Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Did you write songs as a teenager?

Reecejackox

More so in my Elementary years than teens. I Was a big fan of Weird Al growing up, so I had my take on parodies from time to time. I had a song about Godzilla to We Will Rock You, and another about someone whose pants are falling down to the Achy Breaky Heart song.

Then there were a few Irish drinking song shanty things I wrote from inspiration of a roleplay play on here. Something along the lines of a soldier's misdeeds while on leave. ;)

• Brohoof 1

I wrote lyrics with a vague idea of what the melody might sound like, but they weren't very good. I still do on occasion but nothing will ever become of them unless I commit to learning an instrument like guitar or piano/keyboard that's ideal for songwriting.

• Brohoof 1

Definitely have and still do! I discovered my likes and interests in writing song lyrics as a teen. Starting with poetry lessons for English class. Never was good at writing poetry when I first started since my style is more-how do I explain this-rhythmic straightforward rather than metaphorically as poetry commonly is. I have lots of things going around my head that I sometimes cannot convey in words. I would have music or beats playing in my head as I write my lyrics out first before making edits. It’s like going in a trace so it has to be at the exact moment.

So I have to write it all out without thinking about if it would make sense or not. Hence it’s why I’m not so well with my poetry structure because my style usually inconsistently bouncing back and forth with different type of structures instead of sticking with one. Plus to my own experience understanding, poetry takes time to write as the writers needs time to think and dig deep into their emotions in order to convey into words. Song writer as myself needs to be at the moment while writing out my lyrics. Without thinking too much or twice in what I’m putting on my paper. While I do like writing poetry but.. song lyrics is what I’m more good at. Hence it got me started to be interested in writing in general like fiction writing and screenwriting.

• Brohoof 1

I remember writing a couple in a notepad document. I don't remember what those songs were even about, but perhaps that's for the best. :p

• Brohoof 1

I did write songs, which consisted of lyrics set to ‘dummy melodies’ which are vague swatches of music I basically stole and mashed together from existing songs. I still write song lyrics but now I have someone who provides original melodies to write to, and it’s a lot of fun.  

Not so much when I was a teenager.

Anything I did write as a teenager was the equivalent of Mikhail's singing in Drakengard 3. Including the actual singing ability. Which also led to threats of being killed if I tried singing again. :muffins:

Spoiler

But I do enjoy writing songs as a fun little side hobby in the present. I compose music among all my other creative obsessions., So sometimes I like to try and come up with lyrics to go along with everything. Although, they're not actually needed. And it might seem really pretentious, but I also write them in a language I created for some of my work. I also attempt to sing them when I am home alone. Also a better singer than I was when I was a teen. At least I think. And hope. :sealed: