Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Where are the teenage ponies?

Guest90210

Something that has always bugged me about MLP is how big of a visual gap there is between the ponies of the show.

We've seen foals, "adult" ponies, and elderly ponies. But we've never seen any that appear to be inbetween foals and adults in terms of size and maturity.

Let's start off with what we do know:

Lauren Faust has stated that the Mane 6 are young adults with a maturity level anywhere between 12-18 years of age.

Ux4fgwr.png

Fluttershy stated that she is a year older than Pinkie Pie. In "Cutie Mark Chronicles", she visually appears to be more mature than every other filly in her class. Did she just grow faster than the others? This is the closest we've seen to a "teenage pony".

maxresdefault.jpg

It's hinted in "Pinkie Pride" that Rainbow Dash is 21 years old as her birthday cake has 21 candles. This is consistent with the lifestyle of the ponies in the show. The Mane 6 are all out of school, all have jobs or occupations of some sort that a normal adult would have, and all live in their own residence by their own means. They display the intelligence of someone who's at the very least a young adult

If we are to follow the traditional time period in which people mature to the point of living independently, we can presume based off this that the Mane 6 are anywhere between 17-22 years of age in "human years". In Equestria Girls, when Twilight goes through the portal, she transforms into a being who appears to be either 17 or 18 years of age as she, along with the rest of the Mane 6, are portrayed as late high school students.

As for the CMC and other similar ponies, they appear to be anywhere between the ages of 7-12. Equestrian schooling seems to finish at the basic level after the human equivalent of elementary school as no "middle" or "high school" equivalents are ever mentioned. This makes sense because in Equestrian society, ponies learn their special talents (cutie marks) around this age, making further schooling largely unnecessary. The equivalent of college seems to be present, albeit as an extension of their studies in whatever talent they possess.

But where are the "teenage ponies", the ones inbetween foals and adult ponies? An argument could be made that the Mane 6 are actually around 14-16 years old, but this still doesn't explain why ponies between the ages of the Mane 6 and the CMC are never seen.

A few theories/explanations/possibilities that may be the cause for this:

Theory 1: Around the age of 12-15, ponies undergo a massive growth spurt, quickly going from appearing like foals to appearing like adults. The reason "teenage ponies" aren't seen is because they don't stay in such a visual state for long. This would also draw a parallel with how real horses grow - they mature rapidly from child to adult.

Theory 2: Some of the ponies in the show are meant to be representative of teenage ponies, however the art style and constant usage of templates causes them to appear similarly sized as adults

Theory 3: The writers/designers simply never wanted to design teenage ponies, and they leave the ponies ages up in the air on purpose

-------

What are your thoughts on the matter?

• Brohoof 2

We saw Twilight as a "teen" once in a past-tense montage, but yeah, now that you mention it, where are the skateboarding dudebros and cheerleading valley girls of the race? Do all village scenes take place while high school is in session? I know you can only touch on so many things in 22 minutes of airtime, but it is an interesting point. What about the comic books, do they show any?

• Brohoof 2

Cadence was a teenager when she foalsat Twilight

Hmm. I suppose she could be considered a teenager there, but she looks more similar to the Mane 6's ages than what I had in mind. I'm thinking of ponies along the lines of this:

my_teenage_pony_by_kilala97-d6z4jke.jpg

There was a comic about Shining Armor and Cadance in high school.

Ahh, good catch. According to that comic's cover, Shining Armor & Cadence were seniors in that comic which would place them at age 17 or 18, which is around the age of the Mane 6 currently. The thing is though, the comic seems to have some sort of continuity error. Look at the cover of the comic:

MLP01.jpg

Moondancer is listed as a Senior, in the same class (and presumably the same age) as Shining Armor & Cadence. Yet in "Amending Fences", she attended the same school (and is presumably similarly aged) as Twilight. So how old is she really? The comic says she's about as old as Shining Armor. The show implies she's around Twilight's age. Also, it's strange how the presence of any sort of high school is never mentioned in the show.

• Brohoof 3

I'd believe that the Mane 6 are in their late teens, somewhere between 17 and 20 now, given their mental age and maturity through the seasons. They started in the mid-teens.

As for why characters with mental ages in the teens can be in adult roles, consider that high school has never been depicted in Equestria, aside from the canonically dubious comics. Also consider the real world: high school in Western society didn't always exist. In the pre-industrial and early industrial era, teenagers learned trades and became apprentices. Only with the onset of mandatory schooling in the early 20th century did high school become a big part of our culture, and teenage culture in and of itself didn't distinguish itself from that of kids and adults until after WWII.

Young adults become independent at later ages with each passing generation for reasons such as social systems and economics. These days, it's pretty much unreasonable to expect an American young adult to leave his parents' house until he's about 25.

In this case, it's better to imagine Equestria as a pre-industrial society. Any suggestions that it's more advanced are merely for the writers' convenience.

We saw Twilight as a "teen" once in a past-tense montage, but yeah, now that you mention it, where are the skateboarding dudebros and cheerleading valley girls of the race? Do all village scenes take place while high school is in session? I know you can only touch on so many things in 22 minutes of airtime, but it is an interesting point. What about the comic books, do they show any?

There were two valley girls in "Putting Your Hoof Down", and interestingly enough, they share the adult pony model.

maxresdefault.jpg

Are you all forgetting Big Mac in the Cutie Mark Chronicles?

Filly_Applejack_leaving_Sweet_Apple_Acres_S1E23.png

Young_Big_McIntosh_S1E23.png

That being said, they do seem to be rare...

You could say Big Mac isn't even that much older than Applejack here. He has a uniquely large build, similar to how Fluttershy was taller and skinnier as a foal.

Edited by Wind Chaser
  • Brohoof 3

I'd believe that the Mane 6 are in their late teens, somewhere between 17 and 20 now, given their mental age and maturity through the seasons. They started in the mid-teens.

As for why characters with mental ages in the teens can be in adult roles, consider that high school has never been depicted in Equestria, aside from the canonically dubious comics. Also consider the real world: high school in Western society didn't always exist. In the pre-industrial and early industrial era, teenagers learned trades and became apprentices. Only with the onset of mandatory schooling in the early 20th century did high school become a big part of our culture, and teenage culture in and of itself didn't distinguish itself from that of kids and adults until after WWII.

Young adults become independent at later ages with each passing generation for reasons such as social systems and economics. These days, it's pretty much unreasonable to expect an American young adult to leave his parents' house until he's about 25.

In this case, it's better to imagine Equestria as a pre-industrial society. Any suggestions that it's more advanced are merely for the writers' convenience.

There were two valley girls in "Putting Your Hoof Down", and interestingly enough, they share the adult pony model.

sig-4479314.maxresdefault.jpg

You could say Big Mac isn't even that much older than Applejack here. He has a uniquely large build, similar to how Fluttershy was taller and skinnier as a foal.

True, True. Your analysis of Equestria being pre-industrial feels pretty spot-on to me.

I think the only way we'll see more than one "teen-looking" pony in action on screen will be if they decide to slowly age the CMCs and show that transition, seeing as there's a large difference in body structure between fillies and mares. 

• Brohoof 2

If there was a "teen" pony around on the cannon show, he/she will probably resemble close to filly Fluttershy's model because as a teen, you'll experience times of weird growth sprouts.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...
On 4/21/2016 at 10:57 PM, Wind Chaser said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Aren't valley girls also in their 'twennehz'?

Also, about your pre-industrial thing, there's this.

IMG_1651.PNG

Edited by Dec Browne
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

CMCs are definitely Teenagers at least. There are plenty of clues that it's been quite a number of years since the beginning of the show. Season five is suggest to be at least 2 years imo. In the finale Nightmare Moon mentioned Celestia has been trapped in the moon for years. Years is suggested to be 3 years and on. Season 1-4 is one year. Season 4 - Season five finale is minimum 2 years. I think season 6 is possibly 2 years as well. Season 7... about a year ... possibly more. Celestia speaks as if it's been a very long time since the show started when she says (all these years.) 

Here's the big one. Season 8. In the first few episodes, 9 months had gone by. By half way through... a year had passed because not only Hearthswarming passed... Changling Girl mentioned Twilight told them about the holiday last year. That means that at least a year has went by since the beginning of season 7... but more than likely... somewhere in between 7 and 8. Then... there was another Heartswarming day at the end of season 8. This means that at the very minimum... a year and nine months have passed in season 8 (They mention 9 months and Heartswarming happens twice in season 8)... but that could be as high as three years.

Conclusion... Minimum like 4-5 years since the show started... however... i think it's been 8-10 years.

Edited by Kadeda

4 hours ago, Kadeda said:

In the finale Nightmare Moon mentioned Celestia has been trapped in the moon for years.

Wait a minute... I don't remember this happening. I'm assuming you got your words mixed up.

2 hours ago, Bas said:

Wasn't it 1000 or 500 years NM was banished for?

Also, don't assume exact continuity in aging for cartoons.

Pretty sure it was millenia which would be for 1000 years. Also I am pretty sure Luna didn't age at all when she was on the moon, hench why she is shorter than her sister.

12 hours ago, Bas said:

Wasn't it 1000 or 500 years NM was banished for?

Also, don't assume exact continuity in aging for cartoons.

1000. I'm talking about the season 5 finale when they go back in time. I think you're confused. Nightmare Moon trapped Celestia in the moon for years... meaning that it's been years since she escaped... aka the first episode. MLP isn't to bad with continuity... it's why I was able to guess these things in the first place.

Edited by Kadeda

22 hours ago, TwilySparky said:

Wait a minute... I don't remember this happening. I'm assuming you got your words mixed up.

Pretty sure it was millenia which would be for 1000 years. Also I am pretty sure Luna didn't age at all when she was on the moon, hench why she is shorter than her sister.

No... happens in the season five finale.

Edited by Kadeda

Probably moved on into different town, somehow I don't expect them to stay in ponyvile due to limited job careers. There is a good chance that not many will stay in the city that they are born into

Edited by R.D.Dash

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...
On 20/4/2016 at 17:30, darkshy said:

Cadence era una adolescente cuando parió en Crepúsculo.

cadencia_adolescente_por_jennieoo-d8par84.png

I think that at that time she was at least 17/20 years old.

On 20/4/2016 at 21:17, PE Brony said:

¿Se están olvidando de Big Mac en Cutie Mark Chronicles?

post-25639-0-66096400-1461204994_thumb.png

post-25639-0-37984600-1461205057_thumb.png

Dicho esto, parecen ser raros...

Dont forget Applejack

Applejack_adolescente_ID_T6E23.png

• Brohoof 1