Why are Minions everywhere?

Spikey-Wikey

Sigh... everywhere I go on the internet AND real life, I always see Minions everywhere...

Minion merchandise, minion qoutes, random stuff that has nothing to do with minions, yet minions are on them anyways,

Just... what the hell is so interesting about them...? No personality, no appealing design.

I was okay with it the first while, but this is just madness, MLP was never this overused. Nor was anything like SpongeBob, Sonic, Mario, etc.

Hell, in some countries they have minion-shaped chicken nuggets. Are you freaking kidding me.

• Brohoof 9

Well Dreamworks, the creators of the original Despicable Me movies, had gotten a lot of success with Minion-related merchandise, and thus they began to put them everywhere, as an attempt to appeal to people who like cute characters.

This sounds fine on paper, however they've taken the merchandising too far. Now I don't have anything against merchandise, I support it, but when it comes to the point where your product is imprinted on every possible thing, then that's gone too far, but I digress.

Basically, Minions are completely over-saturated, but as long as people lose interest in them, they should die down soon, only for something else to take it's place.

• Brohoof 2

Can't stand them. They don't have an appealing design or sense of humour to me. I hated the way they just completely overtook everything around them. Even their original movie wasn't safe. The main character of Despicable Me, Gru, has been completely pushed aside to make room for the minions. The front cover of the DVD doesn't even have him on it. They certainly turned out to be an easy sell. They have no right to overtake my facebook feed however.

• Brohoof 3

I don't understand the appeal of minions either; I find them to be incredibly annoying. But it's all in the marketing -- and admittedly, they're doing a good job because people are buying the merchandise like crazy. Much like -- yes, I'm going there -- Frozen. :lol:

Edited by Jaxsie
  • Brohoof 2

They're completely out of control. Everywhere I look, I see Minions. I close my eyes, I see Minions... You can't go to a single high street without seeing anything with a Minion on it...

Heck, minions are in my sleep at this point. Maybe they're after me.  :baconmane:

Eh... Personally, I've never been bothered by them, and I think that the amount they're being used has died down dramatically within the last month. Personally, I'm much more annoyed by overexposure to Star Wars and the super hero franchises than I am Minions.

Also, I'll gladly take an influx of Minion merchandise over the Duck Dynasty nonsense that was all over merchandise at the store I work at last year. The Minions may be stupid, but at least they aren't hateful stupid. Lol.

• Brohoof 1

I was in Canada for a week and they kept showing these McDonald's commercials with them in it.  My father doesn't keep track of that kind of stuff and even he was beginning to notice and get annoyed.

Honestly, I suppose some folks would see them as cute, but they're not my kind of cute and it's getting annoying.

A friend of mine and I have concluded that you cannot go a full 24 hours without seeing a minion. Seems to be a fact nowadays. Pretty irritating to say the least. I always found the Minions to be the least funny aspects of the Despicable Me movies and I knew the moment they announced a Minions movie, it was gonna be exploited to oblivion and I was sadly correct.

That is all the Minions are, a market exploitation. Some wacky and 'funny' to make a million products for even if the concept itself is rather...dull. Happens way too often.

• Brohoof 1

Marketing is the reason why Minions are everywhere. It has been like this ever since the trailers of the first Despicable Me movie were released. Even though they played a small role in the first movie, they were most remembered out of all of the characters because of A. their comical role in the movie and B. how they were marketed as seen in the trailers. Because of this marketing nature, they eventually became the supposed mascots of the Despicable Me franchise. They're also designed pretty decently which people find cute.

But eventually marketing went a little too far to the point where they get their own movie. The Minions were definitely a success as characters, but they lose a lot of their charm once people realise there's a mediocre movie starring them. But that sort of marketing is nothing out of the blue. As such, I never found much point in hating them, because all marketing schemes like the Minions tend to die out quickly.

Edited by Cynical
  • Brohoof 1