Suri Or Lightning Dust?

Mywas

Which one do you prefer?  

39 users have voted

1. 1. Suri or Dusty?

• Suri Polomare
    • Lightning Dust

(edited)

Suri made Rarity cry, she doesn't deserve any appreciation Lightning Dust was a much more interesting character imo.

Edited by Megas75
  • Brohoof 2

Suri is deceptive, manipulative bi***.....

Lightning Dust is just brash, egotistic, and only thinks about herself, which means that she could grow as a character if she were to have friends.

Suri...no, there's no redemptive qualities that she could undergo because she chooses to be that way, even in the face of kindness and generosity of others...

• Brohoof 2

Mmm, yeah. As much as I like Suri's character design (voice too strong lol), her maliciousness was unquestionably intentional. Lightning Dust was egotistical, but it's not nearly as clear that she intended to do as much harm as she did... Fanons aside, LD is marginally the more potentially redeemable of the two.

(edited)

Perhaps on purpose, the question in the poll is a little vague.  Which do I prefer?

Well, at that point in Season 4, Suri was definitely something we hadn't really seen before.  As an antagonist, she seemed purpose-built to turn an element-bearer's signature strength into a weakness.  In that regard, she posed a bigger danger to Rarity than LD did to Dash.  So as "the bitch we all love to hate", I am tempted to say Suri.

On the other hand, LD is a more nuanced antagonist (even barely qualifying as that, in my book).  She isn't as overtly mean as Suri, which leaves the viewers to wonder if she would have made better decisions under slightly different circumstances.  Being a character who is very much in the "grey area", I like the potential for moral uncertainty that she brought to the story.  So for intelligent writing, I am tempted to say LD.

Edited by NLR Information Minister
  • Brohoof 3

Suri, only because she got pwned by Coco with a cup of coffee. lol
WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE BIATCH! I just had to...I apologize for my rudeness.XD

Either one is okay with me, but I like Lightning Dust, she was quite a dynamic character, and has the capability to be a better character. Lightning Dust was like a dark mirror of Rainbow Dash, but she had friends to keep her humble yet versatile, so I think with friends Lightning Dust can be a great character, that being said I think Suri Polomare could be resuscitated too, the harsh existence of the city hardened Suri into a overambitious fusspot, and she was like a dark mirror of Rarity, in this world friendship is magic, so I believe with some story and new friends for these characters, they could progress from being antagonists to a background character.  

• Brohoof 1

Lightning Dust is a more interesting character; she's overconfident but not completely mean-spirited, with potential for development in future episodes. Suri is just a bitch.

(edited)

I voted Suri.

/ashamed

I like Lightning Dust more, but, in terms of effect, Suri had much more of an impact on me because of what she did to Rarity :( If I wasn't a dude, I'd beat the shit out of her :D

So, Lightning Dust > Suri, no doubt, but Suri was a better antagonist, in my opinion.

Fuggit, I can't show Suri any form of appreciation. Lightning Dust ftw. :D

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

everybody says Lighting Dust because she is better on this or this other aspect

i just say she is better because she looks awesome XD

motivational____lightning_dust_by_darkon

Edited by Doc. Volt
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

I never really though LD as an Antagonist. Just a character who never really had any friends, and hasn't experienced the magic of friendship. LD is just sort of a "Look out for only me" type of character. I consider her a likable character who I would really like to see again. And with some work and friends could become extremely likable. Suri is a B**ch who didn't even care about Coco. 

Edited by Scootaloo Is Best Filly

Sure Suri was meaner so was a better antagonist. 

But

Lightning Dust was more likable, I loved her design, her hair and colour mixed well and to be honest she wasn't THAT mean. She could have easily turned good! 

_request__rainbow_dash_and_lightning_dus

Just look at the FRIENDSHIP 

Lightning Dust, simply for being more likeable. She desires to be the best and wants to do it in the way she feels fits her. While we know what she did was wrong, she doesn't see that, so it puts her into a serious gray area. Suri Polomare is a manipulative bitch who knows what she did was wrong just to advance in the world of fashion in any way possible. She's realistic in her own right, but we were supposed to hate her, and it succeeded.

• Brohoof 2

-snip-

Marry me plz Buffaler Man :wub:

But yeahh, I don't agree with you on a lot of things, but me thinks you got it spot on right there, brudda. I wanted to brohoof it twice, but you're just gonna have to get a quote instead :D

(edited)

Lightning Dust. I like her name, over all character design, and her voice doesn't grate on me.

Oh, and she's irresponsible instead of straight up evil like Suri.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 1

Despite really doing the worse thing ("Eh, I almost killed all those ponies but it's okay because they didn't die, right?") than Suri, Lightning Dust has been mentioned many times in this thread as the more sympathetic of the two. 

That's impressive.

Lightning Dust is the best antagonist of the show because she's disturbing in a way that none of the others are. She's not a big adventure-style villain. She's got genuine positive qualities that mislead both Rainbow Dash and the viewer into thinking that the plotline is going to follow RD dealing with jealousy issues as per previously established in The Mysterious Mare Do Well. Instead, the plotline follows RD conflicted over whether those previously established flaws are just making her jealous or whether her intuition's right. Which was much more interesting and showcased good development on RD's part. 

But Suri does a similar thing with Rarity. She gave Rarity a good conflict too, by turning Rarity's good traits against her and placing the character in a situation where her bad side is encouraged to come out. Why is Lightning Dust better, again?

Oh, right, because Lightning Dust is suspiciously similar to Rainbow Dash. That's how they bond, after all. Both are cocky but for good reason, and Dust is enthusiastic about working together with her only equal. We could almost mistake that moment for empathy. Rainbow Dash didn't push herself as hard as Lightning Dust, so it's only fair that she should be wing pony, anyways.

And then Lightning Dust shows that she's a sociopath.

MLPGIF201.gif

Woops. She doesn't twirl her mustache about it, though, because she doesn't realize that she's the bad guy. At all. To her, it's just about success and failure, and if her action didn't end in failure, then it was a success and it makes no sense that everyone is so pissy about the details. She never intended to deceive Rainbow Dash; the situation just hadn't come up yet where she'd be seen as abnormal. We feel bad for Lightning Dust because she did not have self-awareness.

We also fear Lightning Dust for the same reason, because um you should probably be concerned about almost killing five ponies. The fact that a "normal" character like her can do that with no dark powers or evil forces involved just adds to the list of why she's the best antagonist. She never comes across cartoonishly like Diamond Tiara, and that's one thing both she and Suri share. The story takes them seriously.

i-Q6KktL8-S.png
 I once did a favorite character sorter with this show and Lightning Dust placed above some members of the Mane 6

• Brohoof 2