Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why have there never been any female dragons shown?

ggg-2

Actually, there was a movie with Christian Bale awhile back called Reign of Fire that deposited an interesting reversal on this. That dragons were actually almost all female and that there is one male that fertilizes the eggs they lay as he flies around the globe.

I have heard some particular depictions and species of dragons where things are similar to that, most of the dragons in the Dragon Age series are female if I remember correctly especially the really nasty ones.

• Brohoof 1

I have heard some particular depictions and species of dragons where things are similar to that, most of the dragons in the Dragon Age series are female if I remember correctly especially the really nasty ones.

Nah, almost all of them are male. The "True" looking dragons with wings and massive size are the lone females, but there are hordes of small Male drakes that nest around them and fight for the right to mate with them. (the wingless dragons that you can fight easily)

270px-Creature-Drake.jpg

well, I guess Fluttehulk is an embodiment of all female stereotypes, if that's the case

That's beside the topic. We're talking dragons here. While most ponies are shown as diverse, variably flawed and strong characters, dragons are more monolithic in flaws and limited in personality. Not helping is how "Dragon Quest" framed the pony/dragon dichotomy within the implied context of gender division, after one of the species involved had been developed as normalizing a predisposition to negative tendencies. Flutterhulk was not part of this context and is a complete outlier as far as this conversation is concerned.

my headcannon: Dragons are a highly male-dominating species and grow up in a society where females are treated as property. Male dragons like to hide and protect their property, so the females are often not visible. This is why the dragons are displayed as mainly being brutish- no real female influence within the society.

Celestia is distressed by this, being a female ruler, and seeks to change this. At much danger and peril, she finds one of these female dragons, befriends her, and shares her plan. The female dragon, Spike's mother, agrees to give Celestia her dragon egg. Celestia intends for the dragon to be raised in the royal castle, under her gentle guidance, to become a "noble dragon", and eventually become a bridge between Equestia and the rest of the dragons. Her plans changed slightly when spike hatched at the hooves of young twilight sparkle, but spike's ultimate destiny as an agent of change for dragon society remains intact.

Doesn't that sound awesome?! :wub: It certainly would give his character a boost!

Won't happen. It involves a Spike centric story arc that is actually well thought out and would involve Spike being something other than a screw-up.

Sorry.