Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Where do you want to live in the future?

Dsanders

What do you think of Svalbard? Have you ever been there?

I think Svalbard seems like a really awesome place to live, but then again I love the cold.

I haven't been to svalbard, I live Trondheim.

I'd imagine it's way too cold up there, it's basically no summer to speak of  :lol:

Have you ever been there? 

I dunno, up to the north of the US, preferably on East Coast, like North Carolina. Maybe some place in Canada too, but the time to decide has yet to come. I just wanna get away from the getto, to a more peaceful place. I don't mind some rural place in the middle of a forest, those forests are beautiful 

• Brohoof 2

I would love to live in a small little village up in the high mountains, Somewhere in like the Himalayas, or somewhere similar. I would want to live right in the center of the village in a house about the size of a small studio apartment, where then I would set up my music and art studio. The house would have very cute decor, and I would live with my shiba inu (When I get one, ofc) I would also go skiing every day, just by myself.

• Brohoof 1

Somewhere in like the Himalayas, or somewhere similar.

Fuck, that's my kind of paradise. I change my mind. Sweden would be easier and more cost-efficient to settle down in but if I could live anywhere in the world, I'd love to live near the Himalayas. 

There I could pursue my dream hobby of mountaineering and climb the highest peaks in the world.

• Brohoof 2

Some place nicer to look at with more sun. It's amazing how much it can improve my mood. I feel like anywhere in America would be good. Maybe Australia at a stretch. I can't imagine American culture would be that hard to get used to, but I did hear that you guys don't have kettles, which scares me.

We have kettles. I mean why wouldn't we? Hell I just finished a nice cup of tea before hopping on here.

(Any queries on American culture, don't be afraid to ask, as an ambassador of my beloved country.)

I live in Norway and can't say I have much incentive to leave  :lol:

It would be cool to live in the US, since it's the technological capital of the world. But work and culture wise it's not for me.

I'd maybe also want to live in a hotter area, because of the cold winters here in Norway. The problem is that even the summers here are at times too hot for me, I do like it a bit cold. I'm Nordic after all  :)

Well we do have our share of hotter places, Texas, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, take your pick. We also have nordic cultural centers (glorious melting pot that we are), although those are more in the more climate northeastern states like Maine and New York or the frigid Midwest states like Illinois or Minnesota. (The latter's football team is called the Vikings for a reason.) So you've got your pick of places based on temperature and culture criteria.

What on earth is a kettle? o.o

That should confirm it for you, by the way. =P

A kettle, like a tea kettle. We have those! One's sitting in my kitchen behind me!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

Oh I actually forgot to answer the question silly me. Hmmmm . . . well there is Long Beach Island in New Jersey, not to be confused with New York's Long Island. I was almost raised there. Every summer we would go down and be with our cousins. Cookouts, walks along the boulevard for the shops, my first job as a trashman, best pizza in the world, the almost complete lack of big chain stores, Fourth of July fireworks, the cool, fresh, salty breeze coming off the ocean, hearing the waves greet you in the morning and sing you off to sleep.

Yeah, Long Beach Island would definitely be a place for me to live one day in peace. Either that or Philly the city of brotherly love as well as my birth.

What can I say? At least one of us is bound not to despise where they came from.

If I was to go international, I would at least live for a long while in Hong Kong or one of the less crowded provinces of China to truly dedicate myself to my Kung Fu studies. Of the countries I've visited, and that's quite a few, Greece would be a strong contender for a place to settle down in.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 2

No, we do have kettles. Just us ignorant Americans don't know what they are actually called.

Hey! Different places different terms. I don't call British people "wrong" for referring to an elevator as a lift. Such is, "kettle" vs. "tea pot."

In fact . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Na7b5MiVak

Just to further clarify/confuse things, plenty of Americans in my experience use some of the English terms, myself included.

* i'm more than happy staying in the same country, but i guess a nicer area.. a richer area, i guess, but i know i could never afford that.

* i'd love to live in Japan or America though. if America, i don't know what state, but i think it'd be pretty cool. my best friend and her boyfriend have talked about the idea of moving to America before, so i'd like to think that if they ever did and i had the money, i'd totally move with them.

• Brohoof 1

* i'm more than happy staying in the same country, but i guess a nicer area.. a richer area, i guess, but i know i could never afford that.

* i'd love to live in Japan or America though. if America, i don't know what state, but i think it'd be pretty cool. my best friend and her boyfriend have talked about the idea of moving to America before, so i'd like to think that if they ever did and i had the money, i'd totally move with them.

That would be so cool to move not alone, but with friends. Like a big adventure.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 2

If it's possible by then I wouldn't mind living on Mars or another terraformed planet.

I think the moon is a more likely estimation at least in the short term. Yeah though, being among the first to really live off world would be exciting.

• Brohoof 1

Ever since watching DS9 as a kid-teen I always wanted to be on a space station.

I'm much less of a space explorer myself. I didn't really grow up with Star Trek or other series that made outer space there primary setting. Plenty of stuff I watched had an outer space episode but that was it, a brief sojourn not a true migration.

As I am older now, the expansion into space is more something I see as a great epoch of human civilization rather than a personal desire, if you catch my drift. Thus I would like to live off planet moreso as an ambassador and booster of progress than an earnest settler or bold pioneer.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

Honestly, Id love to move to Japan sometime in my life. I've always loved how beautiful Japan was and the culture has interested me since I was small. 

me too, especially anime.

I'm much less of a space explorer myself. I didn't really grow up with Star Trek or other series that made outer space there primary setting. Plenty of stuff I watched had an outer space episode but that was it, a brief sojourn not a true migration.

As I am older now, the expansion into space is more something I see as a great epoch of human civilization rather than a personal desire, if you catch my drift. Thus I would "like" to live off planet moreso as an ambassador and booster of progress than an earnest settler or bold pioneer.

Nice to see i'm not the minority here when it comes to the vast majesty of the endless void.

• Brohoof 1

Nice to see i'm not the minority here when it comes to the vast majesty of the endless void.

Oh are you kidding? Outer space is one of the best settings for stories! (I'm a writer so I just contextualize stuff by fiction.) Just as you said, it's void, meaning you can project whatever meaning you want on to it. Is it a literally endless source of adventure, the very solution to planetary problems like resource depletion and overpopulation, the domain of forces and intelligences beyond mortal ken (screw you very much Lovecraft  >_> ), a magical canvas by which humanity can work its will and forge or create on a grand scale, a combination of these things?

Practically, outer space is hope, it's the logical "next step" or at the very least step along the lines of where we are going. I for one, can't wait to bare witness to how Martian culture will differ from Earth and Lunar culture.

. . . . True I won't be alive to witness it, but still.

• Brohoof 2

Oh are you kidding? Outer space is one of the best settings for stories! (I'm a writer so I just contextualize stuff by fiction.) Just as you said, it's void, meaning you can project whatever meaning you want on to it. Is it a literally endless source of adventure, the very solution to planetary problems like resource depletion and overpopulation, the domain of forces and intelligences beyond mortal ken (screw you very much Lovecraft  >_> ), a magical canvas by which humanity can work its will and forge or create on a grand scale, a combination of these things?

Practically, outer space is hope, it's the logical "next step" or at the very least step along the lines of where we are going. I for one, can't wait to bare witness to how Martian culture will differ from Earth and Lunar culture.

. . . . True I won't be alive to witness it, but still.

Couldn't agree with you more on all of this. I'm fascinated by what other life could possibly be out there in the unknown even if it's something brutish like the Zerg or intelligent sentient beings like the Protoss.

• Brohoof 1

I would love to live in a cold climate such as Norway, Canada, Finland or even in the Alps. I would not want to live in Sweden due to all the problems there :T. But otherwise, I would love to live in either Britain or Germany :D

• Brohoof 3