Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

So how and why did you pick your OC's Name?

Tao

So ponies of all kinds and races I got a question:  How and why did you pick your OC's name?   

Sometimes its off the fly,  others take a long and deep time to pick a oc(s) name for their personal cannon of use and choice!  Some just well know what it is and etc! Here are a few of mine:

Nevermore Midnight:  I love the poem The Raven but a lot of ocs already have or use Nevermore so I felt a bit cheap is using it,  so I add Midnight to give it a good flow when saying it and it helped to shape in what she was going to be!

Smokey Gold:   I wanted a male stallion that had a rough name like a drink you get in a old Western bar!   So I came up with Smokey Gold,  which at first was Dusty Gold but than I saw some random guy smoking so it was born to Smokey Gold. 

Sunflare:Given the sun does flare might make more sense but it came to me when I saw of a field of sunflowers in full bloom or "flaring" as I wrote in a poem!  

• Brohoof 1

Someone asked me what my OCs name is and I thought "Oh god I need to think of something quickly!"

No seriously, that's actually how it happened. But I am happy with Slick Sterling :)

• Brohoof 1

I chose brimstone for my main oc since ir was associated with fire, which is a big part of her character.

I chose farfel (a kind of pasta) from my methdical pony naming method. Once i had the character chosen, i took their talentand looked up words related to it ie: "words accosiated with hot airbaloons", and got rise.

For Fantasy Moon, it's because of her specialty of bringing "fantasies" to life.  Moon is there as a surname from her mother's side (as for the IRL reason, it's because it sounded cool).

For Stormcloud, I sort of had "Storm clouds are scary and blow down trees, but they also water the crops," in mind.

Edited by Akari of Duskshire

My first OC was originally going to be a Royal Guard, so I wanted a guard sounding name or something to do with armor. After much deliberation, I settled on Gallantry since knights/guards are supposed to be "gallant".

My other main OC, Chocolate Neapolitan, I actually got in a name generator, and it was too good to pass up

Edited by PoisonClaw

My OC/ponysona is Amity Key. Amity means friendship and harmony -- especially among nations. I chose the name because my OC's profession is an interpreter/translator for the Equestrian Government. She helps mediate communication between nations for peace treaties, trading deals, and the like.

Aria Rosewood, the classical guitarist:

Aria - In music an aria was originally any expressive melody, usually, but not always, performed by a singer. The term 'aria' was frequently used in the 17th and 18th centuries for instrumental music used for dancing or variation, and modeled on vocal music.

Rosewood - Any number of richly hued timbers, one of the more notable uses being for guitars.

Back in the distant year of before 2010 I created a character that now in like his 8th year of development and I'm unimaginative with coming up with names for anything which I use said character's name for everything. It just so happens said character was way to powerful to bring into the world of Equestia so I basically just took his name and applied it to thing since they are both exaggerations of my incredibly flawed personality. You try developing a literal adaptable character for 8 years and try telling me they aren't too strong for basically anything you can't think of on your own. No I'm not gonna retcon him that would require undoing 8 years of solo-work...

Blightfall:

Slight wordplay with nightfall + blight. Nightfall seemed too bland on its own. Before that I considered lots of other things, most water or earth related, but I figured my character has no affinity to those elements anyway.

They aren't a very menacing pony but since they're originally a dragon who was cursed I thought they needed an uncanny name. :derp: And it's kind of ironic the name is based off of "nightfall" and they normally only turn back into a dragon for every full moon night.

Mine is named Prince Spannungsitzersteckenstückendrachendrückenbrechenbrückenwaffenwerfenfaustenschläger. It's a bunch of random German words mashed together.  The intent was to make the name as long and goofy sounding as possible, while trying to cram in as many words ending in "-en" to make it sound more like gibberish.  It's very fitting for an OC as gloriously terrible as mine. However, most of the time I can't even remember the name, so I call him Steve for short.

• Brohoof 1

Aqualuna Sea Splash

Aqualuna~This name I made up myself ;) So I was caught in a tide knot of what her name should be :adorkable: I couldn't decide between the names Aqua and Aluna so I combined the names :D I love this name forever :wub: And this name suits her also because she is a merpony :smug:

Sea Splash~ She is a merpony so Sea Splash goes well with her name :please:

my ponysona Kenaz Pony... well I always just to get Kenaz, Raven, or Tooth in it because KenazRavenTooth is what i use of any site i sign up with (or some veneration of it). reason for pony? well i just like how Kenaz pony sounds. xD

Chairity. well shes a sprite mixed with death's generosity so thats kind of self explanatory.

Whitecap. Whitecap is/will be a sea god in my universe and his mane reminded me of whitecaps.

Lance Orin (Originally Miller). Lance is my inventor pony mostly liking to make weapons. Miller got changed to Orin after she got married to her husben. with Miller well idk it was a family last name.

Wild Water. He watches wild animals to study there habits and such.

Toxic Midnight. She was found in toxic waste during the night. she even glows in the dark. (my MLP Universe is not in the best state right now)

Queen Jyne... i though Jyne was a cool sounded like a good name and I hadnt expected to make a changling queen character.

In the process of picking my OC's name, I wanted something with ties to myself, but could also fit within the show universe nicely.

So, the full name is Noble H. Quikwitt.

Noble is based on my real name

Quikwitt describes my propensity for on-the-fly mild humor, and also academic subjects.

To fit more in the naming conventions of the show, He is most often called Professor Quikwitt.

• Brohoof 2

I got my name from the fact that as a person I could be very loud, also because I want my pony self to be a strong stallion but I still haven't figured out whether I want to be a pegasus or an earth pony here is why:First being a pegasus would mix well with the name because you know it has thunder in the name but then if I was an earth pony my name would be like a metaphor for how I am so strong that a hoof punch is like a thunderstrike.

• Brohoof 1

I am a huge Princess Luna Fan! As you can tell from my name I am a loyal follower of Princess Luna. I chose the name as a play on words I have MLP card came card that refers to Princess Luna as the "Night Mare" and I love Halloween (AKA Nightmare Night) I thought it was rather clever, Piece them together, I am the Night Mare's Knight so call me NightMare Knight!

I got my name from the fact that as a person I could be very loud, also because I want my pony self to be a strong stallion but I still haven't figured out whether I want to be a pegasus or an earth pony here is why:First being a pegasus would mix well with the name because you know it has thunder in the name but then if I was an earth pony my name would be like a metaphor for how I am so strong that a hoof punch is like a thunderstrike.

That is a great name!! Very cleaver

I am a huge Princess Luna Fan! As you can tell from my name I am a loyal follower of Princess Luna. I chose the name as a play on words I have MLP card came card that refers to Princess Luna as the "Night Mare" and I love Halloween (AKA Nightmare Night) I thought it was rather clever, Piece them together, I am the Night Mare's Knight so call me NightMare Knight!

That is a great name!! Very cleaver

but the problem is I am hoping to be a brony youtuber but I am afraid I might get copyrighted because my name is already taken by a canon mlp charecter

but the problem is I am hoping to be a brony youtuber but I am afraid I might get copyrighted because my name is already taken by a canon mlp charecter

Yes that can be a problem, you want it to be true to your personality but not get urself sued! think of other ways to incorporate thunder... Hmmm maybe somthing like ThunderStruck or Thunder Buck (Buck as a horse kicking but also a play on words as its similar to struck)

• Brohoof 1

Yes that can be a problem, you want it to be true to your personality but not get urself sued! think of other ways to incorporate thunder... Hmmm maybe somthing like ThunderStruck or Thunder Buck (Buck as a horse kicking but also a play on words as its similar to struck)

yeah I could do that but I already kind of already made a url called thunderhoovesentertainment oh and Thunder buck sounds like I am good at sex

yeah I could do that but I already kind of already made a url called thunderhoovesentertainment oh and Thunder buck sounds like I am good at sex

actually I don't think that would be a bad thing

• Brohoof 1