Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

8 Year Old Brony?

AspenSwift

So, I was derping around on a brony Minecraft server (crystalempire.se to be exact), and I was chatting with this player.  The player asked how old I was, and I told them.  Then, I asked them how old they were, and they said they were 8.  Not surprising, as tons of kids play the game, but I was surprised that they were playing on a MLP-themed server.  I asked if they were a fan of the show, and the player said they were.  This was really surprising, as I'd always assumed that the youngest fans would be around 10-11.  8 seems ridiculously young.

So, to get to the point, is this normal?  Are kids becoming bronies because of the show, or just so they can try to fit in?  Is an 8 year old actually part of the targeted age group, therefore not making them a brony?

I'm curious, so leave replies please.

• Brohoof 1

I would say, no. I don't think it's normal (in his point of view).

To an adult like you, yes of course it's normal, I would say so even for a non-brony.

But, out of the subject, doesn't Minecraft have an age limit? What if he discovers the dark side of the fandom or something? Props to him for not lying about his age!

• Brohoof 1

Well think about it this way; 8 year olds are part of Minecraft, which is a common internet community. All internet communities are tangled together, in the way that on Minecraft you may see someone with a Anime skin, on a forum you may see a Homestuck avatar, or literally everywhere on the internet, you'll hear people talking about ponies. So when a 8 year old says their a brony, they are suggesting they are part of the internet side of it... Atleast I think. Now if they watch it and like it... Then they probably aren't bronies. But if they watch it, like it, AND take part in the internet community (MlpForums, Derpibooru, FiMFiction) then yes, they are bronies.

Now that's not the same for... let's say... a 16 year old. If they watch the show and like it, they don't have to be part of the internet community to be a Brony. Does that make sense? Because they aren't in the target age group.

• Brohoof 1

When it comes to being identified as a brony, I don't think there are any requirements (besides enjoying the show, of course). If you want to be a brony, regardless of age, you're a brony. So yes, I do think he is a brony.

I'm worried if he stumbles upon the weird stuff though. :adorkable:

Edited by PonyLaces
  • Brohoof 1

@AspenSwift, moving this to Sugarcube Corner, since this pertains to the brony fandom.

Seven year old brother considers himself a brony, knows about the older fans (since I'm an older one), and doesn't care either way.

So, to get to the point, is this normal?  Are kids becoming bronies because of the show, or just so they can try to fit in?  Is an 8 year old actually part of the targeted age group, therefore not making them a brony?

Yes it's normal.
For my brother, he didn't even know/care about bronies when he started watching the show. I'm sure most of them are becoming bronies because of the show.

If, for example, an eight year old girl wants to identify herself as a brony she is a brony. There is not an age restriction on being a fan of the show. 

8 seems ridiculously young.

Why? If anything, we're ridiculously old. 

• Brohoof 5

If that's what he wishes to be known as, I say it's fine. Plus who wants to be the one to spoil a kid's fun, you know?

Of course, I'm not disapproving of an eight year old being a fan at all.  Anyway, an eight year old is much more likely to actually buy the toys and such, therefore keeping the show alive.  So, anyway, I guess the kid can be a brony if he wants, even if he might actually be part of the targeted age group.

Here's a question: should the little girls that the show is made for be a part of the "brony fandom?"  If, say, a five year old girl loves the show, but knows about the brony fandom, is she part of it?

Thanks for the responses!

My two cents:

I don't think kids within the target demographic count as bronies just by watching the show - Unless they want the label, like Gestum said. I'd got the impression "brony" was the word for this periphery demographic fandom specifically.

Also, knowing about doesn't necessarily mean being part of. Personally, I'd sure *hope* there aren't any 8 year old kids on brony sites, because... Well, I don't think I need to explain. :P

A child who is the age of the shows target demographic is a brony? Nah, can't be. XD

(Age ever been a thing for bronies XD)

Edited by Malinter

So, I was derping around on a brony Minecraft server (crystalempire.se to be exact), and I was chatting with this player.  The player asked how old I was, and I told them.  Then, I asked them how old they were, and they said they were 8.  Not surprising, as tons of kids play the game, but I was surprised that they were playing on a MLP-themed server.  I asked if they were a fan of the show, and the player said they were.  This was really surprising, as I'd always assumed that the youngest fans would be around 10-11.  8 seems ridiculously young.

I'm curious, so leave replies please.

It is his target age group, and I'd say he wouldn't be a brony. If he wants to be, then so be it. P.S. If you want to play MC together sometime, PM me  :D

I would say, no. I don't think it's normal (in his point of view).

To an adult like you, yes of course it's normal, I would say so even for a non-brony.

But, out of the subject, doesn't Minecraft have an age limit? What if he discovers the dark side of the fandom or something? Props to him for not lying about his age!

I used to like Minecraft. Not before it got overrun by fanboys and kids who are standing by to be trolled.

I used to like Minecraft. Not before it got overrun by fanboys and kids who are standing by to be trolled.

I sometimes play Minecraft. But by sometimes I mean it's considered non-ocassionally. I would rather play TF2 then Minecraft. But I definitely wouldn't mind having an enderman plush or something sitting on the top of my desk. The only reason I dislike Minecraft is because of those, what I like to call "Kinder bots" on YouTube.

I sometimes play Minecraft. But by sometimes I mean it's considered non-ocassionally. I would rather play TF2 then Minecraft. But I definitely wouldn't mind having an enderman plush or something sitting on the top of my desk. The only reason I dislike Minecraft is because of those, what I like to call "Kinder bots" on YouTube.

Well, that is true.

Another reason to why I don't play it is because I used to play all the time on the Xbox 360; but I suffered a loss from my external hard drive, so I lost all my favorite worlds.

Well, that is true.

Another reason to why I don't play it is because I used to play all the time on the Xbox 360; but I suffered a loss from my external hard drive, so I lost all my favorite worlds.

Yeah, I guess that happens too.