Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S05:E13 - Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?

Jeric

S05:E13 - Do Princesses Dream of Magical Sheep?  

319 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

This episode was basically another excuse for the animators to go nuts, and it's a pretty dang good one at that. I liked all of the crazy things the ponies dreamed, and I like the idea of Luna creating the Tantabus so she can remind herself of all of the bad she caused. Also I love that they showed us the Mane 6's individual dreams. 

But there were 2 problems I had: clunky dialogue, and rushed ending. If they had shortened out the sequence with all of the ponies dreaming big to fight the Tantabus, they could've used that time to make the ending a bit less rushed. Also, the dialogue could've been more subtle and quit reminding us of what's going on every 5 minutes. 

Otherwise, this was great episode overall, and a good mid-season finale.

8.7/10; A-

P.S.

Season 5 has a good number of good-great episodes.

Season 4's first half had some good episodes, but it had its share of mediocre to bad episodes.

• Brohoof 2

I can't be the only one that couldn't help but snicker at Luna saying, "There is nothing my sister can do."  Period.  End of sentence.  She could easily have added "...to help us," but she didn't.   :comeatus:

"Luna did it!"

"She sure did! Only... I'm not exactly sure what she did."

^

Sums up my entire feelings on the episode.
I think I'll need a second rewatch because I was just lost.

The sequences were nice, and Luna was good in this episode and the background pones were great.

Only... what did I just watch? It was so incoherent. It was rushed... Just... huh?

• Brohoof 2

"Luna did it!"

"She sure did! Only... I'm not exactly sure what she did."

^

Sums up my entire feelings on the episode.

I think I'll need a second rewatch because I was just lost.

The sequences were nice, and Luna was good in this episode and the background pones were great.

Only... what did I just watch? It was so incoherent. It was rushed... Just... huh?

What she did was create the battlefield where the ponies stood a chance to win against the Tantabus. She also forgave herself, which weakened the monster.

This episode makes Luna's entrance scene with Apple Bloom in episode 4 even better.

Saying things like

"you can't get away from your own shadow"

"sometimes the fear can make us feel like we're trapped in a nightmare"

Was that foreshadowing? O_O

• Brohoof 4

That was some fine pandaring. I liked it. I liked it all. What I didn’t like was that they went all Silent Hill on poor Luna in an episode that would work a lot better as carefree fun.

The thing about pandaring is that it’s best served as a side dish. Here, they turned it into a main course and completely plowed all over Luna’s inner turmoil. Instead of paying attention to her, we all chose to laugh at Princess Big Mac instead, and that’s completely natural, since her guilt and grief, although predictable, had gotten no foreshadowing and thus no investment from the watchers (unless comics or fanon).

I don’t know guys. I feel aroused, yet unsatisfied.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Well. I am afraid to say this knowing in the fact I will be most likely blasted or worse made fun of.

I am sorry to say this but for the first time since I watched the show, I've had to stop watching a My Little Pony episode.

I hate to say it, after ten minutes of the most screwed up visuals I have seen in my life (not counting one of the Fallout 3 expansion packs) and my PTSD being tested to the point where I was literally in a flight or fight situation, I had to abort watching the episode.

Don't get me wrong. While I wanted to watch the episode in it's entirity, I was literally close to calling an ambulance due almost going into a severe uncontrolable panic attack due to the visuals triggering my PTSD and bringing back some severe, if not painful memories from my past that I wanted to forget.

I know this may sound a little farfetched and a bit weird, but I have seen episodes where I got angry, cried and cheered. But never, in my life I have had to stop watching an episode due to my mental health going heywire.

The full thoughts on the episode are now available to view on my new blog post here. Its a little on the short side though.

Edited by rjrgmc28
  • Brohoof 2

Wow, I can't even begin to imagine what living with PTSD is like, but that's harrowing to hear about.
Truly sorry that you had to go through that, both in the past and in the present. :(

Hopefully you can get through this episode one day. 

• Brohoof 1

Howdy all!

Great episode.

Tabitha St.Germain as Princess Luna was freaking awesome! :yay:

The dreams were pretty interesting to say the least.

Glad ol Nightmare Moon made a cameo even though it was a dream :lol:

Ponies going all Rainbow on her=Priceless

Princess Mac was HILARIOUS

Angel Bunny a wear-bunny

RD & AJ going Power Pony.

Glad Spike The Knight returned.

Derpy Muffins a GIANT.

It does reminded me of the Nightmare arc of the comics shrunk into an episode.

(Highly recommend reading that arc)

Overall it was fun!

• Brohoof 1

Well. I am afraid to say this knowing in the fact I will be most likely blasted or worse made fun of.

I am sorry to say this but for the first time since I watched the show, I've had to stop watching a My Little Pony episode.

I hate to say it, after ten minutes of the most screwed up visuals I have seen in my life (not counting one of the Fallout 3 expansion packs) and my PTSD being tested to the point where I was literally in a flight or fight situation, I had to abort watching the episode.

Don't get me wrong. While I wanted to watch the episode in it's entirity, I was literally close to calling an ambulance due almost going into a severe uncontrolable panic attack due to the visuals triggering my PTSD and bringing back some severe, if not painful memories from my past that I wanted to forget.

I know this may sound a little farfetched and a bit weird, but I have seen episodes where I got angry, cried and cheered. But never, in my life I have had to stop watching an episode due to my mental health going heywire.

I'll explain more on my recap post later. I just need some time to recover.

That's totally understandable. I hope that you recover soon from that incident. Can't imagine how it is to live with it.

Stay strong. :)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well finally a full on Luna episode and it was completely Lunaception when they all slept at the same time and she connected the dreams. Reminded me too much of that Gravity Falls episode Dreamscaperers....

Lukewarm ending though, I expected the entire village to tell her to stop feeling bad for herself that would of been a more grand way of ending it all. I mean that was a really fast way to end a guilt trip, would of been more convincing if the entire village told her they all forgave her and she had nothing to worry about.

Also this was a good time to bring out Pipsqueak her one and true fan to save the day or something.

sig-3928795.Pipsqueak_Pirate_Costume_ID_

Also where was Celestia? You would think she would also be an important figure to relieve Luna of her guilt, I mean she locked her sister away for 1000 years in the moon sisterly love was very much needed here.

sad_celestia__com___by_darklight02-d7qdp

No Luna, it was my fault that you became Nightmare Moon, I should share the guilt with you.

Entire village: Sorry Luna that we didn't pay attention to you, we are all to blame for forgeting about you. We should all share the guilt.

I was half hoping they would do a big group hug to end this fate as well. Heck why not a whole village hug since this is the dream world and they can make that happen.

934988__safe_princess+luna_animated_scre

NOOOOO TOO MANY PONIES TO GUILT I CAN'T TAKE THEM ALL

Twilight: The Tantabus is weakening! Hit it now girls!

Main_ponies_activated_the_Elements_of_Ha

That was the first time I saw one of the two sisters sleeping though.

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 1

Did this episode remind anyone else of the Nightmare Rarity comic?

Yes. The part with the ponies having nightmares gave me a strong impression of that story arc. Maybe the story would have been a bit better if it had been an actual adaptation of it.

• Brohoof 2

Guys. Sailor moon big mac transformation. Giant Derpy. Flutterbat returns. Filthy Rich being awesome. Conjoined BonBon and Lyra. Giant winged Scoots. Princess Luna backstory.
For sure one of my favorites so far, along with Lost Treasure of Griffonstone and Slice of Life.

• Brohoof 2

Princess Big Mac, Giant Derpy... what's drug did they use to writing this episode @@?. Nah I like awkward episode with some good moral so I think this episode is very good. What this episode lacks? I hope to see Pinkamenia with cupcake ;)) but there are too many character in this ep make it overloaded already so I cant complain... No Nightmare Star... I see ;))

By a way... LyraxBonBon reminded me of Hellraiser movie... too disturbing

I think some critics will say this ep is "meh" but I call it "awesome"

Scott... I hate you cuz you wrote one of most horrible episode in mlp history amd I still think Cutie Map is good becuz of Larson... But now, you redeemed yourself. You make me love Luna more, Thanks Scott :3

Well, considering this was kind of a mid-season finale of sorts, I think the occasion called for a big episode, and that's exactly what we got. Actually, season 5 has been so full of fan service by the half way point that it's amazing. Still, I think an extra dose was needed to tide us over since we only have the latest EQG, as well as cons and new fan content to look forward to for at least the next couple months. The odds of me attending BronyCAN just increased considerably with the announcement of the latest hiatus. Oh well, as long as we eventually get a Rarity episode all is well. I wouldn't say no to a proper Applejack and/or a proper Fluttershy episode either.

I laughed so hard at the scene with the flowers in RD's dream, I found that so funny :lol: . I also liked big macs part in the episode I found that to be vary funny as well. Overall I really enjoyed this episode 5/5  

• Brohoof 1

Well, it's about bloody time we had an episode like this! It was Luna-riffic!

There was some good creativity in the dream sequences. It also kind of makes sense that the main method the Tantabus uses to attack ponies is to create monsters, since its role in Luna's guilt dream was to turn her into the monstrous Nightmare Moon. You could argue that it wasn't even a villain, just a creature doing what it was created to do but growing beyond its original boundaries and therefore threatening everything.

There was a great start, In Medias Res, used far too little on the show, in my opinion.

The emotion journey that Luna goes on through this episode was really well portrayed. It showed she still bitterly regrets her actions as Nightmare Moon and the suffering it caused others, and that she keeps reminding herself of it so that it never happens again... in perhaps the most heartrending way imaginable... she willingly relives it as a nightmare of her own devising each and every night!

In the end, Twilight manages to convince her that she has changed, and Luna decides she can forgive herself, freeing herself from her self-imposed punishment, thereby removing the Tanabus's main purpose, and allowing her to draw it back into herself.

All around, a great episode!  :comeatus:

• Brohoof 2