Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open Mechquestria: My Life As A Equine Robot (00110010)

Denim&Venöm

@@Denim&Venom,

"You still doubt me and her yet again listing her faults, you mention nothing of the successes she had in saving Equsetria from countless threats, I personally can't stomach anymore of your pessimism, I will remain here in the city and near the campus until I'm ordered away, anyone who's interested I will tell them the truth like you if no one accepts i'll move on to somewhere ponies will." Emerald turns and walks to the door. "for all our sakes I hope you are right and this is nothing to worry about...I hope." Emerald leaves.

She is now on the hunt for Angel she wants to relax after that encounter...

@@Randimaxis,

---

"Don't mention it my..." she stops before she says the word human. "...my friend no one is going to scrap you, not while i'm around." 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@@Randimaxis,@@captainborgue,  

"You still didn't answer us about what you really are, Mr.Griffon." 

"Y'know, there's a chance that he might be, y'know.. human?"

​CD & Screen Cap looked at each other for a moment.

"Bwahhahahaha!"

"A human? Please. Like they'd spend the fortune to somehow construct an transdimensional receiver, just to equip it to a bot made from obsolete tech?"

"And all that effort, just to sneak into a college of all places? And if they did, they'd get someone like a spy or a method actor to play the role, not someone who can't get a studdering mechanic right. Diamond Dogs have a better chance of making it into space then humans do possessing and using technology under circumstances like this.  

"I mean yeah, we've got uploaded humans here in Equestria. Pretty much the only way they can exist here. But operating though layers of soil, concrete, steel, atmosphere and transdimensional obstacles, woudl take a tremendous amount of power, enough that us and anypony or anyone with descent energy mapping equipment would be able to trace it. You'd be grabbing the attention of every country in two worlds. So yeah, nice try there Share." File Share did not look amused. 

CD then heard the mention of the box she was working on. "Oh this thing? Yeah, it does look like a lock box doesn't it? But in fact, it's an AI external storage device. Possibly the first of its kind built for that purpose. What were trying to do is get whomever's in here, out into the compatible model in the testing chamber. But first, we gotta properly wire it in and make it forwards compatible." She said as she plugged more cables in, which rewarded her with a few sparks. 

"Um, wait get in?" said File Share to Twitch's inquiry. "Get into the college as a student or get into the lab as a researcher?

Sub lab hallway

Livewire peaked her head out of the lab. "Remember Captain. Those who work to prevent wars, are usually the ones who start them."

Edited by Denim&Venom
  • Brohoof 2

@EvybodyEvybodyInnaHouseNow

Though Twitch didn't react, Grant's face fell and heart sank as the two labbies absolutely went all out in what appeared to be a jolly old-fashioned round of human-bashing.  He knew humanity was flawed; hell, he'd been one all his life.  He'd seen how they treated each other, the world around them... and what sorts of lows humans were capable of when it came to profiteering.

However, human history had ALSO been marked by some of the most incredible beings to have ever human.  Benjamin Franklin, Nikola Tesla, Mahatma Gandhi, Martin-Luther King Jr., John Lennon... the list went on and on.  People who believed that imagination, a sense of unity and a kind outlook on life would be the keys that would carry humanity into the future it deserved... not the one it got.

Regardless, he kept his hurt feelings and his opinions to himself - he hadn't reacted to the rest; no reason to draw any attention to it, lest he renew their search on him.  He did, however feel a bit of sympathy for File Share - it would figure that the correct one would be laughed off, but he still wished he felt safe enough to admit it; the smug look on BOTH the other labbies' faces dropping to the floor as File Share laughed at them would have been priceless at this moment... but no.

Getting closer, but not intrusively so, to CD and the box, he asked, "You know, I have a teeeeeeeny bit of experience with reverse engineering; do you think I could help?  And," he turned to File, "I just want to know about getting into the college; chances are, I'm not smart enough to work in here."

Grant gave a slight sly smile beneath the headset.

I completely agree - the kind of power that an impossibility like Twitch needs would bring up all sorts of alarms and notice; that's why I had to build the battery, too.  I'm fairly certain I AM smart enough to work in here... what's more, these pones could actually understand me when I talk about what I do!  And even respond intelligently!  

But that would have to mean either expecting them to accept me no matter who I am... or doing everything I can do to keep anypony from EVER knowing the truth about what makes Twitch 'glitch', so to speak?

Twitch simply waited to see what would be said.

• Brohoof 1

Bee listened intently to Twitch's story- it was familiar to her, as she had been on death's door once too. But it hadn't been full transference that had saved her, and she had no experience of Earth of Terran tech. From what she had heard though, it didn't sound like a place she wanted to go to. But there were some aspects of his story that just rubbed her the wrong way... and VLAD's alert status had been creeping upward this whole time. Bee knew better than to trust him, but she couldn't ignore him, either.

"It takes a great deal of skill to innovate, let alone using outdated or scrapped components. I admire your tenacity and sense of self preservation, you have done more to save yourself than most beings ever even dream of. I understand the feeling of desperation, of vulnerability- the reason I have VLAD, the reason for all these fancy implants you see? I was dying once, too. It's not an experience I would wish upon anypony, that's for sure," Bee said, mentally restraining VLAD. "But there's something that doesn't quite add up. See, I saw the massive Concussion Generators you deployed earlier to impress your friend. I'm assuming it was CG's, anyway, I don't know anything else that would be that size. I also saw some of the, shall we say, appendages you were using to dislodge my swarm bots. While I commend the desire to learn, it looks to me like you have quite a bit of threat hardware. Why is that?" Bee said, trying to keep her tone neutral.

"VLAD HAS SUGGESTION TO MINIMIZE THREAT POSED," VLAD blurted, finally exerting enough control to seize Bee's vocal comms. "IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO REMOVE POSSIBLE WEAPONRY WITHOUT DISASSEMBLY. FORCEFUL DECONSTRUCTION OF A TERRAN SENTIENT MAY BE SEEN AS A HOSTILE ACT. VLAD PROPOSES THAT AN ORGANIC CONSTRUCT BE ASSIGNED AS CONTROL MECHANISM TO PREVENT DEPLOYMENT OR USE OF POTENTIAL WEAPONRY."

Bee shook her head vigorously. "Wait a minute... VLAD, are you saying Twitch needs a chaperone" Bee asked, incredulous.

"CLARIFICATION REQUEST: HOW WOULD PROTEIN FOLDING ENZYMES BE IN ANY WAY RELEVANT TO A CONSTRUCT? BUT NO, VLAD IS PROPOSING A MORE INFORMAL STRUCTURE. A PEER ASSOCIATION INTENDED TO FOSTER INTEGRATION, ENCOURAGE SOCIALIZATION, AND USE SOCIAL PRESSURES TO ENSURE COMPLIANCE, AS OPPOSED TO RIGID EXTERIOR CONTROLS."

"I see. So, VLAD, you are saying twitch needs to have friends around?"

"YES. THIS IS WHAT VLAD SAID. ORGANIC MUST WORK ON LISTENING SKILLS."

It wasn't a bad idea, actually. If Twitch were emotionally invested here, that would serve as a means of discouraging hostile intent. Of course, Bee still intensely disliked the idea of a droid with unknown technology, being remotely piloted no doubt from Earth itself, running around on campus learning about their technomagical innovations. There had not been any hostility with Earth, but that didn't mean they could be so naive as to assume there couldn't be.

Bee sighed. Life was easier when all she had to worry about was squeamish students wigging out about bugs. Although, that gave her an idea. "You know, there's another possibility here. We could leave a swarm bot with you. Nothing invasive, just optics. Think of it like a pet, of sorts. I can even program it to only stream data under specific parameters- like, if it detects, say, your carapace opening. I think VLAD's idea, combined with a 'pet' swarm bot, may prove most beneficial to everypony," Bee said, as an optical swarm bot emerged from her cranial implant.

• Brohoof 2

@@captainborgue,

"you want to spy on him? No I will go with him a pet that is a poor word for spying on him, if he's a threat, either me or the many security guards here will disable or destroy him." She looked back to Twitch. "sorry that sounded scary, um what I mean is he needs friends not a spy bot, or let him make it and program himself not what you want." 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@Randimaxis,@Emerald Bolt@captainborgue,  

"Well, getting into UEQM would just be a matter of passing the admissions test. Same as all the others here, Pony, Equinoid-" she paused as she looked at him a little longer than a glance. "Or otherwise." She then heard Vlad's recommendation. "Um are sure these are things we can decide? I mean first he has to past admissions, then find availability in classes. The swarm bot is gonna be noticed, and questions will be asked. Word of this is gonna reach Live Wire. 

"The weapons thing would be a problem. Campuses are still a bit stringent on that for some reason. Though somehow you managed to get in just fine, so either your censor mask is that effective or your weapons don't match the criteria for confiscation. And the stuff on there is pretty dangerous, so, your probably not" She then considered his offer to help with the containment unit. "Well, I suppose I could use your input. Technically I did bring you in as a project. Heck, since you did build an entire functioning chassis off just Terran tech, you just might now what you're talking about, whomever or whatever you are." CD waved Twitch over. 

"This box right here is made primarily of Terran tech as well, parts dating thought the 2000 & teens. Mixed in are also the earlier forms of Equestrian hardware & software. That's one of the things that surprised us. Equestrian & Terran components being used in the same device, over a decade before first contact was made public."   

Back at the lobby @@reader8363

"Well nopony is touching the desk now that Livewire had her hissy fit over there." Said Tomcat, as she took a break from pretend signing and allowed the party to slow down a bit. "Grrraaaaooowww!"  "Hey, whattya know." ​She said, noticing a pony tinkering w/ Deloris. Both her and Daffidaisy began to move over to the desk. 

"So, it looks like maintenance finally sent somepony to deal w/ ol' Deloris here. Though I don't know why you'd be trying to fix her. She doesn't even have an AI. She's just automated." She said to the colt trying to fix her. 

"Grrraaaooowww!"

Edited by Denim&Venom
  • Brohoof 2

"Threat Hardware? OH!  The hardware I use in Twitch is technically non-lethal; the speakers I showed Bass earlier are part of a vibration-soudwave focal system, as the speakers themselves can be shaped and warped to project sound with maximum force.  It isn't like a blade or a gun; it's more like a giant, double-barreled jackhammer... sort of.  I might be able to crank enough power into them to really do some damage, but Twitch's hull wouldn't be able to maintain integrity - he'd shake to pieces."

It did feel good to actually be able to talk to others who could follow without fifty million questions or so.  

"As for hiding things, well... I'm really packed with hardware because, let's face it, there's no telling what I would need to be prepared for.  So, I chose to try to be ready for anything; nothing wrong with trying to cover all the bases, right?"

Twitch's face clicked into a grateful grin as he heard Crystal defending him.  

"I don't know how to thank you; you've really done everything you could to make things better for me here - and that means quite a great deal to me.  I owe you, Crystal."

He listened to the suggestions made about how to help him along here, and somewhere inside, a small bulb of hope clicked on.  

Maybe there's some magic here yet.

He sort of spoke in Bee's direction.

"Uhm, VLAD?  I think you're completely right; I wouldn't mind someone to help me out as... a student aide, maybe?  That might go over well on the records, and would be a boon to anypony's college extra-curricular interests.  Or... will that even work?"

Turning, he came over to look even closer at the lockbox at Professor CD's invitation.

"Over ten years before..?  Wow.  Most of the Equestrian tech is familiar enough; that Terran tech, on the other hoof, is EXACTLY the kind of stuff I worked with when I started envisioning Twitch!  If you can deal with the EqTec side, I can definitely get the TerTec side - see?  There's the hole I was talking about on the TerTec side, but the mechanism looks... different..."

Grant grinned in his mattress-divot; finally, something he COULD look competent doing!  Twitch's iris telescoped right out of its socket, and zoomed in on the spot in question.  A smaller panel opened, and a thin manipulator arm with two 'fingers' and a 'thumb' came whirring out.  A sliver of metal extended from its 'palm' and slid neatly into the hole.

"This is... a dual-trip combo lock.  That means if we're going to reset it, it'll have to be both sides in unison.  That would be where you come in - old EqTec like this ran on magic, not picks; you may have to find the trip-trigger bar inside with a Teke spell."

Both human and robopony smiled; his first real success in Equestria - maybe as simple as opening a box, but still a success.

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis,@Emerald Bolt@captainborgue,  

"Well, getting that open would make getting it forwards compatible. We just didn't want to risk fumbling with the lock in case failed attempts destroyed whomever is inside. So we had to spend weeks boring into the box and hard wiring it from there. If we can unlock it, we can adjust it, and provide a smoother upload for whomever is inside." 

• Brohoof 1

@@Denim&Venom

Twitch's grin slid into place again.  

"That's the beauty of it - these locks were made with the idea of two guards at once opening it; safety in numbers, right?  We don't actually have to unlock it; if we can hit both trip-triggers at the same time, we can RESET the lock to whatever settings you like - it'll only be a matter of setting it to fit whatever key you create.  Then it can be opened as if you were the original owner."

Grant didn't feel superior to the pones while he spoke; on the contrary, he felt like he was finally beginning to show his value. 

"I'm sure you folks have the materials needed to make a metal key, so all it would take would be to trip the EqTec trigger on one side, and the TerTec trigger on the other... probably at the same time."

@@Randimaxis,

"Makes me wonder what inside here is so scary for that to be the case. Were ponies so scared of artificial intelligence 100 years ago? It's hard to conceive of, especially today.  To think that my own Hardrive, OS or even my AI, the things makes me, me,  could be locked away in something like this. It's sobering." 

CD sent the schematics for the keys over to the 3D printer in the corner. "Hopefully we won't be needing this thing, since whomever is in here will be uploaded into the compatible chassis we found." 

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis,

Crystal had to convey her message before he became too open, whispering did not work so she took out a tablet and started scrolling through information until she found what she needed the application he made she broke a few rules on campus to find it, and had to use some tech she was supposed to use when she was working on her military assignment to do it. She at this point had to do it before he blundered.

{Email: T.Glitch@Manehttantec.EQ.govt.}

{{Priority}}

Twitch this is Crystal hi.
Your need to watch you langue you sound too human, and yes I guessed that you are behind that cute robo face of yours, just watch your words.

Crystal Note.
{Email}

She looked up from her pad and smiled at him, waiting for him to acknowledge her email.
Edited by Emerald Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

@@Denim&Venom

Feeder turned around to see two students standing there. He got up and said as he hid a small screwdriver under his hoof  and held out the other one,

"I was just wondering if it was alive or not. Please to meet ya both, name's Feeder."

He looked at both of them, trying to figure out which to learn about, then he'll apologize for it. 

• Brohoof 1

@@reader8363,

"Meh, she's always been like that. Do this campus some good to hire an actual receptionist."  She saw the hoof being offered to her. She hoof bumped it. Maybe a little hard. "Names Tomcat." said the desert camo painted pegasus. 

"Grrrraaaaaooowwwww!" bellowed out the H.R. Gierger-esq metal monstrosity next to her w/ a glass encased pony skull on it's head. 

• Brohoof 1

@@Denim&Venom,@@reader8363,

Emerald got back to the main entrance she was keen to find Angel and if she was not there maybe her friends would be able to point her in the correct direction. She found one of the guards fiddling with the receptionist and there was two other ponies of note, that she saw in the lobby talking to the guard... (not sure where Angel is) 

• Brohoof 1

@@Denim&Venom,@,

Feeder said as he went back to the receptionist and putting the pieces back together,

"I think it's great to have a robot as a receptionist. At least, they don't slack off and ya don't have to pay them."

Once he was done, he wrote done what he might need and turned it on. He looked over the desk to see a pegasus in armor. He walked up to the armored pegasus and said, 

"Hello, name's Feeder."

• Brohoof 1

@@reader8363,

"Wasn't saying anything wrong with having a robot receptionist. Just having one with a conscious would help."

"Grrraaaoowww!" 

@,

"No" "Come on just a little bit!" "No." "Just a vague hint of what went down!" "No." "But I've taught you so much!" "You also taught me not to screw things up by saying too much." "Yeah but this is different." "No it's not." "Yeah huh it is!" "Nope." "Spill the beans and I'll stop heckling you!" "Not a chance." "...please?" "No." "Please!" "No." "Please!!" "No." "Please!!!" "No." "Pretty please!" "No." "Pretty please with a Cherry.jpeg on top?"    

Embex continued to hound Angel all the way back into the lobby. 

• Brohoof 1

@@reader8363,

"Um hello there Feeder, my name is Emerald pleasure to meet you I suppose." It was obvious she was disinterested in him at this moment.  

@@Denim&Venom,

Emerald heard a familiar voice as Angel came into view, she left Feeder she just wanted to talk to Angel at that point, kissing her would be nice. "heard you two from down the hall." pointing to her ear, with her hoof. "You stop bugging my... um well special friend I suppose we need to talk about that..." 

• Brohoof 1

@,

Angelscape was obviously tried of Embex's barrage of questioning, head hung low, forehead creased. Imagine the 180 that happened when she heard Emerald's voice.  "Ooooohh, special friend..." Embex said as she said that in a low voice next to Angel's ear. "I knew something special was going down, you coul-"*clank!* her muzzle was met with armored back hoof from Angel, leaving her her cross eyed & stumbling.   "Oh hey! Back so soon? Guess that mission of yours didn't take too long." Acting as if nothing had happened. 

• Brohoof 1

@@Denim&Venom,

Emerald chose to ignore the common assault Angel just preformed, "Um it was not going to take long and I went as well I thought it would, Live Wire was not very cooperative with me, I need to take my mind of the job i'm having the rest of the day off now to relax from him and his 'opinions'." Emerald took out her radio, she then told her subordinates to have the rest of the day off too then replaced her radio. "So Angel i'm free now for well how ever long I want really being in my position allows for it, you can do what you like to me..." Emerald winked at her almost entirely ignoring Embex.

• Brohoof 1

@,

Angel tired not to grin like an idiot.  Key word being tried. She tried to compose herself. Again, key word. "I think I've got a place where we can go." She draped her tail over Emerald's neck and lead her towards the entrance. The both walked past Embex, who was trying to smooth out her dented muzzle. She paused. Turned towards her and the two other bots at the desk. "Best find someplace else to sleep tonight girls." She curtly notified them, then continued on her way towards the dorms, Emerald in tow. 

"Wow. We just got kicked out for the night. By Angel of all ponies. Usually it's Embex pulling that stunt." "Grraaaoowww." Embex walked over to Tomcats side. "I'm gonna borrow this." She undid a panel on Tomcats side, fiddled a round with a few buttons, and activated her repair arm. She grabbed it and held it too her muzzle.  

• Brohoof 1

@@Denim&Venom,

Feeder turned around to  what was happening. he jumped over the desk and landed next to Tomcat and said as he looked for his notebook, 

"I didn't notice that. I'm guessing you are a cyborg or maybe a robot. But, I'm betting on you are a cyborg. May I ask you a few questions."

He turned to the new one and said, 

"I take it you are some kind of bot."

• Brohoof 1

@@reader8363,

"A cyborg? Hmmmm..." Tomcat began to look over her jet thruster legs, her desert camo chassis,  her still crumpled wing, her paint job scraped away in a few places, the cybernetic echo in her voice, the robot arm extended out from her back, etc. "Well if I am, I'm probably the most cyborg pony in all of Equestria." Embex halted the repairs on her muzzle using Tomcats arm. "What gave it away?" she said dryly.     

• Brohoof 1

@@Denim&Venom,

Feeder said as he turned to his bag and started pulling out his stuff, 

"It basically was just a guess. So, may I ask you a few question, and I might be able to help you with your repairs."

He found the things he needed and started putting the rest away in his bag

• Brohoof 1

@@Denim&Venom,

As they walked, "What do you have in mind if you kicked your room mates out for the whole night? I mean where are they going to sleep, I don't want them homeless for a night on account of me, I'm not that important despite my position..." Emerald thought back to what Live Wire compared her too she was disheartened by it, she sighed.

• Brohoof 1

@@reader8363,

Tomcat shrugged. "Ask away. Though, I prefer to do my own repairs."  "Grraaaooowwww!" chimed in Daffidaisy. "​Hey, if you think you can do better, be my guest." commented Embex as she was straightening out her muzzle and adjusting one of her metal saber teeth. 

@,

"Oh, they'll just recharge on campus, probably in the student lounge we were in. UEQM has a lax policy of students staying overnight. Besides, it's not the first time they've been kicked out. I'm usually the one joining them as Embex brings over folks to offer her 'services' too. Apparently being a queen makes her an expert in love, so she brings over those seeking dating advice or having intimacy issues. She's trying to make it official by majoring in reproductive therapy. Don't worry, they have a contingency plan." 

Something about the way Emerald's tone dropped off caught  Angel's attention. "Hey. Everything alright?" 

• Brohoof 1