Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have there been any Teenage-Looking Ponies?

Will Guide

Okay, so we know the CMC and all the other little foals are physically and mentally the children ponies of Equestria, The Mane 6 and everypony else are physically the adults of Equestria, but have there been any ponies characters onscreen that look like they're between Childhood and Adult Hood?

The only ones I can think of are some flashbacks involving Cadence and maybe a few involving Shining Armor but other than that I can't think of anypony. We might see more though if we have a Generation 4.5 or if Generation 5 ends up being a sequel to FIM.

The Mane Six are teens, they have been said to be between the age of 15-16 Pinkie Pie being the youngest and Fluttershy the oldest

need proof? here you go

Edited by Snowflake Frostflame
  • Brohoof 1

Actually, looking up on real life horses, after their first 4 years of life as yearlings, they're considered adults so they would be no teenage years in the same way we humans do.

I also remember that despite the "adult ponies" like the Mane 6 being physically like human adults, the ponies in the show have the mentality of human teenagers. Well that would explain why Twilight became an teenager in the "human world" of Equestria Girls

If you ask me how old they are, I would answer "with the equivalent of a young child or matured adult" rather than an actual number

Actually, looking up on real life horses, after their first 4 years of life as yearlings, they're considered adults so they would be no teenage years in the same way we humans do.

I also remember that despite the "adult ponies" like the Mane 6 being physically like human adults, the ponies in the show have the mentality of human teenagers. Well that would explain why Twilight became an teenager in the "human world" of Equestria Girls

If you ask me how old they are, I would answer "with the equivalent of a young child or matured adult" rather than an actual number

I'm pretty sure real life horses don't age the same way as the Equestrian Ponies

no one actually knows for sure but judging from what I've seen watching each episode they age at the same rate as human do  

The Mane Six are teens, they have been said to be between the age of 15-16 Pinkie Pie being the youngest and Fluttershy the oldest

need proof? here you go

I don't think so, Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy already have a job. In my opinion they are ~20.

I don't think so, Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy already have a job. In my opinion they are ~20.

anyone's opinion is valid until their true ages are confirmed

I use to think they were 18, until I saw that video.....

Edited by Snowflake Frostflame

We've never seen any ponies that act or live as human teenagers do. None of the Mane 6 are in school, none live with their parents and all have careers. If you're a human, and do all those things, you're an adult. You can't use EQG as support because several "teen" characters in the movie are adults in the series. EQG stands alone and that's fine. I don't think Equastria has teens as we know them.

I'd also argue that ages mean little and it's better to judge them by what they are doing with their lives and how they act. If we assume Miss. Cheerilee, Cadence and Shining Armor are adults how do they look or act any different than the Mane 6? Answer: they don't and aren't.

Edited by Nature's Spell

Well I have been informed that the mane 6 are teenagers, however when you want a pony that looks more like a teenager it's tough, because that depends how you think a typical teenager looks, I always thought Vinyal Scratch looked like a teenager but that could just be me.

The mane six are supposed to be teens. In Equestria, it looks like young ponies go to work at a very young age. On the plus side, it also appears that Equestrians enjoy more freedom overall, with a bit of a rent in kind system where ponies are tasked with providing services in exchange for shelter, and so, are probably not slaves to a structured 9-5 system for the most part.

Fluttershy has to make sure the animals are all well and taken care of. Rainbowdash is in charge of the weather. Pinkie Pie plans parties and sometimes works at Sugarcube Corner. Twilight is the pony to look up if anypony wants a book. Applejack has farm duties. Rarity periodically designs dresses, and places orders for them, and so, is probably the busiest of them all, or possibly tied with Applejack for busiest. However, once they finish their daily tasks, they're free to do what they wish, and Rarity may be able to close the shop whenever she wishes, as long as she sells a certain amount of dresses.

My headcanon includes a partial municipal dividend for citizens to be able to support themselves, with the exception of those whose service produces something to sell, in which case they're entitled to the fruits of their labour as long as they sell it at a reduced cost, and with no overhead costs, there's no reason for prices to be marked up, hence why goods are often sold for a small amount of bits.

I think it would be hard to pin down what characters are supposed to be teenagers in the show. After all, where are the majority of human teenagers? High school. What does Equestrian society not appear to have? High schools. I could easily see the mane six technically being teens, because without being sent through 4-12 years of secondary education (if not more), they can enter the work force much earlier. However, I don't think Equestrian society has a real concept of the adolescent phase we consider to be the teenage years. You just are an adult or a foal, and that's that.

To be honest, I think that the mane 6 actually are teenagers, or at least still are, but are close to aging around their 20s.

The pony body thing is pretty weird, because most of them have the same size and I can swear that they are all different ages.

Spitfire, for one, seems to me like a pony in her early 30s while Rainbow Dash and the rest are around 17-19. It's very hard to tell, but I must say that I see it in their personalities and how much they seem to have experienced.

We've seen baby ponies, fillies, mid-age and elders, clearly designed according to their ages.

But aside from the clearly younger and older ones, we haven't seen anything but the basic teen-age/young-adult/adult pony design.

Which makes it pretty clear that there are no such thing as a teen-age design for them. They just basically look like The mane 6 from their teens to their 40-50s, if I got to take a guess.

But who really knows? Gotta ask Lauren to really find out.

The show has never made any comment on the exact ages of the ponies, except that Fluttershy is a year older than Pinkie Pie. We saw both Shining Armour and Cadance as what looked like teenagers (or at least, at a stage between the ages of the Cutie Mark Crusaders and adulthood, it seemed) in A Canterlot Wedding.

The Mane 6 look the same, in style and size, as Twilight's parents do. Since those two can definitely be presumed to be adults, with at least one fully grown, married child, I think it is safe to say that the Mane 6 are adults, albeit perhaps new ones, say in their early twenties in human terms.

• Brohoof 2

The show has never made any comment on the exact ages of the ponies, except that Fluttershy is a year older than Pinkie Pie. We saw both Shining Armour and Cadance as what looked like teenagers (or at least, at a stage between the ages of the Cutie Mark Crusaders and adulthood, it seemed) in A Canterlot Wedding.

The Mane 6 look the same, in style and size, as Twilight's parents do. Since those two can definitely be presumed to be adults, with at least one fully grown, married child, I think it is safe to say that the Mane 6 are adults, albeit perhaps new ones, say in their early twenties in human terms.

I totally agree, well said! I know when pressed the writers have talked obliquely about how old (mature is a better word) the mane 6 are. However, in the canon nothing points to them being anything but young adults.

I thought about this one thing though... The Princesses must be old as wet hay but they still look pretty damn fresh. I can bet that Celestia is way older than Granny Smith and yet she looks like she's the freshest young mare ever alive and well. We can also clearly see that Luna is younger than Celestia. Since little sister AND their looks, AND their personalities. It all makes sense there. Everything except for their manes who magically turned magical once they got older. Question then would be, how much younger is Luna??? How much older is Celestia? Celestia was twice as big as Luna before Luna got her sparkly mane, and Celestia is clearly 3 times as big as the average pony.

Twilight kinda grew once she became an Alicorn, her neck got longer and everything... Still, I haven't seen much of a difference after that one episode where she actually becomes a Princess, now she basically looks like before again, but with wings added to her.

Is that because the Princesses have Alicorn magic that they look so young??

Cause we've seen Cadance as a teen, foal-sitting Twilight.. Now she's a little taller and slimmer than the average pony. Though she looked like the average as a teen/young adult. It's quite the mystery, that.

Edited by rosenflickan

@rosenflickan I've always felt that Alicorn size was determined by length of service, more or less. Celestia largest and oldest and Twilight smallest and youngest with Luna and Cadance in the middle. Does this mean Twilight will keep growing? Yes but we may never see that on the show.

Edited by Nature's Spell

I don't believe the Mane Six are any younger than 18 years old.

Most of them are at least in their early twenties, Rarity possibly mid twenties.

After all you can see from a flashback that Cheerilee and Rarity were in the same class in school.

And I'm CERTAIN Cheerilee is no teenager. We see a picture of her 80s styled, braces wearing self. And if you look at the comics, you see her that way at the prom that Shining and Cadence attend, along with a pink-haired, teenaged Mayor Mare (another pony we all know is no teenager, though we know she dyes her mane grey, probably to look more distinguished).

EDIT:

My thoughts on ages, youngest to oldest:

Pinkie Pie

Rainbow Dash

Twilight Sparkle

Fluttershy

Applejack

Rarity

EDIT 2:

And now that I think about it, wouldn't that flashback of young Big Mac (during Applejack's cutiemark story) be him as a teen? She would be around the age of the cutiemark crusaders, maybe a little younger IIRC. But bottom line, he was obviously bigger than any other foal we've seen. As tall as more adult ponies. He either hit his growth spurt early (not impossible) or his was a young teenager.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 1

Simple answer... fluttershy. She is what you would expect a teenager to look like. She is not that much older than the rest of the gang, who in the flashback episode look very similar to the CMC. Since we can assume she is the oldest, she is what a teenager would most likely look like since she grew up to be of normal height and build compared to other ponies.

• Brohoof 1

Well, to me: Fluttershy's appearance in the flashbacks of The Cutie Mark Chronicles looks different and older than the rest of the Mane Six's appearances. This leads me to believe that a teenage pony would most likely look like what Fluttershy looked like. Plus, it has been stated in the past that Fluttershy is one year older than Pinkie Pie, so we know Fluttershy is older than at least one member of the main cast; the rest is still unknown.

i personally like to think the mane6 are more along the lines of 16-18

This. All of this. It just seems like ponies are like animals in our world, which reach adulthood earlier than us. I think M6 are each physically teenagers. They're just considered adults in the pony society.

I would have gone to the Digibro video but @Snowflake Frostflame beat me to it. ;P

It's pretty much accepted that the Mane 6 are close to teen age. It's not completely obvious because teen to middle-aged ponies all share a common model, but when you look at Equestrian society and how different it is from ours, it becomes more believeable that many of the adults in the show may actually be younger than we think they are.

This is the closest we've seen to actual teenagers in the show, since I can infer that adolescence as a social construct does not exist in Equestria the same way it does in the real world because of the different culture. Notice that they are the same size as most of the show's adults, and the one on the left looks like a Rainbow Dash recolor.

640px-Pony_teens_S2E19.png

• Brohoof 3