Why did so much Bronies think Alicorn Twilight would be temporary?

Spikey-Wikey

I never noticed... but why did so much Bronies want or think that Alicorn Twilight would be temporary...? It wouldn't make sense!

It would be like Scootaloo suddenly flying in one episode, but it wouldn't be noticed or mentioned, as if she was always able to fly, then the next episode she appears she can't fly. It would just be illogical.

Long time ago I hoped it would be more or less her super saiyan form that she only takes that form when she gets serious and reverts back to an unicorn when she's herself.

Still don't like twilicorn and that hate will always be there.

• Brohoof 2

Long time ago I hoped it would be more or less her super saiyan form that she only takes that form when she gets serious and reverts back to an unicorn when she's herself.

But what is there to hate about Alicorn Twilight? I don't get how a pair of wings is bad.

Because people naturally don't like change. Not when that change directly conflicts with something they're used to and approve of. Many people had gotten used to the idea of the Mane 6 being as they were. When Twilight essentially became promoted to Alicorn status, it really shook up the established settings. When approached with an event that changes something someone approved of, they often turn to the mindset that it's only temporary, and that things will be back to 'normal' soon enough. It's just human nature.

• Brohoof 4

But what is there to hate about Alicorn Twilight? I don't get how a pair of wings is bad.

She introduces the possibility of transforming into an alicorn reducing the value of alicorns, she's the fourth alicorns making alicorns even less valuable and unique. She breaks the mold of the two unicorns, two earth ponies and two pegasi of the mane six. She became an alicorn from solving a problem she caused from the beginning and is really meh in terms of how it would be the final trial towards becoming a princess of Friendship. I would think defeating Discord after he brainwashed them would of made her into one.

There are old threads about this so go look for them.

• Brohoof 3

Main theme of the show is friendship, main hero of the show is Twilight, if you disagree with Twilight being the princess of friendship then at least nominate some candidates, because I believe the show needs a princess for its theme.

She breaks the mold of the two unicorns, two earth ponies and two pegasi of the mane six.

And isn't it beautiful to see that they overcame their appearance and nature ? That they don't need a constant reminder that they represent the harmony between the earthponies, pegasi and unicorns when their friendship bound them together ?

This apply to the elements. They don't have to represent the harmony in every way possible, they are the harmony, they are friends.

Maybe that's the path the CMC are following. They understood that they represent the 3 types of ponies and that their friendship is more important than their appearances (see the issue with the CMC thinking they would lose their friends if they got a cutie mark but understanding being friends is what matters after all, not the CMC thing).

I've never seen anyone saying that it would be temporary, but if they did, I would imagine that the reasoning is the exact same as that of those who didn't like Twilicorn in the first place. 

It's not just that people don't like change. In essence, many view it as the definitive action which established Twilight as infinitely more important than the other five, possibly to the point where the concept of "mane six" no longer existed.

And sure enough, in season 4, Twilight received a massive amount of glorification over the other five, culminating to a finale in which she received an intense solo battle while they were left trapped like helpless damsels, serving as nothing but a liability for her, preventing her from saving Equestria all by herself. 

And that's exactly why I appreciate season 5 for lessening her glorification and giving the other five a greater sense of importance. 

• Brohoof 4

In all honesty, Twilight hasn't really changed much since her alicornization, besides the abilities to fly and drink flashback potion (and maybe a bit of super strength). Twilight was still pretty OP even as a unicorn.

As for me, never thought Twilight's alicornhood would be temporary. I think people thought it was such a dramatic change that they just wanted to revert her back as soon as possible. 

Fortunately I started watching the show summer of 2013, so I missed out on some significant drama.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah I have also never seen anyone believe it would only be temporary, as the show creators blatantly stated it was permanent after it happened. I think it's just they were resisting accepting the change, but as time went on, people seemed to have become more accepting of the situation, realizing there was nothing that could be done. It's just kind of like when Derpy was censored, huge uproar, tons of people saying they would stop watching the show, but then after Hasbro stayed firm in their stance people got over it and moved on. Same thing happened with Equestria Girls, tons of people protested, insisted it would be crap but then they just gave up and sat down and watched it, and thus the films ended up getting good ratings because people threw away their initial prejudices and gave them a chance.

This is a normal thing for bronies. They will protest something, but once they accept that their protest will not change anything, they just let it go and move on.

And sure enough, in season 4, Twilight received a massive amount of glorification over the other five, culminating to a finale in which she received an intense solo battle while they were left trapped like helpless damsels, serving as nothing but a liability for her, preventing her from saving Equestria all by herself. 

Excuse me? "Twilight received an intense solo battle while the other 5 were trapped like Damsels?" Were you paying attention? Twilight and Tirek were evenly matched and what ultimately defeated him was the Rainbow Power. Which was unlocked by the 6 keys that Twilight AND her friends discovered!  Twilight didn't save Equestria all by herself. It was the experiences all of them have gone through throughout Season 4 that saved Equestria. In other words, Twilight's friends were just as important to the overall arc as she was!

• Brohoof 1

Excuse me? "Twilight received an intense solo battle while the other 5 were trapped like Damsels?" Were you paying attention? Twilight and Tirek were evenly matched and what ultimately defeated him was the Rainbow Power. Which was unlocked by the 6 keys that Twilight AND her friends discovered!  Twilight didn't save Equestria all by herself. It was the experiences all of them have gone through throughout Season 4 that saved Equestria. In other words, Twilight's friends were just as important to the overall arc as she was!

Easy man, she's a fictional character you don't need to get so offended on her behalf.

Simply wishful thinking.

Everyone! It's alright. Technically the Mane 6 still has two unicorns, two pegasi, and two earth ponies. Sunset Shimmer!

As if the ratio of each pony type matters. And Sunset Shimmer only appears in the movies so she doesn't count. 

Excuse me? "Twilight received an intense solo battle while the other 5 were trapped like Damsels?"

What, did that not happen? Regardless of whether or not the fight is what defeated Tirek, it's a sequence that exists for no other reason than for us to froth at how awesome Twilight is and how absolutely no one else in the mane six can compare to her. 

And like I said, Twilight only didn't defeat him because her friends were captured and ultimately became liabilities for her. I really don't buy that they were "evenly matched" given that she is seen dishing out a hell of a lot more damage on Tirek than he dished on her, and he most likely knew that he was screwed. 

That said, she really should have chosen to keep on fighting, given that it was the only chance by which Tirek could have been defeated in that moment and she had no way of knowing that he wouldn't simply kill them all on the spot once she was powerless. 

• Brohoof 2

What, did that not happen? Regardless of whether or not the fight is what defeated Tirek, it's a sequence that exists for no other reason than for us to froth at how awesome Twilight is and how absolutely no one else in the mane six can compare to her. 

And like I said, Twilight only didn't defeat him because her friends were captured and ultimately became liabilities for her. I really don't buy that they were "evenly matched" given that she is seen dishing out a hell of a lot more damage on Tirek than he dished on her, and he most likely knew that he was screwed. 

That said, she really should have chosen to keep on fighting, given that it was the only chance by which Tirek could have been defeated in that moment and she had no way of knowing that he wouldn't simply kill them all on the spot once she was powerless. 

I'm somewhat expecting the same kind of thing to happen in the finale of this season. S4, all the others got key episodes while Twilight got the two parter finale to herself as her big Key episode, pushing the others into the background in the key plot to focus on twilight's task as the Instant win condition that mattered (much like how quidditch matches really only came down to harry potter because LOL at everything else in the games mattering).

So far we've had Map episodes for Pinkie, RD, Rarity and AJ, and in every one of those, we have a running them of Twilight being uber excited about a mission and wondering what's in store for her as princess of friendship, only to be shut down about not being chosen (the previews for the upcoming AJ/Rar one show this to occur in that episode as well).

This makes me think they're setting it up so twilight is constantly wanting to go but never getting to, in order to emphasize the importance of her map mission when it FINALLY occurs, which I believe will occur in the finale with the map tasking JUST twilight with stopping glimmer (Due to glimmer being yet another evil twilight clone villain that will learn about friendship from twilight)

• Brohoof 1

Because it was what the fans wanted to believe.

THIS. For some the pain was so hurtful that they decided to believe it would be temporary.

Exactly... it's a phantom pain.

post-19396-0-52921400-1443052597_thumb.png

Image was necessary.

• Brohoof 1

THIS. For some the pain was so hurtful that they decided to believe it would be temporary.

Exactly... it's a phantom pain.

attachicon.gifphatom.PNG

Image was necessary.

"Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night... I can feel my... my uh... my Lack of wings? The status I've... gained? It won't stop hurting. It's like they're all still... not there. Okay, I guess in retrospect I gained more than I lost, but I'M GONNA MAKE THEM GIVE BACK OUR PAST!"

Edited by SpaceOnion
  • Brohoof 1