Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S05:E13 - Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?

Jeric

S05:E13 - Do Princesses Dream of Magical Sheep?  

318 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

In season 1, Applejack got onto Rarity for focusing more on the small stuff than the stuff that matters, and she did just that... Applejack, you're a hypocrite.

Rarity's normal dream was creepy.

Applejack again, if Big Mac could do anything, why couldn't you?

Has anyone ever thought of dreaming that the Tantabus was stopped?

7.5/10

• Brohoof 1

I mean there were so many things there were awesome about it, But seeing the guilt Luna had for turning to the dark side is what really got to me though!, you can't help but feel sorry for her T_T

• Brohoof 1

Despite most people, I thought this episode was just... okay. I had fun watching it, yes, but the repetitive dialogue was pretty off-putting in the beginning, as well as the rushed ending. I liked how Celestia was mentioned at least, but having her in the episode would've been nice. It was great seeing the sisterly bond back in Slice of Life, so having that come back for more serious matters and being a supportive big sister would've been a huge plus.

That being sad, it was funny seeing the different dreams (Rainbow Dash's, omg) and Spike actually being helpful rather than pushed off to the side. I also appreciate the development they added to Luna; guilt and all. Overall, it was good to have before the hiatus, but the missed opportunities hurt the episode in itself.

• Brohoof 1

Lyra-Bon: they're that close.  ;)

I was sort of thinking the same thing with the tantabus or whatever it was called. Looks a lot like Luna's tail or mane. Didn't know she had made it in the beginning, though.  :o

I really like how in its full form, it took the shape of Luna as it marched towards the tear in the dream world. I thought that was very visually stunning, and cleverly designed. That really made the impact of it being Luna's monster and only hers.

Very observant of Twilight to catch that it responded to her guilt. I just really think this was a well thought out concept.

• Brohoof 3

Wow! I loved everything about this episode :D Princess Big Mac, Lyra/Sweetie Drops CatDog and RD's creepy Barney dream were all great moments! Each time Luna appears in an episode, I love her just a little bit more. I just wish Celestia would be given more screen time as well :(

Wow, this is easily my favorite episode of season 5 so far and makes it onto my list of favorite episodes of the entire series. Everything about it was perfection to me. I loved that we got to see just how Luna enters dreams, and apparently she does so in the form of astral projection.

I really liked how Luna's character evolved here, how she finally let go of her guilt. It was so tragic to hear that she created the Tantabus with the specific purpose of giving her the same nightmare every night so she'd never be able to forgive herself... that was heartbreaking.

It was neat seeing what was going on inside the heads of the mane six, their dreams were very fitting for each character. Then there's the Tantabus that came in and played their own minds against them, using the things they love to hurt them; or in Rainbow's case, giving her a horrifying reversal. Now it may just be me, but the Tantabus gave me a very distinct Freddy Krueger vibe...

The Tantabus itself was very interesting. It reminded me of the second episode where Nightmare Moon stalked the mane six through the Everfree Forest in the form of mist. Since it's the personification of Luna's guilt and her self-imposed punishment, it only makes sense that it looks like Nightmare Moon's mane. I like how it became a dark reflection of Luna by the end and it was doubly neat for me personally to see that since, believe it or not, I created an OC a long time ago that looks almost exactly like the dark reflection. I also get the feeling that the Tantabus is the closest we'll get to the Nightmare Forces being show canon.

Now for the fun of the collective dream. Lyra and Bon Bon becoming the greatest CatDog reference since the Simpsons did it, and then there's giant Derpy which... was just awsome, even more so when BeefSpike rode her into battle. It was neat seeing Twilight recreate the library to attack the Tantabus with books. It was also cool seeing FlutterBat return; which almost seems like the physical manifestation of her fury, righteous or otherwise. I got yet another Nightmare on Elm Street vibe; particularly Dream Warriors where the characters were lucid dreaming and using that to their advantage against Freddy Krueger. Now, they obviously failed, but this is where Ponyville succeeded. Using their power over the dream to collectively help take down the Tantabus. Filthy Rich went all Scrooge McDuck on its ass; Scootaloo growing her wings and the coup d'grace of them all; Princess Macintosh! Finally, Princess Macintosh is a thing! That was easily my favorite part of the entire episode. #BestPrincess

• Brohoof 1

Princess Luna, Sunset Shimmer would like to have a word with you...

That's certainly true. Sunset Shimmer also faced the same issue of accepting forgiveness from others and then forgiving herself. (Disclaimer: not sure if the self-forgiveness has happened yet, but I think it has.) For that matter, Spike had the same lesson in Equestria Games. He was depressed not so much because of how others felt but because of how he felt he had let himself down. I think a lot of us relate to that. Or at least I do.

Oh man, now THAT was an episode.

Loved it very much, especially the way the writer/animators were clearly having fun in the final 3rd.

I also got a bit misty eyed when they showed the amount of guilt Luna still felt over the NM fiasco. 

It was quite deep, and grounded her character even more. Now we need a Celestia focused episode.

• Brohoof 1

I thought this episode was really amazing. The whole dream and nightmare perspective throughout the episode. The Tantabus was a really interesting villain that the mane 6 and Luna had to face. It was great seeing Luna being in the episode and also getting development for her character. Each dream the mane 6 had was pretty cool and pretty interesting to see what goes on in their dreams. I especially liked Pinkie's dream where she could jump to different locations and we saw some old places we haven't seen in quite a while. The entire town dream sequence was amazing and so much was going on for everypony. I liked the many references they had from the library and the power ponies and more during the battle against the Tantabus. I especially died laughing and freaked out when Big Mac had a unicorn's horn and then became Princess Big Mac  :lol:. I liked how Luna was able to forgive herself for the sins of her past. To me it felt like a good step up in her development as a character for her thinking that she couldn't be forgiven after the whole Nightmare Moon incident. All in all I really enjoyed this episode and the first half of season 5 was pretty well done. I can't wait for the other half of season 5 when it comes out sometime later this year. 

(edited)

What a dream that every-pony had today. That was scary!  :o

There are some potential spoilers in the episode during a dream of first and second.

I think that's a good episode to me during at the end with Princess Luna saved it.  :)

Edited by Allen

Princess Luna, Sunset Shimmer would like to have a word with you... PMV- Princess Luna "My Past is Not Today": http://youtu.be/vV2GcfsK1hs

Ffffffffffff- THIS is why Sunny needs to return to Equestria, Sunbutt forgives her, and passes her to Luna, as an apprentice- these two could learn and grow, mutually, off each other, becaus they're so similar
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm a little confused.  Some here say that there will be a hiatus starting now, but I've seen a couple of sites, including this one:

http://www.sidereel.com/my_little_pony_friendship_is_magic/season-5/episode-14

that say that Episode 14, "Rotten Applejack" airs on July 18. 

Where does the notion of the hiatus starting now come from?

Wearing my "I'm a Princess, are you a Princess too?"  T-shirt.  FABULOUS EPISODE!

... Oh, well.  On the other hand, that gives me more time to watch Game of Thrones, which I just bought.  Unlike most people on the planet, I've never seen it.  Got the 1st disc on Netflix and was totally taken with it. 

Edited by Foliha

I feel like my reaction to this episode mirrors the response many had to Tanks for the Memories a few months or so ago, in that I see and respect what the episode was trying to go for... but really wish it'd done a better job. Heaven knows Luna has a mountain of guilt weighing her down, but I wish it'd been handled with a little more subtlety or depth. And in a way that involved her sister for that matter, because I'm sure Celestia and Luna should've had some kind of long talks or counseling sessions about exactly what this episode was addressing :confused:. Forgiving oneself is incredibly hard, and it's a skill I believe is important to learn and teach to everybody, but teaching it through Luna weeping and berating herself for twenty minutes only for Twilight to go "Luna you don't have to feel bad no mo" just didn't really do anything for me.

That said though, the episode was really fun when it wasn't trying to take itself quite so seriously. Lots of the little gags succeeded (RD wanting to be hardcore but the Tantabus not letting her, Filthy Rich flying around on a cloud of bits being the hero the 1% needs, everything involving Spike) and the visuals were great too. While it had a different vibe from the dreamscapes in previous episodes like Sweetie Belle Toils, you could tell that the crew had fun using that setting to make everything more cartoon-y than usual. There was some stuff I didn't like here either (Alicorn Big Mac had me rolling my eyes until they went all out and did a full magical girl transformation with it, "YOU CAN DO ANYTHING CAUSE IT'S A DREAM!!!!" being repeated over and over) but it didn't really keep me from enjoying the mayhem.

So yeah, mixed bag from me. Not going to say that I didn't like the episode, but I do think it could've been a lot better.

• Brohoof 2

I don't think I can say enough good about this episode, every single moment was pretty much "No...no they didn't...they can't...OMG THEY DID" The Lyra / Bonbon hybrid, princess  big mac, scootaloo flying again, the giant derpy as spikes steed, multiple references to past episodes like bats and power ponies, the sad story of Luna's self punishment, it all worked so well. At least in the top 3 episodes for this season so far for me

• Brohoof 1

I'm a little confused.  Some here say that there will be a hiatus starting now, but I've seen a couple of sites, including this one:

http://www.sidereel.com/my_little_pony_friendship_is_magic/season-5/episode-14

that say that Episode 14, "Rotten Applejack" airs on July 18. 

Where does the notion of the hiatus starting now come from?

Wearing my "I'm a Princess, are you a Princess too?"  T-shirt.  FABULOUS EPISODE!

I am also a bloody princess now.

It's pretty confirmed by Hasbro. They said it on their Twitter. Whatever you saw there, is false.