Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Annoying cashiers at GameStop

Deidre Asada

I see where tour coming from. They always ask me to get a discount card and to reserve a game. But I also understand it's their job. I did have one really annoying guy though. I was going to buy either halo 3 or ninja gaiden 2 and I couldn't decide so I asked the guy which was better and he said "I suggest buying another game altogether". I didn't want another game. I wanted one of those. And he kept saying I houldnt buy either. So I bought halo 3 and for 5 dollars, I'd recommend it for online gameplay

I see where tour coming from. They always ask me to get a discount card and to reserve a game. But I also understand it's their job. I did have one really annoying guy though. I was going to buy either halo 3 or ninja gaiden 2 and I couldn't decide so I asked the guy which was better and he said "I suggest buying another game altogether". I didn't want another game. I wanted one of those. And he kept saying I houldnt buy either. So I bought halo 3 and for 5 dollars, I'd recommend it for online gameplay

You asked his opinion and he gave it to you. I see no problem with this.

If they don't like a game, they're not really supposed to say a bunch of bad stuff about it, since that could hurt a sale.

You asked his opinion and he gave it to you. I see no problem with this.

If they don't like a game, they're not really supposed to say a bunch of bad stuff about it, since that could hurt a sale.

I hadn't thought of it that way :o

The employees at my local gamestop are really chill tbh. They all know me well and when I walk in the store and usually get into a good conversation about games. Although, I do hate gamestop as an overall business, they're crooks when it comes to people selling them games.

Yeah, mostly it is the company itself, I don't like that the employees are getting blamed for the behaviour. They are just doing what they are told, and most of them feel the same way you do about it...

The only Gamestops I've ever been to had nice, respectful cashiers. So what the crap?

This basically... Out of all the times I've been to Gamestop, I have never experienced any problems whatsoever with any of the cashiers. So yeah, I've had nothing but good experiences with the cashiers

Well, I've met decent cashiers, but they all were kind of blunt... Seemed like they were kinda sick of answering all the same questions.

(It's understandable, but you shouldn't take that out on a customer!)

But my nearest GS has had nice people. ^^

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Actually, I am in thanks for one cashier at gamestop. I got my BFBC2 lasered by the stupid xbox and walked in to see if I could get it repaired, and the dude said "Here, I'll just act like you just bought it and swap you out with a new disk for free". Now THAT, was an awesome day. Sure they can be annoying with their constant advertising, and bad trade in deals, but it is their job! But if you want a good deal for your games, Slackers is the way to go.

Edited by Retro✮Derpy

I've had some pretty bad experiences with gamestop cashiers. Once I subscribed to Game Informer (That magazine they always advertise >_>) and realized I wasn't getting the paperback issues in the mail. So the next day I called them and asked them if they could help out with this. They said yes and told me to drive to the nearest shop to pick up the new issue. I said okay and after a while I got to the store and the cashier there was clueless about what I was talking about. But in the end, I got my issue. So all was cool. Just wanted to share mah experience.

I guess having worked in sales, I am barely bothered by their upselling. None of them are highly-trained salesmen anyway.

I haven't heard someone ask about protection in years. The only thing I personally get now is I'm asked if I want to pre-order games and if I would like to renew my card membership - if you buy a lot of pre-owned games, then it actually is beneficial.

By the way, when you pre-order something at GameStop that is tracked per the employee for credit and if you cancel a pre-order it is penalized against the employee you do the cancellation with, regardless of who you bought it with. I bring this up because I've seen people come into a GameStop who will cancel all of their pre-orders at once, not knowing that they are pretty much ruining the guy that they are talking to's sales metrics.

I haven't been in a GameStop for nearly two years now. It isn't that I had any problems with the three in my area though. Here is a transcript of my final conversation in each...

Me - "Do you still carry used DVDs?"

GS - "Sorry, we don't carry them any more."

Me - "Okay, thank you. Bye!"

Can you tell I'm not a gamer? Thankfully a MovieStop opened not too far from me!

I have had one bad experience with an employee at GameStop. The 25 year old man told me "Never buy a bloody hell Nintendo game" Then I checked out with the other cashier. Now I only go to one GameStop which has a brony working there Monday-Thursday.

I kind of understand. One of my friends work at gamestop, and he's one of those over zealous people because he's so passionate about the games and helping people get the right one.

I however, do not like when the other cashiers are condescending, or think they're lord of the videogames, because they work at gamestop. It's just annoying, I feel pressured to buy games that hardcore people play (partially why I got AC3 but ended up loving it so it's all good) but sometimes it's annoying to feel so judged when all you want is harvest moon for your 3DS.

I've had a very bad experience with this one guy who had all the demo games shut off. He just wanted his money and didn't care about the customers at all. I was demoing a game to see if I would like it, then the jerk comes and shuts the game system off and says "Buy a game or get out my store." Well, he didn't say that but his actions sure did. He even accused me of "harassing" him and even threatened to call the cops on me. I'm like "You asshole!" But I didn't really say that, but my insides sure felt violated. 

Aside from this experience, I have had plenty of good experiences. I've even accepted some pre-order offers because I was interested in the game. 

I've had many interesting conversations with the cashiers about games, which is a lot of fun because we relate to each other.

It all depends on the mindset of the cashier. The guy stated in the first experience was all about the money, sort of like a "get in and get out". But that's not how you do it. You have to get along and make the experience enjoyable for your customers. 

Whenever I do go to Gamestop, the cashiers there are awesome. Not once have I found a cashier "annoying" or "unpleasant", so I must be that awesome.

Back when I was in highschool the local gamestop had awesome cashiers. We used to just go in there and eat lunch with them sometimes. Though now the awesome ones are replaced. Haven't gone there in awhile though. Normally I just order my games online.