Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How would you make a G5 series if you had the chance?

TheAnimatorOfficial

For me, I would keep continuity to G4, but instead focus on the CMC, and maybe a few others. The Mane 6 would be more mentors (secondary characters), but will still have major roles in the society. Celestia is gone, and Twilight is the head honcho of Equestria.

The character designs would be the same, but done in hand drawn instead of flash.

Another thing, here's a bold move: I would make the episodes 11 minutes instead of 22.

What about you guys?

It would just be a continuation. It could be Equestria in five years or so. New threats, new ponies. They could probably even go back to old problems to see what's happened.

It could take place in the same universe but years after and have Twilight being ruler of equestria and have a role similar to what Celestia has in FIM.

Have completely original new cast and focus a bit more on adventure and fantasy than slice of life.

If they plan to make a G5 here's my wish list to that:

-New main characters

-Yes, same setting which is of course, Equestria.

-Background characters will have supporting roles to a story, characters like Vinyl, Cloudchaser, Octavia, Bon-Bon, Lyra, Muffins, etc.

-New races in like Bat Ponies. Those are awesome by the way.

Well that's all I can think of.

Same universe with a new cast (maybe even it out with three mares or three stallions [or even other species], idk) and have the old Mane 6 make cameos from time to time. The storyline would be centered around more social issues since the friendship era would already be fleshed out. New threats that involve these issues, and other tales that share the same style as G4. Animation can stay the same, or slightly better, but since it's in the same universe, I don't see why not. That's my take, lol. Still too early to tell. XD

Total reboot with Mane 6 and many other familiar faces. Friendship is no longer magic, but it remains the running theme. Season has an overarching storyline littered with problems that are not necessarily resolved in the span of one or even two episodes. Problems are not directly related to ponies, but their flaws add to them. Suffice to say, some flaws should be fairly permanent so that the afflicted character must learn to work around them rather than cure them with some bullshit.

-Individuality, hopes and dreams: Each and every mane character has their own dreams and convictions, and their own INTERESTING stories that could work even if one would write them as completely separate entities. You ain’t getting another six seasons to flesh out AJ or Spike.

-Art: It must remain recognizable and cute.

-Going on an adventure: You have a magical world. I suggest you start using it. It might work on hardcore Bronies, but the rest of us may not be as easily convinced to watch another generation filled with apple bucking. And yes, I am also talking about young female audience. We constantly hear about the lack of strong female characters doing adventure stuff, yet nothing is happening. Is Star Butterfly really my only hope for that kind of magic and mayhem?

-World: Do your worldbuilding before you begin to write the first season. All I wish is for ponies to be the focus but not the essential part of this world. Also, give it a name already! I’m tired of calling it all Ponyverse.

-Think of the children: Take a page from Disney XD shows. More mature themes can be included if you’re smart about it and know when and how to include them. Just remember: when in doubt, don’t pander. These themes are there to enrich your show, not to satisfy Bronies.

-Villainy is Magic: Antagonists can be as important as your protagonists. Develop them as you would your main characters. I only have one tiny wish: no more bitchy woobie unicorns. Give me a criminal mastermind, give me an occultist if you have the balls, give me a damn mass candy wrap litterer for all I care. Just no more woobiecorns.

-Consume and evolve: Unneeded non-background characters are unneeded. Evolve them or discard them. I’m sure the toy department can find reasonable replacements. They always do.

If you really need to ask, you should ask a better question. That question is: "EXPLOSIONS?!?"

But seriously now. I'd most likely make keep the same continuity but focus on entirely new foreground characters. I'd also unify cannon (aka. make sure there are less inconsistencies than there are now and clarify a lot).

I'd keep the same art style and implement them into something like Gurren Lagann. I would love to see a group of heroic ponies spreading friendship in big badass mechs, fighting other entities from all over the planet/galaxy.

I dunno, I feel like ponies with a little more action within a sci-fi theme would be killer awesome.

Edited by Windseeker
  • Brohoof 1

Take it from G to R rated. Add tons of violence, gore, action, explosions, awesome villains, and toss friendship.

Just kidding. But if I were in charge I might tone down the "cutesy" factor and add some more epic scenes like in the S4 finale. More of that and maybe some more emotion (although G4 seems to have plenty of that already..)

G4 has done a heck of a lot as far as world building goes, so most of that work would have already been done for me if I wanted to make a continuation of the g4 world... However, I would up the fantasy. G5 would be about high adventure, targeting a bit older of a demographic while still remaining at a pace available for the original audience of little girls (think Avatar, Korra, Adventure Time, Stephen Universe, etc.)

Of course we'd need to put in some new characters and have an overarching story, the mane 6 wouldn't be gone, they'd still make appearances, but they'd play more of a role similar to how Celestia is in G4, important characters within the world itself, but not having much screen time due to their own duties and responsibilities. As for the story, it would probably have to do with some threat to Equestria and a grand adventure that the new characters must take in order to save Equestria, all the while building even more upon the pieces that have been put into place in G4, but not really fleshed out (i.e. Yakyakistan, Wherever the changelings come from, Discord's origin, places other than Ponyville and Canterlot, Starswirl the Bearded and who exactly he was and what exactly he did. etc.)