Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I just noticed something in Cutie Pox.

Slendermane

While watching Cutie Pox again, I noticed something in the Apple family home.

Posted Image

On the wall behind Applebloom, you see a painting. It is probably just an Equestrian version of "American Gothic", but it could be a portrait of Applejack, Big Mac, and Applebloom's parents. What are your thoughts?

• Brohoof 1

Oh! I remember someone mentionning this when the episode aired. I never checked back and completely forgot about it. They could be their parents. Especially since they seem to be working on some farm.

I think it's just a ponified American Gothic. They're nowhere near the same color as the rest of the family. Now if they were some shade of red-orange-yellow, then we could be onto something.

But in the first episode, the entire apple family is in diffferent colors. And Granny Smith, which (probably) is AJ's grandmother, or atleast very close family, is green.

I think it's just a ponified American Gothic. They're nowhere near the same color as the rest of the family. Now if they were some shade of red-orange-yellow, then we could be onto something.

that doesn't mean anything. raritys mom defies this theory completely.

• 3 years later...

I think that's worth considering but I really don't think it's Applejack's parents. Besides, the ponies in the picture don't match the colo scheme of the rest of the family. I think the creators just thought it would be a nice background painting.

But in the first episode, the entire apple family is in diffferent colors. And Granny Smith, which (probably) is AJ's grandmother, or atleast very close family, is green.

Nevertheless, they have some common features. I noticed it when working on my theory of pony genetics (maybe I'll share it here someday when ready). Here's a picture of Applejack, Big Macintosh, Apple Bloom and Granny Smith together:

The-Apple-Family-my-little-pony-friendsh

Sure, their coats and manes' colors differ. But notice the pattern:

Apple Bloom's mane has the same color as Big Mac's coat. Big Mac's mane has the same color as Applejack's coat. Applejack's mane has the same color as Apple Bloom's coat. And of course they are all siblings. So perhaps the genes for colors can shuffle or permute somehow during inheritance. These are still the same colors, but they apply to different parts of their body hair.

Granny Smith has a different color of her coat, but it still somehow "fits the image" (in the sense of color scheme) – they're all very "apple-like" (I don't know how to describe it better). And from the "Family Appreciation Day" episode we know that when Granny Smith was young, her mane's color was quite similar to Applejack's mane and Apple Bloom's coat color.

There's also a pattern in their irides (plural for iris, the colorful part of the eye) colors: Applejack and Big Bac both have grassy green colors. Apple Bloom has a different color (orange), but still the same as Granny Smith (also orange), so the inheritance seems to work also in this case.

And it is interesting that the inheritance seems to work in a cartoon, since the animators/designers could choose virtually any color for their irides, coats and manes, but somehow they didn't, and all the colors they chose still make a lot of sense from the genetics standpoint (at least to me).

Edited by SasQ
  • Brohoof 1

I've noticed this picture in at least two episodes I think. Not just Cutie Pox but also Apple Family Reunion.

It's possible it's supposed to be both (in universe) a picture of the Apple parents, and (out of universe) an American Gothic gag.

it can also be the founders of Sweet Apple Acres

Didn't Granny Smith found Sweet Apple Acres though? (Family Appreciation Day)

The Apple family, as we can see, do not have a lot of money. So they can't buy a painting like that.

The original painting might be worth a fortune, but you can buy a print of American Gothic for under ten dollars.

And it is interesting that the inheritance seems to work in a cartoon, since the animators/designers could choose virtually any color for their irides, coats and manes, but somehow they didn't, and all the colors they chose still make a lot of sense from the genetics standpoint (at least to me).

To be honest I think you're overthinking that. I think they're mostly just using a palette that reminds people of apples as a fruit. (Yes, there are yellowish varieties of apple, like Golden Delicious, and orange varieties like Cox's Orange Pippin.)