...

Here's the thing most of you may be too young to remember. When Scrappy was added to Scooby Doo, he was a forced in character. He was added into later seasons as the show grew stale, (kinda like when they added celebrity guest stars)so after several seasons of us being used to the dynamic that Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy, and Scooby shared, they throw in the annoying little pup. That is the main reason for the Scrappy hate (that, and he was a bad character). Spike on the other hoof, has been a part of the My Little Pony franchise since before Friendship is Magic. So, no. Not comparable at all.

• Brohoof 2

But I can't imagine he's popular with fans.

A lack of popularity does not equal Scrappy Doo. Even playing devil's advocate yoy have to understand that Spike rarely sits at the bottom of 'worst pony/character lists' whereas Scrappy does in his respective franchise ... by a mile.

• Brohoof 3

Spike is likable, fairly deep, and has had plenty of moments to be proud of. "The Crystal Empire" especially comes to mind...

Scrappy on the other is continually one of the most annoying cartoon characters in existence. I was never a Scooby Doo fan, but every time he was on I wanted to tell him "bad boy, sit." >:-(

• Brohoof 1

I strongly disagree. Spike is nothing like Scrappy-Doo. Scrappy-Doo was merely a character created to boost ratings. Too bad it backfired. Spike at least has a personality and character development; Scrappy has none of that. I cannot believe that someone would even compare the two. Scrappy is hated so much that there is a trope for this: The Scrappy

• Brohoof 1

A lack of popularity does not equal Scrappy Doo. Even playing devil's advocate yoy have to understand that Spike rarely sits at the bottom of 'worst pony/character lists' whereas Scrappy does in his respective franchise ... by a mile.

I actually liked Scrappy! and how is "The Magician" guy not the character most panned in the New Adventures of Scooby Doo? He was HORRIBLE!

But yes, Spike > Scrappy.

I don't dislike Spike.  I dislike how he's usually written in Spike episodes.  He's had good moments; I think he's got potential.

I do completely agree, he's not hated. It's just when the episode's focus on him, he tends to be written poorly. I feel that his potential as a character could be better utilised besides making him a millstone.

Yes yes.  He's actually a great character that has just been handled poorly in quite a few spotlights.  His best moments tend to be his cameo-type appearances in other episodes, and his one-liners.  In the non-spotlights, I often feel like he's portrayed as quite mature.  A couple of memorable examples for me were his appearances in Simple Ways, when he was offering some reassurance to Rarity, and his appearance in Tanks, when he was explaining to Rainbow that being a dragon doesn't make him an expert on toroises, and that Rainbow should defer to Fluttershy's judgement.  In those scenes, I think, yes, now there's the Spike I like.  And then they just destroy him in episodes like Princess Spike.  Ugh.

• Brohoof 2

He's not like Scrappy. Spike has enough potential to be a good main character, but...

And then they just destroy him in episodes like Princess Spike.  Ugh.

The downward spiral already began around season 4, but you're right about that Spike's role in the series was ultimately ruined by that episode.

• Brohoof 2

I strongly disagree. Spike is nothing like Scrappy-Doo. Scrappy-Doo was merely a character created to boost ratings. Too bad it backfired. Spike at least has a personality and character development; Scrappy has none of that. I cannot believe that someone would even compare the two. Scrappy is hated so much that there is a trope for this: The Scrappy

I know there was a Star Wars character like that but I forgot the name so I went to google and wrote "star wars most hated...." and before I ended that sentence Jar Jar Binks appeared at the top. 

And don't forget that Scrappy:

was also in the first movie. Scooby and the crew where tired of his shenanigans and kicked him out. Later he came back as the hidden antagonist of the movie

I mean Scrappy, as in an unpopular character.

Nah, actual scrappies are Snip, Snails, Diamond Tiara, and Flashy I'm going to steal your waifus Sentry . Spikey Wikey has hardly scrappy elements, he just has a relatively low spotlight, and a bad track of episodes dedicated to him

Spike is definitely not like Scrappy.  If I remember correctly, Scrappy always pressed on with whatever he had on his mind without consideration for the people around him, whereas Spike eventually (or immediately) reflects on how his behavior will affect his friends.  Spike is also way less annoying and hyperactive.

• Brohoof 2