Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

fandom q+a Jenn Blake Q&A

Simon

Hi Jen, and thanks for taking the time out to support this wonderful cause and talk to your adoring fans :kindness:

Have you ever thought about teaming up with last weeks Q n A guest Ward Jenkins,???

It would be great to see what the two of you would come up with for MLP :rarity:

• Brohoof 2

I've been following superheroes since before i could read, my dad has collected comics since the golden age for you youngings thats the 1930s to roughly 1950s. he read everything to me as bedtme stories so they have been part of who i am since i can remember.

I love the idea of derpy as batmare it cracks me up sorta why i draw pinkie as supermare the idea of characters that are clumsy or insane as characters that are very stoic serious and sane is to me entertaining.

Aw man, you grew up on Golden Age stories from your dad, that is FANTASTIC!  :D

And yeah, it's definitely a fun idea to mess around with in my fanfiction.  Derpy's fun in general trying to flesh out as a character in writing since we don't have a whole lot to go off of in the show, so you can do quite a bit creatively with her, and it's doubly fun getting to do so while trying to write her as a dark hero of the night. :derp:  I should know, I've written over 100,000 words in an as yet unfinished fanfic about just that.  ^_^

I guess speaking of fan-art then, what type of fan-art/projects in the fandom do you like to follow (if you follow any, that is)?  :muffins:   You follow primarily visual art, or work some fan music/fanfiction/fan vids/etc. in there?

• Brohoof 2

I do have a bit of a surprise to show you all and you will all be the first to see this as it wont be posted on twitter or fanpage for sometime as is pretty apparent i'm sure you can all tell i'm a huge DC fangirl and i'm working on the first new 11x17 print for 2016 and i think its going to be pretty awesome, as it combines the DC trinity with some pretty "looney" characters so i hope you all enjoy this sneek peek

post-36674-0-10392300-1449964672_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 10

Since we're around the halfway mark for the Q&A, I want to put out a reminder to everybody that this Q&A is in support of Making Christmas Merrier. If you'd like to read more about MCM and consider making a donation, check it out here: https://mlpforums.com/topic/142299-making-christmas-merrier-iv-bc-childrens-hospital-charity/

I also want to mention that we have a huge load of signed prints by Jenn Blake available for auction. 100% of money bid in the auction goes to support the BC Children's Hospital through Making Christmas Merrier. We already have bids totaling more than $500, and there's still plenty of time to outbid eachother and nab your favorite print. We also will have more items coming throughout the day!  Check out the auctions here: https://mlpforums.com/forum/212-traders-exchange-charity-auctions/

• Brohoof 2

Sappho's cutie mark is a modified take on the lesbian symbol, as someone who is openly and very proud to be and out lesbian woman, i gave sappho that cutie mark not so much as to say her talent is lesbianism though i guess that could be a talent rawr lol but more as a way to show young lgbt to not be afraid to be who they are and be proud. so the symbol being sapphos mark is just about being proud and strong in who you are no matter what really

I thought that symbol looked familiar. That's a really nice message for a cutie mark to send, and it's nice to have a fellow lesbian joining us today ;)

Bit of a random question, but are there any other cartoons that you especially like?

(Also 10 is the best doctor I'm glad he's your fave too)

• Brohoof 3

Good day ms.blake. :)

Since you seem to have a thing for fashion and obviously everything that looks beautiful, how much can you compare yourself with the pony Rarity? Since she is also all about Fashion.

And also, what is your favorite movie? :P

• Brohoof 2

What are your favorite and least favorite MLP comic issues, respectively?

Favorite so far in the series has been and forgive me for not remembering the issue #s but the thru the mirror storyline where you saw an alternate earth take on the characters where sombra was good and celestia was evil, i love multiverse type stories like that probaly why i love dc comics as much as infinite earths have always been a huge part of that universe of characters. least favorite i dont honestly thing i have a least fav as each one has something about them i enjoy be it one of the other artists i admire like Tony or Agnes who are two my of my favs on the books and also just really great people to know in real life.

Hi Jen, and thanks for taking the time out to support this wonderful cause and talk to your adoring fans :kindness:

Have you ever thought about teaming up with last weeks Q n A guest Ward Jenkins,???

It would be great to see what the two of you would come up with for MLP :rarity:

I would love to team up with the others that work on the show or even the comics and see what kind of crazy stuff we could come up with, i think peter new and i honestly have a good time when we hang out at cons, and could make a pretty awesome comedy duo if we ever leave mlp and try new things..he has a bigger background in sketch comedy n stuff but that is another of my dream jobs is to one day try stand up comedy

Aw man, you grew up on Golden Age stories from your dad, that is FANTASTIC!  :D

And yeah, it's definitely a fun idea to mess around with in my fanfiction.  Derpy's fun in general trying to flesh out as a character in writing since we don't have a whole lot to go off of in the show, so you can do quite a bit creatively with her, and it's doubly fun getting to do so while trying to write her as a dark hero of the night. :derp:  I should know, I've written over 100,000 words in an as yet unfinished fanfic about just that.  ^_^

I guess speaking of fan-art then, what type of fan-art/projects in the fandom do you like to follow (if you follow any, that is)?  :muffins:   You follow primarily visual art, or work some fan music/fanfiction/fan vids/etc. in there?

I dont know if i follow that much fan-art i guess more so cause you dont want to get to influenced by what others do in the fandom cause there is so much amazing art out there that all of you create, so many of you deserve to be seen more cause the work is amazing. i dont really see much of the fan music and all that, i find the more you professional work on something the less you actually delve into the fan side cause u end up bein so busy working on the property so i fear the day i do a dc book and i no longe have the time to read as much as i do now lol

• Brohoof 4

Green Lantern hands down best comic book character as far as comic series there are some pretty out there titles by the writer Grant Morrison that are pretty trippy but i highly recommend such as his title The Invisibles, his run on Doom Patrol is another crazy weird take on some old dc characters, if you like just strange ideas that can really make u go what in the world??? Morrison is the guy to read.

Oh, his run on Batman definitely caught my eye. Of course, it didn't hurt that Capullo was the artist. I intend on checking out Morrison's work on Wonder Woman Earth One. I'm hoping with the new solo film and her character being featured on BvS that more new fans are drawn in to the character. 

30ea31057431a581f1c41e0f310cc5cb-d8iks24

Anyway, next question ... I made sure to pick up Friends Forever 14 when it came out. Adorable as always. Not sure if you caught a certain episode that aired this past season ... but in general I love that you got to handing the art for a Diamond Tiara issue. Did anyone clue you in about said episode before you started work on the issue? What are your thoughts in general about the characters of Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon having spent some time on that issue?

If you haven't seen the episode I am referring to ... here is an apology Rarity. 

post-25990-0-08709300-1449965236_thumb.png

• Brohoof 2

Favorite so far in the series has been and forgive me for not remembering the issue #s but the thru the mirror storyline where you saw an alternate earth take on the characters where sombra was good and celestia was evil, i love multiverse type stories like that probaly why i love dc comics as much as infinite earths have always been a huge part of that universe of characters. least favorite i dont honestly thing i have a least fav as each one has something about them i enjoy be it one of the other artists i admire like Tony or Agnes who are two my of my favs on the books and also just really great people to know in real life.

I believe those issues are #17-20.

Anyway, do you ever have deadline pressure?

If so, how do you avoid pulling a Twilight from Lesson Zero?

• Brohoof 2

I thought that symbol looked familiar. That's a really nice message for a cutie mark to send, and it's nice to have a fellow lesbian joining us today ;)

Bit of a random question, but are there any other cartoons that you especially like?

(Also 10 is the best doctor I'm glad he's your fave too)

Lesbian Pride!!!! wooohooo lol

i may watch too many cartoons if that is possible, i love everything looney tunes related and have finally gotten around to seeing the Looney Tunes show and omg the Lola in that is hilarious and voiced by SNL vet Kristen Wiig and she cracks me up, Lola Bunny was a very early crush of mine and made crushing on a cute rabbit much easier then when bugs was in drag and it confused my lesbian brain lol.

outside of looney tunes i love all the DCUA stuff from the series like young justice and jlu to all the animated films they do, i love family guy and bobs burgers i tend to like some of that more adult stuff cause my sense of humor can tend to be on the more R rated side of things...#notagoodrolemodelkids

i watch alot of 80s toons too still, transformers, she-ra, superfriends i watch this mlp cartoon too that seems to be all the rage these days too who knew lol

Good day ms.blake. :)

Since you seem to have a thing for fashion and obviously everything that looks beautiful, how much can you compare yourself with the pony Rarity? Since she is also all about Fashion.

And also, what is your favorite movie? :P

I can compare myself too much to rarity at times, specially the somewhat overdramatic and high maintence side of her at times, i may actually pack the same way for cons as she did for going camping though i rarely actually have a sweetie belle with me lol.

i have been told though like rarity i can be very generous which i hope in all honesty is true i really do wish to always be there for others and help as much as i can when i can .

favorite movie....probally Who Framed Roger Rabbit...cause Jessica *swoon*

• Brohoof 6

...That sneak peak image is hilariously awesome.

Right, few more questions if it's not a bother?  :grin2:

When you were developing your skill with art, were there any artists you looked up to in particular? Like, professionals that you either looked up to, or inspired some stylistic choices or anything of the sort.
Also, do you have any major art-related personal projects you are planning for the future?

• Brohoof 2

I dont know if i follow that much fan-art i guess more so cause you dont want to get to influenced by what others do in the fandom cause there is so much amazing art out there that all of you create, so many of you deserve to be seen more cause the work is amazing. i dont really see much of the fan music and all that, i find the more you professional work on something the less you actually delve into the fan side cause u end up bein so busy working on the property so i fear the day i do a dc book and i no longe have the time to read as much as i do now lol

Righto, that makes sense.  It's hard even as a fan following fan art considering how much there is.  ^_^   Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I got a question for ya.  B)

What's your favorite comic book romantic couple (doesn't have to be from one of the Big Two, wherever, whoever, your choice)?  :kindness: 

And... what's your favorite Batman romantic pairing?  :twi: 

Actually, I'm kinda surprised we haven't had more shipping questions in here yet.  :please:

P.S. That sneak peek image was amazing and definitely lived up to the hype.  :wub:

• Brohoof 2

Oh, his run on Batman definitely caught my eye. Of course, it didn't hurt that Capullo was the artist. I intend on checking out Morrison's work on Wonder Woman Earth One. I'm hoping with the new solo film and her character being featured on BvS that more new fans are drawn in to the character. 

30ea31057431a581f1c41e0f310cc5cb-d8iks24

Anyway, next question ... I made sure to pick up Friends Forever 14 when it came out. Adorable as always. Not sure if you caught a certain episode that aired this past season ... but in general I love that you got to handing the art for a Diamond Tiara issue. Did anyone clue you in about said episode before you started work on the issue? What are your thoughts in general about the characters of Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon having spent some time on that issue?

If you haven't seen the episode I am referring to ... here is an apology Rarity. 

attachicon.gifimg-2382867-3-Rarity_(Grand_Galloping_Gala).png

I did see the episode and i was like well they just undid everything Jeremy wrote about lol

but really no i don't think we are informed too much about what the show is doing unless perhaps we r doing something storywise that might be something the show wants to do, being as new as i am though i just may not be in that loop yet like say katie or andy being the big names who have been there from the beginning.

I will say i was actually happy that DT and SS were the characters i got to start off with as well cause they were not characters i really paid much attention to from the show, so it was nice to get to delve into characters that even for me were sorta new so it gave me alot more freedom i think in some cases to do things then say if i had to focus solely on Rarity or Pinkie Pie which by the way is the friends forever i want to do the most is those two together cause u never see it and i think would make for the best issue ever!!! and i want to draw the hell out of that story someday.

I believe those issues are #17-20.

Anyway, do you ever have deadline pressure?

If so, how do you avoid pulling a Twilight from Lesson Zero?

Always deadline pressure, cause the books are all approved by hasbro sometimes that can take awhile so say you have 2wks left in a deadline but it takes the higher ups a week to approve something you can be left with just a week with no extension so in the case of that which i did face cause at the time of my issue the weekly event fiendship is magic was in high gear being approved i gave up sleeping and just worked as hard as i could as the new kid to make my deadline to make sure i was proving myself dependable to the editor of the books.

• Brohoof 4

...That sneak peak image is hilariously awesome.

Right, few more questions if it's not a bother?  :grin2:

When you were developing your skill with art, were there any artists you looked up to in particular? Like, professionals that you either looked up to, or inspired some stylistic choices or anything of the sort.

Also, do you have any major art-related personal projects you are planning for the future?

I have alot of different artists that have influenced my work and i've learned alot from, the biggest of those names is J.Scott Campbell he is like my god and so much of how i draw my women and even techniques ive learned like using white jelly pens in my at have come from what he does, nowadays he is a cover artist for alot of marvel comics series but he started in the early 90s on a title called Gen13 which had one of my favorite characters ever Freefall who was soo 90s cute chick that i so want to cosplay someday .

outside of Campbell, artists like Arthur Adams, Jim Lee, Todd Nauck have been artist ive admired and studied and of course Chuck Jones who worked on some of the best looney tunes shorts has been a huge huge influence infact there is a very wile e coyote gag in friends forever #16

i do have 2 things i'm currently working on that will be coming out in 2016 1 mlp related and one that is something very much outside of that but im excited for and have been working on that just this week so far when my laptop was allowing me to access my dropbox that is other then those i have some ideas i'm submittin to some publishers that i hope might get picked up

Righto, that makes sense.  It's hard even as a fan following fan art considering how much there is.  ^_^   Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I got a question for ya.  B)

What's your favorite comic book romantic couple (doesn't have to be from one of the Big Two, wherever, whoever, your choice)?  :kindness: 

And... what's your favorite Batman romantic pairing?  :twi: 

Actually, I'm kinda surprised we haven't had more shipping questions in here yet.  :please:

P.S. That sneak peek image was amazing and definitely lived up to the hype.  :wub:

i think im obligated to say Sapphity lol Sappho and Rarity

but really ive always enjoyed Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon. or some of u know them better as Robin/Nightwing and Batgirl.

hands down though Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy best couple and so glad DC made that an official thing well as much as they did

Hey Jenn Blake. We had a convo at Chicago Comic Com 2014 with my sister but you probably don't remember.

You probably got this already but who is your best pony and best episode?

Wizard World? it can be hard to know from a screen name but i'm sure if you shared ur name n stuff i would remember ive gotten much better and doing that cause all of you that come to my tables really mean alot to me, i would not be where i am without all of you.

i am always happy to state Rarity is best pony and i have to say s5 gave us the best set of episodes ever with that lil Rarity Trilogy we got

Your art style in the Friends Forever with Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon is strongly identical to anime/manga, IMO.

Was that an intentional inspiration?

honestly no ive been getting told that a few times now and i honestly am not even that much of an anime or manga viewer/reader at that point i had really only seen rosario+vampire but i can easily see that being something that came thru in the issue cause i was watching that as i worked on it, but oddly enough anime/manga is not really a style ive studied or done i think that is one of the interesting things about art is that subconsciously we do things we dont even notice but the reader will pick up on

• Brohoof 6

but really ive always enjoyed Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon. or some of u know them better as Robin/Nightwing and Batgirl.

hands down though Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy best couple and so glad DC made that an official thing well as much as they did

Babs and Dick are seriously adorable together (and this never ceases to amaze me considering they're both Gotham-based, but darn it, they're just so darn cute and upbeat!  :wub:).

And ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I should've clarified that I meant what your favorite romantic pairing with Batman is (though I did recently rewatch the B:TAS episode "Harley and Ivy" and that pair is just pure joy, so I concur... and I'm almost still shocked they were able to come out with an episode like that in, like, '93 or '94 I think  :catface:).

But yes, to clarify my previous question, who is your favorite person to see romantically paired with Batman? (and obviously this doesn't have to consider whether or not he could ever make any long term relationship work out, not at all)

• Brohoof 2

Okay so one last question, then I will stop bothering you!!!

Is there one comic, that you worked on or perhaps a specific character that was specifically difficult to draw?

Oh also I just took a look at your prints, and I now have to go run and check my bank account!! 

• Brohoof 2

I have alot of different artists that have influenced my work and i've learned alot from, the biggest of those names is J.Scott Campbell he is like my god and so much of how i draw my women and even techniques ive learned like using white jelly pens in my at have come from what he does, nowadays he is a cover artist for alot of marvel comics series but he started in the early 90s on a title called Gen13 which had one of my favorite characters ever Freefall who was soo 90s cute chick that i so want to cosplay someday .

outside of Campbell, artists like Arthur Adams, Jim Lee, Todd Nauck have been artist ive admired and studied and of course Chuck Jones who worked on some of the best looney tunes shorts has been a huge huge influence infact there is a very wile e coyote gag in friends forever #16

i do have 2 things i'm currently working on that will be coming out in 2016 1 mlp related and one that is something very much outside of that but im excited for and have been working on that just this week so far when my laptop was allowing me to access my dropbox that is other then those i have some ideas i'm submittin to some publishers that i hope might get picked up

Wizard World? it can be hard to know from a screen name but i'm sure if you shared ur name n stuff i would remember ive gotten much better and doing that cause all of you that come to my tables really mean alot to me, i would not be where i am without all of you.

i am always happy to state Rarity is best pony and i have to say s5 gave us the best set of episodes ever with that lil Rarity Trilogy we got

honestly no ive been getting told that a few times now and i honestly am not even that much of an anime or manga viewer/reader at that point i had really only seen rosario+vampire but i can easily see that being something that came thru in the issue cause i was watching that as i worked on it, but oddly enough anime/manga is not really a style ive studied or done i think that is one of the interesting things about art is that subconsciously we do things we dont even notice but the reader will pick up on

Ah yes that Rarity trilogy.

Also, what was your favorite comic to draw and favorite comic overall?

• Brohoof 2

Babs and Dick are seriously adorable together (and this never ceases to amaze me considering they're both Gotham-based, but darn it, they're just so darn cute and upbeat!  :wub:).

And ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I should've clarified that I meant what your favorite romantic pairing with Batman is (though I did recently rewatch the B:TAS episode "Harley and Ivy" and that pair is just pure joy, so I concur... and I'm almost still shocked they were able to come out with an episode like that in, like, '93 or '94 I think  :catface:).

But yes, to clarify my previous question, who is your favorite person to see romantically paired with Batman? (and obviously this doesn't have to consider whether or not he could ever make any long term relationship work out, not at all)

Right what Timm and Dina did in the early 90s is always amazing i think you see some of that bounday pushing with gags in tiny toons and animaniacs too there were alot of more adult level humor that u know went way over most of the audience for those but u watch them now and your like omg they put that in an episode!.

I think the normal answer is we love to see Bruce with Selina cause that seems like the one woman that would be his match but to be honest i love what the JL animated series did and put the romantic tension between Bats and WW cause honestly i would have love to seen that really explored specially in the comics, though they went with the Supes and WW angle which i understand in some aspects cause they match power level wise but to me Bruce could more satisfy Diana on a mental level as well if that makes sense

Okay so one last question, then I will stop bothering you!!!

Is there one comic, that you worked on or perhaps a specific character that was specifically difficult to draw?

Oh also I just took a look at your prints, and I now have to go run and check my bank account!! 

You are not a bother happy to answer all your questions.

as far as difficult so far not really, i will say that i don't draw Twilight as well as i do the other characters and that is cause i think cause she is my least favorite of the mane 6 that actually shines thru in how shes drawn compared to the others, its something i started to notice the more i was doing mlp art that i would look at a finished piece and if Twily was with the others she always looked like i rushed thru her it something i tried to not do when i recently did the new mane 6 prints for conventions hopefully twily was shown a bit more love then i was doing in the comics and earlier prints

One final question, and then I'll shut up:

Do you see yourself ever becoming an official animator for the actual show and/or the EQG movies?

Thank you for your time, BTW.

Sadly probally not as animation is all very much a digital medium now and that is just not something i have been able to grasp

character designer i could see possibly trying to do some day, though honestly i would love to work on the EQG doll line and design fashions for that cause lets all be honest bronies!....i have no clue what they are thinking over there with some of the stuff they put those dolls in???!!!!!!!

Ah yes that Rarity trilogy.

Also, what was your favorite comic to draw and favorite comic overall?

I personally loved the variant i did for FIM #30 being power ponies was a mixing of my loves Superheroes and Ponies and i might be doing something powerponies/eqg related in 2016.

overall comic wise i love love love Green Lantern and Geoff Johns run on that character was and still is the strongest and best stuff in that side of the DCU

• Brohoof 5

I love your artist lineup. And yeah, I think I can see some of their influence shine through.  :lol:

Few more questions.  :P

How do you compare the atmosphere behind the comic compared to what the show seems to project? I haven't read too many of the comics just yet, but I've gotten the impression that they seem to be a bit more 'free' with their exploration of events or general plot. Kinda curious what someone who has worked on said comic has to say regarding that.

Also, what's your convention experience been like since joining up with the fandom? I remember seeing you at Nightmare Nights, and it seemed like you had a pretty awesome set up.

• Brohoof 3

You are not a bother happy to answer all your questions.
Okay if you don't mind one more!!

So, if I am correct you did/do work in the fashion world? If this is true what did you do, like did you actually sew the clothing or just design them. And if so did you find that harder then if you were just drawing a picture for a comic?

• Brohoof 2

I think the normal answer is we love to see Bruce with Selina cause that seems like the one woman that would be his match but to be honest i love what the JL animated series did and put the romantic tension between Bats and WW cause honestly i would have love to seen that really explored specially in the comics, though they went with the Supes and WW angle which i understand in some aspects cause they match power level wise but to me Bruce could more satisfy Diana on a mental level as well if that makes sense

You-Have-Chosen-Wisely.jpg

One of the few comic book series I've read was Batman: Hush, and THAT'S when I think I fell in love with the BatCat pairing (specifically when I came across this shot):

3240758-batcatkisslg.jpg

(can Jim Lee just please draw those two forever and ever and everrrrrrrr  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: )

But you're right, it's more than the fact that they aesthetically complement each other, she's pretty much a member of the Bat Family and she has this understanding of Bruce that really no one else does (including Talia, I can't stand Talia and Bruce).  She's a child of Gotham through and through like Bruce is and they've both, despite their very different pasts, been shaped by the city in their own ways.  They toe the gray line nicely and even remind each other of important things; Selina often reminds Bruce that decision-making isn't necessarily as black-and-white as he'd like it to be, Bruce sometimes reminds her that there are better ways to help Gotham and people she cares about besides skirting the law, it's great.  I think she's even one of three "villains" in Batman's life who are incremental to his character (though I use that term loosely for her, of course), the other two being Joker and Two Face.

Actually, speaking of B:TAS, fun fact, Paul Dini, I've noticed, seems to love, love, LOVE BatCat, so any time that pair shows up in anything he's worked on, you can pretty much bet they're going to be great together, he really seems to get that pair.  They're even great in that short he wrote for one of the later B:TAS direct-to-video releases, "Chase Me" and they don't even talk to each other in that!

As for Bats and WW, I liked what they did in the show cause it was executed so well, but I oddly really love WW and Steve Trevor the most in any of her stuff.  I don't like her pairing with Supes mostly because I'm a bit of a traditionalist with Supes and Lois, but also I just don't think it's necessary for Supes and WW to be paired together.  Him loving Lois to me kinda highlights an aspect of his love for humanity in general, and like you said, WW and Supes don't mentally complement each other quite like Bats and Wondy do.  But yes, my favorite Wonder Woman pairing would definitely have to be WW and Steve Trevor.

Let's see, one last question from me before this wraps up... Are Batman and Superman your favorite bros in comics?  B) (I hate it when I hear people say they don't work well together)  Thank you again so much for your time with us and answering all our questions, it's been very gracious and charitable of you to do so!  :muffins:

• Brohoof 3