Year-long Hiatus?

CastletonSnob

This comes as no surprise whatsoever. I'm not exactly sure the reason why, but it honestly seems to me like FiM is actually starting to put a strain on DHX in some way. 

It's pretty clear that season 5's development has been quite protracted, far worse than any of the previous seasons. I believe that the reason there was a mid-season hiatus was because DHX actually needed more time to animate the last few season 5 episodes. Keep in mind that the season 5 premiere animatic was shown at SDCC 2014, and a year later at SDCC 2015, they showed an animatic for the season 5 finale. Instead of being hard at work on season 6, they apparently still weren't even finished with season 5.  

I can't quite determine the reason for this protraction. Perhaps McCarthy's absence has been far more detrimental than they expected. In any case, I fully expected that it would be another 10 months if not longer before season 6 would begin. Given that the hiatuses do get longer with each progressive season, I actually guessed it would be a year next time. So, yeah, this news doesn't exactly surprise me. 

• Brohoof 1

What if the hiatus really is a year-long? Will you even still be into the show?

Of course I will still be into it. It will be painful (I have to watch the reruns now), but probably worth it. I do hope the hiatus is shorter however! Maybe it is because they are making the 4th equestria girls movie.

Edited by 4april

-They're done recording S5

-They're done boarding S5

-They're in Key Layout phase, which happens 5-6 months before the premiere airs

-John mentioned receiving 2 scripts at the same time, which was relatively recently, which means it's a two parter, which means it's the finale.

-Episodes air generally a year from their record date

This is beyond any shadow of a doubt the finale. The premiere will without question be this Spring.

This could be it, I know from an older Tweet that Delancie was already recording for Season 6 in July or so. So I suspect a late Spring/Early Summer premiere.

• Brohoof 3

I wouldn't mind if there were more split seasons. It'd allow more episodes to be released and worked on at the same time. I do hope any potential hiatus isn't a whole year though, that'd be long enough for people to forget the show.

PSST. THE OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED HIATUS OF RICK AND MORTY IS 18+ MONTHS!  :(

They just stated that the show suffered a loss in viewership after the last hiatus.  If there's going to be another one I doubt it'll be any better for business.

If it's true, then the show is gonna take a huge loss in their target demographic. Kids would move onto something else and or grow out of MLP by then. Yes, we Bronies have the attention span and creative community to pick up the slack. But will the intended audience stick around? 

That's exactly what bothers me! I don't think kids care about quality storytelling and animation. They'd stick to the show even if the episodes were rushed and half-assed... 

Than again, older bronies will benefit from the hiatus. I expect quality episodes since there'll be so much time to plan and make them...

I'll be doing other things. I love FiM with all my heart, but it's not the only thing in the world. Same thing with every other hiatus. I don't just quit a show cuz it's been off for a year. Not to mention there's still fan content.

Yup! Hopefully I'll be able to fill the pony hiatus with Steven Universe and Gravity Falls. :D

A year Hiatus, REALLY?! This is a cartoon not a prime time television show! 6-9 months I can understand but a year?

This is kind of why I don't object to an EqG TV Show, at least we'd have something to keep us occupied while we're waiting.

Aye, Hasbro I hope you bring out Transformers RiD Season 2 soon.

This is kind of why I don't object to an EqG TV Show, at least we'd have something to keep us occupied while we're waiting.

Wait, really? There's going to be a EqG TV show as well?

Insufficient data to determine length of haitus, however I suspect he meant one year from the moment he asked to the airing of his first appearance in a Season Six episode.

• Brohoof 1

I don't like having to wait a year for new episodes, but I don't think I'll lose interest. The fandom still makes a lot of content and there's plenty of other things to occupy my time. Anyway, when the hiatus finally does end, I don't think it'll seem so bad that we had to wait that long.

I would like Mr De Lancie to clarify what he meant with the hiatus. It could be that next season will start around a year after this season finale (which is close by the way), or a year after his recording, or whatever. I can't stand mid season hiatuses, but I think I can survive seasonal hiatuses. If the case of the former is true, We'll probably won;t get S7 before the pony movie though 

If it's true, then the show is gonna take a huge loss in their target demographic. Kids would move onto something else and or grow out of MLP by then. Yes, we Bronies have the attention span and creative community to pick up the slack. But will the intended audience stick around? 

Actually kids are usually content with reruns. Most kids the age of the target demographic don't even know when new episodes are coming out. My 5 year old niece will watch reruns of 90% of her shows repeatedly without even realizing new episodes got thrown into the mix.

Once again though: A year is VERY NORMAL FOR TV SHOWS.

We've already been through one year-long hiatus. What is another? =P

Actually kids are usually content with reruns. Most kids the age of the target demographic don't even know when new episodes are coming out. My 5 year old niece will watch reruns of 90% of her shows repeatedly without even realizing new episodes got thrown into the mix.

Once again though: A year is VERY NORMAL FOR TV SHOWS.

But it's not about the kidz, it's about the Bronies1!!111!

Edited by Envy

I hope he meant the episodes that Discord was in rather than just the season premiere

There have been episodes besides premiers such as Three's a Crowd and heck even the season finale where discord was in.

I hope he meant that the specific episodes would air a year from now and not the season itself would begin that long from now.

But if it is an actual year hiatus, ugh.  We already had to deal with an 11 month hiatus from season 4 to 5, which itself had mini breaks inbetween episodes in the first half of the season, and the break between the first half of season 5 to the second half of this season.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 1

Probably find some other series or stories that has friendship or elements of harmony like things.

Do a FIM five season marathon with no sleep.

Watch FIM again and imagine your OC as part of that episode helping the Mane 6.

Read a book or listen to a graphic audio.

Go on the forums and talk about a future episode.

Buy the FIM toys and toys from some other series. Do crossover playing like Equestria Girls meets Monster High. Flim Flam brothers need help because they owe Jabba money.

Edited by Singe

I might take a break from the show like I did during the last hiatus.

Unlike you, I will probably just watch the reruns. In one way, that will allow me to remember past episodes, or pay attention to some details.

In the beginning, it probably will be hard, but I will get used to it. And by having regular hiatuses, it makes the seasons a bit more exciting. :dash:

• Brohoof 1