Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

ChikaChan

I'm totally ok with seeing Lightning Dust more as a bad guy. As I've already probably drilled in everyone's brains, I thought Trixie's "redempion" was terribly handled, and seeing her be a bad guy in Rainbow Rocks just further reminds me that she's a lot more fun as a bad guy. But I can easily see Lightning Dust filling that role too

• Brohoof 1

For some reason, I really like this idea. It gives me good vibes. A change of pace from the predictable happily ever after and "let's be friends and make up!" routine of the show.

Then again making Dust more of a jerk may just falsely justify Spitfire's poor judgment and deplorable behavior that helped encourage Dust's ego. Both were being an asses either way, but still.

For the change of pace bit, that's why I liked starlight screaming BE QUITE at twilight so much in the premier: it was so refreshing to see a villain react like you'd expect to being preached at about why they're wrong instead of converting XD

Kind of sad though in that I expect starlight to reform at the end of the season given that there's an outline that looks like her on the S5 poster, and all the other characters on it are "good".

As I've already probably drilled in everyone's brains, I thought Trixie's "redempion" was terribly handled, and seeing her be a bad guy in Rainbow Rocks just further reminds me that she's a lot more fun as a bad guy.

alot of the characters are more fun as villains IMO. Discord was better as a villain IMO, I liked trixie as an antagonist, and I feel the same about Lightning dust.

Ironically, about the only character who I enjoyed seeing redeemed was Gilda, and that's because there was an emotional connection between her and dash, and she had some sympathetic traits to explain away her jerkishness.

On that note, I'd like to see Suri return: its nice having a nega-version of rarity too.

• Brohoof 3

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to see Lightning Dust make a return. Even though she was reckless, unforeseen circumstances (hot air balloon) was what brought her down and Rainbow Dash throwing her under the bus to save face from her involvement with those acts.

I kind of wished they'd had wind rider be related to Lightning dust and that was his motivation in the last episode; His personality of "whatever it takes" comes off as very similar to Lightning dust, it would explain HER cockiness and her talent, and would overall have been a more engaging motivation IMO. I could easily see her being his granddaughter or something

Would have been a nice way to reference her too.

I would like to see Lightning Dust make a return. Even though she was reckless, unforeseen circumstances (hot air balloon) was what brought her down and Rainbow Dash throwing her under the bus to save face from her involvement with those acts.

Lightning Dust's leadership and behavior caused Rainbow Dash and several cadets to get hurt and almost got the mane 6 killed. The fact that she didn't show any remorse was the breaking point. Rainbow Dash wasn't saving face as she disagreed with most of her methods yet was required to follow her orders as LD was the lead wingpony.

Lightning Dust's leadership and behavior caused Rainbow Dash and several cadets to get hurt and almost got the mane 6 killed. The fact that she didn't show any remorse was the breaking point. Rainbow Dash wasn't saving face as she disagreed with most of her methods yet was required to follow her orders as LD was the lead wingpony.

Rainbow Dash clipped her own wing and blamed it on Lightning Dust, because she couldn't keep up. .

The Mane 5 in the hot air balloon came there unannounced in the middle of the training session through the clouds while the cadets were ordered to use any method to clear out. Mane 5 are at fault for not making their visitation known ahead and the Wonderbolts Academy is at fault for not controlling their air space from outside traffic. It was an unforeseen circumstance because if that didn't happen the tornado would have just dissipated in the sky. Using a tornado wasn't a forbidden method in the first place.

Rainbow Dash was also involved in commit the reckless acts. She just says Lightning Dust committed those acts and omits herself being involved with those acts. She's dodging responsibility for those acts.

Edited by Singe

Rainbow Dash clipped her own wing and blamed it on Lightning Dust, because she couldn't keep up. .

Rainbow Dash had to follow the Lead Pony Lightning Dust who wanted to maneuver in dangerously tight areas

The Mane 5 in the hot air balloon came there unannounced in the middle of the training session through the clouds while the cadets were ordered to use any method to clear out. The Mane 5 are at fault for not making their visitation known and the Wonderbolts Academy is at fault for not controlling their air space from outside traffic.

If I go visit a military base I shouldn't have to worry about getting blown up by a tank. Likewise the mane 5 shouldn't have to worry about a freaking man-made tornado destroying their transport

Rainbow Dash was also involved in commit the reckless acts. She just says Lightning Dust committed those acts and omits herself being involved with those acts. She's dodging responsibility for those acts.

Except she never said she didn't commit the reckless acts, but rather she brought up how Lightning Dust's methods were very dangerous(not to mention Spitfire at first only thought of them as excessive rather than outright dangerous)

Not saying that "I was only following orders" is a good excuse or anything, but more often than not, the leader is responsible(whether it's fair or not) for the actions of the whole group, and this especially holds true when most of the other cadets were openly against her behavior and rightfully call her out on it. 

On top of that RD outright quitting the WB because she didn't approve of LD's methods or how Spitfire was ok with it sent the message straight

Rainbow Dash had to follow the Lead Pony Lightning Dust who wanted to maneuver in dangerously tight areas

Rainbow Dash had some control on how much distance to keep up with Lightning Dust. Before clipping her wing, RD chose to tail LD real close. Before that part while they were looking, RD had more allowable distance to keep up with LD and not get them disqualified. So RD didn't have to tail LD that close to obscure her vision and try to match LD.

If I go visit a military base I shouldn't have to worry about getting blown up by a tank. Likewise the mane 5 shouldn't have to worry about a freaking man-made tornado destroying their transport

Which puts the responsibility more on the Wonderbolts Academy. Legal tornado and unrestricted air space.

Except she never said she didn't commit the reckless acts, but rather she brought up how Lightning Dust's methods were very dangerous(not to mention Spitfire at first only thought of them as excessive rather than outright dangerous)

Not saying that "I was only following orders" is a good excuse or anything, but more often than not, the leader is responsible(whether it's fair or not) for the actions of the whole group, and this especially holds true when most of the other cadets were openly against her behavior and rightfully call her out on it. 

On top of that RD outright quitting the WB because she didn't approve of LD's methods or how Spitfire was ok with it sent the message straight

Considering the training area is a secluded area of open sky with clouds, excessive is correct because Spitfire doesn't expect there to be traffic in their training area.

Rainbow Dash's language was straight forward on full blame on Lightning Dust and distancing herself. The episode makes it work where RD doesn't have to be held accountable for any part with the methods or not coming forward until something terrible happened. Rainbow Dash says her opinion, quits, and gets rewarded. An unusual ending as RD goes on to blow up the weather factory in Season 5.

Lightning Dust does have a legitimate gripe in her view. RD's complaining gets the Wonderbolts to change their methods/rules right at the precipitate when an unexpected circumstance involving her friends holds LD accountable. As otherwise, the tornado wouldn't have been elevated to a major problem if the Mane 5 didn't show up. I wouldn't be surprised if LD claims RD set her up to get her out of the way.

Edited by Singe

Rainbow Dash had some control on how much distance to keep up with Lightning Dust. Before clipping her wing, RD chose to tail LD real close. Before that part while they were looking, RD had more allowable distance to keep up with LD and not get them disqualified. So RD didn't have to tail LD that close to obscure her vision and try to match LD.

Doesn't change the fact that it was a dangerously tight maneuver that Lightning Dust didn't have to take to begin with

Which puts the responsibility more on the Wonderbolts Academy. Legal tornado and unrestricted air space.

Again, the tornado was excessive and unnecessary on LD's part. The mane 5 shouldn't have had to worry about anything wrong happening, much like civilians attending a military base

Considering the training area is a secluded area of open sky with clouds, excessive is correct because Spitfire doesn't expect there to be traffic in their training area.

Rainbow Dash's language was straight forward on full blame on Lightning Dust and omitting herself. The episode makes it work where RD doesn't have to be held accountable for any part with the methods or not coming forward until something terrible happened.

Rainbow Dash says her opinion, quits, and gets rewarded. An unusual ending as RD goes on to blow up the weather factory in Season 5.

RD quits because Spitfire was approving of LD's dangerous and reckless methods throughout most of the episode. This also brings back the point of Lightning Dust taking full responsibility of her groups actions, and this holds especially true when most of it was her fault and her teammates didn't approve

RD was awarded not for blaming LD for everything, but for proving Spitfire wrong and telling her what Wonderbolts should doing.

Also funny how you bring up TFtM, any actual "damage" RD caused involved unpluging tubes and dumping water. With the show being a cartoon, literally anything and everything else was both accidents and played up for slapstick, and she did get punished in the end, with Winter coming earlier and her turtle going through hibernation anyway. Any further punishment would've unimportant and unneeded

Edited by Kamina

Agree to disagree. I still feel that Lightning Dust should have been handled more direct with her actions and not take an unforeseen circumstance to do her in. Rainbow Dash's responsibility distancing then rewarding was also terrible, especially when the narrative is trying to steer Spitfire to hold reckless behavior accountable.

Edited by Singe

If a Legion of Doom episode were to happen,I can definitely see her being RD's opponent.

But,if not,I would love to see her return for revenge. Maybe, in an episode focused on RD. 

Sadly, since they're doing that plot in the comics, I feel that such a plot is pretty much never going to happen. IDW has to run their ideas past the show crew to insure their comics aren't going to be redundant with the show, and since the crew OK'd siege of the crystal empire's plot (with lightning dust as Dash's evil opposite to boot), its probably not something the staff intend to pursue. (Which is sad as the "legion of doom" aspect looks to be more or less a one issue thing that's going to be discarded in favor of the next threat)

Plus, the fact that Lightning dust is returning for revenge in the comics makes me think they're never going to use her again in the show, as that seems to imply the show staff don't have plans for her and so the comic staff can do whatever they wish. (much like how they were veto'd to make a fiendship is magic about discord since he's a hot character for the show, but gave them carte blanche to do whatever they wished with sombra due to him being dead as far as McCarthy was concerned)

Hah! Here I was talking about how much I thought LD and Wind rider were a match, and here comes jim hinting at things to come XD

I really hope this turns out to be in season six :D

983149__safe_text_meta_lightning+dust_tw

• Brohoof 1