Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why have there never been any female dragons shown?

ggg-2

It's an implementation of social norms. Big + hulking + aggressive = manly, and there was nothing that reinforced this more than the tone of "Dragon Quest". Most dragons in the show, when they are not threats, are poorly characterized stereotypes, on top of being naturally predisposed to evil as shown in "Secret of My Excess". A female character couldn't do much to change that fact anyway.

• Brohoof 4

Well in my opinion it's because fire/giant/big/strength is generally stereotyped as male. Though there is ONE movie (or a set of movies) that breaks this.. Shrek! That's one of the reasons I love Shrek, cause it breaks a lot of stereotypes and goes beyond most movies.

I personally wish they had more female big/hulking characters to show that women can be strong too, but that's just me xD

• Brohoof 2

How do you know we haven't? Can't really tell the gender of the ones that didn't talk, and there were a lot of those in Dragon Quest. :P In fact, according to either the trading cards or the CCG (I don't remember which; Might be both) Crackle - that dragon that conveniently looked like our heroes' ridiculous costume - is female.

• Brohoof 3

For the teenage dragons I think them all being male was to make it so they were primarily a rough all boys gang and more importantly represent Spike's struggle with whether he should pretend act more like a dragon(tough) vs. A pony (gentle). And boys tend to prove themselves tough more often than girls.

• Brohoof 2

Dragons just seem more masculine in general, so this is likely one of the main reasons. They're seen as tough, hulking badasses by a lot of cultures. Also, what others have said before me applies. They are just cardboard cutout stereotype characters for the most part, and females don't fit into their stereotypes.

It is interesting to note though that Lauren Faust has a sketch on Deviantart of a female dragon that could've been implemented in the show. From what I understand, this design was created before Lauren really knew how "scary" and monstrous Hasbro would allow her to create non-ponies, so she went for a more graceful and beautiful design. Honestly, I would prefer if this direction was incorporated instead, as it is a much more unique depiction of dragons. They aren't usually seen in this light in media. 

Here's the design:

Dragon_Sketch.jpg

I hope they decide to use this in the future though. There's always the possibility a dragon like this might show up.

• Brohoof 9

Well, there was mina, but I prefer to think of that comic as non-canon because I find its dragons absurd given how dragons have been presented before.
Nice moral and all, but NOT a good fit for dragons.

Also, humorously, mina looked more masculine than spike in that comic IMO given her face XD

large.png

• Brohoof 1

my headcannon: Dragons are a highly male-dominating species and grow up in a society where females are treated as property. Male dragons like to hide and protect their property, so the females are often not visible. This is why the dragons are displayed as mainly being brutish- no real female influence within the society.

Celestia is distressed by this, being a female ruler, and seeks to change this. At much danger and peril, she finds one of these female dragons, befriends her, and shares her plan. The female dragon, Spike's mother, agrees to give Celestia her dragon egg. Celestia intends for the dragon to be raised in the royal castle, under her gentle guidance, to become a "noble dragon", and eventually become a bridge between Equestia and the rest of the dragons. Her plans changed slightly when spike hatched at the hooves of young twilight sparkle, but spike's ultimate destiny as an agent of change for dragon society remains intact.

Doesn't that sound awesome?! :wub: It certainly would give his character a boost!

• Brohoof 6

my headcannon: Dragons are a highly male-dominating species and grow up in a society where females are treated as property. Male dragons like to hide and protect their property, so the females are often not visible. This is why the dragons are displayed as mainly being brutish- no real female influence within the society.

Celestia is distressed by this, being a female ruler, and seeks to change this. At much danger and peril, she finds one of these female dragons, befriends her, and shares her plan. The female dragon, Spike's mother, agrees to give Celestia her dragon egg. Celestia intends for the dragon to be raised in the royal castle, under her gentle guidance, to become a "noble dragon", and eventually become a bridge between Equestia and the rest of the dragons. Her plans changed slightly when spike hatched at the hooves of young twilight sparkle, but spike's ultimate destiny as an agent of change for dragon society remains intact.

Doesn't that sound awesome?! :wub: It certainly would give his character a boost!

I was thinking something like that for Spike's origins for a while now. That's my head canon now. Thanks, BlueBrony.

• Brohoof 1

The only other dragons we've seen whose genders were discernible were the mean guys in Dragon Quest. But I think the reason those dragons were all boys was to draw a parallel between what Spike was experiencing in that episode, and what a lot of young boys experience in reality when trying to fit in. The dragons were all negative male stereotypes, but not out of lazy writing or sexism on the part of the writers. They purposefully made those dragons stereotypical douchebag bully bros because unfortunately, there is still a prominent cultural normalism that says men are supposed to be tough, gruff, and at least a little mean to each other. Spike wanted to fit in and "be a dragon", but the episode was really about a boy trying to learn how to "be a man". In the end, Spike learned that you don't have to be a jerk to be a dragon, just like you don't have to be a negative male stereotype to be a man.

So that I think is why there were no female dragons in that episode, but it would be neat to see some female dragons in the show, and some more male dragons who are nice like Spike.

Edited by Princess Lona
  • Brohoof 2

M.A Larson says he wants to bring in a dragon by the name of Dim Sum into the show for quite a while now, and she'd look totally adorable with Spike, so maybe it could happen :wub: 

thumb.png​ 932545__safe_solo_oc_oc+only_duckface_ocdim_sum__as_requested_by_m_larson_by_cou

• Brohoof 1

M.A Larson says he wants to bring in a dragon by the name of Dim Sum into the show for quite a while now, and she'd look totally adorable with Spike, so maybe it could happen :wub:

sig-3998384.thumb.png​ sig-3998384.932545__safe_solo_oc_oc%20onsig-3998384.dim_sum__as_requested_by_m_l

From a legal perspective, wouldn't hasbro have to track down the chinese resteraunt that did that anyways and do an agreement with them to avoid any plagiarism complaints? (even if she is already breaking copywrite?)

That being said, thinking about it, it'd be neat to have an episode about "eastern" dragons with asian names XD

From a legal perspective, wouldn't hasbro have to track down the chinese resteraunt that did that anyways and do an agreement with them to avoid any plagiarism complaints? (even if she is already breaking copywrite?)

That being said, thinking about it, it'd be neat to have an episode about "eastern" dragons with asian names XD

I don't know actually, I can't imagine the restaurant would fight all that much considering they discontinued those menus to begin with (from what i recall anyway). even if its something similar and not Dim Sum herself I'd love to see it! Especially if she has an interesting personality that can play off spike. 

Between all the #YesAllPonies vs #NotAllDragons shenanigans and the relegation of dragons to the bottom of the Magical Bucket of Plot Devices, I’d rather they leave these magnificent monsters alone for good.

A strong independent dragoness would break the episode like a sledgehammer. She either has to be greedy and powerful which would make her quite unstoppable. Greedy, powerful, and incredibly stupid, or greedy and incredibly weak, both of which would likely make the (female?) audience a little bit angry. Or she’d be noble, friendly, and powerful, which would break the canon and create another Celestia.

What are you saying? I can still create a compelling and complex character with dragon greed and unique dragon characteristics? Ain’t nobody got time for that!

She either has to be greedy and powerful which would make her quite unstoppable.

I actually have to disagree here. I believe dragons are quite stoppable, by multiple means. Alicorns for example should be powerful enough to defeat a dragon in combat: The tatzlwurm was pretty large, about as much as a dragon, and Cadence and twilight were able to fight it off in combat.

Similiarly, Trickery can easily give you the upper hand when combined with magic: Chrysalis disposed of a very imposing dragon by using Flattery combined with light mental control magic to get it in a vulnerable pose and then Damaged its wing, causing it to become entangled in a volcano.

I think the mane six, working as a team, could handle a dragon so long as they use tactics besides "Throw apples at it AJ!" like Twilight's plan in Dragon shy was (Seriously, WTF girl).

It's an implementation of social norms. Big + hulking + aggressive = manly, and there was nothing that reinforced this more than the tone of "Dragon Quest". Most dragons in the show, when they are not threats, are poorly characterized stereotypes, on top of being naturally predisposed to evil as shown in "Secret of My Excess". A female character couldn't do much to change that fact anyway.

well, I guess Fluttehulk is an embodiment of all female stereotypes, if that's the case

I think that the writers either do not want to make female dragons or they think that Spike does not need a girlfriend other than Rarity. But Spike needs a girlfriend in the show that is a dragon.

Also as Wind Chaser said "Gender Stereotypes."

Probably because it would be more difficult to tell a male and female dragon apart than it would be to tell a mare and stallion apart, it dosen't meant there aren't female dragons and plenty of them but just that it is kind of difficult to tell in a group setting which are the males and females.

• Brohoof 1

Wow the word "stereotype" got thrown around a lot, as well as some unfair implications against the writers. You know can you tell the difference between a male and female crocodile by looking at them? Hell you can't even tell the difference if you look right at the area "where it counts." In fact, a lot of reptiles are not sexually dimorphic to the naked eye.

Of those literally hundreds of dragons during the migration, I think it's a fair bet that they couldn't ALL be bull dragons. How else would they reproduce? Unless this is one of those cases where they somehow reproduce asexually.

Actually, there was a movie with Christian Bale awhile back called Reign of Fire that deposited an interesting reversal on this. That dragons were actually almost all female and that there is one male that fertilizes the eggs they lay as he flies around the globe.

I would assume that all dragons are just kinda tough and mean spirited by nature, kinda like how the gryphons sorta were. It would be nice to see a young dragon that is about Spike's age but have he kinda be like Gilda just not as much of a generic bully, more like a young female dragon that makes a lot of mistakes like Spike but she hates to admit it or something. This could also be a love interest for Spike or just a wonderful new friend for him, that could really make for a good Spike episode I think.

I actually have to disagree here. I believe dragons are quite stoppable, by multiple means. Alicorns for example should be powerful enough to defeat a dragon in combat: The tatzlwurm was pretty large, about as much as a dragon, and Cadence and twilight were able to fight it off in combat.

Similiarly, Trickery can easily give you the upper hand when combined with magic: Chrysalis disposed of a very imposing dragon by using Flattery combined with light mental control magic to get it in a vulnerable pose and then Damaged its wing, causing it to become entangled in a volcano.

I think the mane six, working as a team, could handle a dragon so long as they use tactics besides "Throw apples at it AJ!" like Twilight's plan in Dragon shy was (Seriously, WTF girl).

Yes, that is why I also said she’d have to be incredibly stupid. The moment you create a dragon character who can think her way through and still use the brute force her momma gave her is the moment you create a monster that’s way above an alicorn princess’ paygrade.

As for the anti-dragon fighting techniques:

Chrysalis used flattery against an obviously stupid and arrogant fool and that would also work against any other creature with similar personality (like every strong Wonderbolt ever). Also note that she HAD TO use flattery and deceit, lest she became just another ling on the barbie. If that dragon had really wanted her dead, she’d have been roasted or sealed in like a steamed veggie.

Tatzelwurm is a wild beast with just enough brainpower to sustain its uneventful way of life. Hit it with a big enough stick and it’ll squirm away. Besides, the beast didn’t look all that damaged from those “powerful” attacks and it resurfaced quite fast to squirt its load onto Discord. In other words, it took two alicorns to shoo away a mere mythical earthworm with common cold.

Also, if we’re at the slightly canon things, I quote Luna from The Journal of the Two Sisters: “He looked like he was about to strike, so Celie and I summoned the spell to hold him in place. It held the dragon for about ten seconds, and then he ripped through our magical bonds like they were tissue paper.” The only thing that saved the alicorns’ little party back then was the fact that the writer made this school bully of a dragon into a big, lousy coward.

So we have a humongous, flying, fire breathing, smoke spitting tank that can swim in lava and grind gems with her teeth. Add intelligence, greed, and a vast amount of experience stemming from countless ages of existence (we know they can be ancient because one average dragon can casually take a hundred years long beauty sleep – Dragonshy). Imagine yourself as such a dragon and tell me more about how our brave ponies could defeat you. Aim for victory. No 322 please.

P.S: I never want dragons and ponies to go to a bloody war. I just want them to represent a strong, neutral alternative to friendship and harmony, an alternative that could spice up the story and instill a bit of guilty pride in our little dragon.

The number of dragons we've seen up close and personal has been extremely limited. The number we've seen in the background is huge however, such as the large number we saw migrating in Dragon Quest.

Presumably, there are plenty of females, but we haven't yet had the opportunity to see one get any screentime/voiced lines or anything like that.