Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rarity's Fake Eyelashes

Daedric Pony

Here's a question: Other than because she's being a drama queen, why might she treat her false eyelashes as such a huge reveal? There are a number of intriguing possibilities raised by this. For example, it could be an indication of her early childhood history, the sort of things her parents do, a life that kept her from being all that vain with her appearance. Maybe she lost her eyelashes due to some childhood accident and has to replace them now.

My guess: she wants to be known as the beautiful pony, but fake eyelashes are not natural beauty.

It would arguably explain some of the ways she insists on her vanity and her femininity, obsessing over every aspect of her appearance. As I said I don't really take the notion all that seriously, but I wouldn't mind seeing it explored in a fanfic. (Of course, Equestria being the utopia it is, they'd accept transponies just as they'd accept anyone else.)

Taking this in consideration, imagine Spike's face when he finds out.

Taking this in consideration, imagine Spike's face when he finds out.

It would depend a great upon a variety of factors, including how transponies are actually treated in Equestria, how Spike was raised to view transponies, just how much of his attraction to Rarity is dependent upon her physical beauty and how much is her personality and charm, and whether or not he would even care what she was born as, but rather only care about what she is now. Which is to say, he'd be open minded and not care.

Considering we're working with speculation on top of speculation on top of ideas that would never even be considered by the show writers, though, I suppose we're each left up to what we believe would happen. Personally, I think Spike would be initially surprised, but then would decide it didn't matter.

• Brohoof 1

On 4/19/2012 at 1:19 AM, 'Kyronea' said:

Or, and here is a possibility that was tossed around by some people, including myself, that I don't take too seriously since it would never appear on the show: what if Rarity wears false eyelashes because she wasn't born a filly, but was born a colt?

but she's born a filly, not a colt. see: The Cutie Mark Chronicles. had she been born a colt, it would have been made more apparent at that age.

...oh, you meant as in, male trapped in a female's body?

hmm, interesting theory, that. although obsessing over her femininity don't have to neccesarily mean anything. there are people irl who obsess over their own masculinity/femininity, while being perfectly, albeit perhaps a bit too much, secure about their own body. like say, men who try to show off as manly as they're able to, and get ashamed whenever they're caught in a situation in which their femininity would shine through. although this could be linked as confusion about one's own bodyt, too? idk really.

...i seem to have been rambling away over here, again. :P

Edited by Viscra Maelstrom
  • Brohoof 1

but she's born a filly, not a colt. see: The Cutie Mark Chronicles. had she been born a colt, it would have been made more apparent at that age, and i don't think you'd perform a sex-change on a pony that young.

...oh, you meant as in, male trapped in a female's body?

hmm, interesting theory, that. although obsessing over her femininity don't have to neccesarily mean that he's transgender. there are people irl who obsess over their own masculinity/femininity, while being perfectly, albeit perhaps a bit too much, secure about their own sex. like say, men who try to show off as manly as they're able to, and get ashamed whenever they're caught in a situation in which their femininity would shine through. although this could be linked as confusion about one's own sex, too? idk really.

...i seem to have been rambling away over here, again. :P

All of this is very true. I'm mostly repeating an idea I originally encountered through a few Tumblr accounts that I then began to give greater thought to, but you're right: sex reassignment surgery would be fairly difficult to perform on Rarity at such a young age, and if magic could be used to alter her body, why wouldn't she be able to grow her own eyelashes? So it has some flaws and arguably contradicts canon.

Still might be interesting to see some fanfiction exploring the idea though, just as an experiment, that kind of thing.

I'm used to girls covering themselves with makeup and other enhancements (It's a common thing here in Essex), so when i saw those lashes were fake, i was just like: "Wow, she is a proper English girl now"

• 3 years later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

I really like that out of all characters she uses fake eyelashes! It's just one of those details I really love about the show and gives it more depth. :)
Just like Fluttershy and her extensions for her tail. :wub:

It would've been nice if she had regular eyelashes underneath rather than no eyelashes at all. Perhaps she was just born without them though, just like Lil' Cheese was born with them despite being a colt.

• Brohoof 1

On 2012-04-18 at 4:08 AM, Daedric Pony said:

I just noticed her putting them on in S01E26 when they're getting ready. Look.

This completely destroyed Rarity for me (when I first saw it). Taking one of her key attributes and making them fake, changes her character too much to be in the top 10.

It started making me question her hair as well just being a wig? Questions like "what more is fake about her?" keeps popping up in my head. And all that because of this episode. This episode was also written while Lauren Faust was in charge, so it kinda make it official.

• Brohoof 1