Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

animation Your Anime Opinion.

Rivulet

A good anime to start with is Soul Eater.

It isn't terribly long, the story is not complicated, and the anime is just really cool overall.

It was the first anime I ever watched.

• Brohoof 1

It really depends on what kind of genres you like. Personally I really enjoy drama and comedy but some action is pretty good as well. I don't really like mecha animes though (anime about robots).

As a beginner, I strongly suggest you NOT TO WATCH long-ass anime shows with 300+ episodes like Naruto, Dragon Ball, Bleach, One Piece etc because since they are so long, it's hard to get an overall view how anime is like and it'll make you one of those extreme fanboy/girls everyone in the anime community dislike because they refuse to watch anything else. Haha anyway, it's perfectly fine to watch those shows but please do not watch them as your first anime experience.

If you like action, try out Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, One Punch Man or Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. If you're any interested in drama, try out Clannad, Angel Beats, Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai or Toradora. Comedy anime I personally like are Lucky Star, Nichijou, Yuru Yuri, Azumanga Daioh and Joshiraku. These are all just examples of course, there are so many good shows out there but I just gave these examples because they're well made (you don't want a shitty experience your first time) and they're not 7500 episodes long *cough* I'm looking at you Sazae-san.

Shorter ones can either be really good or looking like it's rushed.

Longer ones can drag it out a long time though I have no regrets on One Piece and Naruto. They detail out their universe pretty well.

Edited by cider float

* i'd love to suggest my favourite anime, tokyo ghoul, but unfortunately that anime really doesn't make a lot of sense if you don't read the manga first. i made that mistake, but loved the anime so much i went out of my way to read all the manga afterwards.

* how about soul eater, death note, kill la kill or even one punch man? there's others but my brain isn't cooperating with me tonight.

I am not sure what your personal tastes are so I am going to reccomend a few that are from different genres.

Dragon Ball/Z/GT: This has effectively the gold standard for Shonen(boys) anime. It is divided into 3 series and is partially based on the classic Chinese novel Journey To The West. The first series Dragon Ball is the closest to Journey to The West and is my personal favorite of the 3 series. It is mostly action but also has a great mix of humor thrown in as well, it is the main character Goku during his childhood years though he is in early adulthood at the very end. Dragon Ball Z and GT get heavily into sci fi yet still maintains the martial arts themes of the original.

One Piece: If you like pirate and adventure themed stories than One Piece might be for you, as fair warning though it is a very very long series and is still ongoing. It revolves around this pirate crew called the Strawhat Pirates and their adventures, their captain Monkey D Luffy's goal is to becoming "king of the pirates" like the legendary pirate Gol D Roger who hid a treasure called the One Piece. This series has a ton of mysteries and is full of plot twists, has a lot of action with some humor mixed in as well as a lot of sad moments as well. Some of the arcs can drag on but it is worth it. If I had to sum it up I would say that One Piece is about friendships and following your dreams.

Cowboy Bebop: It is relatively short with only 26 episodes but is worth a look. It is set in the year 2071 and follows a bounty hunter crew, it is a fairly dark series that explores some heavy themes with the main character Spike's past constantly catching up with him.

Death Note: If you like a good detective story/thriller than you might like this one. A shinigami (essentially a grim reaper) named Ryuk got bored one day and left a death note on Earth, a death note is a special book where if you write someones name in it than they will die. Yagami Light gets a hold of it and uses it to cast judgment under the alias "Kira" on "evil doers". The legendary detective "L" is trying to find out who "Kira" is and bring him to justice while Ryuk watches the events with great amusement.

Id recommend against starting an anime that already has hundreds of episodes, you'll never find the time to sit down and watch it all. Start with something smaller like Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood , or perhaps something a little bit longer (140 episodes or so) Hunter x Hunter. I really enjoyed both of these.

I've been an anime fan since olden times.  Some good, short series I would recommend:

Serial Experiments: Lain

Paranoia Agent

X (by Clamp)

Chobits

A couple of good full-length movies

Princess Mononoke

Metropolis (Osamu Tezuka)

• 3 months later...

I don't recommend really long series like One Piece or Fairy Tail when you're starting out, and definitely not comedy. I'd go for more obscure drama series if it was me, but I don't know your style...

Honestly there's a lot of really good anime, most have already been mentioned. I'll just say this. Do not watch anything by A-1 Pictures. It's just my opinion, but they produce absolutely horrible shows.