Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

University/ College Admissions Discussion Thread

4april

Have any questions regarding university/ college admissions?
Want to share your dream university list or experience?
Want to discuss admissions with others who either have experience in admissions?

Whether you want to study in Asia or America, a for profit college or Harvard, here is the place to discuss it!

Edited by 4april
It's fine. :)
  • Brohoof 2

I went to school on an ice hockey scholarship.  That said, I had the opportunity to go to Colgate University...though in that case, I would have had to have paid a significant amount of my tuition.  Since I couldn't do that, I went a different direction.

I'm super-happy with the college I chose.  But I often wonder how it might have turned out, had I gone to Colgate.  :)

SD

• Brohoof 1

I went to school on an ice hockey scholarship. That said, I had the opportunity to go to Colgate University...though in that case, I would have had to have paid a significant amount of my tuition. Since I couldn't do that, I went a different direction.

I'm super-happy with the college I chose. But I often wonder how it might have turned out, had I gone to Colgate. :)

SD

You seem to have some experience in college admissions. Maybe you could potentially give some good advice to others here.

• Brohoof 1

I can, if anyone would like to ask.  That said, I was in college between 1993-1998.  That was a long time ago and I'm sure much has changed.  I'll certainly do what I can to help, though!  One thing I am very experienced with is going on about 40 (no lie) different visits to campuses across America.  I can advise the kinds of things to look for and the red flags to steer clear of.  :)

SD

Edited by Script Dangles
  • Brohoof 1

About to finish my first semester at Vanderbilt University, yeah admissions is so competitive now that you really need some coaching if you want to get into your 1st choice. If anyone wants some help I can definitely give some advice

• Brohoof 2

I actually got into Baylor University a couple weeks ago. (For anyone who doesn't know, Baylor is one of the best colleges in Texas, and is also a Big Twelve school.) I'm still wanting to see if I can get into other colleges, but for right now, Baylor is my choice.

If anyone is having trouble with college applications, or essays, or anything of the like, I am open to help. I have done it myself, so I can tell you from experience.

• Brohoof 1

I actually graduated college/uni today, but I don't know that I'd have any advice for people. I mean I did so well in high school and on the ACT that I got into my first choice just by applying... then I skated through, barely passing because of.... er... distractions and lack of studying/focusing skills.

I could maybe tell people what not to do once they get in?

• Brohoof 3

Harvard is a nonprofit institution.

I have multiple degrees and have just started seeking a new one (though I am starting with a post baccalaureate first as I am missing a few upper level science prerequisites like Orgo.

Returning to school in my late 30's is exhilarating. Never stop learning.

• Brohoof 3

I have multiple degrees and have just started seeking a new one (though I am starting with a post baccalaureate first as I am missing a few upper level science prerequisites like Orgo.

Are you looking to go for Medical School?

• Brohoof 1

Are you looking to go for Medical School?

The answer to this question may lend itself to even more questions from some, but yes I am going to be applying to several Med School programs. I have been doing hours of Physician shadowing, collecting several LoR's, volunteer work, and also prepping for the MCAT.

It's a process and a half. ;)

If I achieve this goal my degree path will have been business > computer science > med. Not exactly traditional.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...

I tried college twice and dropped out both times.  Just couldn’t focus.  

Now that I’ve gotten meds for adhd and stuff maybe I go back.  If I even find something I really wanna do, but I dunno.